Mini 211: Stooferbridge GAME OVER

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:19 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Welcome to Stooferbridge!

GAME OVER: Estate Agents Mafia (Seol, PookytheMagicalBear and Loudmouth Lee
replacing Schrademan
) win!

Stooferbridge is a beautiful little village (population:
2, at least for now), nestling on the banks of the River Stoofer, in a most delightful part of the English countryside. It was described in the Domesday book as a hamlet of no importance, and little has changed in the 1000 or so years since.

You can see how pretty the village is from the picture above, by local artist Ted Maul. In the foreground is the bridge over the River Stoofer (from which the village takes its name); and also the local pub – the focal point of the social life in the village. In the background you can just make out the delightful Norman Church which has recently been restored by the Parish Council.

Until recently Stooferbridge was a happy and peaceful place, if rather sleepy. Neighbours would routinely pop round for a friendly chat and a cup of tea. You could leave your door unlocked when you went down the pub for a drink. And it’s fair to say that brutal murders and wanton acts of mob justice were fairly rare events.

But all that is about to change. A cloud hangs over the village. Something is rotten, and it is up to the good people of the Stooferbridge to root it out and destroy it.

The Residents of Stooferbridge

Seol (
Estate Agent boss/Mafia Godfather
)
Loudmouth Lee
replacing Schrademan
(
Estate Agent/Mafia Goon
)

The Residents of Stooferbridge Cemetery

niMic (
Pub Landlord/job investigator
) : cut up Night 1
Astronaut (
Butcher
) : cut up Night 1
Sineish (
Baker/Butcher's lover
) : lynched Day 1
La Paloma (
Miller
) : impaled Night 2
Save The Dragons (
Doctor
) : lynched day 2
Vman (
Paranoid brutal cop
) : impaled night 3
PookyTheMagicalBear (
Estate Agent/Mafia Goon
) : cut up night 3
Fritzler
replacing Splosion
(
Postman/SK
) : lynched day 3
rolandofthewhite (
Barmaid/Roleblocker
) : killed in endgame
Lucresia (
Newspaper Editor(sacked)
) : killed in endgame

Pro-town roles in green
anti-town roles in red

Day 1: Dawn - Dusk
Day 2: Dawn - Dusk
Day 3: Dawn - Dusk
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:27 pm, edited 39 times in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:19 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

RULES
(adapted from MeMe’s and DP’s rulesets)

[01] Votes must be in bold. If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted.
[02] Please be attentive and unvote, if necessary, before casting a new vote. This is not required, but I’d appreciate it.
[03] Lynching will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, their pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. Feel free to post in twilight, though.
[04] You may vote: no lynch. Majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.
[05] If I impose a day deadline, lynching will require at least half of the regular majority at deadline. In case of a tie, first come first served. In the endgame (six players or fewer) only lynches with a regular majority will occur.
[06] When I set a day deadline, the deadline lasts until I actually lock the thread.
[07] The game is not to be discussed outside the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so – and then only at night.
[08] Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. You can make a single “Bah!” post but no relevant information.
[09] Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts.
[10] Don’t quote any PMs from me. If you do, I will destroy you.
[11] If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you. If you do not submit a choice to me, I’ll make it for you and you won’t like it.
[12] If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
[13] Unlike other mods I am fallible. Please point out any mistakes I make gently. In particular, if I post a vote count that does not accurately reflect your vote, it is your responsibility to correct me. If you don’t your vote may be treated as it appears in the vote count.
[14] If you have any questions at all, please PM me or post the question in the thread.
[15] Remember, it’s a game and it’s supposed to be fun. Be nice to your fellow players and your mod. I have zero tolerance for abusive posts.

The pro-town players have the following win condition:
The Mod, to the good guys, wrote:You are pro-town and win when peace has been restored to the village.
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:16 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

BLOODBATH IN STOOFERBRIDGE!

The sun rose over a scene of carnage in Stooferbridge this morning, revealing a double slaying the like of which has not been seen around here for months.

Police were called to the Stooferbridge Arms shortly before 3am, where the Landlord, niMic, was found brutally murdered in his own bed. His body had been slashed repeatedly by a sharp instrument and he had been left to bleed to death. So much blood had been spilt that the entire first floor of the pub was soaked in blood. There were no signs of a struggle – he appeared to have been killed in his sleep.

Meanwhile, another grisly scene unfolded on the other side of the village. The body of Astronaut was discovered at about daybreak this morning. He was found, stone dead, lying in a pool of his own blood, a trail of blood leading back about 100 yards to his own home. It appears that he was attacked at home, where his assailant cut his throat from ear to ear and then dragged him to the spot where he was found, and left to bleed to death.

The obituaries of the deceased appeared in the local newspaper,
The Stooferbridge Echo:
NIMIC

niMic was the genial Landlord of The Stooferbridge Arms, Stooferbridge’s pub. It’s a fine establishment where virtually the whole village comes each night for a pint (glass of white wine for the ladies). Its success was largely a result of niMic’s good management and friendly style.

As the landlord, niMic was the host to this nightly gathering and was able to learn much about the village and its residents. A brief chat was normally all he needed to learn the occupation of anyone he met.

ASTRONAUT

Astronaut was Stooferbridge’s butcher. He had lived in the village his whole life and was well liked by all.

In later years, there were rumours that Astronaut had some dark secret. Various theories – entirely without evidence – were touted. It seems that he has taken his secret to the grave. Or has he?
In the wake of these two brutal murders, mob justice is sweeping through Stooferbridge. A large and angry mob is now gathering in the The Stooferbridge Arms intent on lynching whomever is responsible for last night’s bloody outrage. The word is that as soon as a culprit has been identified, they will be strung up from the large oak tree in the pub beer garden.

There is something about this in the editorial column in
The Stooferbridge Echo:
The Echo Says:

This newspaper fully supports the initiative of the village to root out the perpetrator of these foul deeds by means of the age old tradition of lynching. The Landlord of our pub, and another man (unidentified at the time of writing) have been brutally slain. If one word is apt to describe these killings, it is “butchery”. Therefore,
The Stooferbridge Echo
has no hesitation in recommending the village’s butcher, Astronaut for lynching. You just have to look at him to see that he is capable of this sort of thing. Especially his hair. We urge all our readers to
Vote: Astronaut
for a brighter tomorrow.
~~~~~~ The Editor
With 10 inhabitants of the village left alive, it will take 6 votes to lynch.
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sineish
Sineish
Goon
Sineish
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:41 pm

Post by Sineish »

Interesting.

Random
Vote: Lucresia

S.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:43 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

STOP PRESS

Save The Dragons has been badly injured overnight – cause unknown. Are his injuries linked to last night’s bloody events? Whether they are or not, he will be unable to make more than two contributions to today’s debate before having to retire to his bed.
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:07 pm

Post by rolandofthewhite »

Vote: Sineish
. I hate math. :x
Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos.
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:07 pm

Er... But I love your icon. 8)
Astronaut
Astronaut
Goon
Astronaut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:27 am

Post by Astronaut »

Hmm...what was that word I was looking for again? Oh yes, I've got it. BAH!
Mod wrote: Astronaut had lived in the village his whole life and was well liked by all.
Yeah right :x

Go town!
[size=84][i]Have you been peckish during the night? Only, someone's been at me cheese.[/size][/i]
Splosion
Splosion
Townie
Splosion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:37 am

Post by Splosion »

VOTE: Pooky
because obviously, how is s/he up without Garfield?
>look Splosion

>You see a large Ecks Splosion in the distance. That had to hurt.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:01 pm

Post by Seol »

Stoofermoddykins wrote:niMic was the genial Landlord of The Stooferbridge Arms, Stooferbridge’s pub. It’s a fine establishment where virtually the whole village comes each night for a pint (glass of white wine for the ladies). It success was largely a result of niMic’s good management and friendly style.
Hail to the ale!

Let's hear it for the beer!

I wonder whether the character would appreciate the irony of winning the
Perrier
award...

Anyways,
vote: La Paloma
because I haven't even heard of her (or is it a him?).
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
La Paloma
La Paloma
Townie
La Paloma
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:24 pm

Post by La Paloma »

Him actually, Sheol, but a little gender confusion never hurt anyone ;) Nice ta meetcha!

Query for the Mod
: in light of the Dark Rumours surrounding Astronaut and today's editorial - will we be informed of Players' alignments (Pro-Town/Anti-Town) apon their death?

Particularly relevant to that editorial. Have we just lost the town SK, or an unlucky townie with the unfortunate "ability" of looking guilty when investigated? (I've seen a Butcher role used that way before). It'd be nice to know how accurate the editor's results are.

Random
vote Splosion
. Explosions are cool. :D
[size=75]La Paloma
[i]Telephone sex is one of the great blessings and benefits of modern life and can be too easily taken for granted. So let us spare a thought for our forebears, who had to do it by semaphore...[/i][/size]
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:39 pm

Post by Seol »

La Paloma wrote:Him actually, Sheol, but a little gender confusion never hurt anyone ;) Nice ta meetcha!
Nice to meet you too!

And it's Seol, not Sheol. I guess we're even on the mix-up details front now. ;)
La Paloma wrote:
Query for the Mod
: in light of the Dark Rumours surrounding Astronaut and today's editorial - will we be informed of Players' alignments (Pro-Town/Anti-Town) apon their death?

Particularly relevant to that editorial. Have we just lost the town SK, or an unlucky townie with the unfortunate "ability" of looking guilty when investigated? (I've seen a Butcher role used that way before). It'd be nice to know how accurate the editor's results are.
I was thinking exactly the same thing, and almost asked just that question, until I noticed:
Astronaut wrote:Hmm...what was that word I was looking for again? Oh yes, I've got it. BAH!
Mod wrote:Astronaut had lived in the village his whole life and was well liked by all.
Yeah right :x

Go town!
"Go town" seems to indicate he wasn't scum...
La Paloma
La Paloma
Townie
La Paloma
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:49 pm

Post by La Paloma »

Two oversights in just one post? Bah. Right, in future I drink my coffee
before
posting.
[size=75]La Paloma
[i]Telephone sex is one of the great blessings and benefits of modern life and can be too easily taken for granted. So let us spare a thought for our forebears, who had to do it by semaphore...[/i][/size]
Schrademan
Schrademan
Townie
Schrademan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:28 pm

Post by Schrademan »

There is a role like that, called different things in different games.

I doubt such a role would be "well-liked by town" though.
Splosion
Splosion
Townie
Splosion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:02 pm

Post by Splosion »

Maybe SaveTheDragons attacked the butcher, thus rendering him hurt?

Stupid theory for Day 1!
>look Splosion

Vman
Vman
Townie
Vman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:46 pm

Post by Vman »

Hmm. That's an interesting theory.

Vote: SaveTheDragons
for now.
Lucresia
Lucresia
Goon
Lucresia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:17 pm

Post by Lucresia »

omgus vote: Sineish

FOS: Savethedragons

I agree that could be a theory, but I am not sure since maybe you got hurt protecting someone? or someone tried to protect you and instead of dying you only got harmed?
[b]"and All anybody knows is you're not like them..."[/b]

- Elliott Smith
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:55 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

La Paloma wrote:
Query for the Mod
Sorry for the lack of clarity. The answer is "yes". The deceased were both pro-town and I've edited the front post to make this clearer.
La Paloma
La Paloma
Townie
La Paloma
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:43 pm

Post by La Paloma »

Bueno!

:D

Many, many thanks Mr Stoofer!

OK, so we've been lucky enough today to get the means to test one of our information sources, without that player coming out. We can see that the Newspaper Editor role apparently gets a big amount of info, but clearly isn't infallible.

It's interesting that the Editor apparently learns (among other things) the same sort of info (role name) as the Landlord would have got, but presumeably has to make that info public. Could bite us on the ass if he learns the identity of a power role. Wonder if the Ed was told that Astronaut was guilty or if s/he just jumped to that conclusion? (obvious caveat:
don't
come out and tell us just yet ;) )

Also interesting that the Editor apparently knew that there'd be a second murder, but had no info on that one. And likewise had nothing to say about Save The Dragons' maiming.

On that note, I don't think I'll draw any conclusions about that just yet - hopefully Save The Dragons will explain what he can in one of his two posts. And tomorrow someone else may be suffering from the post-restriction, and we can compare what they have to say then.

But to me, it doesn't make sense that whoever dragged the Butcher's bleeding corpse 100 yards away from his house is too hurt today to post much.
[size=75]La Paloma
Sineish
Sineish
Goon
Sineish
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:10 am

Post by Sineish »

The Editor of the Stooferbridge Echo wrote:This newspaper fully supports the initiative of the village to root out the perpetrator of these foul deeds by means of the age old tradition of lynching.
I don't quite see this sentence as having been written by one of us. I put forward the hypothesis that if there is an Editor role, that they get to specify who they will write the article on, and that the article is written for them. They may also get to specify if they wish to support or attack their target (through the article).
La Paloma wrote:Also interesting that the Editor apparently knew that there'd be a second murder, but had no info on that one
More supporting evidence that the editorial was not written directly by the Editor.

Of course, there could be no Editor role, and the editorial may have just been flavour. Either that, or we have a particularly eloquent Editor.

S.
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:38 am

I have a feeling that that we might have an editor role, though I think what the editor wrote was just flavor by the mod. I think there's a similar DP role in the wiki somewhere.

Er. Nope. The closest thing I could find was this:
Dragon Phoenix wrote:Reporter
You are a reporter. One time during the game you can send me an email with a name and I will tell you the full role – but you have to post name and role the next day, whether you want to or not. You win when the town wins.
Anyways, I agree that the person who dragged the corpse couldn't have been injured, so I'm thinking that it's not STD.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:56 am

Post by Seol »

Splosion wrote:Maybe SaveTheDragons attacked the butcher, thus rendering him hurt?

Stupid theory for Day 1!
Looks to me like StD was the target of a fairly typical post restriction role - which isn't that unusual as roles go. However, it would be dangerous to assume that's the case. It'll be interesting to see whether anyone else is post-restricted tomorrow, I'd assume that would clear that point up.
La Paloma wrote:It's interesting that the Editor apparently learns (among other things) the same sort of info (role name) as the Landlord would have got, but presumeably has to make that info public. Could bite us on the ass if he learns the identity of a power role. Wonder if the Ed was told that Astronaut was guilty or if s/he just jumped to that conclusion? (obvious caveat: don't come out and tell us just yet ;) )
Editor as a role? I'd assumed that was just flavour, a way of starting off the game - firstly as the function is very similar to niMic's role, and two practically identical investigative roles in a mini is a bit much, and secondly the way it introduces the flavour for the town being whipped up into a frenzy of mob justice so perfectly (especially the vote).

Of course, we can find out more about this tomorrow - if the Editor is a role, then we'll have another report in tomorrow's morning scene - and, after all, the Editor's investigation (if that's what it is) isn't really going to help us today, what with Astronaut being dead and all.
Splosion
Splosion
Townie
Splosion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:30 am

Post by Splosion »

so can we get a vote count? Maybe the Editor's role actually counts for a vote?
>look Splosion

La Paloma
La Paloma
Townie
La Paloma
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:00 pm

Post by La Paloma »

Seol wrote:the function is very similar to niMic's role, and two practically identical investigative roles in a mini is a bit much
Making me wonder if the Editor is actually some sort of Mafia Cop role.
Seol wrote:the way it introduces the flavour for the town being whipped up into a frenzy of mob justice so perfectly (especially the vote).
I for one would probably have followed that vote today, if Astronaut hadn't been dead, so to my mind that's a dangerous piece of purely flavor text. But yeah, the writing does read like more of Mr Stoofer's prose.

A thought regarding StD, Astronaut's corpse and the trail of blood - I myself dislike "Bomb" roles, so such a role which only post-restricts it's killer would be a nice variation for a mini-game. But until we learn more, I'm inclined to trust the flavor text (which has been a mistake I've made before, but hey...).
[size=75]La Paloma
Vman
Vman
Townie
Vman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:20 pm

Post by Vman »

I still think that it is entirely possible that StD got injured in the process of killing the butcher, but it is too early to say for sure. I am curious to see what he will say with his limited posts.

Unvote: Save the Dragons

Just a FOS for now.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”