Half-games (longish)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:40 pm

Post by Twomz »

@ polarboy: I used to do the same thing... except opposite. I'd join comp stomps because A) they usually don't take long and B) they're fun. I could easily build up a huge army and when one person started attacking someone else (ie, being an asshole) and swoop in and kill them... It's people like your friend who got me in trouble for staying on the game too long.

On topic, I believe it's easier to change "Night" than it is to change "Day." It's rather easy for one person to see their role, decide how best to use it (Usually a night action, or a day action, where most day actions - daykilling are concidered purely of town alignment) and use their ability to it's fullest potential, or at least some of it's potential. But, in order for most day abilities to be useful, the whole town would have to know of it, agree on whether the person is lying or not, and then each give their different ideas on how to use it, usually resulting in not using it effectively or at all. Most day abilities either affect votes (while being good, and usually protown, they don't normally affect the game that much), or are night abilities that can be used during the day (Daykill, etc).

The only other pure "Day" abilities would be like knockout players (make it so one person can't talk, or is restricted in some way) which usually detracts from the towns goal of talking to figure out who's mafia.
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:16 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

erm, I don't have time to read the whole thread, but I saw the first 5 posts or so, and I wanted to give an example of a game that puts a lot more emphasis on the day phase than the night phase. LmL's Game Show mafia. While I'm not too happy at being totally screwed over by the game, I still think he did a good job of making the day phase important, and certainly there was a lot of discussion, seeing as Day 1 went on for an almost recordbreaking length of time, if I recall correctly.
Permanent V/LA.
Jeff Probst
Jeff Probst
Goon
Jeff Probst
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:12 pm

Post by Jeff Probst »

Mastermind of Sin wrote:erm, I don't have time to read the whole thread, but I saw the first 5 posts or so, and I wanted to give an example of a game that puts a lot more emphasis on the day phase than the night phase. LmL's Game Show mafia. While I'm not too happy at being totally screwed over by the game, I still think he did a good job of making the day phase important, and certainly there was a lot of discussion, seeing as Day 1 went on for an almost recordbreaking length of time, if I recall correctly.
MUNSCM's Day 1 never ended... after 76 pages, methinks, it was still up and going.
The mod has spoken.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:42 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

Only 47 pages (Still the longest day one in the history of the game I think), but we were debating a resolution to nuke the US, and I think we were going to make a decision soon. Anyway, I was having loads of fun. We actually kept going for a while after Cuban Smoker disappeared before we even realized what was going on.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:27 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

was there a night phase in that game? lol
Permanent V/LA.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

No, the game started in day. But like I said, I think we were reasonably close to night one. Aso, I think subsequent days would have been significantly shorter.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:55 am

Post by Seol »

PolarBoy wrote:Only 47 pages (Still the longest day one in the history of the game I think)
Not even close.

Robinson Crusoe Mafia at Misetings (which I'm modding, and is still running) had a day 1 of 1728 posts (in a period of less than two weeks, as well), compared to the 1150-odd of that one, and though that's the longest one I've seen, I know there are longer ones out there. I've heard that Cartoon Mafia at the Magic Lampoon was over 2000 posts, and had a second thread started at the beginning of day 2.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:58 am

Post by Seol »

Oh, and whilst we're on the subject ot tweaking the day game, coming soon (hopefully) is Lights Out Mafia, which is open-setup, no abilities apart from the Mafia's nightkill, and...

...where night is optional.
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:37 am

Post by Fritzler »

Seol wrote:Oh, and whilst we're on the subject ot tweaking the day game, coming soon (hopefully) is Lights Out Mafia, which is open-setup, no abilities apart from the Mafia's nightkill, and...

I plan on only lynching and not going to night, unless im scum, cuz I can kill people there too
Last edited by Fritzler on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfs up dude.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:54 am

Post by Seol »

Fritzler wrote:
Seol wrote:Oh, and whilst we're on the subject ot tweaking the day game, coming soon (hopefully) is Lights Out Mafia, which is open-setup, no abilities apart from the Mafia's nightkill, and...

I plan on only lynching and not going to night, unless im scum, cuz I can [kill] people there too
Cool. Now I know your tell!
JechtMurray
JechtMurray
Goon
JechtMurray
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:00 pm

Post by JechtMurray »

Sounds good. Is it going to be here or *elsewhere*?
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:16 pm

Post by Fritzler »

Seol wrote:
Fritzler wrote:

I plan on only lynching and not going to night, unless im scum, cuz I can [kill] people there too
Cool. Now I know your tell!
I try. Just leveling out the playing field.
Surfs up dude.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:30 pm

Post by Seol »

JechtMurray wrote:

Sounds good. Is it going to be here or *elsewhere*?
I've had interest expressed here, and as a "pure variant" (I've already got some ideas about what roles the game could use, but the basic mechanics of it need testing), I think this is its home. So... here.

I've posted in the Free Market signup thread, I guess I just wait now?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”