Gedak
Goon
Gedak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:49 am

Post by Gedak »

Nominate Kagami for Rising Star

Kagami joined just a few months ago, but it's already clear that she's as good as, or even better than, most of the established players on this site. As town, she's extremely good at catching scum: in her finished games (Newbie 1450, Newbie 1448), as long as she was alive, scum was lynched every single day, with Kagamin on the scum-lynching wagon every time.

This is not a fluke: Kagamin doesn't rely on vague gut feelings but sound logical arguments. To see what she's capable of, take a look at how she figured out that Citizen is cop in the 1450 dead QT. Even more impressive is her reply #40 to toolenduso's #39 in the QT - she's frighteningly astute.

And best of all? She explains her arguments in a clear, easily understandable way, even when it involves relatively complicated mathematics. For example, look at her explanation of conditional probability in Pre-reroll Newbie 1450. She's not just a great player, but has the potential of making everyone here a better player.

Her joining is the best thing to have happened to this site in 2013.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:32 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

Oh yeah
second Kagami!
Art is cool.
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:44 am

Post by Guyett »

nth Kagami
I think a lot about meteors. The purity of them. Boom! The end. Start again. The world made clean for the new man to rebuild.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:44 am

Post by Psyche »

nth kagami

woah this chick is actually competent
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:39 am

Post by Jake from State Farm »

^ implies chicks aren't normally confident
Show
Things I've learned.
1. It's just a game, have fun.
2. Don't waste time on people who think you are scum. Ignore them and keep scum hunting.
3. Don't take everything so personal.
4. Tunneling sucks (unfortunately I can't seem to stop)
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:48 am

Kagami's thought process is ideally how I would like to play but end up getting distracted by townies who do anti-town things such as lurk/lie/troll/etc.

nth kagami
Show
Things I've learned.
2. Don't waste time on people who think you are scum. Ignore them and keep scum hunting.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:00 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 654, Jake from State Farm wrote:^ implies chicks aren't normally confident
not because they're chicks
because they're people
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:14 pm

Post by Mina »

Before the deadline!

Second Marketplace Mafia III for Most Enjoyable

Also,
Nominate Marketplace Mafia III
for Best Set-up[/b].
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:30 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 650, Gedak wrote:as long as she was alive, scum was lynched every single day, with Kagamin on the scum-lynching wagon every time.
wat
9. Baezu, Vanilla Townie, lynched Day One
6. Cabd (SE), Town Doctor, killed Night One
5. Guyett, Vanilla Townie, lynched Day Two
7. Bitmap (SE), Town Tracker, killed Night Two
1. Kagami, Vanilla Townie, killed Night Three
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
penguin_alien
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Post by penguin_alien »

^ In the interest of accuracy, Kagami didn't replace into that game until Day Three, on which day scum-PhDScar was indeed lynched.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:39 pm

Post by Faraday »

<_< how come it doesn't say anyone was lynched Day 3 then ._.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:39 pm

Post by Faraday »

Oh, never mind I missed he was modkilled after! never mind then.
DoctorPepper
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:50 pm

Post by DoctorPepper »

Nth Kagami

No exaggeration, she's legit.
Show
Keep calm and Drink Dr Pepper :)

Quarantine is driving me crazy :(

Get to know a Pepper!!!
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:12 am

Post by Faraday »

I guess we'll accept noms for another week-10 days or so, just to get any last minute stragglers nominated. But yeah! Nominate before it's too late.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:22 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

2nd Pieguyn for Rising Star

In order to support this second, look at Marketplace Mafia where pieguyn replaced into a lurker slot and turned it into 1 of 4 townie slots in the BIG SIX (the other three were: PeregrineV, who was extraordinarily town due to mechanics, Tammy/Syryana town, and Ffery/Cabd town).

Nominate Cabd for Best Replacement

I didn't really think there were any players this year that really stepped it up as far as replacing in to a sheer number of games, but as for what replacement you really really want to come in when your game is in trouble, it's Cabd. There's something about him reading every game on site that makes him a nice person to go to when deadline's coming soon and you don't really have to extend deadline anymore.

Nominate Mind Reader Mafia for Best Setup

This setup was centered around the role of the mind reader, who got access to everyone's personal QT and was known to be in the game and thus confirmed town. The setup allowed for a mostly mountainous game which ended up being pretty certifiably awesome; every townie had a mason/hydra partner to vent to, and every scum had one confirmed town who they had to find eventually but could also singularly choose to manipulate. Mastin was scum in this game and his QT was a fucking masterpiece.

Nominate Scumteam of Scummies Invitational for Best Scumteam

I'm not sure why this hasn't been nominated yet, considering two of this scumteam's members were nominated for Don Corelone based on this game alone? I thought this scumteam did pretty amazing in keeping the mist spreading and had a very strong core that each filled important roles (LLD for manipulating everyone ever, Matias for looking extremely genuine and playing beyond what most people expected from him, singer for pulling off genuine notes pretty excellently and playing to keep power players who were expected to read her placated).

Most Enjoyable Game:
I just want to reemphasize how fucking fun Xenoblade was. I've played a lot of other games this year that game close to being as fun as Xenoblade, but nothing quite reached Xenoblade's excellence because that game fucking rocked.

Nominate Babysitter (N's Notably Narcissistic Nonsensical Namesake) for Best Role

Babysitter is a role that acts as a doctor unless the babysitter is killed during the night, in which case it acts as a vig. Not only is the flavor name for it pretty brilliant (babysitter watches the baby, but if the babysitter ditches the baby the baby dies :o), but it's an extremely flexible role (play obvtown and get a vengekill, or play support and back up obvious town), and is an interesting way to tackle follow-the-PR/innocent strategies (and I plan on submitting an open setup based around this role after I type this up!).

Nominate Fire Emblem: Awakening for Best Mechanic
All roles in the game are designated as either 'male' or 'female'. Most male roles have the ability to propose to another player once per day. If the proposee is female, they can accept, and if either has a particular role modifier ('childbearer'), their child (the parent will know the child's rolename but not their role) enters the game the following day, and the family becomes a neighborhood. These families have their flips delayed until the entire family is dead, at which point all of them flip. The only closed aspect is how the child's alignment is determined.
I thought it was a pretty graceful way to integrate janitored flips, which is something that is cool but fucked up pretty easily, and this mechanic ended up creating really strange family dynamics (some families were loyal to each other to the point of being completely irrational, while others got very paranoid of each other very early) and effected game play in a really interesting way that I don't think anyone saw coming.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
1baldeagle1
1baldeagle1
Mafia Scum
1baldeagle1
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:28 am

Post by 1baldeagle1 »

3rd pieguyn for Rising Star
2nd Cabd for Best Replacement
You can find my meta on my wiki.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:31 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

2nd Mastin for best IC

Nominate Thor665 for Best IC

It's hard to get a gauge on who is best IC since newbie games are not at all read that often, but Thor's IC games are some of the only other newbie games that I've actually read and enjoyed! His style is great for teaching newbies how to lead a bit, gain confidence in reads, play logically; he is always extremely willing to breakdown his play and why he's doing what he's doing. He's also an incredibly consistent player, which is important in IC games, I think: yes, everyone has off games, but it's good to give newbies great first impressions and Thor's off games are generally when he is investigated early as scum or when he is wrecked by great newbie scumteams.

and i think those are all the nominations i meant to make but just never got around to doing
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:49 am

Post by notscience »

2nd thor for best IC

Second Cabd for best replacement
Eddard Stark
Eddard Stark
Mafia Scum
Eddard Stark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:41 am

Post by Eddard Stark »

2nd
Babysitter.
War has arrived!

PM me for Dead QT access!
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 628, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:mk. I've got one that definitely deserves it.

Nominate AngryPigeon's Sabotage Mafia for Best Setup

The town each had multiple 1-shot abilities, and the scum had the ability to "sabotage" them (block the ability). In addition to this, the scum had other 1-shot abilities they could use during the day and night, as well as a list of the remaining town abilities. Beyond the usual scumhunting/townhunting, this setup required both town and scum to use their abilities as advantageously as possible, and to challenge traditional tells (like a scum kill always belonging to a town player ;) ). There were some very interesting claims and working out how to organize reads was definitely a puzzle. Despite being power-heavy, the setup was expertly balanced, imo. It was unlike any other setup I've ever played.
2nd.
(Or third, depending on whether shos's nom counts.)
In post 645, Natirasha wrote:
Nominate the town of Fire Emblem Awakening Mafia for Best Town

The fact we lynched 4 scum consecutively, utilized the mechanic to bolster the towns numbers and deny the scum additional members(only one non town player got married!) Gave the town enough time to POE down the final two members of the scumteam.
2nd.

In post 649, pieguyn wrote:because no one's been nominated for this yet and mastin is awesome <3
Might be true, but I'm actually a better IC outside of newbie games than I am inside of newbie games. :P (For instance, my post-game write-up after Chain of Command, as probably the best example of an outside-newbie-queue IC write-up.)
In post 664, Nachomamma8 wrote:
Nominate Mind Reader Mafia for Best Setup

This setup was centered around the role of the mind reader, who got access to everyone's personal QT and was known to be in the game and thus confirmed town. The setup allowed for a mostly mountainous game which ended up being pretty certifiably awesome; every townie had a mason/hydra partner to vent to, and every scum had one confirmed town who they had to find eventually but could also singularly choose to manipulate. Mastin was scum in this game and his QT was a fucking masterpiece.
How the hell did this get missed?!?
Second.

Nominate Fire Emblem: Awakening for Best Mechanic
All roles in the game are designated as either 'male' or 'female'. Most male roles have the ability to propose to another player once per day. If the proposee is female, they can accept, and if either has a particular role modifier ('childbearer'), their child (the parent will know the child's rolename but not their role) enters the game the following day, and the family becomes a neighborhood. These families have their flips delayed until the entire family is dead, at which point all of them flip. The only closed aspect is how the child's alignment is determined.
I thought it was a pretty graceful way to integrate janitored flips, which is something that is cool but fucked up pretty easily, and this mechanic ended up creating really strange family dynamics (some families were loyal to each other to the point of being completely irrational, while others got very paranoid of each other very early) and effected game play in a really interesting way that I don't think anyone saw coming.
Second.

Also, an
Nth
to Thor-as-IC. Along-side Nacho (the current holder), when I think of most-competent-IC, it's him I jump to. Nacho and Thor are, quite simply, the best there is at teaching the game to newbies. And Thor's the best possible candidate to inherit Nacho's award.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Nom Cabd Rising Star.
Nom fferylit Rising Star.
Nom GuyinFreezer Rising Star

Really not sure why these ones didn't go through a while ago. All three joined late 2012/early 2013, and they all are prolific players who are consistently terrifying players as both alignments. I could start linking specific games here, like AMOL, Xenoblade, or any ffery game where she gets killed N1 because of how much of a threat she is to scum teams, but I would have to go through and link the vast majority of each of these players games, given that they all consistently put out a very high level of play. In particular, Cabd's metaknowledge+willingness to gambit, ffery's ability to organize and lead a town, and GiF's ability to control his presence in a game (look at Xenoblade and Touhou imperishable nights to get a sense of what I mean here) are major assets that they bring to the table as either alignment.
Om
Om
Goon
Om
Goon
Goon

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Post by Om »

Nth Kagami.

I was part of her newbie game so I'll be happy if she gets this.
I've read few games in which pieguyn was playing and he actually deserves better than just getting rising star. He is already in that group of players you would love to play with and against, at least for me.
Evil sometimes wears pleasant face.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #672 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:22 pm

Post by Venmar »

Second Cabd for Rising Star

Second fferylit for Rising Star
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #673 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:45 am

Post by quadz08 »

Nth Babysitter
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #674 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:16 am

Nth Cabd
Show
Things I've learned.

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”