Color = Black

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:12 am

Post by VisMaior »

To heck with voting!
daykill Thoth
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:16 am

Post by Nemesis »

Could I disagree with this bandwagon a moment. Not that many people posting in this thread so far so very few votes to lynch. You guys are scummy as hell for trying to lynch a vig. Even though he isn't a confirmed vig and it could be a scum set up. I think we should wait for a counterclaim.
FOS all three of you.

Also, I'd like to point out the more someone posts the less people are going to bother. For example, my posts are usually so long that several of them would take ages to search through, I use "D" "C" "P" and "O" fairly often too.

Calc a probability of a vig and you'd probably find him scummy as hell, but I think everyone should hide a claim first though. Although I'd expect that much hidden info to be spaced out in a normal game.
[url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=414662#414662]Damnit, Nemesis.[/url]
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:08 am

Post by Fiasco »

Seems to me that if you put enough time into it, you can settle on a code for any inter-scum communication you want, without being noticed. If they can do it already with a lot of time expense, maybe it's more logical to just allow scum to talk via PM by day?
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:13 am

Post by Seol »

Fiasco wrote:Seems to me that if you put enough time into it, you can settle on a code for any inter-scum communication you want, without being noticed. If they can do it already with a lot of time expense, maybe it's more logical to just allow scum to talk via PM by day?
QFT.

I've day-communicated with mason buddies before following an underivable and unnoticeable code. It didn't carry much information, but it wouldn't be hard to elaborate on that to the point where almost anything that was conceivably required to be communicated ould be done undetectably.

That said... if the scum try
that
hard, then surely they deserve rewards? Allowing daytalking just makes it too easy.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:14 am

Post by Fiasco »

On hidden claims in early posts: yes, in theory anyone could do that, but in practice, the fact that you went to the trouble does indicate you're more likely to have that role. If everyone coded their roles into their early posts, scum would either have to decide on their fake claims before having enough information, or they would have to encode all possible claims they might want to make. So it seems to me to be game-breaking, and should be either outlawed or considered unethical.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:17 am

Post by Fiasco »

Seol wrote:That said... if the scum try
that
hard, then surely they deserve rewards?
Not sure... I think scum should be rewarded for clever play, not for just putting a lot of time into thinking up a code and following it. (They should be spending that time participating in games instead. :) )

Maybe the best thing is not to allow day-talking, *and* not to allow codes. But that seems hard to define objectively. It's probably best to say that such codes are unethical and against the spirit of the game, and rely on the players not to use them too much.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:47 am

Post by mith »

So it seems to me to be game-breaking, and should be either outlawed or considered unethical.
I would suggest that in this case, it is up to the mod to ensure that the game is not broken by such ploys. Poorly designed games are routinely broken by mass claims, no lynch, etc.; you can't fault the players for trying to win.

Anyway, clever scum could code multiple roles in different ways.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:31 am

Post by Fiasco »

mith wrote:I would suggest that in this case, it is up to the mod to ensure that the game is not broken by such ploys.
What if that isn't possible for the kinds of game we like to play on the site?
Anyway, clever scum could code multiple roles in different ways.
I think this is as much a matter of having enough time to kill as of being clever. I can see it becoming a chore to do at the beginning of each game. A scum would have to foresee all the roles he might want to claim later, and put them all into his posts.

One way to hide multiple messages is to make more or longer posts, but that would look suspicious in itself; also, if you point at a hidden message in the third sentence of ten, people are going to ask whether you hid others in the other sentences. Clever townies will make an obvious first post that is not long enough to hide multiple claims in.

Another way is to hide multiple messages in the same amount of text, but that will make it sound awkward quickly. And once you've pointed at one message, people are going to look hard for the others...

PS: I do agree that players should get away (ethically as well as modkill-wise) with things like this if the mod has not explicitly stated otherwise.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:56 am

Post by Norinel »

Cadmium wrote:What's the difference?
One is hiding the text, the other is hiding the message within the text.
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:57 am

Post by Fritzler »

As a mod I have no problem with it, also i have no problem with invistext, so take that as you will.
Surfs up dude.
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:46 am

Post by EmpTyger »

To me there are 2 distinct issues: one is the practice of communication, and the narrower issue of colortags to hide message. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with codes being used- there's always going to be some level of tacit communication going on. But colortagging seems to me to be like invisitext- it becomes nothing but a hassle if a player must click to investigate each and every post lest they miss a hidden message. And that, to me, seems to be reason to forbid it. Though I suppose the best solution is, just as with invisitext, to have mods who feel likewise specifically forbid it in the rules.
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:50 am

Post by Fritzler »

yea, also cool with day talking, so it doesn't really matter
Surfs up dude.
Kenji
Kenji
Goon
Kenji
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:46 am

Post by Kenji »

Fritz, is there anything you're not cool with?
[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style2,Kenji.png[/img]
bigAl
bigAl
Goon
bigAl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:51 pm

Post by bigAl »

On a different note, if forum mafia is trying to emulate face to face mafia, should codes be legal? I mean, you can't exactly talk in secret codes very easily. Though you could probably wisper to your neighbours without everyone hearing. Thoughts?
Come play Metroplexity! Come play Unangband!
Falcone
Falcone
Goon
Falcone
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:07 pm

Post by Falcone »

There was an example of this in Mini 237. I was a mason with d8P. He and the 3rd member claimed Day 1, for some reason. (I think the 3rd member was about to be lynched, and d8P came forward to confirm him.) Then N1 the 3rd was killed, and d8P sent me a message telling me he hid clues in his posts that I could point out to prove I was the last mason, should the need appear. One of his clues involved color tags.

I remember I was impressed at the time that someone would go to such lengths to help confirm someone, but I didn't feel that his play was unethical or something.

(Anyway, d8P turned out to be a Mason Traitor in that game, and won the game for the mafia, but that's another story.)
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak
I puzzle myself sometimes
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:10 pm

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

in real life mafia you can wink, nod, poke, etc.

sometimes you are caught, sometimes you arnt.

sometimes they will see your [color=clack and somtimes you wont.
Show
http://kysurvivorfreak.blogspot.com/

raj's to do list:
Zulu Mafia : TBA
No Night Mafia : TBA
Epic Mafia : TBA

Record: 22-33-2
2005: 10-13-2
2006: 5-10
2007: 1-2
2008: 2-4
2009: 3-0
2010: 2-4
2011-2017: retired
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:34 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Codes are fine. In fact, there are a lot of situations where it's a good idea to use a code; usually as scum, but as town it can be a good idea as well. One example of where this worked well was a misetings game where two people both claimed "gunsmith", and both said they had found a person with a gun. When the town asked them both to reveal their results, person A said that he discovered a certain person had a gun; at which point person B demonstrated that he had planted a rather obscure code in an earlier message saying that the exact same person had a gun, and this let him confirm his gunsmith claim in a way he wouldn't have otherwise been able to. (Turns out, he actually was a scum gunsmith, but that's another story).

The only problem I might have about putting other kinds of invisible messages into posts is that if it became too common, it'd be annoying to have to go through and hit "quote" on every single post in the game to make sure you don't miss anything important. (shrug) More an annoyance factor then because it's unfair or unbalanced in any way. Not really a big deal, though.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Commodore Amazing
Commodore Amazing
Out-booyahed
Commodore Amazing
Out-booyahed
Out-booyahed

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:48 pm

Post by Commodore Amazing »

Yosarian2 wrote:if it became too common, it'd be annoying to have to go through and hit "quote" on every single post in the game to make sure you don't miss anything important. (shrug) More an annoyance factor then because it's unfair or unbalanced in any way.
QFT
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:49 pm

Post by Thok »

Frankly, using a code to defend yourself is lazy. If you really
n
eed to use a code to defend y
o
urself, perhaps you should concetra
t
e more on the game and less on trying to be clever.

I don't try to look for codes, and I h
a
ve been known to make fun of people who try to post their role in
c
ode. For the m
o
st part, if I need to figure out a player's role, I simply try to pick up hints from the posts in the threa
d
. In particular, masons are
e
much more powerful if they expose their role as an endgame surprise; posting helps scum find them and makes it more likely to have them die off before endgame.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:10 pm

Post by Twomz »

I have no problem w/ using invisitext or patterns, whatever you like. As Rajr said, in f2f mafia you can use hand guestures and such to alert people to your ability... ect. (like if only 2 people in the group know sign language... but that's a bad example)

In the end, it's up to the Mod's descretion (much like quoting PMs, bold vs colored votes, whether FOS's are counted... etc.)

And and about Strookers law 2... that could account for any number of activities... like quoting, ranting, etc (using ellipses). The more content that is put in a thread, the more diverse the content will be. If you had a thread of infinite length, it would incompass all possible patterns, ideas, habits... whatever.
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
Alexander
Alexander
Goon
Alexander
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:35 pm

Post by Alexander »

Twomz wrote:
I
have no problem w/ using invi
s
itext or patterns, whatever you like. As Rajr said, in f2f mafia you can use hand guestures and such to alert people to your ability... ect. (like if only 2 people in the group kno
w
sign languag
e
... but that's a bad ex
a
mple)

In the end, i
t
's up to the Mod's descretion (much like quoting PMs, bold vs colored votes, whether FOS's are counted... etc.)

And and about Strookers l
a
w 2... that cou
l
d account for any number of activities... like qu
o
ting, ranting, etc (using ellipses). The more con
t
ent that is put in a thread, the more diverse the content will be. If you had a thread of infinite length, it would incompass all possible patterns, ideas, habits... whatever.
"I sweat a lot" ?

What kind of secret message is this?! I don't get you guys, can you just post in plain English?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:34 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

I'd probably modkill/disallow it (as mod) IN a game if it became a problem, but the color code thing seems so fraught with danger that it's not worth it, either as scum or town.
Retired as of October 2014.
Turbovolver
Turbovolver
Mafia Scum
Turbovolver
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:20 pm

Post by Turbovolver »

rajrhcpfreak wrote:but first word in each sentence is hard to do. and its obvious to see.
if you see the first word of each sentence is suspicious then the town knows.
O RLY? Why'd you investigate me then, if you already knew I was doc? :wink:

Although you do say word when the guy was talking about letters, and I'm assuming letters here.

While we're talking about the validity of hidden claims, what do people think about what I did?

I was the doctor, claimed to not be the doctor but in the same post hid a message informing everybody I actually was the doctor. It was very unlikely to be picked up, but could be pointed back to later. This way if scum ever claimed doc to try to avoid a lynch, I could nail them, and if for some other reason people revealed they weren't the doc I could protect the cop and prevent a nightkill. Technically I don't think it was lying to the town because all the information was right there, but I can see if I later claimed to be the doc when earlier saying I wasn't, despite any hidden messages, might look rather bad. As does my English here, but I cant be bothered to fix it up :P

As for the
legality
of hidden claims, I think color=black shouldn't be legal (along with hidden URLs and invisitext)... hiding messages in your posts makes sense flavourwise, but hiding messages using forum tools doesn't. The forums should exist only as a meeting place to allow gameplay and ease of moderation, not as a part of the game themselves (so yeah, looking at who's online during the nighttime is rather suss too, but harder to prevent. I think it's best I go back in invisible mode :twisted: )
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:50 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Twomz wrote:Strookers
Is that meant to be me?

PMSL!
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:15 am

Post by Twomz »

LOL!... yes.
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith

Return to “Mafia Discussion”