Ethics: Policy Lynchings

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Ethics: Policy Lynchings

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:33 pm

Post by Pie_is_good »

(This could be percieved as a subset of metagaming, but I felt it was broad enough to merit its own topic)

Is it right to lynch, wagon, force claims, etc. based on knowledge of a specific player?

For example, say a player has a reputation for being a horrible protown player, but an excellent scum player. Should the town come out and lynch him, wagon him, or consider him more suspicious? If he's town, attacking him is a smaller loss than attacking any other player, and if he's scum, it's a great move.

What happens if that player is poor town but good scum
by choice
? For example - and this has come up before in Scumchat - some people will refuse to claim if the evidence against them isn't solid (be it a random bandwagon, a massclaim, etc.). This action hurts them if town but helps them if scum. As long as they have the policy of not claiming, is it OK to wagon them by default?

Discuss.

Pie
I am a stand-up dude of genuine flyness.
viper0933
viper0933
Goon
viper0933
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:17 pm

Post by viper0933 »

It's the towns choice...

And it always seem that I always suck as a town role, but as scum, I have a chance of actually doing well in a game.
For a Harry Potter RPG, go to http://www.rorrpg.com/referral.php?r=Checkpoint , and help me get points by getting to level 10!
bluesoul
bluesoul
Goon
bluesoul
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:57 pm

Post by bluesoul »

viper0933 wrote:It's the towns choice...

And it always seem that I always suck as a town role, but as scum, I have a chance of actually doing well in a game.
Noted. :wink:

I think that this is a decent metagame strategy; putting extra pressure on one or two people early that are most likely to be good/bad scum may give a wealth of information in the long run.
Show
The Tooth Returns.

Anjaga1989: you fulfill my desires

"Mafia without bluesoul is like checkers without a board." --Feyd_Ruin
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:23 pm

Post by Glork »

I consider myself reasonably good as town, but not so hot as scum. Maybe that's why I always get Nightkilled, and rarely lynched......
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:30 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

Pie_is_good wrote:What happens if that player is poor town but good scum
by choice
? For example - and this has come up before in Scumchat - some people will refuse to claim if the evidence against them isn't solid (be it a random bandwagon, a massclaim, etc.). This action hurts them if town but helps them if scum. As long as they have the policy of not claiming, is it OK to wagon them by default?
Refusing to claim when there's no argument against them "hurts them if town"? How? Are you assuming they end up lynched?

Then you ask if it's OK to run these people up, knowing you won't get a claim? Why would you want to throw these players under a train just because they don't want to claim unless they're actually suspected? Shouldn't you wait and see if there's a reason to suspect them?
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:05 pm

Post by jeep »

I see no issues with using knowledge of other players between games.

-JEEP
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:05 pm

Post by VisMaior »

I dont think its unethical. I do think its stupid tough.
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:31 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

Good place to start bandwagons. Although it's hard to read me, as most of the time I forget my role right after Day phase starts.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:08 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

It's darn good for getting innocents lynched without any good reasoning and leave the town completely befuddled later.

I love using the "cuz of blah blah blah excuse" to lynch a player as scum, there's virtually no paper trail and the town does it for you.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:34 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Nothing unethical about it. However, lynching someone for refusing to claim is just silly. Refusing to claim is often the best pro-town stratagy.

It's also circular logic. "We should lynch anyone who refuses to claim, because refusing to claim is bad if you're a townie, because townies who refuse to claim get lynched."
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Coron
Coron
Shameless Plug
Coron
Shameless Plug
Shameless Plug

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:29 am

Post by Coron »

I'm gonna take counter-point here.

Yes, there is something wrong with it, you know why?

If you bandwagon a person every day 1 to a claim or lynch it's no fun for them, they might as well start claimed or lynched, it's incredibly unfair to these people. I don't mind it so much used in conjunction with information in the game, but just as evidence by itsself, UNETHICAL.
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:46 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Pie_is_good wrote:(This could be percieved as a subset of metagaming, but I felt it was broad enough to merit its own topic)

Is it right to lynch, wagon, force claims, etc. based on knowledge of a specific player?

For example, say a player has a reputation for being a horrible protown player, but an excellent scum player. Should the town come out and lynch him, wagon him, or consider him more suspicious? If he's town, attacking him is a smaller loss than attacking any other player, and if he's scum, it's a great move.
you're attacking someone for a reason other than how likely he is to be scum. that's not generally very clever. it's a very minor consideration when weighing up all the factors, ok, but it's an easy target. it's like the one you were discussing last night - in certain situations, it has a small amount of merit from the town's perspective, but it's a goldmine when scum if it's viewed as legitimate strategy to pursue people for that.

if he's a weak pro-town player, then he's more likely to get lynched anyway without that being a consideration.
Pie wrote:What happens if that player is poor town but good scum
by choice
here we go back to metagaming. why do they do that? as an attempt to try to undermine the day 1 mass bandwagon to claim strategy, which it's arguable hurts the town (that's their argument, anyway). what they're trying to do here is not say they won't claim, but that they require the wagon to have justification. if lynching people without having them claim is bad, then going for the people you know won't claim is especially bad, 'cos you're deliberately setting up a situation without a claim. using that as a basis for the wagon is scummy as hell, because a) you know it'll have less resistance and b) you're going for it knowing that (in your opinion) it's more likely to hurt the town. basically, you're trying to metagame a metagame strategy via a battle of wills, except the first mgs has merit and yours doesn't.
hey, a sig!
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:56 am

Post by Fiasco »

No metagame strategies have merit, in my opinion, but I'm inclined to look more favorably on metagame strategies to discourage unethical play (such as punishing the no-claim policy) than on metagame strategies to discourage merely bad play (such as the no-claim policy itself).
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:17 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Ummm...you think not claiming is
unethical
???
bluesoul
bluesoul
Goon
bluesoul
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:38 am

Post by bluesoul »

He thinks
punishing
people that refuse to claim is unethical.
Show
The Tooth Returns.

Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:12 am

Post by Fiasco »

Yosarian2 wrote:Ummm...you think not claiming is
unethical
???
Not quite... I think it's unethical to have a
metagame policy
not to claim (to deter future bandwagons), one that you adhere to even when it isn't in the town's interest.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:21 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Fiasco wrote:No metagame strategies have merit, in my opinion, but I'm inclined to look more favorably on metagame strategies to discourage unethical play (such as punishing the no-claim policy) than on metagame strategies to discourage merely bad play (such as the no-claim policy itself).
I think he's saying the no-claim policy discourages bad play but is still unethical (if applied blindly to all situations).
bluesoul
bluesoul
Goon
bluesoul
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:44 am

Post by bluesoul »

Fiasco wrote:
unethical
???
metagame policy
not to claim (to deter future bandwagons), one that you adhere to even when it isn't in the town's interest.
Oh. I misunderstood as well, then.
Show
The Tooth Returns.

Iaisy
Iaisy
Townie
Iaisy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:44 am

Post by Iaisy »

Lets just say that X is easily manipulated as town, and will probably lose the endgame for them is he is stuck in a 2v1 endgame. Should the town lynch X so that he doesn't become a liability?
Shareholders of Salvation Inc.
(Weasel Mafia)
FATty ACid
FATty ACid
Goon
FATty ACid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:12 am

Post by FATty ACid »

I have been in several scumchat games when people have been pushed up to lynch for minor things, and refused to claim. If we back away, we could be letting a mafioso off. If we push on, we could be lynching a cop. It's a better thing to have them claim, as town, and save themselves. However, being stubborn and making me very angry, he doesn't claim. Lynch. Oh crap, he was cop. THANKS FOR SAVING YOURSELF AND TELLING US THE RESULTS, YOU TARD.

is there something wrong with this? He doesn't defend himself against the minor things, he just says "that's not right" and won't claim. Are we really supposed to let just anyone off because they refuse to claim?
GlorkTheInvader: I AINT GOT NO COCK
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:56 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

If there's a good reason to lynch them, do it.

A "no claim" policy is just an extension of the principle that you shouldn't claim for no reason.
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:24 pm

Post by GreenLiquid »

is there something wrong with this? He doesn't defend himself against the minor things, he just says "that's not right" and won't claim. Are we really supposed to let just anyone off because they refuse to claim?
In this case, he was excersizing a no-claim policy for a real reason. If people were using craplogic against him, he was an idiot as he could have pointed the fallacy out. If it was something retarded like if he was first to mention SK and they took it as tell (and he did nothing else), then it was a move I highly encourage because it convinces towns not to blindly force players into claims, esp. for little or no reason.
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:34 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

FATty ACid wrote: is there something wrong with this? He doesn't defend himself against the minor things, he just says "that's not right" and won't claim. Are we really supposed to let just anyone off because they refuse to claim?
Nope, you don't "let him off". But you don't "let him off" if he claims either, unless he's a mason or something. You vote for him if you think he's scum, you don't vote for him if you think he's town. You just should base that decision on things other then his refusal to claim.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:37 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Fiasco wrote:
unethical
???
metagame policy
Ok, fair enough. I will claim if I think it's in the town's best interest.

However, I often don't think it's in the town's best interest for me to claim, so I often won't, and I do expect that people will see that as part of my playstyle and therefore not lynch me for it.
the silent speaker
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:51 pm

Post by the silent speaker »

Any policy (even "lynch outed scum") is bad if adhered to blindly without regard for whether it will help the town in the specific instance. (The 2-1-1 endgame is an example where "lynch outed scum" as a policy will hurt the town.)
I think it's pretty clear that TSS's awesomeness did alter the roles each of us recieved, and thus he's obviously pro-town. -- Save The Dragons

Return to “Mafia Discussion”