mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1125 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:19 am

Post by mith »

The Dracula role:
DESCRIPTION: You vant to suck their blood. But only a little. You're harmless, honest. You just want to see what
markers
you can taste.
The MeMe, Dirge, Fletcher, and Atticus roles had positive blood types (one of each, and set up so they could actually occur). All other roles had negative blood types (at least one of each). The only other restriction was that roles with the same name (Jimmy Hoffa, Point Whore, Blank Green Card) got the same blood type. Otherwise, they were random.

The Haunt:
From now until the end of the game or the Haunt (whichever comes first), you may attempt to stop the Traitor. You do this by attacking
the Traitor
with
the correct item
The game would have been won by someone attacking "The Traitor" with "the correct item". 5 points for everyone still alive (in the Haunt game), plus 5 extra for whoever made the attack.

The mechanics otherwise: Each player was randomly assigned stats to the four categories (total of 16, min 2, max 6 to start with). The Traitor had a 6 in each. When an attack was made, it was assigned a category (I assigned them in groups of four, one of each type, and did the best I could making them fit). Each player "rolled" a game dice (like in the actual game, two 0s, two 1s, two 2s) for each point in the category used. If the attacker's roll was higher, the defender lost a point from a random category; if the attacker's roll was lower, the defender gained a point from a random category; and if the rolls were the same, no effect. A player was killed if a stat went to 0, or if they died in the Mafia game. The Traitor attacked randomly whenever I needed attacks to fill out the four categories (so if there were 9 attacks to resolve, I would add 3 Traitor attacks) or when nothing had happened for a while (as happened once or twice).
olio
olio
Mafia Scum
olio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1126 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:49 am

Post by olio »

Thanks for the game! It was a blast to replace in. More detailed thoughts possibly later :)
[size=75]Music makes the world go 'round,
there's no life without a sound.[/size]
Atticus
Atticus
Mafia Scum
Atticus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1127 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:48 am

Post by Atticus »

Ugh, confused, dazed, funned out. That was fun, I just wish that the crashes hadn't ruined the spectacular game and caused so many people to be not from MeMeMeet. Shame. But It was enjoyable to play in, good job mith! :D
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result." - Winston Churchill
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1128 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:28 am

Post by mith »

The crash was of course annoying, but I don't think it caused more than one of the replacements (and I'm not even sure about that one). jeep and ibaesha both had personal things come up, Maverick was never really around at all, and spork... well, I don't think I was really expecting him to keep up in the first place, to be honest. Our replacements did an excellent job really (especially Anonymities, who was pretty much screwed by spork not participating in the games, but tried hard anyway). Obviously, it would have been good if everyone from MeMeMeet had been able to play the entire game, but mechanics-wise there wasn't all that much the MetMeMes would have had an advantage figuring out.

The crash did kill the momentum of the game, though, and that was certainly unfortunate. ~shakes fist at bluehost~

My next post will have some details on the creation of the setup (if you have anything in particular you're curious about, let me know and I'll make sure to address it), and hopefully I'll also finish getting stuff put into the spreadsheet by then.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1129 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:03 am

Post by mith »

The Setup:

When I first started designing this game, I knew I wanted to include stuff from some of the many non-Mafia games we played at MeMeMeet. My original idea was far more complicated, involving cards that could be earned which would directly impact the Mafia game (for example, the sword thing from Halo, as a one-shot kill). In the end, I decided that would be either too random, too complicated, too boring, or all three. So instead, I went with the MeMeMeet Points system.

The games were loosely in one of four categories - Voting (STD, I'm the Boss), Psychology (Minority, Prisoner's Dilemma, Ultimatum, which are fairly well known in game theory), "Proper" (Things..., Texas Hold'em, games we actually played at MeMeMeet, but modified to fit your screen), and Whoring (52 Card Pickup, RPS). The Voting games were pre-determined to fall on days 3 and 5, with the Haunt starting on 4 as a Red Herring game. Otherwise, the order of the games was pretty much randomly determined before we started, except games of the same type wouldn't come back-to-back.

The point system was pretty arbitrary, with early games on a "who'd you beat" scale, and later games on a more direct scale. Obviously surviving longer was going to help, but I didn't want that to be the deciding factor, so players only got "free points" for playing the first few days. And with Prisoner's Dilemma, of course, there was the possibility of losing points.

Roles:

A few roles were obvious for inclusion, and once I had decided on the MeMeMeet Point system, "Point Whore" was one of them. I liked this role, though not much interested ended up happening with it. The intention was that they would have to try to help the town, since they were pro-town, but maybe not absolutely as much as they could, because they had the other condition as well. For example, doing poorly on the first game deliberately would have earned them their investigation, but there was a risk that they would die soon after, or just not be able to catch their target. Or, they could go hard after their target to try to take them out of the running for points, but might hurt the town in the process.

The Blank Green Card was the other "basic townie" role I included. No one tried sending choices, which surprised me, given that every time the card was used at MeMeMeet (outside of Halo Mafia), it had an ability of some sort.

The scum groups seemed pretty natrual to me. I wasn't sure to begin with whether to include *any* actual scummers, but MeMe and Dirge filled out the Concerned Parents nicely.

As for the Zombies, I think I mistakenly voted for Fletcher after he was already dead or something like that, and then accused him of being in the Zombie Mafia, so that's where they came from. In a later game, I was cult and could recruit anyone, even if they weren't actually playing (though they didn't have to agree to come in to the game). MeMe refused, but +1 joined even though he had already been killed, and that's where the recruit ability got its inspiration. Jimmy Hoffa seemed like a good third choice.

And then the obvious joke was to put Jimmy Hoffa as town, too.

The Lyncher role was used several times at MeMeMeet, and I like Serial Killers that actually have a chance of winning, so I created the Serial Lyncher. Given his three win conditions and his night time immunity, Pooky had an even better chance of winning this game than VM2 (and it really was random!).

The Suicidal was also used a couple times, and the "Jester" flavor worked, so I threw it in. Thesp was pretty close to pulling it off, and then Pooky figured him out, so I was happy with the role and its fairness overall.

As far as the town abilities, I kept with my general MO of weak investigators; Dracula was Miller-esque in his role name, and didn't directly find scum, while the Point Whores had their own agenda. We played a Hospital game or two, so I decided to throw in plenty of protections, blocking, and hiding; given the potential for three kills a night, I wanted to make it a little harder for those kills to actually go through (though in the end, Pooky didn't ever try to kill, and none of the other kills were stopped).

Overall, I was fairly pleased with the balance. Probably a few tweaks I'd make looking back on it now, but I always think that.

The spreadsheet is still not finished, unfortunately... maybe I won't put it off as long as the VM2 post-game, though. ;)
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1130 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:45 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

I told you all Dirge was scum! Why did nobody listen :(
Permanent V/LA.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1131 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:19 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Because we were scum too.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1132 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:35 pm

Damn scum.
Permanent V/LA.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1133 (ISO) » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:38 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Heh...oh well. I was still pretty impresed that I somehow got Fletcher, the person I had to get more points then in order to win, lynched day 1 after getting only slightly more points then him that day. I was basically a pro-town lyncher, which was just odd.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1134 (ISO) » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:25 pm

yea, lol.
Permanent V/LA.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”