Rules Discussion

Older threads and ideas relating to the Amstaad RPG.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:55 am

Post by Yaw »

And another fun little thing: Pyramid Reloaded

The basic idea involves loosening up the skills pyramid a bit. Instead of fixing skills at the end of each phase of character creation, players would select a list of 4 or so skills that best fit the phase without placing them. Then at the end of all the phases, players build the skills pyramid structure they want, then fit their skills into it in the way that makes the most sense. (Not all skills selected would necessarily fit into the pyramid.) The idea is to make things easier by not having the strict restriction of fitting the pyramid at the end of each phase.

Advancement would also be loosened under this method -- players could save up skill levels to use all at once at a later date. It's possible to "bump" skills up or down during advancement as well, to reflect skills that have been used more or fallen into disuse.
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:37 pm

Post by jeep »

I'm seeing a lot of cool stuff in SotC that can be merged into this [our current character creation stuff]. I'm not yet convinced that FATE 3.0 (which doesn't have it's formal definition out yet) is perfect, but I think that I like the way they deal with aspects.

You don't get levels of the aspect, but you need to spend a fate point to use them. It would mean I need to change Conjuration a little, but I can see going with this.

-JEEP
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Post by Yaw »

Yeah, I'm liking the part about having aspects without levels, and more fate points to use with them. It sort of forces players to give us more hooks to work with. I'm not sure if one aspect per phase or two is right yet. (Also not sure about all the ways they use aspects, but I'm still reading.)

I'm revising the Oduro sheet here to see how it feels with the new way of doing aspects, and the liberated pyramid.

Description: Young looking, 5’9” with fine features. Tanned skin, green eyes, with shoulder-length light brown hair worn in thin braids.

Phase 1: Oduro grew up in Alathi, a small Elvish settlement in the deserts far to the south of Amstaad. His family were herders, and he shepherded the family flock.

Aspects:

Lover of Solitude
(The Simple Life)

Potential Skills:

Herding
Observation
Survivalism
Intuition

Phase 2: Bandits attacked and razed Alathi. Oduro survived by hiding, but his livelihood was destroyed and there were few survivors. Realizing his life in the desert was over, he travelled north to the Briaf city of Loag on the plains, and lacking any other options joined the army. He wanted to be strong enough to defeat the bandits, singlehanded if need be.

Aspects:

Wanderer
(Sole Survivor)

Potential Skills:

Unarmed Combat
Athleticism
Swords (Sabre)
Knives

Phase 3: The army post in Loag had been having increased reports of armed bandit activity. Patrols are dispatched to hit isolated bands of bandits while they're weak. Oduro is a part of these, putting his training into practice.

Aspects:

Soldier
(Singleminded)

Potential Skills:

Riding (Hiran)
Archery
Endurance
Focus

Phase 4: Despite killing several isolated bands, the threat of banditry has not abated. A spy came with news of their main camp, and the army was sent out to attack. The ensuing battle is an overwhelming victory, but Oduro is so blinded by what happened to his people that he goes too far, killing some of those who had surrendered after the battle ended.

Aspects:

Avenger
(Blinded by Rage)

Potential Skills:

Berserker
Intimidation
Willpower
Extra: Aspect: Hiran, "Firewalker"

Phase 5: As a result of his actions, Oduro was given a dishonourable discharge. Ashamed, he left Loag and travelled to the only place nearby that is independent of the Briaf Empire: Amstaad. He now works as a sword-for-hire and sometimes fights in competition, trying to restore his lost honour.

Aspects:

Repentant
(Butcher of Galgow Fields)

Potential Skills:

Faith
Bodyguard
Knowledge: Amstaad Geography
Sense Danger

The Pyramid:

5 phases means 20 skill points.

Buying a Good pyramid: 10
Good thickener: 6
Fair thickener: 3
Extra: 1

Total skills: 2 Good, 4 Fair, 5 Average

Potential skills with assignments:
Herding
Observation -- Fair
Survivalism -- Average
Intuition
Unarmed Combat -- Fair
Athleticism -- Good
Swords (Sabre) -- Good
Knives
Riding (Hiran) -- Fair
Archery
Endurance -- Fair
Focus -- Average
Berserker
Intimidation -- Average
Willpower
Faith
Bodyguard -- Average
Knowledge: Amstaad Geography -- Average
Sense Danger

Aspects

Lover of Solitude(The Simple Life)Wanderer(Sole Survivor)Soldier(Singleminded)Avenger(Blinded by Rage)Repentant(Butcher of Galgow Fields)

Skills

Swords (Sabre)[col]GoodAthleticism[col]GoodObservation[col]FairRiding (Hiran)[col]FairUnarmed Combat[col]FairEndurance[col]FairSurvivalism[col]AverageFocus[col]AverageIntimidation[col]AverageBodyguard[col]AverageKnowledge: Amstaad Geography[col]Average

Extras

Aspect[col]Hiran "Firewalker"

Fate Points: 5 (10)

Goal: To atone for his past transgressions, and regain his lost standing within the Empire just outside the city state of Amstaad.

Equipment: Oduro carries a sabre and a buckler. He wears leather armour.
Success breeds suspicion

Return to “Old Aamstaad”