FATE test

Older threads and ideas relating to the Amstaad RPG.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

FATE test

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:38 am

Post by jeep »

Pshew, it's hard to pick aspects. I don't think that this let me get quite the character that I wanted.

-JEEP

Nithrar grew up in Shina as the son of the most widely recognized expert in Da'Tashi. His father was lauded far and wide. As his son, Nithrar learned the art of Da'Tashi from an early age.

Aspect:
Relationship with Father (Aloysius) (fair)
  • Unarmed combat
  • Sticks
  • Knife
  • Sorcery
--------
Nithrar's father opened a school in Amstaad and would send his senior students to teach at the school in 1-2 year tours. Nithrar would accompany his father into the city to help with his seminars.

Aspect:
Da'Tashi(fair)
  • Unarmed Combat
  • Evasion
  • Teaching
  • Sorcery
-----------------------
During one trip, Nithrar met a Hamadryad and received a gift of a wooden Karambit and a pair of Da'Tashi sticks made as hard as steel.

Aspect:
Hamadryad Gifts (Karambit and sticks) (Fair)
  • Healing (unless this is under alchemy knowledge)
  • Teaching
  • Alchemy Knowledge
  • Unarmed Combat
----------------------
Eventually, Nithrar became one of the senior students and took his turn teaching at the school.

Aspect:
Da'Tashi (Good)
  • Sticks
  • Throw
  • Sorcery
  • Knife
----------------------
After taking his tour, his father gave him the school and decided to mostly retire.

Aspect:
Teacher (fair)
  • Throw
  • Staff
  • Teaching
  • Unarmed combat
----------------------
Final character:
Aspects

[col]O O [col]Da'Tashi (Good) [col]O [col]Relationship to Father (Aloysius) (Fair) [col]O [col]Teacher(Fair) [col]O [col]Hamadryad Gifts (Fair)

Skills

[col]Unarmed Combat[col]Great [col]Sorcery[col]Good [col]Teaching[col]Good [col]Sticks[col]Fair [col]Knife[col]Fair [col]Throwing[col]Fair [col]Alchemy Knowledge[col]Average [col]Staff[col]Average [col]Evasion[col]Average [col]Healing[col]Average

Fate points: 3

Goal: Businessman I'm going to work towards learning Business Acumen (I made this up, there might be a better name on the list), Culture for Tiktuk and Aerin... get sorc up to superb, teach and unarmed combat up to great, stick, knife and healing up to good...

Equipment: As usual, Nithrar carries a staff, two Da'Tashi sticks, and his Karambit. He doesn't use armor.

-JEEP
Last edited by jeep on Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:16 pm

Post by Yaw »

It would help to know more specifically why this didn't get you the character you wanted -- it's kind of important to know if it's in significant ways, and if they're fixable within this system.

I'll just resurrect the character from the previous combat testing. I'll create a Slith if this still looks promising (which will be a test of adapting the system to different races).

As a note after completing the below...I'm not sure how this will play, but I really liked going through this process. It's a bit annoying to keep track of the skills pyramid on-screen, but that's the only negative I found. Contrary to yours, I found this gave me a character I'd really enjoy playing, with a considerable amount of depth. The fact that the story has to come first, before the numbers, made all the difference. Working through phase 4 something just clicked and I knew how the story had to go. Very cool.

Name: Oduro bel’Anath
Player: Yaw
Race: Elf

Description: Young looking, 5’9” with fine features. Tanned skin, green eyes, with shoulder-length light brown hair worn in thin braids.

Background:

Phase 1: Oduro grew up in Alathi, a small Elvish settlement in the deserts far to the south of Amstaad. His family were herders, and he shepherded the family flock.

Aspect: Solitary (Fair)
  • Herder
  • Observation x 2
  • Survivalism
Phase 2: Bandits attacked and razed Alathi. Oduro survived by hiding, but his livelihood was destroyed and there were few survivors. Realizing his life in the desert was over, he travelled north to the Briaf city of Loag on the plains, and lacking any other options joined the army. He wanted to be strong enough to defeat the bandits, singlehanded if need be.

Aspect: Soldier (Fair)
  • Swords (Sabre)
  • Athleticism
  • Archery
  • Focus
Phase 3: The army post in Loag had been having increased reports of armed bandit activity. Patrols are dispatched to hit isolated bands of bandits while they're weak. Oduro is a part of these, putting his training into practice.

Aspect: Soldier (Good)
  • Swords (Sabre)
  • Riding (Hiran)
  • Observation
  • Athleticism
Phase 4: Despite killing several isolated bands, the threat of banditry has not abated. A spy came with news of their main camp, and the army was sent out to attack. The ensuing battle is an overwhelming victory, but Oduro is so blinded by what happened to his people that he goes too far, killing some of those who had surrendered after the battle ended.

Aspect: Soldier (Great)
  • Swords (Sabre)
  • Riding (Hiran)
  • Berserker
  • Focus
Phase 5: As a result of his actions, Oduro was given a dishonourable discharge. Ashamed, he left Loag and travelled to the only place nearby that is independent of the Briaf Empire: Amstaad. He now works as a sword-for-hire and sometimes fights in competition, trying to restore his lost honour.

Aspect: Repentant (Fair)
  • Swords (Sabre)
  • Survivalism
  • Athleticism
  • Faith

Aspects

O[col]Solitary (Fair)O O O[col]Soldier (Great)O[col]Repentant (Fair)

Skills

Swords (Sabre)[col]GreatObservation[col]GoodAthleticism[col]GoodRiding (Hiran)[col]FairFocus[col]FairSurvivalism[col]FairHerder[col]AverageArchery[col]AverageBerserker[col]AverageFaith[col]Average

Fate Points: 3

Goal: To atone for his past transgressions, and regain his lost standing within the Empire just outside the city state of Amstaad.

Equipment: Oduro carries a sabre and a buckler. He wears leather armour.
Last edited by Yaw on Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:07 pm

Post by Yaw »

FATE Combat Rules:

We're going to try exchange-based combat. This means that all combatants will submit their moves
at the same time
(or as close as can reasonably happen in such a format as this). Each move will contain the information that would normally be part of a turn -- "I'm going to attack, and aim for his leg," "I'm going to try to defend with my shield," "I'm going to run at him screaming," that sort of thing.

Then we roll once for each combatant, 4d3. The results map as follows: a 1 on a die means -1, a 2 on a die means 0, and a 3 on a die means +1. The mapped results are added together, and added to the relevant skill, then compared. Whoever's result is highest "wins" the round, with results as follows:

[mrow]Win by[col][col]Effect0[col][col]Scratched (Negligible)+1[col]O O[col]Clipped (Momentary advantage to the attacker: -1 to next action for player that got clipped.)+2 to +4[col]O O[col]Hurt (Persistent advantage to the attacker: -1 to all actions for player hurt until end of scene. This applies regardless of how many boxes are checked.)+5 to +6[col]O O[col]Injured (Wound that carried on until healed: -1 per box to all actions for player injured until injury is healed. This applies for
each
box checked.)+7 and up[col]X[col]Taken Out (Knockout, unconsciousness, etc. Not death, but not able to continue to fight.)

When a result occurs, the box gets checked. If all the boxes on a row fill, the next success of that type bumps up to the next level. (So if player X gets hurt twice, the third time he's hurt counts as being injured.)

We may as well keep things simple for weapon/armour adjustments, at least for now. Which means the following things can get +1 to a roll: Superior weapons, superior armour, superior position, superior numbers, flanking your opponent, and surrounding your opponent. Choosing to go all out defense can also give +1 to a roll, but a success will not result in damaging the opponent.

We'll also run this twice -- the first time without any of Nithrar's sorcery, to see how the most basic combat works; the second time including the sorcery to see how that would function.

Edit -- Just to get it in here...I'm NPC in this case, so Jeep just posts and I work with it. In a PvP case, best idea would be to have both players involved PM the mod, and then have the mod post both moves and the resolution each exchange.
Last edited by Yaw on Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:47 pm

Post by Yaw »

The announcer calls, and the combatants step onto the sandy field. There is cheering in the stands as the two elves are announced. Nithrar and Oduro both step onto the field, weapons at the ready.

Sorry for bringing you down to the pits, Nithrar. I prefer an open area for the first fight, though -- no point bringing in obstacles to up the difficulty level this early.

I think we can rule that Oduro has better armour. I think it's reasonable to say that a set of weapons gifted by a hamadryad would be superior to anything Oduro would have. So +1 to each off that adjustment.

Let's go for round 1.
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Post by jeep »

Okay, my weapons at the ready are the sticks, with karambit still at my side. I approach looking for an opening. My preference is to "defang the snake" by attacking the hands if they find their way forward followed by head strikes. Because of this, and the longer reach of Oduro's sabre, I'll try to delay my action until after his movement. Since he is almost required to slash with a Sabre, I'll be ready to EVADE by withdrawing then stepping in behind the swing striking to the wrist (forearm/hand) in an attempt to disarm. (The intent is to double-strike to the hand and follow up with a strike to the head.)

Does posture matter? IF so, and if this describes a two round tactic then I take a defensive posture for this round... if it's one round of combat, I'll take a balanced stance.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:06 pm

Post by Yaw »

Posture? This isn't like GURPS. It's not all that rulesy.

Rolls:

Nithrar:
Original Roll String: 4d3
4 3-Sided Dice: (2, 1, 3, 3) = 9

Oduro:
4 3-Sided Dice: (3, 1, 3, 1) = 8

Post to follow with results.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:10 pm

Post by Yaw »

Nithrar:

Sticks at Fair
+1 from superior weapons
Dice are 0,0,+1,0 for +1 total.

End result: Great

Oduro:

Sabre at Great
+1 from superior armour
Dice are +1,+1,+1,-1 for +2 total

End result: Legendary

Currently, Oduro would win the round with a measure of success of 3. Unless you want an adjustment?

If you want an adjustment, you may:

Use a relevant Aspect as an intercession. ("Hey, I know Da-Tashi too well for this to happen!") This checks one of the circles of that Aspect off, but it allows you to choose either to reroll completely, or to change one of your dice to a +1 result.

You may also spend one Fate Point to raise your score by 1. This can happen in addition to an Aspect use. You may only spend one point in this way. (That said, this works like bidding, your opponent can spend a Fate Point of his to counter yours, you can re-raise by another one Fate Point, etc.)
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:28 pm

Post by jeep »

Okay, I'm hurt... I guess I switch to empty hands...

-JEEP
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:43 pm

Post by Yaw »

Let me write the scene first! :P

You try to dodge the blade, but it is just a bit too fast. The sabre just catches your left hip as you withdraw, and by the time you strike with your sticks Oduro has turned towards your position. The Da-Tashi sticks bounce harmlessly off his buckler. You can feel the sting of the cut as the battle continues.

Hurt result. One hurt box checked off. -1 penalty for the rest of the scene.

Next action?
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Post by jeep »

I drop the sticks (or throw them towards him, if there is time) and engage with empty hands.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:52 pm

Post by Yaw »

I think that since throwing and barehand combat are two different skills that you have, and you only get one roll per exchange, that you're going to have to choose between them. You can drop and barehand, or throw.
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:53 pm

Post by jeep »

I'd only throw if it was benefitial to do so... Call it a drop with style... if it were to distract him, great.

-JEEP
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Post by Yaw »

Rolls:

Nithrar:
4 3-Sided Dice: (3, 3, 3, 2) = 11

Oduro
4 3-Sided Dice: (3, 1, 1, 1) = 6

Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:12 pm

Post by Yaw »

Nithrar:

Unarmed Combat at Great
-1 from Hurt status
Dice are -1,0,+1,0 for 0 total.

End result: Good

Oduro:

Sabre at Great
+1 from superior armour
+1 from superior weapons (Sabre > Hands)
Dice are -1,-1,0,0 for -2 total

Aspects or Fate Points?
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:16 pm

Post by jeep »

I'll use a Da'Tashi aspect point to change -1 to +1.

-JEEP
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:26 pm

Post by Yaw »

Ok, roll is now +2, which moves roll up to Superb. This checks off one of your Da-Tashi aspects. This beats Oduro's Great by 1, making a Clipped result. Oduro will take that.

Frustrated at your sticks failing to penetrate Oduro's defenses, you decide to fight faster. Dropping your sticks, you dodge the next sword strike and quickly push Oduro's sword-arm from the inside after it swings past. He lurches a bit to the right, stepping awkwardly to compensate.

Clipped result means -1 to Oduro for the next exchange. Your plan?
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:28 pm

Post by jeep »

Draw the Karambit and go back to my "defang the snake" strategy.

-JEEP
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:38 pm

Post by Yaw »

I think you're having fun making me look up a new skill each time.

Rolling:

Nithrar:
4 3-Sided Dice: (3, 3, 3, 2) = 11

Oduro:
4 3-Sided Dice: (3, 1, 1, 2) = 7

Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:45 pm

Post by Yaw »

Weapons aren't so easy here. On the one hand, sabre > knife. On the other hand, hamadryad > no hamadryad. I think I'm going to just call it even and give no bonuses to either side.

Nithrar:

Knife at Fair
-1 from Hurt status
Dice are +1,-1,-1,-1 for -2 total.

End result: Poor

Oduro:

Sabre at Great
+1 from superior armour
-1 from Clipped status
Dice are -1,+1,0,0 for 0 total.

Oduro is currently winning the round with a measure of success of 5, before any adjustments. Want some?
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:54 pm

Post by jeep »

No adjustment... stick with the same strategy and hope for some critical hit... ;)

-JEEP
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:03 pm

Post by Yaw »

Just can't wait for the scene, hm? :wink:

Both of you try to recover at the same time from the last strike -- you reach for your knife as Oduro regains his balance. Unfortunately, he does so first, catching your right arm with his sword as the karambit is coming out of its sheath. A long, thin gash appears, then starts to drip.

Injured result. One injured box checked off, and -1 applied to subsequent rolls until the injury is healed. Next?
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:04 pm

Post by jeep »

Same tactics...
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Yaw »

:)

Rolls:

Nithrar:
4 3-Sided Dice: (3, 1, 1, 3) = 8

Oduro:
4 3-Sided Dice: (2, 3, 2, 2) = 9

Results to follow.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:09 pm

Post by Yaw »

Nithrar:

Knife at Fair
-1 from Hurt status
-1 from Injured status
Dice are +1,+1,0,-1 for +1 total.

End result: Average

Oduro:

Sabre at Great
+1 from superior armour
Dice are 0,0,-1,+1 for 0 total.

End result: Superb

Oduro currently winning the round with a measure of success of 4. Adjustments?
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Post by jeep »

No, but I'd surrender...

-JEEP

Return to “Old Aamstaad”