More Game Ethics: Mod-Abandoned Closed-Setup Games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:04 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Hahaha. That's awesome.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:50 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Retired as of October 2014.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:33 am

Post by AniX »

Is it wrong? Yes it is and nobody should ever do it.

Should it be wrong in the sense mith eats your first born if you are caught doing it? Absolutely not.

I have always been an advocate of allowing anything as scum that isn't outright cheating, which this is not. Outright cheating would be something where you clearly gain an advantage, such hacking someone's name to get their role PM or what not. This is too risky and has little to no effect on a game (If a town is really stupid enough to relieve you of their accusations because you said "Hey, I acted similar in this mod-abandoned game that I claim to be cop in.", they have more problems than the fact you may be lying), in addition to the fact that at any point your credibility could be shot by a returning mod or any number of external factors.

Would I do it myself? No.

Would I advise someone to do it? Certainly not.

Should it be a banned mafia practice, as most of these Ethics threads usually evolve into a campaign for? I'm a mafia libertarian and advocate of laissez-faire on the part of the Ruling Elite. The less interference into mafia the "God rules" have, the happier I am. This doesn't strike me as something that is cheating, just bad sportspersonship.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:21 am

Post by Seol »

AniX wrote:I have always been an advocate of allowing anything as scum that isn't outright cheating, which this is not.
the thing is this isn't done as scum. it's done
outside a game

if there's a mod-abandoned game where you didn't reveal your alignment, and then in another game you claim you were cop in that game, that's fine (imo). however claiming in the thread of that game to set up future plays after that game is already finished, not ok.

it's like, i've started discussions on approaches to vigging, for example, in mafia discussion forums. i would never advocate a position that i did not honestly believe in. what i could well do however is, whilst sk in a game, link to my previous arguments and deliberately misinterpret what i said. the original comments were made honestly but i am not above using them within the game.

lying within a game is one thing, but even if it's for the purposes of a specific game, lying outside the game is unethical.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:02 pm

Post by AniX »

Oh, its definitely unethical. Completely an asshole thing to do. Anyone who pulled it should immediately get punched in the face. This I agree with.

I just don't want this to evolve into what many ethics threads (Especially post-Stallinggate) seemingly (to me, anyway) do: An overall feeling that this activity should be moderated by mafia rules. That bans and suspensions from the site should result from the practice of this activity. That I cannot agree with. I do not want to open the can of worms that administrators and mods can punish for actions done in the past and outside of the game as they apply to things occurring in games and in the present.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:18 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

Well, this seems like it would be an incredibly rare offense anyway, and it's only effective if no one finds out because the misinformation itself is the advantage. If you hack somebody's account and read their role PM, you have gained an advantage. If somebody finds out you did this, you still have the advantage (but you won't be able to exercise it because you will be banned). If you false claim in an abandoned game, and the mod comes back and sets things straight, your advantage is completely shot (and likely turned into a disadvantage). Therefore, being found out is probably punishment enough.

However, what happens if you fake claim while the game is running, it is abandoned, and you say nothing post-game about your role?
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:39 pm

Post by Seol »

AniX wrote:I just don't want this to evolve into what many ethics threads (Especially post-Stallinggate) seemingly (to me, anyway) do: An overall feeling that this activity should be moderated by mafia rules. That bans and suspensions from the site should result from the practice of this activity. That I cannot agree with. I do not want to open the can of worms that administrators and mods can punish for actions done in the past and outside of the game as they apply to things occurring in games and in the present.
well, the stallingchamp episode was one where he ruined multiple games beyond repair on separate occasions. that's something which really deserves intervention, but that was a very extreme example.

this is outside mafia rules, but it's reasonable to say it's within community rules, unspoken or no. people should know this is unethical without having to ask. that doesn't mean any breach should automatically incur punishment: i don't think any sort of action would be normally be required unless someone is repeatedly, knowingly and deliberately being antisocial. at that point that person is arguably not part of the community anyway.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:07 am

Post by AniX »

Seol wrote:well, the stallingchamp episode was one where he ruined multiple games beyond repair on separate occasions. that's something which really deserves intervention, but that was a very extreme example.

this is outside mafia rules, but it's reasonable to say it's within community rules, unspoken or no. people should know this is unethical without having to ask. that doesn't mean any breach should automatically incur punishment: i don't think any sort of action would be normally be required unless someone is repeatedly, knowingly and deliberately being antisocial. at that point that person is arguably not part of the community anyway.
I can agree to that. I invoked Stallingchamp only because there is a definite "9/11" nature to the way what might have been drummed up to a few bad seeds before him now has turned into many otherwise rational people calling for the end to all alts. of any kind and other such activities. I just don't want the call to be made to this become an official mafia rule of regulating what people do outside of a particular game of mafia.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:18 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

As a List Mod, I can state categorically that there's a lot more alts out there than most people know about. But on the other hand, I agree with AniX that most of
them
the ones we know about
are used in a totally innocuous manner.
Retired as of October 2014.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”