Why not an OPEN open game? Lets break the fourth wall!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:23 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

The balance issue is scum losing the ability to shut townies up. So the exorcist would presumably be a scum role.

What do you do about dead cops who hadn't revealed their investigations at the time they died? Just say ghosts are
only
allowed to spam and troll?
Snix
Snix
Goon
Snix
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:29 am

Post by Snix »

You could have the Ghosts PM the mod with a short message and a target and that target will get a PM overnight (unless he/she dies also during that night) With some nice ghost/haunting story (very short) and the Message in the original post.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:44 am

Post by Seol »

I've run a game with a role which was allowed to carry on talking (but not vote) once they were dead.

If it was going to be
open
open, I'd recommend two concurrent threads - one for players, one for spectators, with only people who have not played in the game allowed to comment in the spectators thread. Each thread obviously both open to the readers of the other with cross-quoting permitted.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:28 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Yosarian2 wrote:Heh...I was thinking a while back about a game with a certain number of "spectator seats" where people who didn't want to play the game could sign up to watch it and make random comments, and where one of the scum had an ability to kill off spectators if he wanted.
That sounds perfect for Muppet Show Mafia.

Would you have people sign up specifically as spectators, or would it be a random role for people that signed up to join the game?
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:03 am

Post by Xdaamno »

shaft.ed wrote:
Yosarian2 wrote:Heh...I was thinking a while back about a game with a certain number of "spectator seats" where people who didn't want to play the game could sign up to watch it and make random comments, and where one of the scum had an ability to kill off spectators if he wanted.
That sounds perfect for Muppet Show Mafia.

Would you have people sign up specifically as spectators, or would it be a random role for people that signed up to join the game?
Actually, I'd prefer it if the spectator's couldn't be killed. Then you'd have confirmed pro-towners with no chance of reprocussion free to point out anything they like, without having to worry about dying.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:26 am

Post by Stewie »

Give the spectators an alignment, so they can say stuff to help their team? That would give justification for the spectators.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:28 pm

Post by Adel »

Stewie wrote:Give the spectators an alignment, so they can say stuff to help their team? That would give justification for the spectators.
Have a deadline every two weeks, and each spectator gets one vote. Each player also gets one vote. Dead players can post any where. There is a separate thread for spectators to chatter in. They can try to spoil the game, if they like, or help the town, or whatever.
Jalyn
Jalyn
Goon
Jalyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:53 pm

Post by Jalyn »

For an example of the dead being allowed to post, take a look at http://www.brunchma.com/forum/index.php ... 58&st=1470
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:06 pm

Post by Adel »

how did you find that game?
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Post by Oman »

One thing letting the dead talk does is changes the mechanics of NKs. For example, rather than taking out a vocal player with a good chance to find scum, scum have to be constantly trying to hit powerroles.

And if they kill the cop on the night he investigates one of them...he gets to tell everyone his result.

I don't like it personally.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
RafK
RafK
Goon
RafK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:53 pm

Post by RafK »

Some people run roles where the cop's investigations get passed to the backup cop so he can bust the clever scum who identified the cop during day 1 and killed him.

Not that I'm bitter or anything :P

But yeah, dead players being able to pass down their information is not of itself a reason not to do the game, it just means you need to plan around it.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:07 pm

Post by Oman »

Yeah it was just a thought I had on it.

And I hate the idea of a backup getting investigations too, but thats another thread.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
BrianMcQueso
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
My Wit is Broken

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:42 am

Post by BrianMcQueso »

You'd need to at least limit outsider posts to one post per person per day, lest spam conquer all. Or maybe any outsiders could only influence players through PMs.

One thing that amuses the heck out of me would be that the scum could recruit outsiders to help them. It might defeat the entire purpose of having the game, though, if you made everyone in the game paranoid enough to not listen to outsiders.
imaginary scenario wrote: Stoofer: Hey BMQ, who should I protect? I can't make up my mind, and as a neutral outsider, maybe you can help me.
BMQ: You should protect Glork. He seems townly to me.
(later)

BMQ: Hey Glork, you should probably kill Stoofer, since he's the doctor.
ScumGlork: Thanks BMQ! Here's some free money IRL!
BMQ: Ka-ching!
"Only a fool quotes himself." -BrianMcQueso

Return to “Mafia Discussion”