Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Post by Narninian »

In post 121, Blackberry wrote:I'm kinda surprised people would want to align with a newbie. I don't think I would want to align with a "total newbie" right off the get go without getting to know them first. A: If they're new, they might realize they aren't dedicated enough or cut out for the game and might end up bailing. B: I wouldn't know how to gauge if they were plotting to betray and/or be afraid they'd be too open about any "alliance", etc. C: I'd be afraid they'd be too easily manipulated by other players and if lied to by an opponent, I wouldn't know if they'd be experienced enough to talk with me first. I have absolutely nothing against new players, I just wouldn't trust them to the full extent that I would trust players I can tell know what they're doing. :P

Also, I think we should have a non-anonymous Survivor again. I want to be an evil villainous creature-thing for all mafiascum to see. Mwhahahahaha.

There is a difference between being new and being dumb.

Point A) is a valid concern
but I'm not sure B/C really talk about their seniority unless they are just unfamiliar with reality games in general.
The extra in is for /in
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 1:41 pm

Post by Espeonage »

Marq is my hero. Reck is too good for me.
Don't @ me.
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Post by Blackberry »

I guess to readdress B/C - with a lack of seniority, I'm not certain I'd feel confident they'd know how to engage with opposing alliances tactfully.

Then again, I have a huge hardon for underdogs, and would love to work with a bunch of "newbs" in hopes of raising them as my minions and having them wreck havoc on the world, Bwmwhahaha.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Post by Fluminator »

In post 122, xofelf wrote:
KingdomAces wrote:
In post 114, Fluminator wrote:Hey, I just had a thought. Maybe I should pretend to be a newbie in all my future games.

It's been done, and it worked. Now people are looking for that gambit.

There's even a term for it: Chanseying.

Oh. Well nevermind then. lol
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 1:48 pm

Post by KingdomAces »

That reminds me, I was actually kind of serious about this:
Food wrote:BPC [The spectator played by N, not the mod.] gave me an idea: Survivor: Mish Mash Survivor. Anon Survivor where the player options are usernames of anyone who's ever played a Survivor before. Playing in character is recommended. Picking yourself is allowed, but not as your first option, and other people taking it has preference.

Either that or character options are characters from Anon games. If a newbie asks for the mods to pick, give them Chancey and watch what happens when they say it's their first game.
Like, I wouldn't be able to design it, because I'm bad at being creative, and it would also be even less newbie friendly, so it's probably not actually a good idea, but as long as people don't use it as an excuse to be openly hostile (which is a very extreme statement in itself), it could be fairly interesting.
Never be sorry for your little time.

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb.
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 1:50 pm

Post by Blackberry »

In post 129, KingdomAces wrote:That reminds me, I was actually kind of serious about this:
Food wrote:BPC [The spectator played by N, not the mod.] gave me an idea: Survivor: Mish Mash Survivor. Anon Survivor where the player options are usernames of anyone who's ever played a Survivor before. Playing in character is recommended. Picking yourself is allowed, but not as your first option, and other people taking it has preference.

Either that or character options are characters from Anon games. If a newbie asks for the mods to pick, give them Chancey and watch what happens when they say it's their first game.
Like, I wouldn't be able to design it, because I'm bad at being creative, and it would also be even less newbie friendly, so it's probably not actually a good idea, but as long as people don't use it as an excuse to be openly hostile (which is a very extreme statement in itself), it could be fairly interesting.

Haha, this idea sounds awesome! And I doubt anyone would be hostile, because they are still trying to win the game themselves :P.
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Post by Flameaxe »

Flum wrote:Yes! That's true. I was legit quite excited when I found out you put yourself through the same grinder I'm going through. How did we end up on opposite alliances again?

We didn't send the flue gas into the reactor with enough excess air to perform the reaction to completion. Additionally, we modeled our reactor assuming an ideal gas instead of modeling it using a Peng-Robinson model. The difference in residual pressures between the two models created vastly out of proportion reactor kinetics and everything just sort of fizzled.
Last edited by Flameaxe on Mon May 04, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Post by Flameaxe »

In post 129, KingdomAces wrote:That reminds me, I was actually kind of serious about this:

Just can't have anyone be Snakes, they'll lose round 1 out of principal, or win out of principal :P
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 2:11 pm

Post by ForWhomTheJellyRolls »

I know I did have PMs with people about making things more newbie friendly, either having specific mentors (who would not be players at all but a resource for newbies for example) or even running perhaps a smaller game with entirely newbies or players who were having trouble getting the hang of things. I'm not sure how to implement those things or what not. I think Klick mentioned a sort of guide to things that might be helpful as well. There might be more information that we can give to newer players that's more than what we have but not as daunting as trying to sift through past games.
"A hidden truth supports everything. Find it, and win." - Ramayana
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Do you have the need for Mafia de Cuba?
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

My two favorite things about the confessionals both came from Reck.
Spoiler:
Frenchie: "Lots of people are saying you're the best player here, how do you feel about that?"
Unicorn: "Just a heads up, lots of people wanted to target you."
Star: "FYI ALERT ALERT YOU ARE A THREAT AND PEOPLE WANT YOU GONE BUT THEY DONT KNOW ABOUT ME"
Dave: "Yeah man people want you gone but we can do this"
Wayne: "OMG PLEASE WORK WITH ME I AM SO SCARED AND ALONE HELP YOU'RE MY CLOSEST ALLY" (like fucking really?)
Illuminati: "hey bro whats up hows your day
"

Spoiler:
So I tell the Nerds that, which brings them together behind me, but not directly behind me, as they don't really know I'm pulling the strings on all this. And then I mention it to Wayne & Dave & Star, and all three are like, "WTF fuck that shit fuck pagongs" and I'm like YEAH. I may have exaggerated the pagong thing JUST a smidge but like...
this game has proven that anyone who tries to vote along tribal lines/pagong lines ends up fucked
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 2:32 pm

Post by CuddlyCaucasian »

Yeah, I apologize this game didn't turn out to be as newbie friendly as I had hoped. I thought with less twists, it'd be easier to get familiar with how everything works, but that didn't work out and it just ended up making a lot of Veterans bored too.
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

"CC is an objectively attractive person." - Crazy

"You look like a happy version of Trent Reznor." - LicketyQuickety

"Do you practice sounding like you're high all the time?" - xofelf
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Post by Fluminator »

In post 131, Flameaxe wrote:
Flum wrote:Yes! That's true. I was legit quite excited when I found out you put yourself through the same grinder I'm going through. How did we end up on opposite alliances again?

We didn't send the flue gas into the reactor with enough excess air to perform the reaction to completion. Additionally, we modeled our reactor assuming an ideal gas instead of modeling it using a Peng-Robinson model. The difference in residual pressures between the two models created vastly out of proportion reactor kinetics and everything just sort of fizzled.

This machine solves all problems.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Post by Snakes »

In post 132, Flameaxe wrote:

Just can't have anyone be Snakes, they'll lose round 1 out of principal, or win out of principal :P

Hey, it didn't work out this time :P

I remember discussing a newbie only game with jelly. I feel that could be a good idea. It would let people who want to play but don't have the experience have an equal shot instead of trying to figure out what's happening while the experienced players set their alliances up. I didn't feel like there was an anti-newbie bias this game, but it did feel like preswap, people wanted to vote for the "easy" votes who hadn't made as many social connections, and those players ended up being newbies who didnt know how important getting into the pm game immediately was.
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Post by Flameaxe »

I have never felt quite a strong missed "best friend" potential here, Flum.
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Post by Flameaxe »

Hey, it didn't work out this time

Yeah, sorry.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 3:38 pm

Post by Cephrir »

In post 97, Klick wrote:@everyone: How do you decide on who you want your early allies to be? What is your criteria? I haven't thought much about how that happens for me. I tend to go for certain-looking players each game, depending on how I want to play. Sometimes I'll seek out strong social players I can share a powerful alliance with, and other times I'll look for followers I can lead. Being able to at least hold a conversation, even if it's a small one, is a necessity though.

Literally just whoever is the most interesting for me to talk to >_>

Which tends to mean the strong social players, obviously, but I think that's something that makes sense for my strategy anyway. If you're going to be a threat, you might as well try to stay off the radars of the other threats. Would I do it even if it was bad play? Probably. I enjoy it.

Though I have had pet projects, and they are fun.

In post 121, Blackberry wrote:I'm kinda surprised people would want to align with a newbie. I don't think I would want to align with a "total newbie" right off the get go without getting to know them first. A: If they're new, they might realize they aren't dedicated enough or cut out for the game and might end up bailing. B: I wouldn't know how to gauge if they were plotting to betray and/or be afraid they'd be too open about any "alliance", etc. C: I'd be afraid they'd be too easily manipulated by other players and if lied to by an opponent, I wouldn't know if they'd be experienced enough to talk with me first. I have absolutely nothing against new players, I just wouldn't trust them to the full extent that I would trust players I can tell know what they're doing. :P

Players who don't know what they're doing are relatively unlikely to betray you, and I think some people do it as a matter of principle. Also, you trust people???

In post 137, Snakes wrote:
In post 132, Flameaxe wrote:

Hey, it didn't work out this time :P

I remember discussing a newbie only game with jelly. I feel that could be a good idea. It would let people who want to play but don't have the experience have an equal shot instead of trying to figure out what's happening while the experienced players set their alliances up. I didn't feel like there was an anti-newbie bias this game, but it did feel like preswap, people wanted to vote for the "easy" votes who hadn't made as many social connections, and those players ended up being newbies who didnt know how important getting into the pm game immediately was.

It might work. Just... don't do a half newbie game, that works about as well here as it does on the show, hehe.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 4:03 pm

Post by Espeonage »

Why not have a non anon game as a change of pace?
Don't @ me.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 4:04 pm

Post by T-Bone »

In post 100, D3f3nd3r wrote:
In post 93, Brian Skies wrote:Julie was...not fun to talk to and I did make several attempts before I just decided she was dead to me. I don't mind working with newbies or replacements because we all have to start somewhere, but they never gave me a reason to care.

Well obviously we had our shtick during the game, but the part that really upset me was that I know that T-Bone knows how to play this game. I was allied with him in my second game on the site, and he got voted out second
because people thought he was a threat
. Like actually, had you played this game like you did Mario (your play was good there, you didn't get the boot for bad play) you'd have lived a lot longer.

I was crushed to learn you were Y! :(

I mean I know where I went wrong here, I was trying to appear as the ultimate goat and get dragged along by others until maybe I could do something later. Didn't work out, you live and learn. My experiences in these games for the most part haven't been positive so when I do play it's with a bitter chip on my shoulder.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Also Narn I feel your small talk pain and we must find each other next time! Star-crossed lovers!
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Post by CuddlyCaucasian »

In post 141, Espeonage wrote:Why not have a non anon game as a change of pace?

How about a non-anon half newbie game?
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

"CC is an objectively attractive person." - Crazy

"You look like a happy version of Trent Reznor." - LicketyQuickety

"Do you practice sounding like you're high all the time?" - xofelf
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Post by Cephrir »

oh wait

we did that alreadyyyyyyy
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 4:42 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

Flumy what the fuck. No.
To be clear: quack
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Post by Fluminator »

You made it for me. And it has a tiger. It was too much for me to resist.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 4:59 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Shouldn't yours be that amazing mic pic that a judge mistook as a dick?
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 5:00 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

That's my Skype avi.