Behind the Masks: Bolt from the Blue (GAME OVER!)

Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Behind the Masks: Bolt from the Blue (GAME OVER!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Post by Lokiben »

At first glance, it is a modest castle, suitable for a duke or perhaps a large lord. But upon entering the double doors, vaulted ceilings soar high into the air, held by the pillars that dot the massive hall. If a king were to enter, he would likely fall to his knees and weep at the splendor impossible for earthly royalty to achieve. The Palace is no earthly building.

This night, lit only by the speechless full moon, the double doors groan open as a silent procession of fourteen marches through. Each of the masked figures knows that only one will exit alive, and each intends to be that one. The grandeur of the Palace has been stripped away, leaving the vibrant robes of the twelve at odds with the solemn, gray stones.

It began many years ago. A passing mention in a musty tome. A whispered conversation overheard in a tavern. A note left by a missing friend. Each of the fourteen heard about a mystery, a puzzle, a dream: the Palace. For the owner of the Palace was nearing the end of his life, and a palace always needs an owner. The new master needed to be skilled, intelligent, and most importantly, cunning.

Across continents, over seas, through cities they traveled, searching for a hint, just one clue, to location of the Palace. Now, they stand in the belly of the building they sought, staring with covered eyes at the wrinkled old man breathing his last. He inhales, and exhales for the final time.

Behind the fourteen, the double doors groan shut. Not one looks back.
The Game has begun.

Hello, I'm Lokiben, and I'm very new to this forum. I thought I could introduce myself by hosting a little game that I'm sure you'll love.

Behind the Masks is a great game with similar roles and flavor to Mafia, but with very different mechanics. It was developed by a user at another forum that gave me permission to introduce it to here; I claim no credit for creating it.

Basics

-The last player standing is the victor.
-A player’s role is not revealed when they die (of course, if their role was guessed you will know it).
-Players may PM other players during the game as long as the moderator is included. They may not PM during the voting phase.
-Dead players cannot post, but moderator discretion may permit a final post or a pre submitted last will.
-Actions, gifts, and guesses are sent to the moderator.

Phases

-The game itself has four phases.
-Discussion is permitted and encouraged throughout all phases.

Challenge Phase

-The Challenge Phase lasts 72 hours, or until all players have challenged or nochallenged and all pending challenges are resolved.
-The game begins on this phase.
-Players may “
/challenge
” other players to dances or duels.
-Once issued, the challenged player must choose whether to “
/accept
” the challenge or use a “
/deny
” (all players begin the game with a deny).
-If the challenged player does not respond by the end of the Challenge Phase, the challenge is automatically accepted.
-Each player may only challenge once per Challenge Phase (even if the challenge is denied), but can be challenged multiple times.
-If a player does not wish to challenge, they may instead “
/nochallenge
”. This allows the phase to end earlier. Players must still choose whether to accept or deny challenges.
-The results of the challenges will be posted at the end of the Action Phase (see Action Phase).
-The victors of duels and dances are determined by which player’s roles are higher on the respective list (see below), plus any interfering abilities.

Duel

Barbarian
Soldier
Man-At-Arms
Blacksmith
Magician
Peasant
Blackmailer
Poisoner
Actor
Student
Thief
Musician
Royal
Monk (alternates)

Dance

Royal
Thief
Musician
Blackmailer
Peasant
Magician
Poisoner
Soldier
Man-At-Arms
Actor
Student
Blacksmith
Barbarian
Monk (alternates)

Action Phase

-The Action Phase lasts 24 hours, or until all actions have been received.
-Roles with abilities that are used during the Action Phase can PM the moderator to use them. Currently, this is the Blacksmith and Musician.
-At the moderator’s discretion, players may begin selected gifts (see Voting Phase).
-The results for duels and dances will be posted at the end of the Action Phase.

Voting Phase

-The Voting Phase lasts 48 hours, or until a 90% majority has been reached or until all players have voted.
-The Voting Phase will still occur during the first round, but no players will be voted and no execution will occur.
-Any player who lost a duel or dance during the past Challenge Phase is a valid vote target.
-The player with the most votes at the end of the phase will be executed.
-If there is a tie, there is a revote. If the votes are still tied, no player is executed.
-The Man-at-arms, Royal, and Poisoner act during this phase. The Royal may also PM an extra vote.
-Players may also select gifts during this phase (see below).
-For each challenge participated in (no matter if won or lost) the player earns one gift. Gifts are revealed at the end of the Voting Phase.

Gifts

Extra Deny- grants an extra deny to deny a challenge (see Challenge Phase) (each player starts with one deny)
Extra Switch- grants an extra plate switch to swap plates (see Dinner Phase) (each player starts with one switch)
Free Guess- during the upcoming Dinner Phase, you may make a guess as to a player’s role. If you are correct, they will be executed. You may only choose one of this gift per round.
Guess Immunity- you are not a valid guess target during the next Dinner Phase.
Premium Food- you are not a valid Poisoner target during the Voting Phase (you can still be poisoned if your plate is switched)

Dinner Phase

-The Dinner Phase ends after 24 hours, or after all players have switched or noswitched.
-Each player is given a plate of food.
-You may “
/switch
” your food with any of the other players, consuming a plate switch (each player begins with one plate switch).
-You may also secretly switch your plate with another player, agreed to through PMs. Both players must PM me for the secret switch to take place.
-At the end of the phase, each player eats the food in front of them.
-Players who eat poison food will die (excluding the Soldier).
-The Barbarian, Blackmailer, and Monk act during this phase. The Thief may secretly switch plates during this phase.
-In addition, if you received a free guess as a gift, you must use it during the Dinner Phase. If you are correct, that player will be executed at the end of the Dinner Phase. All attempted guesses are revealed at the end of the Dinner Phase.
-If you do not have a free guess, you may still make a guess as to another player’s role as normal. However, if you are incorrect, you will be executed. This is called guessing at the Stake of your Life.

Role Cards

Actor

You are an
Actor
!
A noble in one kingdom. A wanted criminal in another. A celebrated playwright in a faraway land. Your mastery of the art of disguise allows you to be anything to anyone. It is this mastery that led you to take the place of a contestant and enter the Castle.

You may guess at the role of the dead players once each. PM the moderator to use this power. You will be told if your guess is correct or incorrect. If your guess is correct, you may add that role to your repertoire.
Once per game, you may select a role from your repertoire, and become that role. You will inherit all of that role's abilities and List rankings. However, you will still only be guessable as the Actor.
Once you have become that role, you can no longer guess at the roles of dead players.
All players will be notified when the Actor has chosen a role, but they will not be told what that role may be.
You may not become the Poisoner.

Barbarian

You are a
Barbarian
!
Across the land, your name is whispered in fearful corners and shouted from the peaks of mountains. Mighty conquerors seek mighty trophies, and the Palace is certainly a worthy trophy.

Three times per game, during the Dinner Phase, you may intimidate one player, preventing them from challenging, and forcing them to accept all offers for challenges. PM the Moderator to use this power.
If you intimidate a player, the intimidated player will be announced at the beginning of the Challenge Phase.

Blackmailer

You are a
Blackmailer
!
Your hobby is certainly dirty- in that you dig up dirt. Research and preparation are the keys to success. Before you entered the Palace, you were already familiar with every tidbit and secret embedded in the past of the other players- secrets that will make them cringe in fear and do your bidding.

During the Dinner Phase, you may blackmail one player. PM the Moderator to use this power.
Blackmailed players must challenge during the Challenge Phase, or will die. Only the blackmailed player will know that they are blackmailed.

Blacksmith

You are a
Blacksmith
!
Steel flows like water under your steady gaze and steady flame. The pounding of your hammer crafts works of art and workers of war. One of your weapons in a hand guarantees victory.

At the beginning of the Action Phase, you will be notified of the intended winner(s) of the accepted duel(s).
Three times per game, during the Action Phase, you may change the winner of a duel. PM the Moderator to use this power. You may use this ability once on yourself.

Magician

You are a
Magician
!
Why must the magical elite linger among the unpowered civilians? No matter. Your victory is near certain, as you are obvious the the most cunning and clever person here. The other contestants must be grateful that your powers are too flashy .

Once per game, you may choose a player to magically kill. PM the Moderator to use this power.
When you use your power, you will be revealed as the Magician. There are no restrictions on when you may use this power, only that you cannot use it if you are one of the losers in a voting phase.

Man-At-Arms

You are a
Man-At-Arms
!
All these poor people attempting to fool their way to riches, you have, and always has, been an excellent murderer. By detecting weakness in the group, you can spread fear with one simple line - Who done it?

Once per voting phase, you may shoot one person. They will not survive the shot unless they are the Soldier. If you shoot the Soldier, the Soldier will kill you instead and you will be revealed as the Man-At-Arms.
You can only shoot losers of duels/dances.
Additionally, you also gain an additional shot every time you defeat a player in a duel or dance.
The Shooting is silent, meaning it does not reveal your role.
You cannot store more than 1 shot at a time.

Monk

You are a
Monk
!
Some claim that the gods do not exist, but how can you deny their existence when they whisper in your ears? A lifetime of physical and mental discipline has brought you to the peak of aptitude. May the gods forgive you when you unleash your force.

You alternate between the top of the Duel List and bottom of the Dance list, and top of the Dance List and bottom of the Duel List. It is randomized which list you start on top of.
Once per game, during the Dinner Phase, you may pray. PM the Moderator to use this power.
After you pray, you will move to the top of both the dance and duel lists until the next Dinner Phase.

Musician

You are a
Musician
!
Perfect pitch, perfect playing... perfect music. Hands dance across strings and keys as the notes rise and fall. No matter the tune, no matter the tempo, every song ascends to perfection in your grasp. Yet with a single twist, that song becomes an instrument of death.

At the beginning of the Action Phase, you will be notified of the intended winner(s) of the accepted dance(s).
Three times per game, during the Action Phase, you may change the winner of a dance. PM the Moderator to use this power. You may use this ability once on yourself.

Peasant

You are a
Peasant
!
Every day, you go out onto your simple plot of land and farm. But those who look past your grubby face will find a mind as sharp as a tack. The world is an open book to you, as darting eyes pick out nuances in every scenario.

You will be notified whenever the Blacksmith or the Musician interferes in a challenge.
You will be notified of any secret plate switches.
You will be notified of the original target for the poisoner. (Not post-switch)

Poisoner

You are a
Poisoner
!
There is no better color than the pale blue of asphyxiation. Or perhaps a simple white pallor. Hmm, but the rich re- No matter. Your art is that of death, slipped unnoticed into a vein, on the rim of a cup, among familiar foods...

You may poison a player's food during the Voting Phase. If they eat it, they will die during the dinner phase. PM the Moderator to use this power.

Royal

You are a
Royal
!
The blood running through your veins is undeniably royal. An aura of command encircles and influences those who behold you. Combined with a forceful and assertive personality, you can direct others without their knowledge.

Your vote counts as two during the Voting Phase. PM the moderators to cast your second vote secretly.
Once per game, during the Voting Phase, you may force a vote. PM the Moderator to use this power.

Soldier

You are a
Soldier
!
You went off to war a simple peasant boy, unsure of the world. You returned not a man, but a soldier. With guns, war is hell. With magic, war is worse. Your mind was nearly shattered, and your body forever changed.

You are immune to poison. You will know when someone has attempted to poison you.
If you are attacked by the Man-At-Arms, you will kill them instead.

Student

You are a
Student
!
During your college years, you could never confine yourself to a single field of study. Thankfully, a natural knack for learning led to the collection of a wide variety of skills. In the Palace, this ability will serve you well, as duelling and dancing are simply other skills.

Each time you participate in a duel or dance, you move up two slots on the corresponding list. Dead players count as being on the lists.

Thief

You are a
Thief
!
The perfect crime remains unknown. It is a mark of your prowess as a thief that no one had heard your name or seen your exploits. You have stolen from the richest kings, scammed the brightest scholars... Switching plates is like taking candy from a baby.

You may switch player's plates up to five times without their knowledge, every dinner. PM the Moderator to use this power. If the Poisoner dies, you will become the new poisoner. You will inherit the Poisoner's abilities and positions on the Duel and Dance lists, however you will still only be guessable as the Thief.

If you want to sign up, please type /join and give yourself an animal mask. There are 14 spots. This will be my first time moderating a game of this complexity, so bear with me. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in the thread. Also, if anyone want to help me write the flavor (All of the flavor in the rolecards was taken from the original game), hit me up. Otherwise, I think we can do without it.

Titles Used:

Let the Games Begin!
Let the Meddling Begin!
Nine Lives for Naught
Deep Fried Fish
Guessing Games
Eighteen Lives for Naught
Deep Fried Chicken
Guessing Games Redux
Red Dragon This Game Down
Final Fourplay
Long Spine Versus No Spine
Bolt From the Blue

Player list

Pink
represents the number of Denies each player has, and
orange
represents how many Plate Switches each player has.

WINNER: The Blue Dragon (Maxspir_7)-
Blackmailer

2nd Place: The Giraffe (pablito)-
Peasant

3rd Place: The Mouse (Cybele)-
Monk

4th Place: The Dog (Jeanne11)-
Magician

5th Place: The Red Dragon (vonflare)-
Poisoner

6th Place: The Spider (JDGA)-
Blacksmith

7th Place: The Hornet (Lokalexabender)-
Soldier

8th Place: The Kangaroo (THEYARSK_2017)-
Barbarian

9th Place: The Chicken (Cheery Dog)-
Student

10th Place: The Wolf (lilith2013)-
Actor

11th Place: The White Cat (Tatsuya Kaname)-
Thief

12th Place: The Swordfish (Felissan)-
Musician

13th Place: The Cat (ForWhomTheJellyRolls)-
Royal

14th Place: The Fox (ika)-
Man-At-Arms
Last edited by Lokiben on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:12 am, edited 74 times in total.
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:58 pm

Post by ForWhomTheJellyRolls »

/join

This looks interesting. Do I just pick an animal?
"A hidden truth supports everything. Find it, and win." - Ramayana
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Do you have the need for Mafia de Cuba?
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Post by JDGA »

Do you win by just being the last one standing?

Yes

Edit: bbcode fail

Edit: bbcode correction fail -_-

Last edited by Lokiben on Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fickle, cold and harsh or caring and warm
Strongly opinionated or barely invested, but a constant
You know the wind will always come back.
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Post by Cybele »

/mouse mask.
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Post by ForWhomTheJellyRolls »

I want cat btws
"A hidden truth supports everything. Find it, and win." - Ramayana
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Do you have the need for Mafia de Cuba?
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

/in

I want to claim a chicken
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:28 pm

Post by ika »

/in?

looks intresting so im gonna see how this play out.

ill take the fox mask jsut so i can make refence to the song over and over
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:15 am

Post by Lokiben »

I'm sending out rolecards to those who have already signed up. Keep 'em coming!
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:19 am

Post by JDGA »

/in as spider

private communication Y/N?
Fickle, cold and harsh or caring and warm
Strongly opinionated or barely invested, but a constant
You know the wind will always come back.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:23 am

Post by Lokiben »

PM=Private Message. Sorry, I keep letting lingo from my other forum slip out.

Edit- Oh, I misunderstood. I'll allow private communication, as long as I'm cced.
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:04 am

Post by lilith2013 »

/in as wolf
Jeanne11
Jeanne11
Mafia Scum
Jeanne11
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:30 am

Post by Jeanne11 »

/in as dog if available
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:17 pm

Post by vonflare »

/in as dragon
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Post by vonflare »

I just read the entire OP, and I am in awe. This game is genius. The potential for interplay, the balance, everything. I want to meet the person who designed this.

I am actually going to make these cards in real life and play it with my friends.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:48 pm

Post by vonflare »

BTW the 'necromancer' role card is missing from the OP. he appears in the duel list, but you don't list his abilities and he isn't in the dance list.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:55 pm

Post by vonflare »

when this game finishes are you going to run another one?

If you are, /pre-in.

If you aren't, I'm accepting pre-ins for the one that I run.

also sorry for the quad-post lol
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:58 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 14, vonflare wrote:BTW the 'necromancer' role card is missing from the OP. he appears in the duel list, but you don't list his abilities and he isn't in the dance list.

My bad, the Necromancer was an older role that is replaced with the Actor in this version, at my discretion. I copied and pasted most of the rules from the Behind the Masks Hub, over at the Town of Salem Forums. Link:

http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/vi ... 25&t=29702

There's a couple of ongoing games that you can observe if you want, plus some other roles that have been removed or tweaked.

If I have a good time moderating, and the game goes well, I'll probably do this again. If I don't feel free to.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:28 pm

Post by vonflare »

Didn't the original game have teams of 2?
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Post by Lokiben »

There was a single game with a mechanic like that, I believe. I wasn't in it. If teams are something that you all, the players, want, then I can incorporate it.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Post by vonflare »

No, you do it how you want to do it. I just read one of the games on that page, so I can definitely be wrong.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 19, vonflare wrote:No, you do it how you want to do it. I just read one of the games on that page, so I can definitely be wrong.

You've got me thinking though. Teams could be fun. Maybe it can be shelved for a future game. Also, you should read 5.1, where I'm crushing ATM.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:51 pm

Post by vonflare »

will do
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:12 pm

Post by Lokiben »

VucubCaquix wrote:
I just read the entire OP, and I am in awe. This game is genius. The potential for interplay, the balance, everything. I want to meet the person who designed this.

I am actually going to make these cards in real life and play it with my friends.

:oops:

Quoted straight from a PM from VucubCaquix, the creator of Behind the Masks, who saw your comments, vonflare.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:14 pm

Post by pablito »

/in as Giraffe
Sup, later.
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

/in as cat...
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Yes. Making too many hoods is moderator suicide. -Enter
I want to shoot this post in the face with a flamethrower. - zakk

Return to “Social Game Archive”