stop fakeclaiming as town!: the case for lynch all liars

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:58 am

Post by Akarin »

Winning because one of your teammates is an asshole is infinitely less enjoyable than winning because your team played well. It's not like getting carried by a better player, it's like someone doing something obnoxious and stupid and then acting superior if it pays off.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

How is faking a guilty being an asshole?

How is gambiting in general being an asshole?
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Post by Akarin »

In post 92, Akarin wrote:If you fake a cop guilty, you're taking away the part of the game where you argue about your reads (i.e. the whole fun of the game for VTs) and deciding your judgement is all that matters. If you're wrong you threw the game for your team and didn't give them the chance to try, which is terrible. But even if you win, you think you're getting all this glory from your great play but the rest of the town feels robbed of actually getting to play the game.

Team games where one player cares more about their ego than letting the rest of the team actually play the game are no fun whether you win or lose.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:07 pm

So basically it is never ok to gambit ever, and you must cooperate with your teammates or else you're being an asshole?
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:14 pm

Post by Akarin »

In post 98, Akarin wrote:I'm sure you could come up with tons of small lies that no one would think would ruin a game and it'd be really hard to write a rule that allowed those but banned the actual really harmful stuff.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 pm

In post 104, Akarin wrote:
In post 98, Akarin wrote:I'm sure you could come up with tons of small lies that no one would think would ruin a game and it'd be really hard to write a rule that allowed those but banned the actual really harmful stuff.
It's extremely subjective on what is really harmful.

Some players play laid back, letting their team do more of the heavy lifting. Are they being an asshole, or harming their team?
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Post by Akarin »

After a certain point, yes.

Extreme lurking is sort of the same problem, messing with deadlines helps, but you can't really ban all lurking without unfairly punishing some reasonable behavior. But there's a point where the lurking is both playing against your wincon and making the game less fun for the other players, and policy eliminating players at that point can be reasonable (but often isn't because in that instance even though you want to, it seems like a better move to eliminate someone else.)

But it's much harder for one player lurking to do anywhere near the harm of one player trying to pull potentially game-throwing gambits. (Which are bad whether they work out or not.)
Last edited by Akarin on Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:48 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 90, Alchemist21 wrote:
In post 89, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 88, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:If you lie about faking a guilty or being a mason, no one will believe when it’s actually true. Hrnce, The Boy Who Cried Wolf type of thing because META.
So.. I shouldn't do something... because it will damage my meta..
which will affect future games

Why should I care about future games?
That was just a point on top of the bigger point that faking guilties and Masons doesn’t help you win the current game. It hurts you in both the current and future games.
+1
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:52 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 92, Akarin wrote:If you fake a cop guilty, you're taking away the part of the game where you argue about your reads (i.e. the whole fun of the game for VTs) and deciding your judgement is all that matters. If you're wrong you threw the game for your team and didn't give them the chance to try, which is terrible. But even if you win, you think you're getting all this glory from your great play but the rest of the town feels robbed of actually getting to play the game.

Team games where one player cares more about their ego than letting the rest of the team actually play the game are no fun whether you win or lose.

Misleading the town about the setup is a different version of the same thing. People are going to come to wrong conclusions and not get to play their best for the sake of you feeling special.

We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:03 pm

In post 106, Akarin wrote:But it's much harder for one player lurking to do anywhere near the harm of one player trying to pull potentially game-throwing gambits. (Which are bad whether they work out or not.)
How are they bad when a fake guilty works out? Your team feels like shit because they weren't involved in the decision making? Guess what: They still wouldn't be involved in the decision making even if the guilty was legitimate. Do you advocate for no player to ever give out legitimate guilties, for fear that their team will feel like shit, or you realize that teamwork was never in the process of a cop getting a guilty?
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 109, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 106, Akarin wrote:But it's much harder for one player lurking to do anywhere near the harm of one player trying to pull potentially game-throwing gambits. (Which are bad whether they work out or not.)
How are they bad when a fake guilty works out? Your team feels like shit because they weren't involved in the decision making? Guess what: They still wouldn't be involved in the decision making even if the guilty was legitimate. Do you advocate for no player to ever give out legitimate guilties, for fear that their team will feel like shit, or you realize that teamwork was never in the process of a cop getting a guilty?
The difference is the TRUE guilty is based off of facts, not some player’s potentially wrong hunch.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 pm

Post by northsidegal »

to be honest, i think i actually sort of see where jake is coming from here.

starting from the premises that you should always be playing to your win condition as much as you can and that you shouldn't be playing to future win conditions, i could see a line of thinking in which not only is faking a guilty logical, but it's the
only
thing to do. falsely claiming guilties destroys both your credibility and the credibility of all guilty claims for future games, but you shouldn't be playing to future win conditions. with that in mind, if one were to truly think that someone else were scum and if falsely claiming a guilty is the quickest and most convincing way to get people to vote with you, it could be said that in order to most effectively play to your win condition you would
have
to do everything possible to get your scumread lynched, and that would mean falsely claiming a guilty.

just in case it's not clear, i do not think that this is actually a good idea. i think it just
can
logically follow from a set of premises.

First, I think that "don't play to future win conditions" isn't entirely accurate. I think a more accurate statement would be "don't play to future win conditions
instead of
your current win condition. I think that this is more accurate because it gets to the heart of the entire reason that it's a principle in the first place, trust telling. Among other possible reasons, we don't like trust telling because when someone refuses to trust tell that they're town, they throw away the game as scum for the sake of being confirmed town in future games, and this isn't fair to the scumteam in the game they refuse to trust tell in, and it's arguable not fair to the scumteam in the game that they
do
trust tell in. The person refusing to trust tell as scum is playing to a future win condition
instead of
their current win condition. To put it succinctly, it's game-breaking.

As a player, there is nothing wrong with playing to
both
your current and future win conditions, and indeed this is what most people actually do. If you care about your credibility at all beyond the purview of the game that you're currently in, you are in some sense playing to a future win condition. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, and I don't imagine many people would argue that there is.

Second, I don't have a problem with "you should always be playing to your win condition as much as you can", but I
do
think that fake-claiming guilties would be a misapplication of this. I think that as a player you should always be aware of your own strengths, weaknesses and accuracy, and take that into account. Mathdino has the best summary of that idea, so I'll leave most of the elaboration to him. Basically, I think that failure to take into account your own accuracy when considering whether or not you should fakeclaim a guilty
would
be a failure to play to your win condition as much as you can, just the same as a deliberate refusal to take into account some piece of information in the game thread would be. Information about yourself and your own abilities is perhaps equally as relevant as information about other players.
In post 101, Jake The Wolfie wrote:How is faking a guilty being an asshole?

How is gambiting in general being an asshole?
There's a lot of things you could call it: culture, a standard, site meta, an unspoken agreement. Whatever you call it, faking a guilty is going against it, and almost universally gets people mad. You're prioritizing your own beliefs over everyone else's, bypassing the normal process of discussion, and taking advantage of people's trust on a level higher than in-game alignments. And that's all before considering whether you were even right or wrong.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:10 pm

In post 110, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:The difference is the TRUE guilty is based off of facts, not some player’s potentially wrong hunch.
Could a player's facts not be altered by the unforseen, such as a miller?
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:10 pm

Post by Akarin »

Jake The Wolfie wrote:How are they bad when a fake guilty works out? Your team feels like shit because they weren't involved in the decision making? Guess what: They still wouldn't be involved in the decision making even if the guilty was legitimate. Do you advocate for no player to ever give out legitimate guilties, for fear that their team will feel like shit, or you realize that teamwork was never in the process of a cop getting a guilty?
It feels like you're not really arguing in good faith here.

The problem with most of these gambits (aside from the point others are making that often the players making them have a vastly inflated opinion of how likely they are to work out compared to reality) is that they're about
your ego
being more important to you than actually having a good game.

You're gambling the entire game with no consent from the other players. Whether it pays off or not is irrelevant.

And yes, cops are lame.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:12 pm

In post 111, northsidegal wrote:There's a lot of things you could call it: culture, a standard, site meta, an unspoken agreement. Whatever you call it, faking a guilty is going against it, and almost universally gets people mad. You're prioritizing your own beliefs over everyone else's, bypassing the normal process of discussion, and taking advantage of people's trust on a level higher than in-game alignments. And that's all before considering whether you were even right or wrong.
People are by no means obligated to follow the guilty result, whether real or false.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:14 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 114, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 111, northsidegal wrote:There's a lot of things you could call it: culture, a standard, site meta, an unspoken agreement. Whatever you call it, faking a guilty is going against it, and almost universally gets people mad. You're prioritizing your own beliefs over everyone else's, bypassing the normal process of discussion, and taking advantage of people's trust on a level higher than in-game alignments. And that's all before considering whether you were even right or wrong.
People are by no means obligated to follow the guilty result, whether real or false.
to be honest, i don't think that what you just said responds to anything that i said in what you quoted. it seems like a bit of a non-sequitur.

things fall apart
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:16 pm

In post 113, Akarin wrote:You're gambling the entire game with no consent from the other players. Whether it pays off or not is irrelevant.
Then why isn't there some big argument whenever a gambit is thrown out about whether gambits should be used or not?
And most gambits cannot have the consent of other players without giving the game away that something is up.

If gambits were not good, then we would not have wiki pages describing the gambits, especially if those pages don't have disclaimers stating that "This should not be used in actual gameplay"
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:19 pm

In post 115, northsidegal wrote:
to be honest, i don't think that what you just said responds to anything that i said in what you quoted. it seems like a bit of a non-sequitur.
I was responding to how you were applying the fake guilty, as if it was a false commandment given from on high that "This person shall die today, and any deviation must be eliminated."
That's false. You aren't obligated to execute a guilty result, whether truthful or not. People can lie, be corrupt, be mistaken, or be all three at once.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 112, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 110, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:The difference is the TRUE guilty is based off of facts, not some player’s potentially wrong hunch.
Could a player's facts not be altered by the unforseen, such as a miller?
Well yes, that’s why a miller unless they are extremely confident that they will never be cop checked ought to claim.

You also have to take the gamestate into account, of course but If I say tracked player X to player Y who ate the previous night’s NK and I’m the next and I never reveal my result, I’d essentially be gamethrowing hiding important information from town. As long as you are 100% honest about the specific nature of your “gulity”, then it’s up to town to make that ultimate judgment call.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Post by Akarin »

In post 116, Jake The Wolfie wrote: If gambits were not good, then we would not have wiki pages describing the gambits, especially if those pages don't have disclaimers stating that "This should not be used in actual gameplay"
This doesn't follow at all.

Is every role and setup on the wiki good?

And anyway, these kind of things are disproportionately likely to get coverage because they're something people can be egotistical about.

And as I keep saying, there's a huge difference between gambling the game on something and, for example, a reaction test.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:22 pm

In post 118, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Well yes, that’s why a miller unless they are extremely confident that they will never be cop checked ought to claim.
A miller claim makes them more suspicious, no? That would seem to hinder your objective, not help it.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:23 pm

In post 119, Akarin wrote:Is every role and setup on the wiki good?
That depends very much on the scenario.

Every role is good, and every role is bad.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:25 pm

In post 119, Akarin wrote:And as I keep saying, there's a huge difference between gambling the game on something and, for example, a reaction test.
A Reaction test is a gambit. You are gambitting that the person you are talking to won't catch on to the test, and therefore make the entire test pointless, which can lead to a false trust, which leads to a lost game.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 117, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 115, northsidegal wrote:
I was responding to how you were applying the fake guilty, as if it was a false commandment given from on high that "This person shall die today, and any deviation must be eliminated."
Can you explain where in my post that I do this? I don't think it's apparent in any of my arguments, much less the one that you quoted.

It's true that nobody
has
to follow through on someone claiming a guilty. That doesn't change anything I said there.

things fall apart
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:27 pm

Post by Ythan »

Heads up people have been playing this game for 20+ years and these thoughts have all been had many times before it's like the mafia version of I'm 14 and this is deep.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”