Faction Relationships

Older threads and ideas relating to the Amstaad RPG.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Faction Relationships

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:10 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

It would be nice to have a thread with the different relationships and how different factions view each other. Okay, to be honest, I need a thread where I can bounce ideas off of you guys. This should be common knowledge to the players or easily accessible information, so there will be no quest spoilers.

From what I gather there is the assassin's guild, the Uhura. They are in good terms with the government because without it government officials would lose their jobs - or their lives. Question: Are the nobles from the empire or are they nobles of the city itself ? If they are from the empire they would naturally be hostile to the Uhura.

Then there's the merchant's guild. Personally, this is my idea for them:

So the government is out to get the PCs who break the law, right ? I thought that we should give the lawful ones a bit of a hard time too, by using the merchants guild. These guys will try to make prices high, and make life difficult for the law abiding PCs in an area where it is hard to break the law. Kind of a risk/reward thing. If its easy to break the law in the Commoner Districts, there should be little reward. So breaking the law in the secure Merchants District should be more rewarding, if much harder. In that train of thoughts, we should give the PCs some incentive to break the law sometimes, with personal grudges towards money-grubbing merchants for the law abiding and law enforcers for those who break the law. What do you think ?

I also wonder if the Nobles
are
the government, or if not what their relationship is. I believe that since this is a port city, the Docksmen and the Merchants should hold considerable sway over the politics of the administration. This could be interesting to see how it plays out with so many factions trying to control Amstaad, but I thought we would clarify this issue before we release the game.

Feel free to edit this post!
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:52 am

Post by Yaw »

Well, there are already race relationships here: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=853

I wouldn't say the purpose of the government is to do more than govern, with all that normally entails. (Originally, asinine PCs were going to be sent "through the rabbit hole" to Randomland, a separate plane Macros was going to mod to punish rules transgressors. But that was mod-enforced, not related to the government of Amstaad.) My feeling is that it's better to create the world first in a relatively consistent manner, and then have the players fit into it, rather than creating the world around the players.

It can be valid to have players burgling, but in general thieves should still be honourable.

The nobles are not the government. Rather, these would have been noble families from the empire pre-independence, who have decided to remain in the city. I picture them being placated with some power concessions in the new system of government, in order to avoid having their wealth flee the city. So while the government is representative, it's definitely a skewed representation.
Success breeds suspicion

Return to “Old Aamstaad”