Newbie 497: Game over; town win!

Thestatusquo
Shea

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:18 pm

Welcome to newbie 497! I hope you all enjoy killing each other, because you're gunna do a lot of it!

Alive: 3 (bold means confirmed)
2) [s]waarAuchoitz Mongy101
6) Yosarian2
7) pablito

Dead: 4
3) UnrightHo1den: Mafia, lynched d1
1) clockwork, vanilla, killed n1
4) [s]Icarus[/s] hasdgfasVanilla, lynched d2
5) jerubbaal, Vanilla, killed n2

(stolen from meme)
One of the following four set-ups is used for this game:

a) 2 mafia, 1 cop, 1 doc, 3 townies
b) 2 mafia, 1 cop, 4 townies
c) 2 mafia, 1 doc, 4 townies
d) 2 mafia, 5 townies

Note: in view of the number of players, we will start in the day phase, although most larger games start with a night. The mafia will be allowed to communicate pre-game, though no role will submit choices until Day 1 is over.

Possible roles:
Mafia PM:
You are Mafia, along with your partner _________. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only you remain; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). You may talk with your partner when it is not Day, and send me a choice via PM of who you wish to kill.
Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no kills will happen until Night One.

Doc PM:
You are the Doctor, and you can protect people from harm. Each Night, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the Mafia, they will live. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and try to lynch correctly during the Day.

Note: Doctors are 100% effective in Newbie Games (the person they protect will never die on the night they are protected). You may not protect yourself.

Cop PM:
You are the Cop, and you can tell good from bad. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day.

Note: Cops always get a correct result in Newbie Games (no sanity issues). You cannot investigate yourself.

Vanilla PM:
You are a Townie, and you've got no special powers at Night. No investigations, no protection, no gun to shoot people. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Help lynch Mafia during the Day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.
Last edited by Thestatusquo on Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 17 times in total.
My memes are no longer relevant to the youths

Manatee Mafia coming to a large theme queue near you SOON (TM)

Thestatusquo
Shea

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:20 pm

The Rules:(also stolen shamelessly from meme)
  • Votes must be in bold. If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted.
  • Please be attentive and unvote, if necessary, before casting a new vote. This is not required, but I’d appreciate it.
  • Executions will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, his pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. You may vote: no lynch – majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.
  • The game is not to be discussed outside of the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so.
  • Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing.
  • Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts
  • Don’t quote any PMs from me.
  • If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you – if you do not submit a choice to me, tough! No choice will be made.
  • If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
  • Remember, it’s a game. It’s supposed to played. It’s supposed to be fun. Do your part.
My memes are no longer relevant to the youths

Manatee Mafia coming to a large theme queue near you SOON (TM)

pablito
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:46 pm

/confirm
Sup, later.

jerubbaal
Goon

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:06 pm

/confirm
<><

Unright
Goon

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:18 pm

/conned and firm
Vote Right -- Unvote Unright!

clockwork
Goon

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:12 pm

/confirm

Icarus
Townie

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:09 pm

/confirm
Unless, of course, I'm wrong.

AuggieDoggie
Townie

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:49 pm

confirm

Yosarian2
(shrug)

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:01 pm

Confirm....sorry for the wait, I've been away from my comp for a few days unexpectedly.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie

Unright
Goon

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:13 pm

Yosarian2 wrote:Confirm....sorry for the wait, I've been away from my comp for a few days unexpectedly.

Whatever you say... Lurker!

vote: Yosarian2 :lol:

AuggieDoggie
Townie

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Vote Yosarian2

clockwork
Goon

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:29 am

Thestatusquo wrote:1) clockwork
2) [s]waar[/s]Auchoitz
3) Unright
4) Icarus
5) jerubbaal
6) Yosarian2
7) pablito

Okay, random vote using the dice tag...
[dice]1d7 = 1252341745 [/dice]

clockwork
Goon

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:31 am

So #7... that's pablito.

Vote: pablito.

pablito
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:13 pm

vote: clockwork for two reasons:

1) relying on external locus of control ie: random vote
2) OMGUS
Sup, later.

Icarus
Townie

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:08 pm

Sorry to do this right off the bat, but I'm going to be out of touch for the next day and a half (camping in the woods with my housemates for Halloweekend). I don't see any mention of a deadline in the mod posts, so I'm waiting to vote until I'm back. Have a good weekend, everybody.

clockwork
Goon

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:01 pm

Random voting at the very beginning of D1 is SOP, ergo I call craplogic on pablito.

jerubbaal
Goon

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:32 pm

Vote: Unright

This is a delayed OMGUS from last game. The man has terrible instincts, he must go. I will have revenge!!!! (meta me if you want to understand, don't worry, it's not a long meta)
<><

pablito
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:07 pm

clockwork wrote:Random voting at the very beginning of D1 is SOP, ergo I call craplogic on pablito.

It's not my current S.O.P. and I don't really like random voting. Therefore I am voting you so that I can hope to dissuade you from doing it in the future. clockwork, would you like to call my reason #2 craplogic as well or does OMGUS suffice as proper logic?

If you don't mind, clockwork, I'd also like you to go further on the craplogic issue. I find it worthwhile to discuss no matter what. Please explain first what my logic was (and feel free to ask me more questions if you need to find it out) and then after that please outline how my said logic is craplogic. Perhaps you didn't understand my reasons in the first place and you're calling them craplogic before you got to know why I actually voted.

Also, jerubbaal if you're talking about the game I think you're talking about, it's a really bad reason to OMGUS vote since you were both on the same side and I couldn't blame either of you for not being on the right track.
Sup, later.

Unright
Goon

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:18 pm

jerubbaal wrote:This is a delayed OMGUS from last game. The man has terrible instincts, he must go. I will have revenge!!!! (meta me if you want to understand, don't worry, it's not a long meta)

Heh.. Hey jer.. Yeah, I probably deserve that. I made the call that most likely cost the town in that game. :oops: But I'm a noob and this is the forum where the learn the ropes of mafia, right? And I think I've learned from my mistakes. Plus this is the second time I've played a game with you and now I know what your behavior is like when you're a townie. If your behavior is consistent, I'm unlikely to screw up twice.

Auchoitz wrote:Vote Yosarian2

So what's the deal with you copying my vote?

Yosarian2
(shrug)

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:24 am

vote:Auchoitz

Random voting is fine, but in a game with 2 scum and 4 votes to lynch, it's not really a pro-town move to put a second vote on someone on page 1 with no reason.

Icarus
Townie

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:06 pm

I didn't like that either. I'd like to hear Auchoitz say something about it.

I also think random voting first day should be okay as long as it doesn't become random lynching.

I'm back, by the way.

jerubbaal
Goon

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:17 pm

Eh, I certainly can't blame you for that. If the shoe had been on the other foot, I probably would have cast the vote as well. I was put in the unenviable position of attempting to defend against a claim which I knew to be false, yet I had said only a couple posts ago that I was likely to believe. It was certainly an interesting game, any way you cut it. Perhaps I can avoid putting my foot in my mouth quite as much this time and avoiding that unnecessary suspicion in the first place.

Yosarian2 wrote:Random voting is fine, but in a game with 2 scum and 4 votes to lynch, it's not really a pro-town move to put a second vote on someone on page 1 with no reason.

I would have agreed with this statement a while ago, but I'm not so sure now. It seems that keeping reasons somewhat hidden isn't always an anti-town move, when you're attempting to deny the scum the reasons for that vote. When you make reasons explicit, they can react appropriately, but if you keep them hidden, sometimes you can get scum to make mistakes. Still deciding where the appropriate line between exposure and stealth is difficult, but it seems safe to say that full exposure is not always completely in the town's interest.
<><

Yosarian2
(shrug)

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:30 am

jerubbaal wrote:I would have agreed with this statement a while ago, but I'm not so sure now. It seems that keeping reasons somewhat hidden isn't always an anti-town move, when you're attempting to deny the scum the reasons for that vote. When you make reasons explicit, they can react appropriately, but if you keep them hidden, sometimes you can get scum to make mistakes. Still deciding where the appropriate line between exposure and stealth is difficult, but it seems safe to say that full exposure is not always completely in the town's interest.

There's nothing wrong with sometimes not giving all your reasons for voting, but that's pretty clearly not what happened here; considering the fact that he voted before I even said anything, he clearly didn't have any reasons other then random, and I don't like randomally putting a second vote on someone when that means that 2 scum could theoretically pile on and finish the lynch. Now, that almost never actually happens, sure, it's not really that much of a risk, but it still seems like a strange and possibly scummy move on Auchoitz's part.

pablito
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:50 am

FOS: Icarus

I feel that he's saying something, but I'm not sure I sense the passion and conviction behind it. I sense that he's just saying whatever to placate the masses and make others think he's in tune with what's goin on.
Sup, later.

Icarus
Townie

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:46 pm

There's certainly no passion or conviction, but I do think I'm in tune with what's going on. Basically, I didn't like you using a vote against someone as a deterrent for behavior you don't like, in this case random voting. With a game this size, I think FOS would have been more appropriate. On the other hand, as long as you're watching closely to make sure the vote doesn't end up getting someone lynched over nothing, I guess it's not really a reckless move at all.

FOS Auchoitz

I'm suspicious of the quick second vote.

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games