Site Downtime (July 2016)

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:38 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

You are free to buy mafBlack for $4.99
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:39 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 74, Ircher wrote:
In post 73, MURDERCAT wrote:We should just make people pay for skins, the free default one will be tigers.
*AHEM*

I have a visual impairment, and that puts me at a disability.
The visually impaired gotta pay the big bucks
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:43 am

Post by BROseidon »

lol
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:45 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 75, MURDERCAT wrote:You are free to buy mafBlack for $4.99
I would leave this site in a heartbeat!
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:49 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

If I owned the site there would be a 1 minute unskipable ad that plays when you log on. Skins are all $4.99. You can become a subscriber for $10 a month to get access to all skins, have no ads play, get access to site chat, and get your alignment preference in all your games.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:52 am

Post by BBmolla »

I would be fine with ads tbqh. And payable cosmetics.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:54 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

No, a subscription based model is clearly optimal.

VT tier - access to newbie and normal game queues. ABSOLUTELY FREE!
Doctor tier - access to themes, opens, and micros. Allows custom avatars and signatures! only 1.99/month
Godfather tier - access to blitz and marathon queue. Also gives GTKAS+speakeasy access, and is a requirement for consideration in the scummy awards. 4.99/month

Now selling 1 year GF subs at 66%! off for only $20 for a limited time only!
deranged and incoherent
?
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:55 am

Post by Oman »

We had this discussion around the last crash. YOu can tell because the people who are talking about it like it's a
fresh new idea
all have join dates after the last major crash.

Except for BBMolla but whatever.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:56 am

Post by BBmolla »

Like, epicmafia has a couple paid features like name color and text color and "custom roles"

I'm being fairly serious about this, as long as it doesn't affect gameplay and as long as someone can have an enjoyable experience without ever paying a dime, I'm all for it.

edit: I probably ignored that thread there was a long period I didn't look at GD
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:57 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 81, Raskolnikov wrote:No, a subscription based model is clearly optimal.

VT tier - access to newbie and normal game queues. ABSOLUTELY FREE!
Doctor tier - access to themes, opens, and micros. Allows custom avatars and signatures! only 1.99/month
Godfather tier - access to blitz and marathon queue. Also gives GTKAS+speakeasy access, and is a requirement for consideration in the scummy awards. 4.99/month

Now selling 1 year GF subs at 66%! off for only $20 for a limited time only!
I actually like the VT tier, nobody likes newbies and normal anyways, so obviously that's the free part.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:58 am

Post by Ircher »

Yeah, well, having to use the Tigers skin DOES affect gameplay.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:59 am

Post by BBmolla »

In post 85, Ircher wrote:Yeah, well, having to use the Tigers skin DOES affect gameplay.
well duh

but having your own custom skin could be cool if implementable.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:04 am

Post by Oman »

In post 83, BBmolla wrote:Like, epicmafia has a couple paid features like name color and text color and "custom roles"
"Epicmafia does it" is not a serious reason to do anything. And I'm not even talking from a "hue hue fuck those guys" perspective, even though...yeah fuck those guys.

Epicmafia and MSdotnet are different beasts, and different communities, and they have different needs. They're not even close enough to us that they're a good 1:1 analogy.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:08 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 86, BBmolla wrote:
In post 85, Ircher wrote:Yeah, well, having to use the Tigers skin DOES affect gameplay.
well duh

but having your own custom skin could be cool if implementable.
This is not hard to do actually if you know basic HTML/CSS, I got sick of the available skins so I've been working on my own.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:08 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 63, Thestatusquo wrote:I um. I want this to come across in the most undickish way possible...but it might come out rude anyway...

Who in their right minds thinks this site is worth money?

It generates no revenue, has a user base that continues to decline and requires hosting costs that are not recouped in any way.

It's been a great thing for me throughout my life and I'm very thankful to the people who continue to put hard work and money into keeping it running, but the idea that someone would pay money for the privilege of chucking money down the hosting black hole and dealing with the constant aggravation of users like shotty is mind boggling to me.
Well, it's "worth money" to the people who want to have the ability to control other peoples access to the site / threaten people off of it entirely. But we probably don't want them in charge.

I suppose a more wholesome reason would be someone able to float some large fixed costs now that would lower the monthly costs down the road. Although it would still probably be better to just donate that money to mith instead of "buying the site". (And actually, let me know if we're actually in this situation.)
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:09 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 87, Oman wrote:
In post 83, BBmolla wrote:Like, epicmafia has a couple paid features like name color and text color and "custom roles"
"Epicmafia does it" is not a serious reason to do anything. And I'm not even talking from a "hue hue fuck those guys" perspective, even though...yeah fuck those guys.

Epicmafia and MSdotnet are different beasts, and different communities, and they have different needs. They're not even close enough to us that they're a good 1:1 analogy.
I think the argument "Simpsons did it" has always been the best argument of why to do something, because if simpsons did it, you know you can do it better. So the equivalent with EpicMafia seems good enough to engage in their behavior and beat them at their own game!
Show

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:13 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 89, hitogoroshi wrote:
In post 63, Thestatusquo wrote:I um. I want this to come across in the most undickish way possible...but it might come out rude anyway...

It generates no revenue, has a user base that continues to decline and requires hosting costs that are not recouped in any way.

It's been a great thing for me throughout my life and I'm very thankful to the people who continue to put hard work and money into keeping it running, but the idea that someone would pay money for the privilege of chucking money down the hosting black hole and dealing with the constant aggravation of users like shotty is mind boggling to me.
Well, it's "worth money" to the people who want to have the ability to control other peoples access to the site / threaten people off of it entirely. But we probably don't want them in charge.

I suppose a more wholesome reason would be someone able to float some large fixed costs now that would lower the monthly costs down the road. Although it would still probably be better to just donate that money to mith instead of "buying the site". (And actually, let me know if we're actually in this situation.)
According to some shitty site that tells you the worth of other websites the worth of MafiaScum.net is:
$9,322

I was actually surprised. I thought it was going to be worth only 2-3 thousand at most.
Show

Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:14 am

Post by Killthestory »

it's worth more than me
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:16 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Also, if we want to actually get serious about fundraising, we just need a public thread where all "basic respect" rules are nullified but you have to donate $10 to the site for each post you make there.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:06 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 90, Firebringer wrote:
In post 87, Oman wrote:

I think the argument "Simpsons did it" has always been the best argument of why to do something, because if simpsons did it, you know you can do it better. So the equivalent with EpicMafia seems good enough to engage in their behavior and beat them at their own game!
You did not just shit talk The Simpsons.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:07 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 93, hitogoroshi wrote:Also, if we want to actually get serious about fundraising, we just need a public thread where all "basic respect" rules are nullified but you have to donate $10 to the site for each post you make there.

Or a VIP lounge which is accessible to paid users
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:20 am

Post by Kison »

There's definitely value in the site. A lot of people visit it, it has good SEO visibility & a ton of content. That foundation is valuable and not trivial to replicate.

Would you be able to make boatloads of money monetizing it today? Probably not. But think about how basic what we have is: a message board, the onsite chat & wiki. There's a ton of room to improve:
- Better website(moving wiki content there, building face-to-face app(kind of like Fibbage), building realtime game app with simple graphics)
- Improving what we currently have: streamlining the queues, modernizing the forum gameplay, better mobile optimization

This isn't me trying to persuade anyone to buy it(I'm here because it's fun to build stuff, don't care about $), but more to get people excited about the things we can do and can build if we just get excited about and focus on it.
zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:25 am

Post by zakk »

In post 91, Firebringer wrote:
In post 89, hitogoroshi wrote:

According to some shitty site that tells you the worth of other websites the worth of MafiaScum.net is:
$9,322

I was actually surprised. I thought it was going to be worth only 2-3 thousand at most.
Those things are all bullshit

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Is it worth SOME money? yes
Is it worth THAT MUCH? hell no
In post 96, Kison wrote:There's definitely value in the site. A lot of people visit it, it has good SEO visibility & a ton of content. That foundation is valuable and not trivial to replicate.

Would you be able to make boatloads of money monetizing it today? Probably not. But think about how basic what we have is: a message board, the onsite chat & wiki. There's a ton of room to improve:
- Better website(moving wiki content there, building face-to-face app(kind of like Fibbage), building realtime game app with simple graphics)
- Improving what we currently have: streamlining the queues, modernizing the forum gameplay, better mobile optimization

This isn't me trying to persuade anyone to buy it(I'm here because it's fun to build stuff, don't care about $), but more to get people excited about the things we can do and can build if we just get excited about and focus on it.
This is reasonable. The site definitely has value

But the value lies in its value to the users, not the value to potential advertisers/marketers.

It's like a teddy bear that you've had for 14 years. Means the world to you, buuut, you'd part with it if your GF told you to, buuut, you couldn't sell it for more than a dollar if you tried. Goodwill at best, garbage at worst. :P

Unless your little brother shared the teddy bear, then he miiiight be willing to take it off your hands for a "fair" sum. lol
permanently retired

see here for more info
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:34 am

Post by Oman »

In post 97, zakk wrote:But the value lies in its value to the users, not the value to potential advertisers/marketers.

It's like a teddy bear that you've had for 14 years. Means the world to you, buuut, you'd part with it if your GF told you to, buuut, you couldn't sell it for more than a dollar if you tried. Goodwill at best, garbage at worst.
That's a terrible analogy because in this case the person that you're selling your precious teddy bear too will be renting it back to you in some way. Which is valuable.

If the site has value to users, and the ethereal "they" can find a way to make us trade something (money, attention, space, bandwith) for what we value, then yes this site does have value to potential whatevers.

Again, in the bear scenario imagine you say "I love this bear and need it in my life but am going to sell it for quick cash influx. However, I would pay $1/day to rent it back. Or you can dress him up in a pepsi outfit and name him 'cola coley the bear' and give him back to me."
Cromulent Simpsons Quote
Cromulent Simpsons Quote
Townie
Cromulent Simpsons Quote
Townie
Townie
Location: Soaring majestically like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:39 am

Post by Cromulent Simpsons Quote »

In post 94, kuribo wrote:
In post 90, Firebringer wrote:
In post 87, Oman wrote:

You did not just shit talk The Simpsons.

Return to “News”