He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #476 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:50 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

*sings the Jeopardy! theme as loudly as possible and deliberately off-key*
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #477 (ISO) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Post by zoraster »

we finished ours almost two weeks ago. what is going on?
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #478 (ISO) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Post by xofelf »

We have been waiting for Ani to give any sort of indication of availability which he has not done.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #479 (ISO) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

JI'll just quit. My availability is being weird. As in I literally can't do half the days each week and the other days are up in the air.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #480 (ISO) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Post by CuddlyCaucasian »

Sorry you couldn't find a time where you could both do the challenge. :( The final three challenge will be posted tomorrow.
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

"CC is an objectively attractive person." - Crazy

"You look like a happy version of Trent Reznor." - LicketyQuickety

"Do you practice sounding like you're high all the time?" - xofelf
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #481 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:12 am

Post by zoraster »

can you update the post with the games linked in it in the rules and game state?
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #482 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:24 pm

Sure thing!
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #483 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:13 am

Post by zoraster »

So now that this is over, I have a few comments for the next time it's run:

1. I thought overall this was a fun way to celebrate Mish Mash.
2. It took way, way too long at times and yet was way, way too quick at others. Six months is too long for this to run. However it's designed in the future, the goal should be no longer than 3 months.
3. I don't know. But there seemed to me to be too many challenges that required people to be on at the same time. I understand that this is more common in mish mash, but in the future I'd try to limit these things.
4. I think certain challenges were too easy to cheat on. Normally, that's not a huge concern for mish mash because why would you sign up for a game of, say, trivia if you were just going to google things? But in the larger context here, much as I suspect it is in Social games, there's an incentive to cheat. If it's easy and undetectable, then there will be a segment of the population who does it. I should be clear that I'm not accusing anyone in particular of cheating here (see undetectable), but rather a comment in general.
5. I don't love the immunity then picking someone for a brawl mechanic. It's too random. Too social gamey. Either make it a social game or not, but if it's meant to celebrate the large number of games played in mish mash, it shouldn't come down to people picking others to challenge.

Anyway, I thought this was a great idea. Like Team Mafia's first iteration, there were some definite bumps, but they're easily excusable as it was fun and served its purpose. Thanks to CC and xofelf for running it!
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #484 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:15 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

When's Clash of the Mash 2017?
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #485 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:18 am

Post by zoraster »

I think the idea is to alternate it with Team Mafia. This requires a ton of effort to plan and do
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #486 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:23 am

Post by xofelf »

In post 483, zoraster wrote:So now that this is over, I have a few comments for the next time it's run:

1. I thought overall this was a fun way to celebrate Mish Mash.
2. It took way, way too long at times and yet was way, way too quick at others. Six months is too long for this to run. However it's designed in the future, the goal should be no longer than 3 months.
3. I don't know. But there seemed to me to be too many challenges that required people to be on at the same time. I understand that this is more common in mish mash, but in the future I'd try to limit these things.
4. I think certain challenges were too easy to cheat on. Normally, that's not a huge concern for mish mash because why would you sign up for a game of, say, trivia if you were just going to google things? But in the larger context here, much as I suspect it is in Social games, there's an incentive to cheat. If it's easy and undetectable, then there will be a segment of the population who does it. I should be clear that I'm not accusing anyone in particular of cheating here (see undetectable), but rather a comment in general.
5. I don't love the immunity then picking someone for a brawl mechanic. It's too random. Too social gamey. Either make it a social game or not, but if it's meant to celebrate the large number of games played in mish mash, it shouldn't come down to people picking others to challenge.

Anyway, I thought this was a great idea. Like Team Mafia's first iteration, there were some definite bumps, but they're easily excusable as it was fun and served its purpose. Thanks to CC and xofelf for running it!
1) Same tbh.
2) Yes, yes it did. We learned what kinds of challenges work and don't work in the setup as we made it. It did make for some great memes tho. I am glad Wheel of Chess has finally ended.
3) Well, as this was also a nod towards some of how the Large Social Games work, these are inherently part of them. They very much are a huge part of design for any kind of game like this. BUT, a disclaimer for people who hadn't played something like this explaining that these are things would have been beneficial. Though having this to point to will also help give an idea of what is required of players.
4) We were very specific with who we accepted and how challenges were formatted so that should cheating be a thing it would be detectable. There is much more of a unspoken much harder to enforce rule about cheating on challenges than in other parts of the site, that is true. But that isn't to say that there wouldn't have been repercussions for any suspected cheating. There's only so many different ways to prevent things, and we used as many of them as we had available to us.
5) The blend of both was on purpose. Because that IS a celebration of Mish Mash. Even games that aren't part of the Large Social Queue or a Social Game include those types elements. Not having them is to deny a large portion of Mish Mash. Also, this game was meant as a way to celebrate that Mish Mash is a community and to allow people to interact and be more included in it. Socialization was a huge part of the point of Clash in the first place. It's a huge part of what makes Mish Mash what Mish Mash is. Taking that out would not be a proper representation of this part of the site.

And yes, please alternate with Team Mafia. This was a huge effort and took a long while as it was, I'd like to breathe and not come up with the next thing immediately. If someone else wanted to do a game that was similar and not site-wide, you have my permission to dream it up.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #487 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:38 am

Post by zoraster »

4) We were very specific with who we accepted and how challenges were formatted so that should cheating be a thing it would be detectable. There is much more of a unspoken much harder to enforce rule about cheating on challenges than in other parts of the site, that is true. But that isn't to say that there wouldn't have been repercussions for any suspected cheating. There's only so many different ways to prevent things, and we used as many of them as we had available to us.
Well, my problem is that it was laughably EASY to cheat on certain challenges. Colluding with another player to cheat is hard because you have to get someone else willing to admit they want to cheat. Other types of challenges might have elements that outside help would have helped but probably wasn't that big a risk. Like maybe you could cheat on Family Feud or Price is Right, but it's probably kinda hard unless you used sources that were easy to find.

But then there were others. Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. If you google that phrase, the FIRST one that pops up is this site which provides the exact breakdown. Countdown. The numbers aren't easy to cheat at, but the WORDS are so simple to cheat at it hurts. Any number of scrabble cheating websites will do it. Chess is a BIT harder to cheat at because it involves finding a chess computer to do so, but it's not very hard. None of these things would be detectable by you.

So my point is that there were a lot of challenges that this WASN'T a problem or it was a minor problem. I just think these are the challenges that should be focused on.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #488 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:16 am

Post by Shadoweh »

I personally was offended the Final 2 was not a 18 person jury to determine the Sole Clash Survivor how dare you not celebrate SURVIVOR
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #489 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 485, zoraster wrote:I think the idea is to alternate it with Team Mafia. This requires a ton of effort to plan and do
You have twenty-nine days. is that understood?
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #490 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:08 pm

I definitely agree with the vast majority of your comments, zor. I think in the next iteration of this, there would be more of a focus on strategic games such as Blokus and Columns, or challenges where outside sources are allowed but they aren't very useful. I'll have to make the Amazing Race threads public, but I feel we did a great job of making the components of that challenge uncheatable. In terms of the pair/team selection mechanic, I think it'd be better to determine most teams randomly and leave all the politicking to the more social games we include like Buy the Bullet or RAF. I like duels being used to determine the elimination, but I'd also like for everyone to be able to participate in every challenge until their elimination, so I'm throwing around a lot of ideas that diverge from the static team-pair-team-pair round-to-round format.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #491 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Post by zoraster »

For what it's worth, I loved the Bot programming one. That was probably my favorite, though impossible to run at the higher numbers.

Ready Aim Fire was a good one and I think may have been a good venue to incorporate the social survivor aspect without it controlling the overall game.

The amazing race was good, although it felt (as an observer) a tad anti-climatic as a final battle thing.

Jigsong was evil, but some people really liked it.

Blokus worked well, I thought.

Ghost had some of the similar problems as Countdown, but at least there's a lot more strategy to Ghost (similar to scrabble, you can cheat and still lose Ghost to someone who is good). Telephone Pictionary was almost required as a staple of Mish Mash for so long.

Formula Test wasn't really my "thing" but it was kind of fun to work with a team like that.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #492 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

When Xof pressured me into signing up for Clash of the Mash back in July, I was a little reluctant. But I signed up anyway and I'm glad I did, and not only because Klick and I won. The last six month have been a blast, and I feel that the Clash and Survivor: Magic Kingdom have really served as a gateway to me truly feeling like a member of this community. Thanks to the mods for all of your hard work; I know we as players could get a bit unruly at times and there were a few hiccups, but all in all I feel you both did an excellent job of creating a fun atmosphere that tested a wide variety of skillsets. To my fellow players, especially the ones who had me as a partner during the pair rounds, thank you for everything. I enjoyed meeting some of you for the first time, reconnecting with some of you after an extended time, and strengthening the relationships I'd started to build outside of the Clash. And Klick, I couldn't have asked for a better partner on that last challenge. Sorry you had to spend more time than necessary hearing me repeatedly say "fuck fuck fuck" during the ball weighing part.

♫♫♫

That music means I'm out of time, but seriously, this has been a great experience. I'll definitely be back in 2018, and I can't wait to see what the mods do next.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #493 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Post by zoraster »

hey CC, can you make an announcement post in a different post about the winners? I'll global it for a day.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #494 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Post by zoraster »

COTM banners have been awarded BTW
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #495 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:59 pm

Sure thing!

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #496 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Post by zoraster »

oh also i brought in all the PTs I could find.
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #497 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:05 pm

I think I made the thread okay - add anything you want to :) And thanks for moving the PTs over! I think you got all of them

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #498 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

I liked the variety of game types. The only serious qualm I have other than my bad luck is how long the competition took—I agree with zoraster that it shouldn't go over three months.

Being one myself by then, I felt that having the eliminated players provide scenes for Scenes from a Hat was fun for me. I wouldn't be against something like that happening again.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #499 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 496, zoraster wrote:oh also i brought in all the PTs I could find.
Are they stuck with being moved from the PT area? (moved symbol when looking through the PT subforum)

Not that it matters since nobody seems to actually be clearing out the finished threads currently anyway.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.

Return to “Finished Threads”