Champions over Domains

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Champions over Domains

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:15 pm

Post by Vi »

(who else on this site would name a thread that)

Really, really long ago, there was a game called Mafia MetaMafia; it was this really cool game run by this really cool mod. In it, the roles were devotees of scummers who were CHAMPIONS OF DOMAINS of scumhunting.

Let's bring that back! Of the twelve Domains listed below, pick the
two
that you champion.

Austerity
- There are, like, twelve other players in this game. You don't have to do everything, or even particularly much. Once you insert yourself into a discussion, your influence will ripple and distort the social fabric, making it harder to see what's going on as people begin to move to acknowledge and persuade you... so you don't jump in all that often. By watching everyone else play, you can stay outside the discussion and look it over with detached clarity, akin to reading your own game like a replacement. You can place a vote whenever you're ready and then retreat. This gives you a pretty sweet meta for lurking, which literally everyone else hates you for. Your opposite is
Will

Concision
- Your posts are usually short for the sake of impact. There's no good reason for them to be longer most of the time. Your opposite is
Verbosity

Fervor
- Mafia is a game on the Internet. It's frigging hard to rattle people the way you can IRL, so people can maintain poker faces that much more easily. Rattle this, bastards - now there's an L-3 wagon on someone and it's rising fast. By using your charisma to garner the other players' confidence, you can watch people squirm under the pressure and decide whether they live or die. You thrive on being crazy enough to break the social norms that enslave others, and relish the leadership and control you can have over the game, but if you fail, you tend to take the entire game down with you and leave a lot of bitter victims behind. Your opposite is
Patience

Justice
- Sometimes a scumtell is actually indicative of scum. Imagine that! Someone on this entire frigging web site needs to go after the lurkers and liars, because lurking and lying are what scum DO. Similarly, sometimes the easiest explanation is the correct one - that someone who allegedly forgot to use their Doctor ability or why they were pushing Yesterday's wagon on Town is actually scum. If they're not scum but just a garden-variety moron, there's still no reason to complain, because "too scummy to be scum" will burn you every time. You are, of course, not friends with Village Idiots and have a relatively high rate of mislynching them - and you don't care. Your opposite is
Mercy

Mercy
(changed from Logic) - More than anything else, Mafia is a game of understanding people. Not everyone with a given alignment will react the same way under certain circumstances. However, if you truly understand what goes on behind someone's eyeballs, you can figure out when and whether they're acting out of character. In other words, you believe in the supremacy of meta and will shrug off so-called "textbook scummy behavior" in favor of your insights into why people act the way they do. You can proudly point to your successful judgment calls, but when you're wrong, you get burned hard and lose friendships. Your opposite is
Justice

Patience
(changed from Asceticism) - Mafia is a game on the Internet. Nothing about it is going to rattle you or change how you view things. When you see a flashwagon, your instinctive response is to argue against it. When you see a deadline, you're going to want to entertain your thoughts until it arrives - and, in practice, ask for an extension more often than not. Through a level analysis of all the information you can get, you believe you will come to the best conclusions you possibly can. Of course, your foes will groan with every post you make that doesn't hammer someone everyone knows is going to get it. Your opposite is
Fervor

Rigor
(changed from Balance) - Few people know how to play Mafia like they mean it. Each and every post you make has a purpose. That purpose may only be known to you, but every time you say something, you've crafted it so the response is as meaningful as possible. You don't stop to crack jokes and you don't bother to say things outside your aim, nor do you spend much time defending yourself as it risks putting you off-message. As a result, you are generally acknowledged as a competent but impersonal player, but it's easy for people to also think you're intensely pretentious and frustrating to deal with. Your opposite is
Whimsy

Solism
- You don't trust other people. That just seems like really, really good sense in a game where you only know your own alignment. You're fiercely proud and protective of your independence, and strongly resist others' calls for you to do what they want. You are that person who will stand alone on a wagon 24 hours before deadline, because you're not going to compromise yourself (or the game, for that matter) by making what you think is a suboptimal move. This fearsome willingness to stand apart lets you cut through the vagaries of the scum's manipulations, but some may also call you a dumbass who jumps pants-over-head into tunnel vision. Your opposite is
Syncretism

Syncretism
- It doesn't matter how correct you are if you can't work with other people to get your preferred wagon to go through. Finding scum is obviously something you have to do, but your preferred goal is find Town instead, and then organize those Townies into a solid bloc of trust. With sufficient skill in aligning people to your side, a solid Town bloc can crush the scum into suffocation in the most satisfying way available, but the process of creating that bloc leaves you open to the danger of being easily manipulated into the wrong targets - if you can even get that bloc started at all in a group of suspicious others. Your opposite is
Solism

Verbosity
- Simply put, thorough posts are better posts. You have valuable insights to share and anyone who reads them should become aware of exactly what you think and why you think it. Done properly, there should never be any reason to question your motives, as happens often with people who pivot from seemingly nothing into new positions. Similarly, you are absolutely capable of simultaneously interrogating others at length, keeping seamless track of several arguments at once as you pursue everything that might concern you. Very little escapes your notice and you very publicly arrive at conclusions that, right or wrong, are respectable for the thought you put in and judgment you apply. Your primary weakness - which has nothing to do with what you're actually saying - is that some people have a tendency to skip over your posts, if not on principle then once they get in a hurry and notice you're not talking to them. It frustrates you to have to chase people down and tell them to respond to you, and your insistent desire for responses can lead to unproductive personality clashes with people. Your opposite is
Concision

Whimsy
- Mafia is a game, right? Games should be fun, right? You're here for the party! All those pages of side conversations, the snarky remarks that are totally relevant to the game... yeah, those are your fault. Your actual strategy can be just as mercurial, with a willingness to try out gimmicks to see what kinds of reactions you get - plus the general kick you get out of, say, faking a post restriction. You're enjoyable as hell to play with and being weird doesn't hurt your ability to function, but some people - let's call them "imbeciles" - will not be able to process what you're doing, and naturally assume that it's suspicious, so you tend to get scumread for things that strike you as absolutely asinine. Your opposite is
Rigor

Will
- There are very few things that you cannot overcome with enough charisma and desire. Your belief in your ability to influence the game is your strength, and you flex that strength early and often to shape the game state to what you believe it should be. Your tenacity makes you a tough target, as at your best you are rarely in the path of least resistance. However, if rebuffed enough, you can become desperate and unbalanced; in addition, if you do not have a cause to believe in, you may lack the conviction to make any contribution at all, making you a target of opportunity. Your opposite is
Austerity
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:22 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I think I'm rigor + will. I generally have a little leeway for fluff but generally I'm no nonsense.
Last edited by Ranmaru on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Post by Killthestory »

can two people pick one?

I'd choose concision and will if so, if not, concision and solism.

this seems fun !
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

Justice+solism :lol:
deranged and incoherent
?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:41 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 2, Killthestory wrote:can two people pick one?
Sure! Part of the point of the game was that powering the same Domain helps multiple people, whether you want to or not.

Also, this is kinda well-known but I'm
Whimsy
+
Will
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:44 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I'm not really sure I'm at any of those extremes. Like, I acknowledge that the scales exist, I'm just in the middle of most of them. I guess I'm more verbose than average, but…

I guess I'd go for Verbosity + Rigor if I were forced.

By the way, you should have a scale for Honesty (admitting when your reads are bad) against Exaggeration (always claiming your reads are the best and pushing them hard). I'm a long way on the Honesty end of that, and I know there are other people who are well on the Exaggeration end. Additionally, none of the existing domains really seem to reflect it.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:45 pm

Post by mastin2 »

It'd be easier to list the ones I'm not:
Concision, Patience

So for irony's sake, let's say that. :P
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Post by Killthestory »

i shall teach you the art of laziness
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:56 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Spoiler: As shown,
Proving a point wrote:Once you insert yourself into a discussion, your influence will ripple and distort the social fabric, making it harder to see what's going on as people begin to move to acknowledge and persuade you... so you don't jump in all that often. By watching everyone else play, you can stay outside the discussion and look it over with detached clarity, akin to reading your own game like a replacement. This gives you a pretty sweet meta for lurking, which literally everyone else hates you for.

By using your charisma to garner the other players' confidence, you can watch people squirm under the pressure and decide whether they live or die. You thrive on being crazy enough to break the social norms that enslave others, and relish the leadership and control you can have over the game, but if you fail, you tend to take the entire game down with you and leave a lot of bitter victims behind.

Sometimes a scumtell is actually indicative of scum. Someone on this entire frigging web site needs to go after the lurkers and liars, because lurking and lying are what scum DO. Similarly, sometimes the easiest explanation is the correct one - that someone who allegedly forgot to use their Doctor ability or why they were pushing Yesterday's wagon on Town is actually scum. If they're not scum but just a garden-variety moron, there's still no reason to complain, because "too scummy to be scum" will burn you every time. You don't care.

Mafia is a game of understanding people. Not everyone with a given alignment will react the same way under certain circumstances. However, if you truly understand what goes on behind someone's eyeballs, you can figure out when and whether they're acting out of character.

Each and every post you make has a purpose. That purpose may only be known to you, but every time you say something, you've crafted it so the response is as meaningful as possible. You don't spend much time defending yourself as it risks putting you off-message. As a result, it's easy for people to also think you're intensely pretentious and frustrating to deal with.

You're fiercely proud and protective of your independence, and strongly resist others' calls for you to do what they want. You are that person who will stand alone on a wagon 24 hours before deadline, because you're not going to compromise yourself (or the game, for that matter) by making what you think is a suboptimal move. This fearsome willingness to stand apart lets you cut through the vagaries of the scum's manipulations, but some may also call you a dumbass who jumps pants-over-head into tunnel vision.

It doesn't matter how correct you are if you can't work with other people to get your preferred wagon to go through. Finding scum is obviously something you have to do, but your preferred goal is find Town instead, and then organize those Townies into a solid bloc of trust. With sufficient skill in aligning people to your side, a solid Town bloc can crush the scum into suffocation in the most satisfying way available, but the process of creating that bloc leaves you open to the danger of being easily manipulated into the wrong targets - if you can even get that bloc started at all in a group of suspicious others.

Simply put, thorough posts are better posts. You have valuable insights to share and anyone who reads them should become aware of exactly what you think and why you think it. Done properly, there should never be any reason to question your motives, as happens often with people who pivot from seemingly nothing into new positions. Similarly, you are absolutely capable of simultaneously interrogating others at length, keeping seamless track of several arguments at once as you pursue everything that might concern you. Very little escapes your notice and you very publicly arrive at conclusions that, right or wrong, are respectable for the thought you put in and judgment you apply. Your primary weakness - which has nothing to do with what you're actually saying - is that some people have a tendency to skip over your posts, if not on principle then once they get in a hurry and notice you're not talking to them.

Your actual strategy can be just as mercurial, with a willingness to try out gimmicks to see what kinds of reactions you get - plus the general kick you get out of, say, faking a post restriction. Being weird doesn't hurt your ability to function, but some people - let's call them "imbeciles" - will not be able to process what you're doing, and naturally assume that it's suspicious, so you tend to get scumread for things that strike you as absolutely asinine.

There are very few things that you cannot overcome with enough charisma and desire. Your belief in your ability to influence the game is your strength, and you flex that strength early and often to shape the game state to what you believe it should be. Your tenacity makes you a tough target, as at your best you are rarely in the path of least resistance. However, if you do not have a cause to believe in, you may lack the conviction to make any contribution at all, making you a target of opportunity.
All of the above fits, because none of the above contradicts.
(
EDIT:
Though, if I think about it: the ones I deleted the least from were verbosity and will, so if you want a
non
-ironic answer, that would be it.)
My academy.
Agnigi
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:02 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

Oh I thought the idea was roleplay where you intentionally pick extremes to act out rather than trying to be balanced and being whatever describes your pre-existing style best because that would be boring?
deranged and incoherent
?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Post by Vi »

mastin you're the poster child for verbosity

well actually it was vollkan at the time but STILL
By the way, you should have a scale for Honesty (admitting when your reads are bad) against Exaggeration (always claiming your reads are the best and pushing them hard). I'm a long way on the Honesty end of that, and I know there are other people who are well on the Exaggeration end. Additionally, none of the existing domains really seem to reflect it.
o.o
That's actually a super-good idea, although I think exaggeration is definitely the more noticeable one. Plus it would rip Faraday out of Whimsy and leave me and SpyreX behind. :(

also there's a lot more self-reported Will in here than I expected, what's that about, eh
Oh I thought the idea was roleplay where you intentionally pick extremes to act out rather than trying to be balanced and being whatever describes your pre-existing style best because that would be boring?
if your pre-existing style doesn't match extremes then you are not fit to worship as a GOD OF BEING DISTINCTIVELY ANNOYING or whatever
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Another pair of extremes: live in the moment versus read back through the past.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 10, Vi wrote:mastin you're the poster child for verbosity
It's funny, about that.
Originally, circa 2010 I so embraced that image I wanted to exaggerate it. I prided myself in what was objectively an unreadable, annoying mess.
Then circa 2012 I tried actively moving away from that image, trying hard to break it.
But somewhere around 2015 or so, it circled back into acceptance.

At this stage, I just kinda roll with it. I don't play it up, but I also don't deny it.
In post 11, callforjudgement wrote:Another pair of extremes: live in the moment versus read back through the past.
I feel like these are already covered, but that just might be me.
My academy.
Agnigi
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

To be clear: We should be picking what we feel we are at the current time correct? Or is it fine to pick our total opposites to see how we'd play in that way?
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:04 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

I'd say concision and justice.

Unless anyone who has experience with me wants to say different?
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Hmm, when Vi chose these for Troll back in the day Vi chose Austerity and Asceticism (as well as a Lawful Evil alginment, but that be another discussion that could be had.)

Them were reasonable choices, as Troll certainly demonstrates at least as many traits from them as any other. Given that Asceticism no longer be an option Troll might now go with Austerity and Mercy. It no really be all meta all the time for the Mercy, but certainly Troll be a strong believer that scum tells vary widely by players and figuring out the motivations of players be the way to get reads much of the time. Also, Troll be happy to drive some parts of a game if it helps town (activity levels for example, or trying to guide players who seem lost to a more productive state,) but Troll very seldomly pushes a lynch unless it be necessary. Neither trait be a perfect fit, but them be close enough. Verbosity no be out of the question, but it be less important than these other two for how Troll's philosophy of the game be set at this time.

TL;DR: Austerity and Mercy.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:30 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I'm prob Solism and Justice.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:42 pm

Post by kuribo »

Pretty sure I'm Fervor and Will
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Such a great game idea clearly born from the minds of genius only a generation sees.

I'd say it's still fervor and whimsy or justice and whimsy
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Fyi vi i was pretty sure this was what i was gonna see in some form when i opened the thread <3
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

mercy and syncretism

at last some1 might know what I mean when I say "meta". *dreamy sigh*

and yes, mastina you are the poster child for verbosity, its 1 of the things that I have always loved about you!
whew!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:11 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

oh and happy scumday mastina!
whew!
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:16 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Solism/Mercy
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:19 pm

Post by Hoopla »

In post 2, Killthestory wrote:can two people pick one?

I'd choose concision and will if so, if not, concision and solism.

this seems fun !
I think whimsy fits you more than anything.
In post 5, callforjudgement wrote:I'm not really sure I'm at any of those extremes. Like, I acknowledge that the scales exist, I'm just in the middle of most of them. I guess I'm more verbose than average, but…

I guess I'd go for Verbosity + Rigor if I were forced.

Honesty in the strength of one's reads and people who will say ANYTHING to get someone lynched seems like a pretty noticeable dichotomy to me.

I probably used to be the impersonal Rigor type player -- but these days I think I focus mostly on Syncretism/Honesty.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Post by Vampirate »

Out of complete curiosity anyone ever see any one with 2 traits that are polar opposite of each other from this list?
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”