Boonskiies
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
That's Not All, Folks!

Post Post #8475 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:47 am

Post by Boonskiies »

I felt so safe in Nero's pocket. So warm...
"Let it be known that almost everything Boonskiies said is either hilarious or annoying." - Shinobi

Yes, I'm
Flavor Leaf
. That's my main; I just mod on
Boonskiies
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8476 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:49 am

Post by Nero Cain »

^
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #8477 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:20 am

Post by mastina »

In post 8439, Michael22Omega wrote:Holy shit this is town sided af
You say, as the mafia have a near-perfect victory. :P
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8478 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:24 am

Post by Nosferatu »

In post 8411, Vedith wrote:I enjoyed my 12 hours.
I actually did not read a single post of yours im not gonna lie
I just got into thread and voted
BRASIL BRASIL BRASIL BRRRRR
last.fm
gtkas
BTD6_maker
BTD6_maker
Mafia Scum
BTD6_maker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8479 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:26 am

Post by BTD6_maker »

The mod error did affect the game, although it would have probably made it an even more flawless scum victory.

If Boonskiies had killed Zach, they would not suspect Nosferatu if Nosferatu claimed to jail WhyMafia. It's thus likely that Nosferatu would not be shot.

Boonskiies, would you still have shot Nosferatu if Zach died?
"one of these days i'll read you correctly" - Transcend, Micro 714
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #8480 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:27 am

Post by mastina »

In post 8445, Michael22Omega wrote:So let me understand it
There were 16 town and 4 mafia
While the normal numbers are 13 town and 4 mafia for this kind of setups
Where do you get those numbers from?

This was a 20-player game.
The town had five roles (neighbors do not count as a role unless they have an additional PR for balance purposes).
Each of those five roles was gated: the innocent neighbor could only reveal to the neighborhood; the weak vigilante died if shooting scum; the 2-shot vigilante had only two shots; the one-guilty cop shut down if getting a result on mafia; the non-consecutive doctor couldn't protect two nights in a row.

That is entirely normal--if anything it's on the lower side.
The mafia also had two power roles: a gunsmith to both be a pseudo-town-role AND their investigative (to find the vigs and to find the cop, because gunsmiths get a guilty on cops), and a rolestopper to protect against TWO vig shots and offer some protection against the investigatives.

If anything, the MAFIA were the overpowered ones. Not the town.

And, while my last comment was a little tongue-in-cheek, I say so more seriously with this explanation now.
This game wasn't townsided even remotely.
If anything, it was the opposite.
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8481 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:29 am

Post by Nosferatu »

gunsmiths guilty cops?
til
last.fm
gtkas
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8482 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:31 am

Post by Nosferatu »

also ye I give my consent and all
last.fm
gtkas
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8483 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:33 am

Post by Nero Cain »

If the vigs shots were in the right places scum could have technically been down to 1 man day 3. And the cop was not totally weak either. Town
DID
have a shit ton of power.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #8484 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:37 am

Post by Mulch »

Yeah this wasn't scum sided. Mastina how can you say a four town neighborhood is "nothing" for balance purposes?
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #8485 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:38 am

Post by Creature »

Remember that if this happens, town actually deserved that. It's something that's not that easy to happen.
Sigh
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #8486 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:39 am

Post by mastina »

In post 8448, DrumBeats wrote:The vigilantes definitely made it swingy though, which is part of what got us. Agree though that the setup was townsided though.
One vigilante died if targeting scum.
One vigilante could only shoot twice.
Both vigilantes would run afoul of the mafia's rolestopper. (I'd have to double-check the review PT on this to be sure, but I believe this is true.) Unless shooting said rolestopper. And keep in mind, shots would not be refunded and
the death clause would still trigger

Say Boonskiies shot Nero Cain N1.
Say also Nosferatu rolestopped Nero Cain N1.
Boonskiies dies N1, Nero Cain does not die N1.

The 2x vig also does not get their shots back if shooting someone doc/rolestop protected.

The One-Guilty cop could only get a guilty on a single mafiate. Once getting a guilty, they'd be a VT.

The doctor was nonconsecutive. The doctor must
not only
choose to protect the correct player from the scum's nightkill,
but also
do so at a critical time. If they protected the night before, tough luck; they can do nothing to save the town player who claimed. Even if they do save correctly, well then, next night, their protectee is wide open to attack.

The bulk of the town's power came from the pseudo-masonry neighborhood, with the innocent neighbor reveal, in an all-town topic...yet even then, the neighborhood didn't end up helping the town because be it through a legitimate mistake on Boonskiies part or Boonskiies outright lying, he essentially singlehandedly destroyed that neighborhood's integrity. The power of that neighborhood relied on a combination of communication, anonymity, and the reveal, along with good luck and time, allowing players within to realize it was all-town and keeping it from the scum. But because that didn't happen (it
almost
did, but it didn't), the utility was wasted.

And, again.
The scumteam was half-PRs.
The gunsmith could find 3/5 key town power roles.
The rolestopper could shut down those same 3/5 town power roles. (Shut down a guilty, shut down a vig.) And this is easier to do than with a roleblocker, because the rolestopper is a more defensive role with a limited pool of targets. It's easier to guess who the town are going to target than it is to guess what some hypothetical player you don't yet know the role/identity of MIGHT do.

Plus the results do speak for themselves.
The town never once lynched mafia.
And you're telling me you needed
less
help to do so?
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #8487 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:39 am

Post by Mulch »

I mean I know it's dickish to say it's town sided as scum especially as we only lost one member, but I remember thinking like the power roles go on and on
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8488 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:42 am

Post by Nero Cain »

town playing badly=//=scum sided game.

Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8489 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:44 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 8455, Nero Cain wrote:I think my play was p solid. I mean obviously, Mulch was more visable than me wich prob allowed me to be a little low key but I was never a major scumread for anyone.

Dunn and I both had you in our scumpools so did Sling(?)
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8490 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:45 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 8479, BTD6_maker wrote:The mod error did affect the game, although it would have probably made it an even more flawless scum victory.

If Boonskiies had killed Zach, they would not suspect Nosferatu if Nosferatu claimed to jail WhyMafia. It's thus likely that Nosferatu would not be shot.

Boonskiies, would you still have shot Nosferatu if Zach died?

Dunn pushed me cause I should have been dead

If he hadn't we may have lynched moz but that's the best I can think of
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #8491 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:46 am

Post by mastina »

In post 8481, Nosferatu wrote:gunsmiths guilty cops?
til
It's amazing how little players who play Normals actually know about the Normal Guidelines.
Gunsmith wrote:
Normal Guidelines

In Normal games on mafiascum.net, a Gunsmith gets guilties on all Mafia (except Traitors and Doctors),
Cops, Vigilantes, Gunsmiths, Role Cops, Vanilla Cops
, Backups of roles with guns and JoATs that have any of these listed powers.
If you just look at the page for any given role, the interactions between them are pretty well-defined. There's
some
room for ambiguity in some areas (sometimes for the better, allowing for mod interpretation creating interesting setups; sometimes for the worse, creating mod ambiguity allowing for confusion to occur), but for the most part, these things are pretty strongly defined.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #8492 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:49 am

Post by Mulch »

Mastina for example the mafia universe championships (which is the standard for all sites) are 12 town 3 SCUM with NO power roles. We have an even higher town to scum ratio here (5:1 to 4:1) and a shitton of town power roles
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #8493 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:49 am

Post by Antihero »

this setup is definitely not town sided
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #8494 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:51 am

Post by Antihero »

In post 8487, Mulch wrote:I mean I know it's dickish to say it's town sided as scum especially as we only lost one member, but I remember thinking like the power roles go on and on
what you're not mentioning is the amount of power you had. which was A LOT. you had the gunsmith which would quickly find the cop/vigs. and you had full blocking power in the rolestopper.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #8495 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:57 am

Post by mastina »

In post 8484, Mulch wrote:Mastina how can you say a four town neighborhood is "nothing" for balance purposes?
Because neighborhoods, regardless of composition, are net-nulls on balance. They mean nothing. That's a universal balance constant. All moderators design games with neighborhoods as said neighborhoods being net-neutral. That's standard modding practice. They do not assign weight to the neighborhood. They feature the neighborhood for other reasons--to augment other roles in the game (which
does
influence balance), to implement a mechanic, because they wanted to, because they want to put something extra in, because they want to spice the game up with something interesting, and so on and so forth.

But neighborhoods, save outlier cases (an all-scum neighborhood is ridiculously scumsided), have no inherent value to the town, because they are NEIGHBORHOODS. Not MASONRIES. Players are
not
confirmed to each other. You can have any combination of alignments. Some alignments are ridiculous (scum-scum for instance), but there's no combination which is impossible. Scum-town, scum-scum (it exists even if it shouldn't), town-town. And the town has literally no way of knowing what the mods did. Fuck, some moderators create neighborhoods randomly before roles are assigned, meaning that by their inherent nature the neighborhoods
couldn't
hold balance impact on the game because there was no strategy behind their creation, just pure sheer luck.

Any assumption to the contrary, that a neighborhood must be town, that a neighborhood must give the town power, is a player assumption. Not a moderator assumption. And I'm telling you right here and now. I'm pretty sure it's universal to literally every member of the NRG. We treat neighborhoods as net-neutral to balance, aside from outlier cases.

Now, NEIGHBORIZERS, on the other hand...that's an actual role and that has actual balance impact. It's a ridiculously strong scum role and a moderately valuable town role. But that's because they get to choose who they are neighborizing, allowing for scum to manipulate the gamestate far more effectively and allowing town to influence things.

But neighbors, set in stone from the beginning of the game, are not inherently of value. They're neither detrimental nor beneficial. They simply are. Players can make neighborhoods be valuable, by using smart play and making accurate deductions. (Even if said deductions are Right For The Wrong Reasons.) Players can also make neighborhoods be unvaluable, by making bad play and making inaccurate deductions. (Especially if they've been bolstered by past successes which were right for the wrong reasons and think that past experience means they're right again.)
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8496 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:58 am

Post by Nero Cain »

there's not really any guarantee that our gunsmith finds any cop/vig and that our rolestop stops any kill/cop. My GS was basically useless when town claimed so I was a glorified goon.

Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #8497 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:02 am

Post by Antihero »

In post 8496, Nero Cain wrote:there's not really any guarantee that our gunsmith finds any cop/vig and that our rolestop stops any kill/cop. My GS was basically useless when town claimed so I was a glorified goon.
you're judging the utility of your role by how things turned out THIS go round, which is not good. yeah, the utility of your role was to find gun roles (cops/vigs) early on. just bc you didn't find anyone this time doesn't mean your role had no utility.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #8498 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:06 am

Post by mastina »

In post 8487, Mulch wrote:I mean I know it's dickish to say it's town sided as scum especially as we only lost one member, but I remember thinking like the power roles go on and on
You will never find a game with this many players with less town power roles make it through a review. Not in the Normal queue and
especially
not in a Theme game.

Five power roles is on the higher side of a mini normal--but is still within the bounds of said mini normal. You can have five town power roles
in a thirteen player game
. (Admittedly the standard is 3-4, give or take 1, but that places the lower boundary at 2 and the higher boundary at 5.) This game was a twenty-player game. When you have that many players in a game...you can expect there to be a fair amount of reasonably strong town power.

The general rule of thumb for power roles tends to be ~= #scum. At higher levels, this tends to break down a little bit; if you have five scum in a 21-player game, you'll want more than five power roles, but it's still close, and would be ~= #scum+1. There were four scum this game so the absolute minimum number of power roles you were going to see was four. And you ended up with five.

Micros have 2 scum and 2 power roles on average.
Minis have 3 scum and loosely average 3 power roles.
So a game with 4 scum has at least 4 power roles, maybe with an extra.
A game with 5 scum is going to have at least 5 but almost certainly with an extra.
A game with 6 scum is going to have at least 6 but at this point you're probably dealing with a game where it might even be TWO extra.

It's not exactly a linear increase, but you get the idea. If your game is heavier in scum, it will be heavier in town power.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #8499 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:11 am

Post by Mulch »

Yeah but I was counting these neighbors who all basically considered themselves confirmed town to be power roles lol

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”