Open 64 - Vengeful Mafia - (Game Over!!) before 551

Kinetic
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: July 09, 2007
Location: Florida
Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:47 pm

A Quiet Vengence

Somewhere in Alaska,
January 12, 20XX


It was a quiet night in northern Alaska, about the only place in America you could reasonably find a town with as few people as six. Of course, it was the dead of winter and with only one working generator left in the town, the whole town huddled into Mayor Gruden's small loft. Of course, this loft was nothing more than a couple of rooms and a large common area.

As the Mayor was in his study, the other townsfolk had huddled around fireplace, sipping hot chocolate. The all had odd names, but it had since become common place to not use your real name in this small town, so no one really took much noticed. Xtoxm, TheSweatpantsNinja, YvonneSeer, Lloyd, and TheStranger merrily spoke to each other about the complexities of small town life, and where they originally hailed from.

Eventually the jolly Mayor came back into the room and asked them each into his study one at a time, giving them each a small gift, before they all parted back to their rooms for the night.

During the night, the group was awoken by a loud pop that roared through the night. They all rushed to the Mayor's study, but they all arrived too late. Sitting in his chair was the mayor; his pistol still hanging loosely from his mouth.

Beside the body, on the late Mayor's desk lays a note to his final guests.

The Mayor's Final Note wrote:"Dear My Friends,

Please forgive me for what I have done and what I have begun with this night. By now, you will have all found me dead, but I am afraid this night is not over yet. If you all followed my instructions, you have all already put on the watches that I gave all of you as a gift.

I am afraid this gift is not from me, but from another who wishes you all harm. Each watch is loaded with a lethal dose of potassium chloride, and the watches cannot be removed unless one of two conditions are met.

The first condition is if the watch administers its dose of potassium chloride. Of course, this will also result in the death of the user.

The second condition is if you discover the killers among your group and kill them. If you completely eliminate the opposing group, your watch will disengage and you will be allowed to leave.

If you attempt to leave this house while still wearing the watch, you will be killed by the poison. Your only hope is to play this game and win.

Good Luck to all of you."


All Mod instructions and vote counts will be in Blue. Please do not use this color in the thread so it is easy to find my instructions and/or Vote Counts.

You can read more about the Vengeful Set-up here: Vengeful Wiki

Since this is an Open Game, these are the PMs that will be sent out. At this time, PMs have not been sent out nor have roles been randomized, so there is no possible way to read anything from who will receive which role.


Alive
TheSweatpantsNinja
YvonneSeer
Lloyd
TheStranger


Dead
Xtoxm Lynched 2:20 PM February 13, 2008
Last edited by Kinetic on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:09 am, edited 9 times in total.
Large Theme List Mod Emeritus
On hiatus due to Real Life

Kinetic
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: July 09, 2007
Location: Florida
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Rules (stolen from Open 7):
0. This is a game. Have fun. Don't let things get personal.
1. The game will start with Day. Mafia communication is allowed during the Pre-Game.
2. During Day, you may vote for the player you want to lynch. Votes should be in the form Vote: Player or they may not be counted. It is helpful, but not necessary, to "Unvote" when switching your vote to a different player.
3. Whenever a player has reached a majority in votes, that player will be lynched and his role will be revealed.
4. If discussion lags, a deadline may be set. The deadline will be 72 hours, which may be extended an additional 72 hours if half the living players PM the Moderator requesting an extension.
5. Do not talk outside the thread. The Mafia is allowed to communicate during the Pre-Game only.
6. If you're dead, you're dead. Do not talk until the game is over; this includes talking to living players outside the thread.
7. Although there is technically no night phase, talking is forbidden once a lynch has been reached, until Day 2 is officially started.
8. If you have any question, complaint, or comment, PM the Moderator.

Special Rules:
This is a game of Vengeful Mafia.


* The mafia can't kill at all. There is essentially no Night phase.
* If the godfather is lynched at any point, the town immediately wins. (This is the only special quality of the godfather.)
* If, on Day 1 only, one of the townies is lynched, this townie immediately gets to make a vigilante kill.
* The town does not automatically win by having the godfather vig killed in this way.
* Mafia wins when there are at least as many mafia as townies, and the town doesn't have a vig kill to use.

Roles:

1 Godfather will receive:

You are the Godfather with XXXXXXXX as your Goon. If you are lynched the mafia automatically lose and you kill your goon. If you are killed by a townie with a Death Wish Kill, the game will continue and the mafia will not automatically lose.

Unlike in normal games, you do not get to submit nightkills and you may only communicate with eachother during the pre-game. You win when you have eliminated the town, or when nothing can prevent this.


1 Goon will receive:

You are the Goon with XXXXXXXX as your Godfather. If the Godfather is lynched the mafia automatically lose and you be killed by the Godfather. If the Godfather is killed by a townie with a Death Wish Kill, the game will continue and the mafia will not automatically lose.

Unlike in normal games, you do not get to submit nightkills and you may only communicate with eachother during the pre-game. You win when you have eliminated the town, or when nothing can prevent this.


3 Townies will receive:

You are a Townie. You have no special abilities while alive.

If you are lynched on the first day, you may use the town's Death Wish Kill to kill one person still alive.

You win when the mafia has been eliminated or when the Mafia Godfather has been lynched.
Large Theme List Mod Emeritus
On hiatus due to Real Life

Kinetic
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: July 09, 2007
Location: Florida
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:47 pm

At this time Role PMs are being sent out. The Mafia may speak by PM until everyone confirms to me by PM.
Large Theme List Mod Emeritus
On hiatus due to Real Life

Kinetic
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: July 09, 2007
Location: Florida
Pronoun: He

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:57 pm

All Confirmations in. The mafia can no longer talk. Let the games begin.
Large Theme List Mod Emeritus
On hiatus due to Real Life

Xtoxm
EBWOXM
 
User avatar
Joined: November 30, 2007
Pronoun: He

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Hey all!
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm if you've pocketed me again my heart will turn to ash. - CheekyTeeky
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin

YvonneSeer
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: July 27, 2007
Pronoun: She

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:43 am

Oh, hello! Are you scum?
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Xtoxm
EBWOXM
 
User avatar
Joined: November 30, 2007
Pronoun: He

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:22 am

YvonneSeer wrote:Oh, hello! Are you scum?


Yeh :wink:

TheSweatpantsNinja
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 15, 2007
Pronoun: He

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:11 pm

OMG kill the scum.

TheStranger
Goon
 
Joined: October 09, 2007

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Let's remember to make decent cases in this game, considering that person you're lynching will be able to vig you if you're wrong. Of course this will likely prove challenging in such a short game. An early deadline could easily hand this game to scum, and I will personally go after lurkers if necessary.


That said,

Random vote: Xtoxm

I don't think we need to worry about quicklynches, since scum will be quickly recognized and counter-vig'd. I am worried about semiquicklynches, if a townie should lynch too quickly and get counter-vig'd solely on principle. I think it's important player's give something like a 2 post warning before hammering, at least on day 1.
He stated that I had no place in a society whose most fundamental rules I ignored and that I could not appeal to the same human heart whose elementary response I knew nothing of

Xtoxm
EBWOXM
 
User avatar
Joined: November 30, 2007
Pronoun: He

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:03 pm

Good point vote xtoxm
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm if you've pocketed me again my heart will turn to ash. - CheekyTeeky
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin

YvonneSeer
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: July 27, 2007
Pronoun: She

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:28 pm

Ah, putting yourself at L-1. A classic townie move.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Xtoxm
EBWOXM
 
User avatar
Joined: November 30, 2007
Pronoun: He

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:06 pm

YvonneSeer wrote:Ah, putting yourself at L-1. A classic townie move.


What?

Lloyd
Vote Lloyd
 
Joined: December 18, 2005

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:27 pm

[dice]1d5 = 1842121092 [/dice]

Lloyd
Vote Lloyd
 
Joined: December 18, 2005

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:51 am

At first, I was going to vote randomly based on my dice roll. Then, I decided to write up my analysis instead:

Possible pairings:

a) Xtoxm and TheSweatpantsNinja
Inconclusive thus far, TheSweatpantsNinja hasn't posted much

b) Xtoxm and YvonneSeer
Banter seems overly friendly

c) Xtoxm and TheStranger
Both voted early

d) TheSweatpantsNinja and YvonneSeer
Inconclusive thus far

e) TheSweatpantsNinja and TheStranger
Inconclusive thus far

f) YvonneSeer and TheStranger
No direct interaction thus far

My current suspicion list, in order of most to least:
1) TheSweatpantsNinja - Hasn't posted much
2) YvonneSeer - Chiming in to move the dialog, and her most recent post seems interesting
3) Xtoxm - Chiming in to move the dialog as well, and the self vote seems interesting
4) TheStranger - Provided the most analysis thus far

FOS: TheSweatpantsNinja - I'd like to hear more from him

TheSweatpantsNinja
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 15, 2007
Pronoun: He

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:26 am

Gee, I posted 13 hours before you said you'd like to hear more from me. Harsh crowd this is.

Um, I don't particularly understand xtoxm's self vote. In fact, I don't like it. At all. Scum could very easily hammer, and even if the vengeful kill was on scum, we would still be left with one scum, two townies, and no clues whatsoever. So FOS: xtoxm . Possibly he just didn't think through that maneuver, or possibly he's scum.

YvonneSeer
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: July 27, 2007
Pronoun: She

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:27 am

Xtoxm wrote:
YvonneSeer wrote:Ah, putting yourself at L-1. A classic townie move.


What?


Sarcasm aside, explain your reason for a self-vote and why you think it's a pro-town move.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Kinetic
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: July 09, 2007
Location: Florida
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:07 pm

Vengence Vote Count:

2 - Xtoxm (TheStranger, Xtoxm)

It is
3 votes to lynch.
No Deadline is currently imposed.
Large Theme List Mod Emeritus
On hiatus due to Real Life

TheStranger
Goon
 
Joined: October 09, 2007

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:19 pm

TheSweatpantsNinja wrote:Um, I don't particularly understand xtoxm's self vote. In fact, I don't like it. At all. Scum could very easily hammer, and even if the vengeful kill was on scum, we would still be left with one scum, two townies, and no clues whatsoever. So FOS: xtoxm . Possibly he just didn't think through that maneuver, or possibly he's scum.


I disagree that we're in a particularly worse situation with 2 townies and 1 scum as opposed to 3 townies and 2 scum, but if you think that's such a viable anti-town strategy, why have you openly posted it? And why haven't you demanded Xtoxm unvote? It seems like you're really jumping to the conclusion he's scum.

You basically suspect him of being scum because he did something which would benefit scum, but only if he, himself, was town.

Am I suspect too for not unvoting?
He stated that I had no place in a society whose most fundamental rules I ignored and that I could not appeal to the same human heart whose elementary response I knew nothing of

Xtoxm
EBWOXM
 
User avatar
Joined: November 30, 2007
Pronoun: He

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:53 pm

Interesting...Now everyone has responded, as you may have guessed, that was to gauge reactions. I quite liked TheStranger's response.

The SweatPantsNinja, however:

Gee, I posted 13 hours before you said you'd like to hear more from me. Harsh crowd this is.

Um, I don't particularly understand xtoxm's self vote. In fact, I don't like it. At all. Scum could very easily hammer, and even if the vengeful kill was on scum, we would still be left with one scum, two townies, and no clues whatsoever. So FOS: xtoxm . Possibly he just didn't think through that maneuver, or possibly he's scum.


Oh, the maneuver was thought through ;)

You sound like scum not sure whether to hammer me.

Unvote, vote TheSweatpantsNinja

Don't like Lloyd's analysis. Hints at a pairing with me and Yvonne, then FOS's someone else for not posting yet.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm if you've pocketed me again my heart will turn to ash. - CheekyTeeky
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin

TheSweatpantsNinja
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 15, 2007
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:42 pm

thestranger wrote: I disagree that we're in a particularly worse situation with 2 townies and 1 scum as opposed to 3 townies and 2 scum. . .

We aren't, but our chances of winning go up significantly if we lynch scum today. So if xtoxm is indeed a townie as he claims, risking that lynch puts us in a worse position than it would have otherwise.

but if you think that's such a viable anti-town strategy, why have you openly posted it? And why haven't you demanded Xtoxm unvote? It seems like you're really jumping to the conclusion he's scum.
These are questions generated specifically to make me look bad. The scum are, presumably, not stupid. If you and xtox aren't the two scum, then I guarantee they didn't need me to tell them that they can quicklynch right now. And demand he unvote? He doesn't have to listen. I've made it clear I think its a bad idea, and he can do what he wants to from there. As for "jumping to the conclusion he's scum", wouldn't I have lynched him if I had jumped to that conclusion? I even said in my post "possibly he didn't think it through, because I think that's a distinct possibility.

You basically suspect him of being scum because he did something which would benefit scum, but only if he, himself, was town.

Sort of like calling me out for posting an anti-town strategy that if I was scum and really believed was anti-town, I'd have used it myself.

Am I suspect too for not unvoting?


No. But I do suspect you. Vote: TheStranger.

PS: Xtoxm, if I were scum, I would have hammered. I do agree that I don't terribly like lloyd's analysis, but I think he might have been just trying to jumpstart the game.

TheStranger
Goon
 
Joined: October 09, 2007

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:20 pm

TheSweatpantsNinja wrote:
thestranger wrote: I disagree that we're in a particularly worse situation with 2 townies and 1 scum as opposed to 3 townies and 2 scum. . .

We aren't, but our chances of winning go up significantly if we lynch scum today. So if xtoxm is indeed a townie as he claims, risking that lynch puts us in a worse position than it would have otherwise.

Only if you assume the town could lynch scum otherwise.

but if you think that's such a viable anti-town strategy, why have you openly posted it? And why haven't you demanded Xtoxm unvote? It seems like you're really jumping to the conclusion he's scum.
These are questions generated specifically to make me look bad.

I would think a townie would expect such questions, since they're pretty much the only way to find scum. How are my questions "specifically to make you look bad" any different from questions to try to find scum?

The scum are, presumably, not stupid. If you and xtox aren't the two scum, then I guarantee they didn't need me to tell them that they can quicklynch right now.

No, but you've personally endorsed quicklynching as a scum strategy. You've explained exactly why they should do it too. And since it's a suicide tactic anyway, you pointing it out doesn't reduce it's effectiveness at all.

And demand he unvote? He doesn't have to listen.

So we should never try to convince another player to do something since they don't have to listen? Even IF he doesn't listen, you can threaten to vote or hammer him if he won't unvote. You've stated your opinion, but you aren't backing it up with any action

I've made it clear I think its a bad idea, and he can do what he wants to from there.

That's very passive approach.

As for "jumping to the conclusion he's scum", wouldn't I have lynched him if I had jumped to that conclusion? I even said in my post "possibly he didn't think it through, because I think that's a distinct possibility.


Your words say "maybe town" but your actions say "maybe scum." Throwing in "but maybe he's town anyway" doesn't change the fact that he's now one of your top two suspects, less than a page into the game


You basically suspect him of being scum because he did something which would benefit scum, but only if he, himself, was town.

Sort of like calling me out for posting an anti-town strategy that if I was scum and really believed was anti-town, I'd have used it myself.

So you're not scum because you did what scum wouldn't do? Sounds like basic Wifom to me.
He stated that I had no place in a society whose most fundamental rules I ignored and that I could not appeal to the same human heart whose elementary response I knew nothing of

TheSweatpantsNinja
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 15, 2007
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:53 pm

TheStranger wrote: Only if you assume the town could lynch scum otherwise.

I suggest you all look at the numbers on the wiki. It is not in our interest to lynch town today. Its not in our interest to lynch town at all.

I would think a townie would expect such questions, since they're pretty much the only way to find scum. How are my questions "specifically to make you look bad" any different from questions to try to find scum?

You should, I think, recall Newbie 470, in which you said something along the lines of "TSPN makes good arguments with good logic," but then you voted for me anyway, because the evidence was against me. The reason I sounded good is because I was out to score points. I didn't need to convince myself that DLS was scum. You don't sound like you need to convince yourself that I'm scum. You sound like you're out to score points, and that's what I meant. The semantics of whether or not I out-and-out stated that I wanted xtox to unvote himself are not terribly relevant.

No, but you've personally endorsed quicklynching as a scum strategy. You've explained exactly why they should do it too. And since it's a suicide tactic anyway, you pointing it out doesn't reduce it's effectiveness at all.

Never claimed it did. But I'll poll the rest of the class: Was anyone unaware that they could hammer when xtoxm was at L-1?

Your words say "maybe town" but your actions say "maybe scum." Throwing in "but maybe he's town anyway" doesn't change the fact that he's now one of your top two suspects, less than a page into the game.

What actions are those, exactly? An FOS? A suggestion that he might be making a mistake? And second out of four isn't exactly the same as second out of eleven.

So you're not scum because you did what scum wouldn't do? Sounds like basic Wifom to me.

Oh, of course. I might be scum that doesn't actually think quicklynching is the right play. I might be scum hoping that my partner would quicklynch, be vigged, and then I would look rosy on Day 2. Its certainly possible. But my point wasn't that me not hammering makes me town, its that you called me out for suspecting xtoxm of "being scum because he did something which would benefit scum, but only if he, himself, was town" when that is precisely your case against me.

Lloyd
Vote Lloyd
 
Joined: December 18, 2005

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:35 pm

TheSweatpantsNinja,

Responding to TheStranger's point that you used basic Wifom, with another Wifom posting, seems scummy. My earlier FOS at you remains.

I don't understand your metagaming references to game 470 between you and TheStranger.

TheStranger
Goon
 
Joined: October 09, 2007

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:42 pm

TheSweatpantsNinja wrote:
Oh, of course. I might be scum that doesn't actually think quicklynching is the right play. I might be scum hoping that my partner would quicklynch, be vigged, and then I would look rosy on Day 2. Its certainly possible. But my point wasn't that me not hammering makes me town, its that you called me out for suspecting xtoxm of "being scum because he did something which would benefit scum, but only if he, himself, was town" when that is precisely your case against me.


So you admit that based on your standards, you should be suspected as much as Xtoxm, since you've made a similar mistake to his? Don't you think it's fair for a player to be held to his own standards? Whether or not I actually suspect you for it is irrelevant.
He stated that I had no place in a society whose most fundamental rules I ignored and that I could not appeal to the same human heart whose elementary response I knew nothing of

TheSweatpantsNinja
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 15, 2007
Pronoun: He

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:25 am

Obviously, I disagree on what I did being a mistake, because, I repeat, its only a mistake if the scum are fools. In which case I'd be town anyway, and I'll remind you I never voted for xtoxm. The largest reason I think he's scum is that I would have anticipated the scum hammering because that's what I would have done. WIFOM, I know, but still true.

Again, to the members of the jury: TheStranger is playing semantics games. He is entirely too certain, based on one post (my second post of the game, on Page One), that I'm scum, and he's not really scumhunting, he's interested in scoring points.

Oh, and Lloyd, Newbie 470, I was scum and he was town. I was trying to get the one player who could be scum if I wasn't lynched because that was my only way out, and I didn't really care what she said, because there was no way I could be convinced. TheStranger doesn't really care what I'm saying, he just wants me lynched.

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Mini Normal Games