Math and Logic Puzzles: Redux

This forum is for playing games other than Mafia and Mafia variants.
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
compulsive complex Inventor
biancospino
he/she
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:29 am

Post by biancospino »

Spoiler:
Thou you were actually on the right path. Proving that you were is the difficult part of course
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:46 am

Post by implosion »

Spoiler:
So then at each step, pick a neck to chop from that is at the highest level from the root possible, and among such heads, choose one that has the highest number of sibling heads (heads that extend from the same immediate root as it). Chopping a head at level l with s siblings will always reduce the number of s-sibling l-level roots by 1 because the replication can make (s-1)-sibling l-level roots by copying that part of the tree, but can't make anything else at level l or higher because the replication signal goes downward. Eventually all s-sibling l-level roots will be gone, and next are all the (still finitely many) (s-1)-sibling l-level roots, and so on until everything at level l is gone, etc. At each step more future work will appear but nothing that's already been dealt with can spring up again. You can't put an a priori bound on how long it'll take unless you can put an a priori bound on how many times a tree might replicate (which you don't need to do), but every step is guaranteed to make forward progress at its given (s, l) ordered pair, there are only ever finitely many such ordered pairs to deal with (because each replication is finite), and so each such ordered pair will take finite time to deal with.

In fact I
think
this can be turned into an even stronger conjecture, which is that actually
any
order that HyperErcules cuts the heads will eventually kill the hydra, even if he tries not to.The argument would be similar, that making a cut anywhere makes progress on that (s, l) subproblem, meaning that
eventually
you'll solve the (s, l) subproblem and everything below it, which will force you to make a cut at a higher (s, l) subproblem and make progress there. So eventually you'll have to make "actual" progress by cutting at the highest level problem.
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:49 pm

Post by biancospino »

Spoiler:
That is actually not correct since this may happen:
radix->W->X -> Y,Z; each of Y,Z attached to 3 heads
Cutting one of those heads, say above Y, will indeed not allow X to sprout any new (3,4)-heads; however when the signal travels X->W, it will cause W to copy the whole subtree with radix W, which includes Z->(3 heads); and each replication will so produce three new (3,4)-heads

Spoiler:
however, this strategy does indeed work. Your even stronger conjecture is also correct!
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:52 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

I'm kinda confused tbh because from the clarification it seemed as though this was a version in which the answer was rather trivially that you can't always kill the hydra rather than the usual hydras in which the answer was what implosion said and the intended solution
uses ordinals
. And that seemed weird because I wasn't sure who the intended audience could possibly be. People who already knew enough to know how and why the hydra would normally get slain but who would get tripped up by a trivial version in which none of that applied?? But then if invisibility was on the right track I assume the answer is the usual expected thing, in which case I think I still don't understand the regeneration rule for this one

pedit: started making this post before the previous one was made so it doesn't take that post into account
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:56 pm

Post by biancospino »

In post 278, DeathRowKitty wrote: I'm kinda confused tbh because from the clarification it seemed as though this was a version in which the answer was rather trivially that you can't always kill the hydra rather than the usual hydras in which the answer was what implosion said and the intended solution
uses ordinals
. And that seemed weird because I wasn't sure who the intended audience could possibly be. People who already knew enough to know how and why the hydra would normally get slain but who would get tripped up by a trivial version in which none of that applied?? But then if invisibility was on the right track I assume the answer is the usual expected thing, in which case I think I still don't understand the regeneration rule for this one

pedit: started making this post before the previous one was made so it doesn't take that post into account
Frankly it's plausible that we're thinking of the same replication rule and I'm just dogshit at explaining it
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:11 pm

Post by biancospino »

I've made a picture on a piece of paper, maybe it's more clear. Necks marked with a ~ are new necks, the downward arrow marks the signal, the cross marks the cut neck

DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:29 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

In post 279, biancospino wrote:
In post 278, DeathRowKitty wrote: I'm kinda confused tbh because from the clarification it seemed as though this was a version in which the answer was rather trivially that you can't always kill the hydra rather than the usual hydras in which the answer was what implosion said and the intended solution
uses ordinals

Frankly it's plausible that we're thinking of the same replication rule and I'm just dogshit at explaining it
Now that I've seen your diagram and looked back at what you said previously, it seems that actually I just can't read perfectly clear explanations. Oops! Thanks for the clarification
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:26 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

Here come the sudoku puzzles again, and this one should be easy:

STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:32 am

Post by biancospino »

Spoiler:

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:04 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 283, biancospino wrote:
Spoiler:

That is correct :D

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:57 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

Another one that should be easy:

Yes, the middle row, column, and region are all supposed to be empty :P

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:44 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

Or, if you prefer a different kind of puzzle, have a cryptoquote to solve:

AQUM ITW PMTOJ JN FM AQXMK, TOK ZVYQNWQJG PVWJ FM CMBJ TAQXM. NOM PVWJ OMXMY, UNY ISTJMXMY YMTWNO, JVYO SQW FTZC NO AQUM. —MAMTONY YNNWMXMAJ

Aisa
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her, they/them

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Sun May 21, 2023 10:57 am

Post by Aisa »

Spoiler: sudoku

I will continue to edit this until either I finish it or I get home

I got home first. Maybe I will finish this tomorrow. Maybe it will be incomplete forever.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Sun May 21, 2023 11:30 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 287, Aisa wrote:
Spoiler: sudoku

I will continue to edit this until either I finish it or I get home

I got home first. Maybe I will finish this tomorrow. Maybe it will be incomplete forever.
Spoiler:
What you have so far is correct. Keep going :)

Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:27 am

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 286, StrangerCoug wrote: Or, if you prefer a different kind of puzzle, have a cryptoquote to solve:

AQUM ITW PMTOJ JN FM AQXMK, TOK ZVYQNWQJG PVWJ FM CMBJ TAQXM. NOM PVWJ OMXMY, UNY ISTJMXMY YMTWNO, JVYO SQW FTZC NO AQUM. —MAMTONY YNNWMXMAJ
Spoiler:
Life was meant to be lived, and curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life. -Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't know much about cryptogram techniques, but with this one I guessed that "JN FM" was "TO BE", then saw that would make the author's name "E_E..." which immediately broke the whole thing open.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:16 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 289, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 286, StrangerCoug wrote: Or, if you prefer a different kind of puzzle, have a cryptoquote to solve:

Spoiler:
Life was meant to be lived, and curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life. -Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't know much about cryptogram techniques, but with this one I guessed that "JN FM" was "TO BE", then saw that would make the author's name "E_E..." which immediately broke the whole thing open.
That is correct :D

Charles510
Charles510
he
Goon
Charles510
he
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:22 am

Post by Charles510 »

When Peter and Bill ran a 100-meter race, Peter won by five meters. To give Bill a chance to win, they raced again, but this time Peter started five meters behind the starting line.

Each man ran the race at the same speed as in the first race.

What were the results of the second race?
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:30 am

Post by biancospino »

Peter won.

Bill's speed is 95/100 of that of Peter; so by the time Peter runs 105 meters, Bill runs
105*95/100<100 meters
(since 105/100<100/95).

For the race to be fair, Peter would need to accept an handicap of
(100/95*100m)-100m ~ 5.26m
(Or let Bill start 5m past the line)
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:59 am

Post by Who »

A puzzle which everyone here has probably already seen the base version of, but which has many variants which some people may not have seen:
There are 100 mathematicians in a prison. There's a room in the prison with a light switch, which starts switched off. Every day (They all have calendars and know what day it is) the warden chooses a (not necessarily new) mathematician uniformly at random and takes them into the room, and the mathematician sees the state of the light and may switch it, then they are returned to their room. Nobody other than the mathematicians can touch the light switch. If at any point, a mathematician correctly says "Every prisoner has been in this room at least once", they are all set free. If the mathematician is incorrect, they're all killed (So make sure that the probability of making a wrong declaration is exactly 0). In advance they're all allowed to agree on a strategy, give a strategy which will set them free. (Only important thing is that they end up free eventually with probability 1, how long it takes doesn't matter)

Variants (If you haven't solved the base variant don't look at them because they contain clues as to how to do it):
Spoiler: Easy variant
They have no information at all about what day it is the only information is how many times they've been to the room and what the state of the light has been each time), AND the starting state of the light is not known

Spoiler: More challenging variants

(All of these are separate)
The mathematicians now have families they want to get back to and want to minimize the amount of time they spend in prison. Find a solution which gets them out quickly on average/very probably. Also the same problem but N prisoners instead of 100, though I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes to the solution.

As soon as a prisoner correctly declares that everyone has been in the room, that prisoner (and only that prisoner) is set free. Taken out of the pool of prisoners who might visit the room in the future. Find a way to free everyone.

The warden cheats: If a prisoner exits the room with the light on he switches it off with some fixed probability p. The warden never switches an off light on. Also they can't count days like in the easy variant.

They can't count days like in the easy variant AND the mathematicians are all identical robots who must execute identical programs. The robots do have access to random number generators.

Same as the last one but instead of being taken at random the warden decides adversarially at the beginning which order to take them in, but this order must have each one must visit infinitely many times, and also the robots no longer have access to random number generators. I'm pretty sure this is impossible but can't prove it. (All the other variants are definitely possible)
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:12 pm

Post by tris »

Spoiler:
assign a schedule of mathematicians, so they each get a day in each period of 100 days. if the mathematician enters the room on their day, they turn the light on. and the next one turns it off.
eventually
someone will have been after every other mathematician on their day. its going to take fucking forever tho
here's what it says
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:12 pm

Post by tris »

probably much more efficient ways of doing that
here's what it says
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:14 pm

Post by Who »

In post 294, tris wrote:
Spoiler:
assign a schedule of mathematicians, so they each get a day in each period of 100 days. if the mathematician enters the room on their day, they turn the light on. and the next one turns it off.
eventually
someone will have been after every other mathematician on their day. its going to take fucking forever tho
That works. I think it's the slowest strategy I know of, but speed was only required in one variant so it is 100% valid in the base variant. Testing it once it took about 3 million days, which is about 8,000 years. Testing it 100 times and taking an average is rather slow, but still seems to take on average around 3 million, but it seems to have a pretty high variability and I'd need more tests to be certain. I'm too lazy to calculate/estimate the expected value of number of days it will take by hand. There's a relatively simple modification you can make to make it take around 80,000-100,000 days, or about
30 years
(Edit: Missed a 0, it's actually 300 years), but even with the speedup it takes more than 1,000,000 days reasonably frequently. Even with the speedup it's still the slowest strategy I know of. (Not counting anything which is intentionally slow)

Since that was the first strategy you came up with the "easy" variant might not be so easy, I labelled it as "easy" expecting most people to come up with a different strategy first.
Last edited by Who on Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:48 pm

Post by tris »

hehe
here's what it says
WeabooBob455
WeabooBob455
Townie
WeabooBob455
Townie
Townie

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:26 am

Post by WeabooBob455 »

In post 295, tris wrote: probably much more efficient ways of doing that
Yes, there are. But this one is efficient, even if it's slow.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:54 pm

Post by tris »

Spoiler: easy variant
one person turns on the light every time they enter a dark room. everyone else turns off the light if it's on two times and then leaves it alone. once the one who turns on has seen the light go off 199 times, they know everyone has been in the room.
here's what it says

Return to “The Whole Sort of General Mish Mash”