Jury Voting Philosophies

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Jury Voting Philosophies

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Post by PrivateI »

So, Survivor: Ghost Island aside, it seems like MS historically has more divisive Tribal Councils than the show does. For example, having a zero vote finalist is relatively rare on MS, while it's almost a standard on Survivor.

If you agree with the above, why do you think that is? My initial thought is that there's more pressure on jurors on the show to be "right", and that, conversely, on MS, there's almost no true "accountability" for jury votes. What do you think?
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Post by hiplop »

i think there is less stakes to who ends up ultimately winning. you're not crowning a new millionaire, you're not spending 39 days starving and having this massive transformative experience. People who are on survivor 99% of the time its the biggest, craziest, most memorable moment of their life. There is gravitas there.

Online there are outside factors like "meta", complete apathy to who wins and way more votes that come from a lack of stakes. It doesn't matter who wins, and that makes some people not take their vote very seriously.
third best scummer of all time
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:10 am

Post by BROseidon »

I would say 2 things:

1) Lack of pressure to be right is pretty big. Closer votes were more common pre-Samoa. Votes have certainly felt less personal in the post-Samoa/HvV world.

2) Jury hiveminding is a lot more extreme in IRL Ponderosa than ours, for w/e reason. Combined with the urge to be "right," everyone has a sense of what games were played and can bias towards that very hard.
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:56 am

Post by Aronis »

Tbh I don't really make the jury so it's pretty hard for me to have a philosophy about it
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:41 am

Post by Skelda »

I agree with BRO. In actual Survivor, there's a hivemind effect on Ponderosa usually, though of course you can have split votes like we saw last season. I think on MS some people try to rebel against the dominant narrative more often whereas on the show they feed into it.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

The lack of prize is a big part of it; on the show ultimately the jurors are answering "Who do you think deserves a million dollars?" whereas here we're answering "Who deserves to win the game?" And we have an incredibly wide range of attitudes here about what The Game actually is. Some jurors here are all about social play while others are more willing to reward strategically sound moves that backstabbed them.
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:01 pm

Post by xofelf »

I think here on MS we have some people who will vote certain ways because they don't want a specific person to win, rather than just who they vote for to win. And I don't think that's nearly so common on the show? I don't really see show people using their jury votes to punish gameplay styles or people they don't like, like some people have on MS.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:17 am

Post by BROseidon »

Gabon would like a word!
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:18 am

Post by BROseidon »

But yes MS is much more into spite-voting than the actual show is. The last purely spite-driven winner was, like... Sophie?
Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:25 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

My idea of how to vote is to open the voting thread and type up a name of one of the finalists
Show
Do I REALLY suck? That's up to you to decide.

Retiring from LSG's and Mish Mash, for the most part. If you want to contact me, I suggest going outside and enjoying what the world has to offer, instead.

Definitely DID suck, in the end...Probably.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:40 am

Post by Shadoweh »

In post 6, xofelf wrote:I think here on MS we have some people who will vote certain ways because they don't want a specific person to win, rather than just who they vote for to win. And I don't think that's nearly so common on the show? I don't really see show people using their jury votes to punish gameplay styles or people they don't like, like some people have on MS.
WEll, yeah. There are returnee seasons but most people in Survivor don't expect to play again, while some of us have played 20 times? :P
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:41 am

Post by McMenno »

you have only played 12 times though
mafiascum is on life support
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:23 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

as someone who hasnt seen the show and has never gotten to the jury stage of a game of survivor i have absolutely no idea
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Post by Drench »

In post 8, BROseidon wrote:But yes MS is much more into spite-voting than the actual show is. The last purely spite-driven winner was, like... Sophie?
<33333 sophiesus legend
join your union
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 am

Post by Klick »

Vote who you want tbh
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:34 am

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 14, Klick wrote:Vote who you want tbh
Pretty much agree with this. Everyone has different parameters to who they vote. And there is never a wrong way to vote.

Your right as a jury member is to vote the person you feel is most deserving to win, regardless of what anyone else thinks. No one else is you, with your perspective, and what you deem "Deserving" to win.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:51 am

Post by Cephrir »

I might argue for one exception to that, which is vote sincerely. If you know who youd like to see win, just vote for them, and don't pity vote or try to pick second place. It would be really shitty for someone with majority jury support to lose because you felt like being a snot.

Other than that, deciding who to put on the jury and playing a game that matches their assessment of what the jury wants is the players' job, and don't let anyone tell you different.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Post by Skelda »

The only situation where I'm kind of okay with people strategically voting is when the person they want to vote for is obviously losing and they have a strong preference between the other two options. But even then I wouldn't do it personally, and if you go to the end with someone I want to vote for over you, then you don't deserve my vote. And often people get into their own heads and don't realize how much support their first choice has.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Post by Awoo »

Honestly 3-man endgames are just bad because of that and I don't really get why they're so popular
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:36 am

Post by Cephrir »

I basically agree with both of the above!

I think the reason F3s are popular is because it can result in "better" winners and the F3 tribal is very weird and kind of disincentivizes people from playing well
The solution might be voting reform for ftc
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:28 am

Post by Fluminator »

I used to be a passionate F2 supporter, but now after seeing games play out in both, I see the argument for F3 and think both are good.
As Cephrir pointed out the final 3 vote encourages people to not play well or more under the radar. It's just the strongest player remaining getting voted out, usually making for a more lackluster FTC. Very rarely do previous alliances play a part in the F3 vote.

There's the argument that with a F3 FTC, the obvious threat vote gets pushed back to F4 which is kind of true, but there remains much more room to maneuver. And it's usually much more unlikely for a goat situation to pop up where there is one obvious winner. It also makes FTC much more interesting if you're arguing against two opponents and taking into account vote splits and such imo.
Basically, FTC are usually more interesting with a final 3, and it doesn't sacrifice anything super interesting gameplay wise.

The current actual survivor twist where there's now no vote at F4 is getting a little much, and it wasn't necessary to remove the F4 vote. The whole nitty gritty endgame is now essentially squashed - even ignoring the fact that the F5 is essentially "whoever doesn't have an idol is going home".
Spoiler: slight winner spoilers
11 of the last 12 winners had hidden immunity idols or equivalents, most of them needing it or challenge immunity to survive
People in large alliance no longer need to worry about their position in it because odds are it won't ever need to pick down on it.

I always thought the firemaking challenge should be done at F3 instead of F4. That way you still get the adrenaline of seeing the cast dwindle to two, but it's probably the more passionate players that make it through.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:08 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

Either way I think this is why the perfect jury starting point is at F11 since that works for both an F2 and an F3.

Would it be problematic if the FIC wasn't specifically called out as being the FIC in an F3 setup?
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:26 am

Post by Klick »

There was a thread on F2 vs F3 a couple of years back, it had some nice discussion
viewtopic.php?f=120&t=74911

For a long time I've favored F2s, largely because it's a more natural conclusion to the game - why stop voting a round before you can? It also creates a more proper balance between pre-FTC and post-FTC imo - everything that happens before FTC shouldn't only give you a 33% chance of winning (I know that's simplistic, but still).

I don't think F3s discourage playing 'well', though. They just require playing differently. I think F3 Survivor is a different game than F2 Survivor in a sense.

PEdit: I mean as long as you didn't outright mislead the players and just left it ambiguous I don't see why not. I also don't really see
why
though.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:49 am

Post by Fluminator »

I still like the idea of a 20 player game with a final 19. Everyone has to pander to the one person who got voted out.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Post by Awoo »

Whoever said that F3 survivor and F2 survivor are different games hit the nail on the head.

The win condition in F3 survivor is to be the strongest person in F3.
The win condition in F2 survivor is to not be the strongest person in F3.(Obviously assuming that you don't win immunity, because I never win any immunities so thats my personal model)

As a weaker player, I do prefer playing F2 ;)

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”