Survivormeet III (8/9-8/13) IT'S OVER!

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

oooo very yes to 7 Wonders.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:16 am

Post by PrivateI »

I think Cosmic Encounter has already been mentioned as being brought? Could be wrong though. I'm skewing toward smaller games where possible, since space is such a limitation. With that said, though, Malkon, I have the Deluxe Bang, which has the expansion and extra roles and stuff (and is in a cute bullet) if you'd prefer me to bring that.

Right now I have Coup, Coup Reformation just in case, and the Coup standalone game. Maybe Bang depending on whether Malkon has bullet Bang. And I can fit a Munchkins game or something if folks want it. Selfishly, I know it's basic, but I'm hoping someone brings Catan.

I can do Seven Wonders if I need to but also I will need to not bring any pants. (Jk i'll try to fit it)
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:25 am

Post by xofelf »

Pants will already be there, why would you need to bring him?
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:47 pm

Post by panthaleon »

Monty refusing to bring me :'(
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:30 pm

Post by KittyMo »

In post 224, InflatablePie wrote:kittymo: in my opinion the Merlin mechanic makes Resistance actually playable compared to Vanilla (via Avalon or expansions) but that's just me. it does work pretty well in practice but I've also almost never
been
Merlin so bit of bias there

think I like secret hitler better tho for that kinda game

monty if no one ends up suggesting stuff, 7 Wonders and Cosmic Encounter are always good choices (and from LLD's list, Coup).

not even going to this meet but there's some opinions
i wanna try secret hitler but don't recall seeing anyone list it
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Post by KittyMo »

In post 226, PrivateI wrote:Selfishly, I know it's basic, but I'm hoping someone brings Catan.

I can do Seven Wonders if I need to but also I will need to not bring any pants. (Jk i'll try to fit it)
I can bring Catan but I think the board on my copy is a bit bent so if someone else local wants to instead gopher it
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Post by Cephrir »

I'd be interested in trying secret Hitler if it could be procured

I'd just buy it but my normal group doesnt really like social deception games and also isnt big enough for secret hitler
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:58 pm

P sure Tanis has it.
TanisNikana
TanisNikana
Watcher
TanisNikana
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:23 am

Post by TanisNikana »

Ich habe das Spiel Secret Hitler.
Wait, you're telling me "touché" doesn't rhyme with "douche?"
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:50 am

Post by Malkon05 »

Does anyone know how to play dead of winter? I bought it awhile back and it looks amazing, but I can't figure it out for the life of me and would love to learn :)

If someone is willing, I'll bring it with me to meet.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:32 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

TanisNikana
TanisNikana
Watcher
TanisNikana
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:50 pm

Post by TanisNikana »

I can play Dead of Winter.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

I have DoW and The Long Night IIRC

Need to find it....
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:33 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

ill play whatever games with anybody.

also v sad the 69 idols i was planning on bringing are gonna have to stay at home smh.

also basically 2 days and 5 hours til i leave for the airport wowee.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:20 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 237, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:I have DoW and The Long Night IIRC

Need to find it....
Do you want to bring it, or me? DoW i mean.
entreri
entreri
Watcher
entreri
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:28 pm

Post by entreri »

I'm bringing 7 wonders with expansions and Citadels.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:04 am

Post by Cephrir »

We are bringing Cult, Lords of Waterdeep and Azul.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
TanisNikana
TanisNikana
Watcher
TanisNikana
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:26 am

Post by TanisNikana »

So... that was a thing that happened.
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:31 am

Post by BipolarChemist »

good job team!
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:41 am

Post by panthaleon »

Good work everyone and congrats to

Spoiler:
Radja!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:35 am

By now I believe most of you have either made it home or at least to your next destination. First off, this meet was so goddamn amazing. Every single one of you was such a delight to see in person, and the positive energy everybody had throughout the meet made everything feel smooth. During the first night I was a little on-edge because there is a bit of a gap between "in theory I could host a Survivormeet" and "oh god I am hosting a Survivormeet". But as I watched you all play the hell out of Survivor, I noticed that everybody was having
fun
and once I noticed that I felt extremely good for the rest of the meet.

Our finalists were all incredibly solid. I made it a point to intentionally not know a lot of what was going on strategywise, but I'm not at all surprised that 1) Radja won, and 2) all three finalists received multiple votes. Radja presented his game extremely well and had quite possibly my favorite mic drop moment of FTC. Vash started out with a weak opener but when he launched into that monologue about his personality and perceptions and chopping wood on Exile Island he turned into a snowball rolling down the hill getting bigger and bigger. Fenrir managed to play a solid UTR game despite his public idol find putting him on the radar, and I thought he did a very solid job of defending it. I thought Radja would win when votes were cast, but any of you three could have won and been a deserving winner.

Mitch, I'm sure by now you're sick of people telling you play an online game now, but
play an online game now!
You mentioned using your time at Redemple Temple to reflect on what went wrong and what you could have done better, and it showed when you demolished the slinky challenge, rejoined the game, and stomped all the way to F4. I also loved listening to Linguisticschat.

Monty was coming off a first-night-boot 13th-place finish at Lake Gaston, but he showed up in Oregon to play. He's a very likable, fun, ball of positivity of a person, and they needed an idol to get him out.

DV was a target for almost all of the merge, but he was so charming his allies had a lot of trouble turning on him; his reputation for being a strong social threat is well-earned.

Skelda was another player who I kept thinking was on the ropes and then kept surviving. He went from being targeted at the very first TC to joining the jury on the last day of the meet. Despite being a regular target he did great at finding allies willing to stick by his side.

Xof came into this game with several subgoals besides winning the whole thing, and she achieved all of them. She survived a TC, won a challenge, made merge, and survived until the final day. And Ms. I'm-Not-Good-At-Challenges surprised us all. She was probably the most effective person in the Bucket Brigade, anchored her team in College Bowl, and was just a few inches of thread away from winning the needle challenge. I've talked with her before about how non-anonymous games always have her fighting uphill because she starts the game with the burden of "everybody knows she's xof", but she rocked this game and I'm incredibly proud of her. <3

Entreri surprised me the most out of anybody on the playerlist. Prior to Survivormeet I hadn't really interacted directly with him a ton; all I knew was that he was a Diplomacy player who had been the early boot in several Survivor games and he also put a crazy amount of effort into studying Hive. As soon as I picked him up from the airport I could tell he was charismatic as hell; combined with his smarts I'm not surprised at all he seems to have been running the Clackamas Tribe.

Pants was a great player, a great juror, and a great person; I don't think anybody told me unprompted about how much fun they were having more than he did. I definitely want to hang out with him and Mitch in the future.

Lexi is an amazing person. During the spectator drafts everybody was worried that she would overplay too hard at the beginning, but she jumped in the driver's seat for the first four TCs of the game and stayed there comfortably for the entire pre-merge. On a non-game level she was a FANTASTIC cook, preparing fajitas the last night and what was without hyperbole the best Indian-style curry I have had in my life. Our grocery run was also a fun experience. Thank you again for everything.

Cody barely missed the merge, which made me sad, but when his tribe voted him out they unanimously told him they wanted him to win Redemption. He's a very introverted person, but he also has an innate ability to make people like him. I'm very sad we will never get to know what could have happened if a slinky had retracted just a liiiiiittle more stable manner.

Piggy, on the other hand, had everyone who voted her out hoping that she wouldn't win Redemption because they knew she'd be back for revenge. It was a great dynamic to watch, made all the better when she made a great comeback at the tangram challenge where she was the second-to-last player to find her pieces but put together the puzzle really fast.

Menno was a surprise boot for me; I still have no idea what happened that TC. This guy was a challenge beast. While we are all going to remember the sheer creativity of the slinky challenge, for me the defining Menno challenge performance will be the slide puzzle at the end of the relay; my comment about Gen Z texting was a joke but he seriously buzzsawed through that slide puzzle like it was nothing.

Meme was our last boot of the first night, and although I was sad to see somebody who flew all the way from Europe go home on night 1, the way it happened was so amazing that I think there was no better way you could have left the game. The man with the custom title "Banana Split" found himself in yet
another
ridiculous vote split, orchestrating a 2-2-2 vote. If he hadn't voted for his own ally he would have stayed in the game, but in the end his boot was extremely on-brand. He also caused the modteam a bit of anxiety by being so bad at finding tangram pieces we started to worry that we forgot to put one in his bucket, so that was fun. Thanks for being a good sport about those jokes.

PEG was our first person voted out of the game, and I suspect he knew going into this that he would be a target at his first TC. He didn't go home lying down, though, and his words about people making a mistake turned out to be true. After being voted out, though, he kept a positive attitude and never stopped having fun which is the most important thing at an event like this. PEG is one of the most chill people I've ever met and I am so glad that he came. He also gave us some footage that I won't spoil for those who weren't at the meet, but will definitely be going into the introduction when I edit the footage.

That's all of the players, but our crew made this such a great game as well. Ceph and Mina were beasts on the camera, following the players everywhere and pulling people aside to get confessionals. Tanis and Malkon were always running behind the scenes, helping set of challenges or make sure that we were ready to run TC. Malkon and Tanis also did a fantastic job during the design phase of this game; all three "primary" mods contributed to the challenge design and part of the reason we had the (IMHO) great balance we did was because of their ideas. I will admit to being skeptical about the puzzle balls at FIC, but not only did it run smoothly I think at least one puzzle ball was actively being played at all times on Monday.

You will note I didn't mention Ariel in that last paragraph, and that's because she deserves her own. She signed up originally just planning to do camerawork but she did SO FREAKING MUCH in just about every aspect of the meet. She made supply runs, she organized the props, she converted our planned schedule from being a photograph of a whiteboard to an actual usable spreadsheet, she bought the immunity idols and made the instructions for them, she did FAR more than her fair share of keeping the house clean... this woman did everything. Take away one of me, Malkon, Tanis, Ceph, or Mina, and the meet isn't nearly as good but we still get through it. Take away Ariel, and I'm skeptical the meet functions at all. Ariel is an amazing top-tier scummer and human being.

Quick shoutout to my wife Anastasia for helping with the pizza on the first night, transporting people to the Airbnb or to/from the airport, hosting a bunch of people at our house for several days, and giving me permission to host a meet at all what with the baby being born at the end of June. I love her and I personally couldn't have done any of this without her love and support.

I think that's pretty much it? I miss all of you already (except for Xof/Meme/Skelda who are still here) but I want to thank all of you again for making this such an incredibly positive experience.

And to my knowledge the carpets remained un-peed-on!
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:30 am

Post by Skelda »

<3

Love you all!!!
PiggyGal15
PiggyGal15
Mafia Scum
PiggyGal15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:27 am

Post by PiggyGal15 »

Thanks everyone for making my first meet one of the funnest experience I've had in years and now I can't wait for the next one ❤️
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:40 am

Post by McMenno »

In post 245, Haschel Cedricson wrote:Menno was a surprise boot for me; I still have no idea what happened that TC. This guy was a challenge beast. While we are all going to remember the sheer creativity of the slinky challenge, for me the defining Menno challenge performance will be the slide puzzle at the end of the relay; my comment about Gen Z texting was a joke but he seriously buzzsawed through that slide puzzle like it was nothing.
supposedly fenrir made a deal with the green tribe last minute and they accepted because they suck

and yes this was great!!! I might even go to another one in y'know, the future.
mafiascum is on life support
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Post by DeasVail »

A massive thank you to Haschel and the crew for making this meet possible. It was what inspired me to make a US trip that I have thoroughly enjoyed so far and in particular the meet itself was amazing.

To everyone that was there, each and every one of you added something special to the experience for me. Getting to meet all of you was at times surreal, but overall just meant so much to me and I am so glad that I came along.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”