implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #900 (ISO) » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11 am

Post by implosion »

VOTE: hitogoroshi
Blake wrote:The biggest thing that would impact it for me, which is also sadly something I would have difficulty answering by myself, is what type of plan LLD would have for endgame in this specific scenario. Aiming for a lynch on a confirmable town is inherently risky by its own right, and it's important to note what kind of prerequisite conditions have to be met for that to be a worthwhile risk to take. It's fairly clear to me that she had taken into account being lynched for it the day after based on how she handled day three, so it's probable that the scumteam either had few options that lead them to a victory (if not only the one), or it was the simplest option they had.
I think this is overanalyzing things; like you mentioned, Pine had lockscummed LLD. As soon as Pine claims gun, from LLD's point of view, if he lives to shoot, he's probably gonna shoot her, so she isn't making it to endgame without him getting lynched. The prerequisite conditions to take that risk from her point of view were probably met irrespective of any plan she had for winning the game long-term.
With this in mind, the biggest key to me for sorting hito as either alignment once and for all is whether he necessarily had to push the game towards both specific lynches D2 and D3.
That said, this is kind of fair; it's maybe a bit reductive to say that he "had to" do anything, but I think he may have felt like he had to push pine (to keep LLD alive longer and give more options in endgame) and I've explained why his arc in d3 makes sense from scum.
I'd just like to note that this can potentially be observed from another angle.

If LLD was the primary wagon at the start of day two with someone who wasn't entirely confident in securing two mislynches by themselves, would it not suddenly make sense for LLD to be willing to risk a play like that? In this specific scenario, with Pine having lockscummed her and having a vigilante shot if he isn't lynched that day, it would be very important to secure the other slot's spot in the endgame as much as possible.

This obviously still applies regardless of who the second scum is, but it's more pressing in this case assuming that the suggested implication is that implosion is a weaker scum player than hitogoroshi is.
I don't know how strong the absolute strength of hito's scumgame is generally considered to be; the strength of my scumgame has varied a lot over the years, but if you want nice relatively fresh meta, there's MLP available. I got lynched d2 but I was being very much powerbussed by both scum and there were a lot of townies (e.g. bins, the worst) who iirc had me as strongly town until I died or at least shortly before. I think I played a good game overall in it.

I think both me and hito are probably fairly confident scum players.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #901 (ISO) » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

oh, if scum meta matters - in my mafia youth I was pretty infamous for being a hyper-transparent player, who did horrifically as scum and got caught all of the time. Largely this is because I had like...10 town games in a row when I started on the site, so I just got kind of used to town posting and didn't have any other modes. I started an anon hydra with RedCoyote called Copper on the premise that my posting style was what hurt me the most as mafia, to some amount of success. My last scum game was FTL Mafia in 2014, where I actually think I put up an okay fight but I had a buddy commit an Alpha Scumtell and I felt I had to bus + just a bonkers broken setup in favor of town. Now I'm on ANOTHER town streak and haven't been scum for five years, so I have no idea where my scum game is at these days ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #902 (ISO) » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:33 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

this is kind of a boring waiting room for s_s to see the light but I'll just restate the essential crisis on implo

When LLD is a very fast L-1 (or at least psuedo L-1, there was that time when Kagami hadn't officially voted but was effectively pressuring the slot), implosion came out with these very certain sounding posts:
In post 763, implosion wrote:I'm leaving my job this week and taking a break so I'll certainly have time and probably focus but I'm a bit disheveled right now.

I think the amount of info people have given for reads is enough and it's maybe a bad idea to be too specific at this juncture? That is to say I'm probably going to hammer LLD because the game seems generally not sensible if she's town at this point (for one, I don't think the way Kagami is talking about the LLD lynch is at all likely to be scum who is trying to secure a game-winning mislynch in this situation), and I'm not sure how useful it is to strongly give reads/analysis now as opposed to tomorrow.

My opinions have shifted a bit and I've found some interesting things but I don't think it's useful to talk about what bc I want to carry the stronger opinions I have to tomorrow if I'm alive without the baggage of having been kept alive after saying them, and I don't feel solid enough to want to try to convince other people of anything atm. I can if people think it'd be useful for sorting me or others but would rather tomorrow.

hito, if you think any of the possible non-LLD scumteams are viable enough to think about, now's the time to explain why.
In post 765, implosion wrote:my eyes are kind of glazing over reading that post but
I guess what I'm saying is that even if you're not at all convinced on my potential alternative scumteams and think LLD is lock scum, there's a lot of value in pretending it's an option and making people post in that world, so you should just say you think there's a chance they're possible whether you do or not :')
Really don't think this is worth the +apathy of stalling the game for days with a wagon sitting at L-1 if she's scum.
So according to implosion here, not only is LLD scum, but it's so obviously LLD that it's not even worth hearing what people will say because it will uhh, make the scum kills more dangerous or something (???). And oh gosh what terrible apathy it will be if we dared to continue the day. But when ol' Hito DID want to continue the day, this was a totally empty bluff and he laid low for two and a half days before posting this as his very next post:
In post 806, implosion wrote:Alright. I had been looking at the game under the assumption that LLD was scum, and then had a thought that Kagami+hito might actually make sense, then realized that it's impossible because of hammer shenanigans, but then remembered that it isn't actually impossible because scum aren't necessarily going to quickhammer in this setup. And that kind of ruins a lot of the way that I'd been thinking about possible teams. So I'll just lay thoughts out there

I don't think any 2/3 of Kagami/LLD/hito is especially unlikely or impossible. I don't see Kagami or LLD's mutual interactions as necessarily precluding a bus (in particular I feel like MS is in a fairly bus-heavy meta right now though I might be biased because the last scumgame i played was mlp). If it's Kagami + hito, I can very much see hito playing the role of not wanting to hammer in this setup, especially after I said I would, so as to still be in it after a possible missed kill. However, I really think both scum are in that three.
Now suddenly, implosion has decided that the competing wagon to LLD could ALSO be mafia, and for all of that faux-certainty before when he thought the bus was probably inevitable, he can't distinguish between the three of them at all. Instead, he's just making sure to have his options open as much as humanly possible while doing none of the push himself, even to the superlatively hilarious degree of "if LLD redflips here, I still refuse to clear the player who instantly called her out and who she dragged into a 1v1."

I think this is pretty transparently implosion starting thinking "I probably have to bus LLD; I don't want to, but I don't want to be seen actively defusing the wagon, so I'll wait around to see if hito does it or not and leave myself open to either completing the bus if I have to or voting for Kagami if hito does." This is probably why he constantly goes with "it's in the scum range of x" instead of "here is something that scum-X would do that town-X wouldn't". He'll use certain sounding words when he thinks he doesn't have a choice, but watching how quickly he pivoted to no opinions and uncertainty when he had multiple options available, and how transparently he wanted to see where everyone else fell before seeing if he had to bus or not, I think it's pretty obvious that he's the buddy here. I don't think there are any good explanations for the dramatic certainty downgrade from 763 to 806 besides "In 763 implosion figured busing was inevitable; in 806, implosion was uncertain whether or not busing would be required, and he was pertrified about locking himself out of one option or the other until he knew where everyone else would stand.

And actually that same issue where implosion is just scum holding options open vs. actually scumhunting is here:
In post 648, implosion wrote:Busy days, this game fell off my radar pretty hard. Not that it looks like much has occurred.

Not interested in pivoting onto S_S right now and doubt I will be willing to over pine but I'm happy to hear arguments about him. I could theoretically pivot onto Kagami but honestly not lynching Pine today at this point probably just leads to this game getting even more bogged down tomorrow. And the most likely way we lose this game is it dying to apathy.
"I don't want any criticism for being on the mislynch on Pine, but also I am giving myself a clear escape hatch to finish off his wagon at the end of the day as long as I will be held blameless"
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #903 (ISO) » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Post by implosion »

town never change their minds, town are never uncertain, etc.

I feel like there's not a whole lot to say. If either of you want to talk I'll still be here on and off for the rest of the day but if not you should just make up your minds because spacing out doing nothing for 3 days isn't gonna get you better reads.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #904 (ISO) » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Post by implosion »

:|
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #905 (ISO) » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 903, implosion wrote:town never change their minds, town are never uncertain, etc.

I feel like there's not a whole lot to say. If either of you want to talk I'll still be here on and off for the rest of the day but if not you should just make up your minds because spacing out doing nothing for 3 days isn't gonna get you better reads.
I mean yeah I know I changed my mind hella times yesterday and it owned bones. the issue is that your swap had no rationale besides convenience and if your initial "oooh boy I wanna vote LLD so bad! hito if you do it first everyone needs to know I woulda done it too!" was rooted in anything sincere then the arc of what happened to that and why would have been present in 806. you already know this but I am making it explicit for the kids in the back because what else is there to do when the only person I have to hang out with is scum.
at last, something we can agree on
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #906 (ISO) » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Post by FakeGod »

VoteCount 4.2

implosion [1] - hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi [1] - implosion

Not Voting [4]
- Blake Belladonna, Something_Smart

With 4 alive it takes 3 votes to be chosen.

Countdown to deadline: (expired on 2019-07-15 21:00:00)
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Blake Belladonna
Blake Belladonna
Mafia Scum
Blake Belladonna
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #907 (ISO) » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Post by Blake Belladonna »

Okay, I've made my choice.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is that I can see far more scenarios where implosion is scum than hitogoroshi.

I believe the Kagami kill makes more sense from implosion, it's harder to reconcile hitogoroshi's actions around the lynches over the past couple of days, and I believe that hitogoroshi has ultimately been more town than implosion throughout the game since my initial entrance into it.

If this is correct, I'm glad I managed to make up for my play day three at least. If not, then congrats on successfully pocketing me, hito. Either way, this is a learning experience for me and I'm glad i got the chance to try my hand in a game like this.

VOTE: Implosion
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #908 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:07 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Ugh, sorry for the disappearance.

Reads wise I'm kinda lost but I think Ank is right that implosion scum requires fewer assumptions.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #909 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:10 am

Honestly the only thing holding me back from hammering is that hito played terribly if town and if scum he played in a way that doesn't deserve to win. But I probably will hammer anyway. This really doesn't need to be dragged out any more.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #910 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:59 am

Post by implosion »

:\.

If you hammer me then so be it. But it's really, really telling that hito played scummy throughout the game and that S_S is the one looking at his play before d3 at all and blake seemingly isn't, and that blake is acknowledging that she could have been pocketed in a situation where hito as scum literally has to appeal to like two people.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #911 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:06 am

I mean this whole game is a :/ honestly. From FG's friends picking weird shit and then mass replacing out to Pine disappearing completely and everyone wagoning him for this completely NAI behavior, I really won't feel that bad if we lose.
Blake Belladonna
Blake Belladonna
Mafia Scum
Blake Belladonna
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #912 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:08 am

Do you need anything from me specifically SS?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #913 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:17 am

Can you explain to me why you think hito is more likely to hammer the IC as town than as scum?
Blake Belladonna
Blake Belladonna
Mafia Scum
Blake Belladonna
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #914 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:33 am

I find it likely that a scum posturing onto that wagon will need to pull the trigger on it, but I also believe that it would be far more likely for scum to be on the wagon for longer than just waiting for the hammer vote. It's a bit dissonant to specifically wait after already showing interest in lynching Pine, while appearances doesn't really matter for town in the same way. It's a similar reason to why I think that after LLD was trapped like she was, it makes more sense to pull the trigger on her immediately instead of waiting awkwardly for people to spew information that can potentially clear them in MyLo.

I find it easier to believe that he legitimately had to think about it rather than take that path as scum.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #915 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:52 am

I just don't see why someone who is as experienced as hito would make such a suboptimal play as town, given that we had already laid out that guns had to CC.

Like yeah, I do agree with you that his play is pretty weird and unlikely coming from scum, but do you not also see it as unlikely coming from town? I do.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #916 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:55 am

Post by implosion »

I find it likely that a scum posturing onto that wagon will need to pull the trigger on it, but I also believe that it would be far more likely for scum to be on the wagon for longer than just waiting for the hammer vote.
This reasoning is scurrilous because LLD was tunneling Pine for a long time before his claim. hito might have just been reluctant to actually jump on initially because of how hard his scumbuddy was pushing it.
it makes more sense to pull the trigger on her immediately instead of waiting awkwardly for people to spew information that can potentially clear them in MyLo.
Like I said, I'm pretty sure he just thought he could get a Kagami lynch for most of the day.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #917 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:05 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 907, Blake Belladonna wrote:Okay, I've made my choice.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is that I can see far more scenarios where implosion is scum than hitogoroshi.

I believe the Kagami kill makes more sense from implosion, it's harder to reconcile hitogoroshi's actions around the lynches over the past couple of days, and I believe that hitogoroshi has ultimately been more town than implosion throughout the game since my initial entrance into it.

If this is correct, I'm glad I managed to make up for my play day three at least. If not, then congrats on successfully pocketing me, hito. Either way, this is a learning experience for me and I'm glad i got the chance to try my hand in a game like this.

VOTE: Implosion
dw I'm town, if I was pocketing scum I would have pocketed you yesterday when you had the usefully wrong read. thank you for doing unto S_S as I have done unto you
In post 913, Something_Smart wrote:Can you explain to me why you think hito is more likely to hammer the IC as town than as scum?
I mean, it's not about 'more likely' it's 'equally', I'm sure hito scum would have taken this chance to hammer also.

Again, Pine is NOT an IC once everyone posts after his claim, pine is IC when everyone posts --claiming Rose--. So it's not just that Cyan was V/LA and was unlikely to be able to confirm anything, but pops and Ceph affirmed their votes post-claim WITHOUT saying they're Roses, which is ALSO the play a gun makes who doesn't want to out for the transparent scum claim. I had the odds of Pine being town as effectively nil, because we had spent the entire beginning of the game talking about the gun claim should work, so it made absolutely no sense that the player who knew guns were conf would assume he's going to die + his complaints that the game was stalled with the wagon on him were totally senseless since he could unstall with the claim at any time. There is plenty of utility for scum to claim late and sow chaos - gets the real gun to CC, OR, if Cyan just keeps on lurking, it forces a stall that let's N2 Gun scum get a shot off. There is zero utility for town to do it this way, and only happens from Pine literally forgetting his role PM or whatever the fuck happened there (maybe we find out postgame?).

So the question is, do I badger Ceph and Pops to explicitly affirm if one of them is the Gun agreeing to my plan to lynch without CC, and instead make them claim? And if they both claim Rose, do we agree to sit around and hope Cyan comes back in time? What do we do if he doesn't show? Or do I just finish off the wagon before LLD has a stroke (I assumed she was locktown with Pine-scum and felt bad for her apparent desperation).

Like I don't like hearing about this being a sub-optimal play because it correctly handles scum who randomly throw out claims just to squeak out value - a play that any scum, of any skill level, can always do - and it only fails if a town player posted totally incoherently with their claim for no good god damn reason. I don't play so much anymore, so maybe the site is now full of people who would fuck it up this badly and I just haven't met them, but if you have the prior that "very few non-newbies will post saying they are certain to be killed, and then sit around waiting for deadline, while having a guaranteed town role to claim" then it's correct to just not engage with the transparent fakeclaim. Maybe I shouldn't these days, but I certainly had it until this game!
In post 916, implosion wrote: Like I said, I'm pretty sure he just thought he could get a Kagami lynch for most of the day.
thats right....you got me....I was sitting around thinking I could lynch Kagami, but when that player repped in and said "by the way, I only want to lynch Kagami and not LLD" I thought shit...my plan is ruined......
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #918 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:19 am

Okay, I think I see, it's definitely a generational thing. I've played with plenty of players who would handle the gun claim as badly or worse than Pine did. (I've even played with some who, if caught on a bad day, would selfhammer as gun out of spite.) I also have not played with many players who would sit on a CC the way gun-Ceph or gun-pops would have had to.

But like, I guess it's not really disputable that you did most of your playing at a time when the site meta was different, and given that everyone else alive has at least four years on me, I'm sure Ank and implosion can confirm this for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still annoyed. Pine's futzing around was, to me, relatively insignificant compared to his genuine scumhunting, but Ank's probably right that the best move is to just assume that you didn't do a bunch of things to make it harder for yourself.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #919 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:32 am

Again. Sorry if wrong.

VOTE: implosion
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #920 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:34 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

\o/

just checking in to let you know I'm town and you done good so you don't gotta stress before FG does the flip
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #921 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:42 am

Post by chennisden »

Okay

So I can post here now the game is finished?
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #922 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 921, chennisden wrote:Okay

So I can post here now the game is finished?
technically no, you leave it to moderators to close out games. I am allowed to informally tell the other townies that I am town and this is over, but dead and out of game people need to wait for Fakegod to officially declare the game over.
Blake Belladonna
Blake Belladonna
Mafia Scum
Blake Belladonna
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #923 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:38 am

I really hope you're telling the truth, hito.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #924 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:40 am

Post by FakeGod »

VoteCount 4.3

implosion [3] - hitogoroshi, Blake Belladonna, Something_Smart [LYNCH]

hitogoroshi [1] - implosion

Not Voting [0]
-

With 4 alive it takes 3 votes to be chosen.

Countdown to deadline: (expired on 2019-07-15 21:00:00)
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”