Formerfish's Advice Column

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:26 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 69, Formerfish wrote:
In post 67, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Thanks, my friend expresses their deep and undying gratitude for your extremely sympathetic and thoughtful response.
They're welcome. I know that sometimes we can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I feel like when we feel that way the sight of a friend holding a flashlight is just as good in the short run. It gives you hope and you can lean on that friend while they show you the way out.

Half of that is letting someone know you're lost in the tunnel, which is the hardest thing to let anyone else in on. Once you take that step though, each one after gets easier to make than the last.
One interesting thing I’ve noticed that if you read the sad thread, everyone thinks that they are somehow unique and the only one struggling with life. We ALL ar3 but most just don’t talk about it.

*DISCAIMER: I meany my “friend” obviously, not me.* :P
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Donempire
Donempire
No pref
Mafia Scum
Donempire
No pref
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: No pref

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:30 am

Post by Donempire »

Whats the sad thread?
Age of Empires Elo: 1500 something in DE, 1800 in HD
Formerly Dongempire
James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Post by James Brafin »

In post 74, PJ. wrote:
In post 70, James Brafin wrote:Here's one: Living in the dorms at college. Something quick, easy and tasty for $20?
what appliances do you have at your disposal? Can you store fresh food? Can you store frozen food? I'd personally invest in a george foremen grill if you have any type of food storage situation + a way to wash it.
I have pots, pans, an oven, a fridge and freezer and various measuring cups and cooking utensils. I'm not allowed to have a grill on campus unfortunately, or a waffle iron/panini press/anything similar, because of fire hazards.
I'm seriously considering getting a blender though. Having access to smoothies and/or milkshakes would be BOMB.
A new R2D game is in signups! Running Alpha v1.3 Link here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80343
Get to know a handsome potato: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=76837
Making the world more educated, one uneducated person at a time.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Post by PJ. »

You have a whole ass kitchen?

Is it a problem with finding time to cook? Finding a cheap msrket? Do you not know how to cook? Sorry, I'm just not sure the issue, I was prepared to teach you how to make grilled cheese with an iron and cook ramen with a coffee maker, not like...."I have an entire kitchen, help me"

If you have the room, buying what you can in bulk helps keep the cost down long term, but at a higher initial investment.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:26 am

Post by James Brafin »

Finding a cheap market, and also not having a TON of space (It's a mini fridge and freezer) so it does need to be something where I use anything that won't keep right then and there.
I'm also not very good yet and a suggestion on easier, but still more interesting than basics, would be good.
A new R2D game is in signups! Running Alpha v1.3 Link here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80343
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:47 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 76, Donempire wrote:Whats the sad thread?
It’s in the Speakeasy. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to link it here or not.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:53 am

Post by PJ. »

Buying bulk rice and bean, especially without packaging, goes a long way. Same with spices. Like, places like.sprouts or Henrys. There are like 50,000 blogs about this, Google gotchu
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:57 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 79, James Brafin wrote:Finding a cheap market, and also not having a TON of space (It's a mini fridge and freezer) so it does need to be something where I use anything that won't keep right then and there.
I'm also not very good yet and a suggestion on easier, but still more interesting than basics, would be good.
What area are you in? I could suggest some places I like near me, but if you aren't in the same place it'd be like speaking Greek.

Let me know that piece first and I can fold it into a bigger answer about the basics.
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:11 am

Post by PJ. »

https://www.budgetbytes.com

Is great for recipies
James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:39 am

Post by James Brafin »

In post 82, Formerfish wrote:
In post 79, James Brafin wrote:Finding a cheap market, and also not having a TON of space (It's a mini fridge and freezer) so it does need to be something where I use anything that won't keep right then and there.
What area are you in? I could suggest some places I like near me, but if you aren't in the same place it'd be like speaking Greek.

Let me know that piece first and I can fold it into a bigger answer about the basics.
Kirksville, Missouri. Basically the middle of nowhere.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:17 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Working on you James. I found what I'd hoped to in a search, Aldi is your best bet for cheap food. They do a few things to cut down on cost. 1. Their carts require a quarter to be used. This makes sure that people bring the carts back, and no one has to go outside to get them all the time. 2. Almost all of the products are generic. 3. You pack your own bags, and they don't offer any for you, so bring your own.

All of those savings are passed along to you. I walk into my normal grocery store and will buy 25 items and spend $100. At Aldi you fill a cart, spend $80 and walk out feeling like a king.

I'll get to some basics to master and will help a bit with your menu building.
Show

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:30 pm

Post by Amrun »

Aldi is da bomb dot com
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Post by James Brafin »

Shop at Aldi, check.
Just so you know I'm not a picky eater! I like just about everything. My favorite things to eat tend to be ethnic, but anything goes for me (as long as it's not extremely spicy -- a decent amount of heat is ok, but not over the top)
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 87, James Brafin wrote:Shop at Aldi, check.
Just so you know I'm not a picky eater! I like just about everything. My favorite things to eat tend to be ethnic, but anything goes for me (as long as it's not extremely spicy -- a decent amount of heat is ok, but not over the top)
Cool cool. I'm the same way, now, but used to be super picky. I feel the same way about heat as well, I like it for flavor but when it overwhelms it becomes a distraction.

What are some things you are making right now? Basics are going to include pasta with proteins, proteins with 2 sides, stir-fries, Mexican in all forms, salads, sandwiches, and for me I throw in a lot of kids meals for when I have my daughter. Homemade pizza is a nice alternative to frozen and you can customize your ingredients from the sauce and cheese to your toppings, they will normally have large and small shells so you can have extra or make it twice in different ways.

I buy a lot of my spice mixes from the store, but have also made some. I suggest investing in a wide variety of Ms. Dash or similar. They liven up meals and are versetile which is the name of the game with eating for one. You want to limit you amount of orphan items, things that only have one purpose. If you do then you might end up eating the same thing over and over again or you end up wasting food. There's also a website that you can enter the food you have and it can tell you what you can do with it. When you are waiting on a payday and you need to eat dinner you become quite creative. Necessity is the mother of all inventions and all.

I have been eating a lot of more simple meals recently. One of the benefits of being medicated is that I have an appetite again and care about what I eat. Before it was a lot of frozen meals, now most of my meals are prepared by me. Not complex at all, but they usually have a few different moving parts in each meal.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Spangled
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:23 pm

Post by Spangled »

This is an excellent thread, FF. Say a friend of mine, a very good friend — I see him pretty much every day, actually — is trying to temporarily leave mafiascum to do something with their life for a few weeks but then come back when they have time to play mafia and LSGs. What should my good friend do?
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:20 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 89, Spangled wrote:This is an excellent thread, FF. Say a friend of mine, a very good friend — I see him pretty much every day, actually — is trying to temporarily leave mafiascum to do something with their life for a few weeks but then come back when they have time to play mafia and LSGs. What should my good friend do?
You have the most adorable avatars on the site, sorry RC. <3
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:10 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 89, Spangled wrote:This is an excellent thread, FF. Say a friend of mine, a very good friend — I see him pretty much every day, actually — is trying to temporarily leave mafiascum to do something with their life for a few weeks but then come back when they have time to play mafia and LSGs. What should my good friend do?
I say live your life in the real world when you can. We will be here or others will have taken our place but nothing will really change.

Are you worried about withdrawal, or relapsing?
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am

Post by James Brafin »

In post 88, Formerfish wrote:
In post 87, James Brafin wrote:Shop at Aldi, check.
Cool cool. I'm the same way, now, but used to be super picky. I feel the same way about heat as well, I like it for flavor but when it overwhelms it becomes a distraction.

What are some things you are making right now? Basics are going to include pasta with proteins, proteins with 2 sides, stir-fries, Mexican in all forms, salads, sandwiches, and for me I throw in a lot of kids meals for when I have my daughter. Homemade pizza is a nice alternative to frozen and you can customize your ingredients from the sauce and cheese to your toppings, they will normally have large and small shells so you can have extra or make it twice in different ways.

I buy a lot of my spice mixes from the store, but have also made some. I suggest investing in a wide variety of Ms. Dash or similar. They liven up meals and are versatile which is the name of the game with eating for one. You want to limit you amount of orphan items, things that only have one purpose. If you do then you might end up eating the same thing over and over again or you end up wasting food. There's also a website that you can enter the food you have and it can tell you what you can do with it. When you are waiting on a payday and you need to eat dinner you become quite creative. Necessity is the mother of all inventions and all.

I have been eating a lot of more simple meals recently. One of the benefits of being medicated is that I have an appetite again and care about what I eat. Before it was a lot of frozen meals, now most of my meals are prepared by me. Not complex at all, but they usually have a few different moving parts in each meal.
0.o
BRILLIANT
Thx mate, this is a great place to start! Pizza/pastas is genius, don't know why I didn't think of that.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 91, Formerfish wrote:
I say live your life in the real world when you can. We will be here or others will have taken our place but nothing will really change.

Are you worried about withdrawal, or relapsing?
As addictions go, playing mafia is probably one of the least harmful imo. I think so long as you don’t get yourself overgamed, it shouldn’t be a huge problem. One reason I prefer MS to MU. is you literally can’t have a life when you’re in a game because they move so fast.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:14 am

Post by Iconeum »

Should I watch The Mandalorian?
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
#Town!Ico.never.does.that.
"paying to play mafia is like paying someone to punch you in the face" ~ Datisi
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:49 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 94, Iconeum wrote:Should I watch The Mandalorian?
I've heard good things.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:15 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 94, Iconeum wrote:Should I watch The Mandalorian?
Do you like Samurai shows and spaghetti westerns?
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:17 pm

Post by the worst »

so much
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Post by PJ. »

Then the mandalorian is 100% your shit. A lot of it is in homage to lone wolf and cub and various westerns.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:05 am

Post by the worst »

I wasn't even slightly interested in mandalorian before but that sounds fantastic. I'm gonna check it out.
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march

Return to “General Discussion”