[Standard]Survivor: TRTWIUAA {Final Tribal Council}

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
ScootsBaboo
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #700 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:13 am

Post by ScootsBaboo »

In post 696, entreri wrote:@scootsThe play you were most proud of boils down to: telling people someone else had an idol (when most ppl already suspected that was the case). Bella's play was positioning herself and controlling the swing votes for a (imo) key vote in the merge, and Zor's involved managing the entire tribe's votes to get his desire result, actively working against half the tribe and still not getting targeted for it.
Why does your play hold up to theirs?
I didn't really set out to play a game that was gilded with flashy plays or big moves. My game was all about maneuvering myself into a solid position at every step, and big moves and plays would have upset that. Because of this, I largely avoided heat being on me in the game, so the one time I had heat, I was able to shift the conversation away from me and onto someone else. I thought you were asking for 1 specific moment, but the thing I'm most proud of about my game does not boil down to a specific moment. It's many tiny interactions that pushed towards a specific result. After merge, my one goal was positioning myself such that I was perfectly set up and insulated in every scenario after every vote. I wanted everyone to want me to work with them, and I was successful. My 'play' is artfully making relationships and managing my perception to mold the interpersonal landscape of the game, such that I was in a vehicle that was so flexible, adaptable, and resilient that I never had to make a 'play' or 'move' to ensure my spot at the end. I go into more detail as to how I did that in earlier comments, but that's what I'm most proud of.
Hope that answered your question more fully.

Both Zor's and Bella's latest comments prove my point:
When asked about a hypothetical sliding doors final 3 if Het goes instead of Entreri, both gave different answers, but I was in the final three in both.
I'm here because I made it so I always would be.
Jamelia
Jamelia
Goon
Jamelia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #701 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:08 am

Post by Jamelia »

In post 698, Bellaphant wrote:Ent - if het goes, I believe I go soon after and FTC prolly looks something like.... you, Radja and probably scoots. Being able to draft out what was ahead if I changed course was really Important in my decision making process.

Tbf radja's behaviour worried me that round a lot too - he told het he was begging me to vote you over het (he wasn't) and that also confirmed it wasn't a safe path

DK, I felt like you wanted to get the names of 'people' who had led your vote and you went straight to those people once I'd mentioned your name. It made me hesitate to continue exploring what happened if you weren't the vote here. It may not have been 'selling me out' but I felt it was indicative of reactionary play. Does that make sense?
Hmm. If I can remember correctly I was curious why they wanted me out. But I don’t know if I was selling you out? But that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #702 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:15 am

Post by Bellaphant »

That's fair too. <3.
het
het
Townie
het
Townie
Townie

Post Post #703 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:29 am

Post by het »

In post 690, ScootsBaboo wrote:
In post 675, het wrote:Scoots, when you described your strategy as “as long as it ain’t me” are you intentionally invoking Sandra there? If so I feel like you’ve drastically misunderstood her game in both PI and HvV.

Also you say you had a straight shot to the final 3 from final ten but I don’t see how that’s any less true of Zoraster if we accept that it’s true for you.
Hahahah, I mean yeah I love her, of course I understand that her game was not that catchphrase. I'm not saying I'm the next Sandra, even though we look alike. I am saying that, literally, "anyone but me" fits my merge game perfectly. Anyone could have gone at any point and I still would have been set up well moving forward.

To answer your second question, maybe I should have said "nothing but straight shots". I constantly worked people to want me on their side so that, no matter what direction the game went, I was going with it. If it's true that Zor was in the same situation as me, then he
way
overplayed. If he really had the multitude of avenues open to him to get to the end that I had, to paraphrase DK's question above, why do all this? Why would he go to the trouble of all this extra if he already had it locked up? He created so many needless risks for himself if that's true.
Either he hadn't set up unlimited straight shots to the end when I had, or he did and his play style was foolhardy.
So the takeaway I have from your posts is that your strategy was to guarantee a spot at the end, regardless of who you’re sitting next to, regardless of whether guaranteeing that hurts your chances of winning a jury vote, would you say that’s accurate? I’m hoping you’ll disagree but it seems difficult to reach any other conclusion.
ScootsBaboo
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #704 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:38 am

Post by ScootsBaboo »

In post 703, het wrote:
In post 690, ScootsBaboo wrote:
In post 675, het wrote:Scoots, when you described your strategy as “as long as it ain’t me” are you intentionally invoking Sandra there? If so I feel like you’ve drastically misunderstood her game in both PI and HvV.

Also you say you had a straight shot to the final 3 from final ten but I don’t see how that’s any less true of Zoraster if we accept that it’s true for you.
Hahahah, I mean yeah I love her, of course I understand that her game was not that catchphrase. I'm not saying I'm the next Sandra, even though we look alike. I am saying that, literally, "anyone but me" fits my merge game perfectly. Anyone could have gone at any point and I still would have been set up well moving forward.

To answer your second question, maybe I should have said "nothing but straight shots". I constantly worked people to want me on their side so that, no matter what direction the game went, I was going with it. If it's true that Zor was in the same situation as me, then he
way
overplayed. If he really had the multitude of avenues open to him to get to the end that I had, to paraphrase DK's question above, why do all this? Why would he go to the trouble of all this extra if he already had it locked up? He created so many needless risks for himself if that's true.
Either he hadn't set up unlimited straight shots to the end when I had, or he did and his play style was foolhardy.
So the takeaway I have from your posts is that your strategy was to guarantee a spot at the end, regardless of who you’re sitting next to, regardless of whether guaranteeing that hurts your chances of winning a jury vote, would you say that’s accurate? I’m hoping you’ll disagree but it seems difficult to reach any other conclusion.
I had perceived some configuration that would guarantee an immediate automatic loss for me and the game wasn’t moving in eliminating that direction already I might have started making some waves, but the way I saw the game shaking out, I believed strongly enough in my UTR game that I would be able to explain it in any of the final 3’s that we’re unfolding.
ScootsBaboo
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #705 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:39 am

Post by ScootsBaboo »

Off to work now, will check back in later.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #706 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:56 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

Excellent answers, all of you.

I'm going into this FTC with an open mind, and while certain directions are starting to look more attractive than others my vote is not locked in. Every juror gets to choose what kind of game is the best to reward, and I personally want to give it to the best
overall
game.

So what does this mean for all of you? Social. Strategic. Structural. You need to convince me you were the best in at least two of these, and I don't care which two. Do that, and you have my vote.

Please rank the three of you in each of those categories, and be specific when it comes to explaining why your #1 in each category is placed there.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #707 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:00 pm

Post by McMenno »

you've really been looking forward to this moment huh
mafiascum is on life support
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #708 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:13 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

And I'm back. I agree with Hasch, good answers for all of you. But I have a couple more questions. The first is for all y'all, the second is more for Zor.

So it's been clear from my time on the jury that Radja REALLY wanted me dead, that he wanted me out for a long time coming. But like in game, this wasn't clear, I wasn't even that aware I was Radja's primary target until het told me not long before demise. So like, which of y'all knew the extent of radja's targeting towards me, and if you did know, why didn't you tell me about it?

Anyway, Zor so one of the rounds you say you had a profound effect on was when Radja went home. And the moment that happened, it meant one of DV, Bella or het would be in the F3, and for me that means quite a bit cause all 3 have easier claims for me to vote them than you do, you've heard what I said about Bella, het played a fire game and honestly one of the main reasons I wanted to work with you and DV was DV kept me in the loop, often telling me things you didn't. So why was that overall a better move for your endgame? Secondly, if Radja doesn't go, what happens?

And Lastly, I'm curious, let's say instead of Bella winning at 4, you win final immunity. What do you think happens?

I guess it's fine if the other finalists chip in on the hypotheticals but it's easier to pose that question to one of y'all.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #709 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:42 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

In post 707, McMenno wrote:you've really been looking forward to this moment huh
I mean obviously I'd rather be answering the questions but yeah this is a sweet consolation prize.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #710 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:17 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

I didn't. I spent that round frustrated and confused and also mostly Criss at zor. It wasn't til afterwards that radja shared his real feelings about you. Like I said, it was the one round I wasn't in the know
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #711 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:59 pm

Post by zoraster »

In post 708, VashtaNeurotic wrote:And I'm back. I agree with Hasch, good answers for all of you. But I have a couple more questions. The first is for all y'all, the second is more for Zor.

So it's been clear from my time on the jury that Radja REALLY wanted me dead, that he wanted me out for a long time coming. But like in game, this wasn't clear, I wasn't even that aware I was Radja's primary target until het told me not long before demise. So like, which of y'all knew the extent of radja's targeting towards me, and if you did know, why didn't you tell me about it?
I knew it, as I've mentioned. I didn't tell you because when we were setting up our roadmap you agreed to do Radja at f7/8. I didn't think I needed to assure you knew that information because if I told you, you'd move him up your list, which would have jeopardized the menno vote. Later, it seemed to be moving forward just fine and I didn't want to tell you the information because Radja had told it to me in confidence. I probably would have revealed it to you if you had won immunity at f8.

I'm sure it's just slipped Bella's mind so I don't think she's trying to mislead you here, but I told her on the morning of January 17th (the deadline for votes was January 18th at 20:00) that "Radja wants Vash gone BADLY and I think Scoots is more than happy for that to happen..." We were both upset that you were going and I laid out the path for us to go forward and still work together without you. She said ideal would have been Vash, Zor, Bella, het, DV which I readily agreed would have been awesome (this was the plan you and I had set up!). We also bemoaned the twist a lot. I'm sure she was mad at me for being the bringer of bad news, but she was certainly "in the know" well in advance of the vote.
In post 708, VashtaNeurotic wrote:
Anyway, Zor so one of the rounds you say you had a profound effect on was when Radja went home. And the moment that happened, it meant one of DV, Bella or het would be in the F3, and for me that means quite a bit cause all 3 have easier claims for me to vote them than you do, you've heard what I said about Bella, het played a fire game and honestly one of the main reasons I wanted to work with you and DV was DV kept me in the loop, often telling me things you didn't. So why was that overall a better move for your endgame? Secondly, if Radja doesn't go, what happens?
I believed I had played and was going to play a better game than all of them except het. But I knew I could get het out at f5 or f4. Barring an out-of-character series of challenge wins (in which case I'd celebrate het's victory with everyone else), I felt I could neutralize his threat because everyone was on board. But while Radja acknowledged that
I
felt het was the most serious threat in the game, I got the impression that Radja actually was the
least
likely to vote het down the line of anyone in the game because he'd say things like, "I know you were looking to lose het at some point" rather than "let's take out het soon" or whatever. To an extent, I had to balance my needs to get security with my need to secure the best possible f2/3 at a higher risk.

I also don't have perfect knowledge in the game. I think my Awareness is pretty high for someone who has barely played with any of the people in this game (apparently Radja and I were on the same side in Ned's which I have no recollection of and no, Haschel, Beerus does not count). But I could only make my best guess as to what you'd value as a juror. If I could have clairvoyantly seen that for your vote Radja, Scoots and me would have been the perfect matchup, would I have made the choice to make riskier plays to get there? I don't know.

At a certain point, you have to be comfortable with your game enough to be willing to take what the game gives you. Getting rid of het was obvious and I gave myself a round buffer in case he got immunity, but I think my case is strong enough to compete with anyone else, and I directed it to here with two stand-up individuals making my case now, so I can't really knock what happened.
And Lastly, I'm curious, let's say instead of Bella winning at 4, you win final immunity. What do you think happens?
I think Bella would have gone. Scoots would have wanted it, DV I think votes for Bella there, and as I mention in my opening statement, DV was my best friend in this game. Even if he posed a somewhat higher risk than Bella at the end (and I have no idea if this is true or not), I would have done mental gymnastics to not have to vote for him if it was at all a close case (and I think it is).
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #712 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Post by zoraster »

Also Haschel, I saw your question, but it probably needs a while for me to think about and write, so my answer will probably come tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #713 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:08 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

Sorry, yes, I thought you meant before the round. I knew before DV in the round. I didn't understand how badly Radja wanted it in the round though, until after, hence the answer. I spoke with DV about breaking the news noone was moving and he said he'd do it..
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #714 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:18 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Nice answer, Zor, but you still missed the question about what happens if Radja doesn't go that round. After that I don't think I'll really have any more, so answer it when you are ready.
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #715 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21 am

Post by DeasVail »

Apologies for the late entrance, but I just wanted to say congratulations to all three of you on making it to the end! You all played great and contributed to what was overall an enjoyable game experience for me.

In a game of much angst, of a neverending journey to discover the true meaning of 'newbie', I want to know what each of you most enjoyed about the game! It could be a moment, it could be something you did, it could be a more general thing! I invite you to take a break from the nitty gritty game details and tell me a bit more about what makes playing these things truly worth it.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #716 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:57 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 714, VashtaNeurotic wrote:Nice answer, Zor, but you still missed the question about what happens if Radja doesn't go that round. After that I don't think I'll really have any more, so answer it when you are ready.
Sorry about that! First, I'll preface this by saying that Radja was the person I had the highest degree of uncertainty about. That's one of the reasons I didn't go with him in the end because I found him somewhat inscrutable, which made planning difficult. But I'm game to try! I apologize if I ramble a bit as I "show my work" so to speak.

F6:
I win immunity. Scoots goes. Let's assume that Scoots goes here rather than my previous answer where I consider trying to take out Bella, DV or het early. Doing this likely means het and I have aligned together with Radja.
F5:
I think Radja wins immunity here. No one else even got it right, and the puzzle was Radja's sort of bag. At this point, does Radja want to go after het? I don't think so. DV is out there and made a play against me at this point in the real game, but if he felt like he convinced me to vote Scoots the previous round, he might have felt like he was establishing his own game and not needed to do so. Radja had also expressed a desire to get rid of Bella before Final 5 in previous conversations. They hadn't established a good relationship up until then (and Bella clearly had an antipathy for him in this game). There's also a decent chance that I attempt to put together a three person gang of DV, Bella and myself to take out het anyway against Radja's wishes. But doing so would have been pretty dangerous for me because that would mean at f4 Radja, the most likely challenge winner (since we didn't know the details of the challenge), would have felt betrayed by me and wanted to go after me. Additionally, DV at this point in the real time line had toyed with targeting me and might have found a more receptive audience in Radja than he did in Scoots. So let's say that
Bella
goes.
F4:
I think there are two likely scenarios at this point: DV wins immunity (because he outscored me in the real time line) and het wins immunity (because this seems like a challenge he could knock out of the park). I think Radja probably is an underdog at this one. So I'll discuss both scenarios I think are likely:
  • DV Wins immunity: DV and I clearly vote for het. Het at this point, figuring out that I'm voting him votes for me. So the question is does RADJA, who has a f3 with both het and me so is under no obligation to take either, vote for het? I don't know. As I mentioned before, Radja more than anyone else was unconcerned about het's possibilities of winning the game and I think would be comfortable sitting next to him. So the question is does Radja think he has a better shot against me or het? I think he PROBABLY votes het in this situation, but I'm not positive. That leaves a F3 of Radja, DV, Zoraster. But I think there's a distinct possibility it's Radja, DV, het/Zoraster in a tie breaker. I don't know who wins the f3 where it's Radja, DV and me. It's not a F3 I love. Ent clearly viewed Radja's game positively from his sign-off message. DV in this timeline probably has a stronger case against me than in the real time line and he would have been no slouch in the real time line either. And obviously in the event of a tie breaker loss to het, I'm out. I vote for het to win.
  • Het Wins Immunity: I think everyone votes DV. We've honored our F3 with Radja this far and I don't think we'd view him as a bigger threat than DV at this point. F3 of het, Zoraster, and Radja and het wins. Or if people feel too burned by het, Radja wins.
So I think by allowing Radja to move forward I both give up control of the game as well as lower the likelihood I win.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #717 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:11 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Haschel asked about rankings: although the question feels designed to highlight flaws, I'm going to be positive!

Social: Me, Zor, Scoots
This might surprise people - why is Scoots below Zor? But for me, this question is about depths of relationships and using those deep and real connections to progress. What struck me through the game, and has been confirmed in this FTC, is that a lot of Scoots' relationships worked at the same level - you can't genuinely be everyone's bff. The game, for me, is about genuinely getting to know people - anon or non anon, I love carrying 12ish people around in my head for a few months, getting to know people and deepening those bonds. I always hope to come away with new or better friendships. And to me, having a good social game (both being 'good' at it but the social game actually mattering, being worthwhile to me) means that your actions spark emotions and have consequences - and I think that's where I stand out from the other two.

It mattered to me when Vash went home, I really enjoyed talking to Entreri about Fire Emblem (Entreri had told me they found non-game related talk difficult, and I'm glad I used this to create a relationship), I feel actual regret about not taking more chances in my relationship with Menno (we probably could've had fun, even if the game outcomes didn't change massively). I made relationships that mattered to people, that meant I never was next on enough people's hitlists, and was also enough of a social butterfly that those with other strengths, such as Zor, saw me as less of a threat to their 'strategic' game. I played up to that to: I spoke with a lot of people about an endgame between us being a 'coin-flip'.

I think the 'realness' of the social game also matters, but less, to Zor too: and I also think it comes less naturally. However, a lot of my favourite moments in this game came from him - typing exactly the same game thoughts at the same time, joking about Stoics v sweethearts v wildcards, him actually working to help me when I accidentally sent Vash a NSFW pic! I think Zor did try to be the things the person talking to him needed to be.

Structural: Zor, Bella/Scoots
Zor used the structure of the game really well. He navigated swaps, he won the Kanye challenge, he made good use of group chats..he's written a whole essay on what he did. I, on the other hand, did struggle with the structural confines of the game - I found the repetitive style of challenges frustrating, I noticeably chafed at the f8-6 immunity twist, etc. Zor is the type of player this type of game is designed for, and absolute hats off to him for making the best of it. I've answered for you before the structural things I think I did well at, I think I have a hard time vibing with this question because the type of game it is doesn't really matter overall - once you have those strong relationships, good situational awareness and an eye at end-game, it's only big twists and bad luck that can mess you up. I feel me and Scoots were affected about equally by the 'structure' of the game.

Strategic
Bella, Zor, Scoots.
Zor has written paragraphs and paragraphs about his strategic game, his roadmaps to the end, his spreadsheet of connections. My argument is, it doesn't -matter-.
You gotta work smarter, not harder.
If this route to the end was inevitable, why take so many risks, offer so many end-game deals, send Menno messages 3 minutes before deadline, leave so many people feeling betrayed? People don't work like input/output machines: I don't think Zor was ready for how upset me and DV were after the Vash vote - we'd made an 'optimal' decision, why did we care? If we flip there, I don't think it's at all likely Zor gets the endgame mentioned previously. However, because he valued our social connection, he offered to make the vote that would have been bad for all of us! I believe that people are people - you can't plan and dictate in advance how they respond. Some of your strategy has to be reactive.

The reason I think I outplayed both Zor and Scoots in the end, is the end. I'm the only one who can truthfully say I got the FTC I wanted, the one that's best for me. It's become increasingly obvious that Scoots gave very little thought to who he was sitting with at the end - we spoke once early merge about who'd get our jury votes and his response was along the lines of 'I never considered being on the jury, I was always picturing myself at FTC'. However, this survivalist method I think has been his downfall at FTC: sitting next to Zor just leads to unhelpful comparisons. By being an 'easy vote', it being 'anyone but him', it meant he lost control of an endgame that worked for him.

The same with Zor. As the f4 round started, he pitched the 'joke' of tying the vote. I reacted against it: Scoots would win a challenge, and all he'd do was dick DV around for 48 hours. But I knew a FTC with DV in it was disastrous for me - for those who appreciated the social, friendly game, DV eats my votes and gives Zor a much easier win. So, I was honest with DV and explained this - I also didn't want an endgame where we both lose. Zor, however, did exactly what I'd reasoned out not to do... only to change his mind to my way of thinking 24 hours later.

Votes this merge were often unanimous, and benefited a lot of people a lot of the time. Sometimes, the benefited me the most. Sometimes Zor. However, the two most important votes in the merge, I was able to get exactly what I wanted - and I'm the only one here who can say that.
Radja
Radja
Serial Thriller
Radja
Serial Thriller
Serial Thriller

Post Post #718 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:49 am

Post by Radja »

Thank you all for the responses. My questions were meant to push you into the defense. I'm not upset at any of you and I congratulate you all on making it this far.
I'm looking forward to talk to you guys after the game to clear up some questions you might have for me. I've seen a lot of false or misguided information about my intentions or actions. But this FTC isn't about me so I'll be happy to clear that up with you all after the game.

Best of luck to each of you.
"I think mafia is the only thing that makes me angrier than driving" - Cheetory6
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #719 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:04 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 706, Haschel Cedricson wrote:Excellent answers, all of you.

I'm going into this FTC with an open mind, and while certain directions are starting to look more attractive than others my vote is not locked in. Every juror gets to choose what kind of game is the best to reward, and I personally want to give it to the best
overall
game.

So what does this mean for all of you? Social. Strategic. Structural. You need to convince me you were the best in at least two of these, and I don't care which two. Do that, and you have my vote.

Please rank the three of you in each of those categories, and be specific when it comes to explaining why your #1 in each category is placed there.
This is actually a good question, but it's not one I relish answering. I know I made tough choices that some felt seemed like I don't have a heart. But I value the games that both Bella and Scoots put together, and by forcing me to put someone bottom in a category it makes it seem like I don't. Still, it's interesting, fair question and I'm going to answer it as fully as it deserves.

I also know that humility probably demands that I put myself second in a category. But I'm not going to do that because it's not how I feel the game went, and I want to be true to the game I feel like I played.

Social

If "Social" simply means likability, then I'm last for many people, I think. I think Bella and Scoots are great! You want to have a barbecue and invite fun, awesome people? You're going to call Bella and Scoots, and you'll see if you have enough space for Zoraster as the date gets closer.

But I think Social means so much more than that. It's the Social GAME you play that matters: how the relationships you develop allow you to influence and control the game. Otherwise all of this is just a popularity contest and particularly in a non-anonymous game that's troubling.

But on the other hand, if it's about Social
game
, then
Social is the Most Important Thing In the Game
because without it, all the strategy in the world is worthless. Taking advantage of the structure gets you nowhere.

My Social Game is the thing that
enabled
me to use the structure of the game to execute my strategy.

So I'm going to put the rankings as:

1. Zoraster
2. Scoots
3. Bella

My relationships
were
sincere in this game. But I also used them to get where I needed to be, which is where the gameplay part comes in.

Interestingly, I'm going to answer a Strategic point Bella made with a Social point from me to illustrate some of my social game. She says that I wasn't prepared for how upset she and DV would be when Vash went home. That's partially true, but I knew it'd be upsetting for them (
I
was upset), particularly Bella. But saying things people don't want to hear early so that they can come to terms with them is often
necessary
. Bella needed time to process her grief, and I knew that. If Vash went and I had come out later at f7 with the plan to get us three to the end together, she would have been mad at me still AND she would have reacted poorly. I think she would have seen herself as a free agent and there I'd stand, not being properly respectful of Vash's vote out. That's not a safe place for Zoraster.

But because I
KNEW
Bella I knew I had to get out in front of it and make my point early, allow her to be mad at me (unpleasant because I love her), apologize for it, and then have us come to the right choice together. I would have played it differently if it hadn't been Bella. But knowing how people react and process things is essential to playing a good social game. Productively having conflict and resolving it is difficult, but necessary. It's also, for what it's worth, an important life skill to have both in one's personal as well as professional life, but I digress.

Similarly, at the Ent vote Bella pushed me hard to consider saving Ent. I talked to Ent, and he convinced me that I at least wasn't dead in the water if I brought it back to Bella. I knew that my relationship with Bella as well as DV at this point was tenuous and I needed their trust going forward and I wouldn't have it if I kept barreling ahead. Sometimes you make a Social Game Play to further your strategic one. I offered to save Ent to Bella (and I meant it!) because (a) I didn't think she'd accept it -- I think she wanted it to be entirely on
my
shoulders that Ent went home and I was pretty sure I had put the work in to convince her that het staying was the right play; and (b) I knew there's only so far you can push your allies and dictate the game to them. Bella feeling like I
listened
to her was important in establishing a relationship that would eventually end up with her picking me to go to FTC with her.

Another example of Social Game Play was the Brom vote. Strategically, getting rid of Brom (who wanted to get back together with Bella to form an alliance with her, scoots, dv, brom and myself as the bottom) was the right call. But the reason I went with Brom instead of an Ent vote (or even an Ent/DK split) that round wasn't
just
that it was theoretically good for me. It was because I
KNEW
I could bring Scoots back into the fold even after blindsiding him. I was right, and we became great friends and worked together the entire rest of the game. I read Scoots. I knew what I needed to do to reestablish trust. I did it.

Finally, I talked about it in my opening statement, but reading you was social game in itself. All these categories bleed into each other, but the strategic decision to make a move on you because you wanted to deprive me of my non-Haschel approved allies came from my social game of knowing that's what you wanted.

---

Most important to my social game I
never
worked as a dictator. I was
always
collaborative with people to make moves, and I'd guide them toward the answer I wanted. And as a result people viewed me as their partner. Doing that takes a lot of work, and a lot of people fail at it. It's why, forgive me for bringing it up, even though there was a post-merge easy choice vote of Haschel vs. DV that neither of you got to "win" that battle until McMenno left: both you and he pretty much declared what you wanted to do rather than leading people to water, letting them see how it benefited them, and feel like they were part of that decision. But I always did this.

---
Why Scoots over Bella? I think it's a close call, but I look at where Scoots came in. Bella had the love and respect of many people in this game upon entering, and Scoots came in as a total newbie. Scoots made sure that he was never in trouble, and whether that was because his threat level was low or because he played a great social game is up to the jury, but as a challenge threat he did have to work to create the feeling in many people that he wanted to work with them or else they'd want to target him even if they thought they could beat him. He was obviously helped by being immune for 4 rounds in the merge, but that doesn't take away from that fact.

Bella also played a good social game, so please don't interpret my 3rd place mark for her as indicating otherwise. But I think it was flawed. Again, she's amazing. But she put herself in a position where even her likability wouldn't have protected her but for winning the FIC. She was also very much at risk at f5 if het got immunity. That's partially a strategic flaw, but its source is in the social game. Still, she played an excellent Social game too! I know Menno thinks he's scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but I really view the three of us as all very strong in this area.

Structure

1. Zoraster
2. Scoots
3. Bella

Forgive me for making this short, but I'd really like to direct you toward my other answer here. The structure of the game was incredibly important to my success at this game, and I utilized and adapted to its quirks to get me to where I am more than anyone else in the game. I should also say that even in this FTC I used the non-anonymous nature of the game to do a lot of research. Even the "meme" of this question (which I was not aware of) was something I had to look up. If this had been an anonymous game and you had asked me this question, it would have been tough for me to answer this question.

Scoots in my mind is second because he utilized the abundance of puzzle-type challenges to both help his tribes and help himself. I'm not sure if this many timed puzzles is normal for a survivor game, frankly, but if structure is about what makes THIS game this game, this game's structure revolves around them.

Strategy

1. Zoraster
2. Bella
3. Scoots

I think I've made my case pretty forcefully that I had a plan going into this game and I executed it.

Bella has to make the case she was #1 in Strategy because she had already posted about how the structure wasn't her thing, and I
really
respect her attempt because it made me think. It's a good post. I would put her at #2 anyway, but after that post it's pretty firmly number 2 because I don't think Scoots used much strategy in the game.

But ultimately, the strategy I outlined in my Opening Statement says it all. I established strong individual relationships with people that enabled me to be secure and make moves against those who I needed to in order to thrive. I managed threat levels incredibly well. It all led to a game that I am really proud of and was in control of, despite spending virtually all of the game in TC.

I actually don't know what she means by her last point. I wanted every vote that came down except the Vash one. Sometimes I led, sometimes I didn't (if i was always the one leading the vote I would not have been executing my threat level strategy well), but
each one
was beneficial to me.
Every
single vote but Vash: Formerfish, Elsa, Ansky, Utah, Overkill, Bro, Kilby, Panth, Brom, DK, McMenno, Haschel, Entreri, Radja, het. All of them shaped the game and put me one step closer to being at the end to make my case. Each was one that I decided was the best course of action and could have altered if I had wanted to (okay, maybe not the Formerfish one).

The only other one I didn't really want at first was DV, and I readily admit that wasn't a strategic decision -- it was one from the heart. As for it being a decision that hurt me more than her? I don't think so. I'll be curious to hear when Monty makes you all raise your hands at the reunion if DV had been here instead of Scoots, but I think DV had a chance to beat us BOTH and take votes from us BOTH. DV is more than just a nice guy, after all.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #720 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:05 am

Post by zoraster »

DV I'm going to get to your question soon, but writing that last post took it out of me so I'm going to take a little break.

Radja, thank you.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #721 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:40 am

Post by Bellaphant »

....that's a lot of words about the least threatening person in the FTC ;)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #722 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:45 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 715, DeasVail wrote:Apologies for the late entrance, but I just wanted to say congratulations to all three of you on making it to the end! You all played great and contributed to what was overall an enjoyable game experience for me.

In a game of much angst, of a neverending journey to discover the true meaning of 'newbie', I want to know what each of you most enjoyed about the game! It could be a moment, it could be something you did, it could be a more general thing! I invite you to take a break from the nitty gritty game details and tell me a bit more about what makes playing these things truly worth it.
Thank you for this question. Your other jurors are asking a ton of fantastic, thought provoking questions that I hope lead them to knowing who to vote for. But this question a breath of fresh air.

The short, real answer is getting to know people. I know for many of you, you already know each other well so it's not much of a novelty. For me, not so much. I don't know how much interaction you and I have had before this, for example. But it certainly wasn't limited to you. So that was really a highlight.

I had some serious conversations with people that I cherish, but I don't want to go into those as they're between me and those people.

So instead, I'll say I really loved the times it could get silly. Whether it was #savethenipple with Bella (she brought it up first so i can talk about it!); without preamble or hello complaining about Sequester with het; putting together the Puzzle Wizard to honor Scoots; or recording a
hot
hit single for the spectators; submitting a very appropriate Final 5 puzzle submission... this game had just a ton of fun times that maybe touched on the game but really weren't ABOUT the game. They were just some friends goofing off around a mutual activity.

Like yeah... I loved playing this game and there were moments like starting a bajillion discord calls to try to get Brom to answer his damn discord messages so we could pull off the pants vote racing against the clock. Or kilby telling me that I was a monster for voting him off at christmas and I was going to finish 18th (we were at final 15)... But I've talked about these a lot, and I think the thing that will stick with me after this game is through are those fun times more than anything else.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #723 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:02 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Hi DV

For me it was getting to know people in new and surprising ways. The running joke that vash is my child from the future (they have the same name), scoots agreeing to help klick with a piece of uni work, talking politics with panzer, my last conversation with dk. Sending vash a picture of my nipple and how well he handled me dying of shame. Discussing why haschel needs a better job description. A lot of things from zor - he consistently makes me laugh and has been one of the best things about the game for me. Talking to you about Christmas in hospital with my mum. Encouraging ent to progress Lorenz' supports and talking about shipping. Zor agreeing with me about how attractive scoots is.

Actually, how classy the f3 have been. Scoots made a little chat for us and it's lovely to see a)how badly we all want to win but b) how genuinely we care for each other. This whole FTC has been pretty great, so thank you all. Actually, although the game did have it rough points, you guys make the game.

I'm also thrilled personally that in the game where for a while the running joke was that my baby would do better on the challenges than me, I pulled off two immunity wins!

Oh, and my first convo with het being him just throwing shade at kilby BC he knew it would make him friends. I was in love at hello.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #724 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:08 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Also, things like my personality quiz to make tribes:

'john tells you your best ally, Tim, has been heard telling people you are a jury threat..do you:a) talk to Tim? He's probably right but you'd like to end game with your buddy. B) discuss jury voting philosophy with john while also working out what he values in a winner. C ) vote out John and then tim'

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”