Song Contest 140 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:10 am

Post by Song Contest »

Entries are posted!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:27 am

Post by Vi »

Spoiler: in re: my submission
Sorry, everyone. After everyone posted hype about the potential for me submitting Ghost, I was considering a submission of one of the non-singles from the back half of
Infestissunam
, but executive dysfunction + concern I wouldn't be able to find it on its own on YT took over.

It looks like someone else got my back on it though, and anyway what I submitted instead is one I'm looking forward to seeing thoughts on.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:37 am

Post by Cyril »

Presumably Poland is a Billie Eilish cover
Has anyone sent her yet tho
Vi which one is you
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:47 am

Post by vizIIsto »

Well, since everyone is able to tell which submission is mine, I might as well not spoiler my thoughts on my own song this time round, but I'll spoiler them anyways because of good manners.

Spoiler: My thoughts
So this is the only version of the first song that I could find that was good, but it also had another song added to it. Well, two for the price of one. I wasn't planning on submitting the other song in a future contest anyway, but it's a great addition.
I've sung this song quite a lot for the past year and a half. There was this girl in high school which was really helpful to me when I was struggling in the first year with a new group. (for those who don't know, I have social struggles). She even was my 'buddy' at some point. We could get along well and I was really glad that I got her as a pal.

And then things changed. The second year with this new group (also my last year of high school), I quickly fell in love with her. Her beauty, her intelligence, her personality, it was all so inspiring and charming and at the same time overwhelming and frightening to me. Some sort of jealousy, maybe, as I wasn't happy with who I was and what I did.
That's where it went wrong. We started to grow apart, I chose another 'buddy' (who is still my best buddy as of speaking), I started to speak to her less... I never chatted with her during lunch breaks. She always hung out with her friends.
I couldn't handle these feelings of love which I had never experienced before, at least, not so crushing. I noticed with every word I said to her that I felt so ashamed just sitting next to her with no one else around. I guess that's what separated us more.
When I had the intuition that I might lose contact with her, all I wanted to show her was that I was grateful for our friendship and that I knew that my love wasn't possible as she didn't love me back. But I guess I gave her the wrong signals.
The bigger that feeling of separation got, the more I started to freak out in high school. I had a time-out card for when I didn't feel comfortable in class, well, I tell ya, I used it a lot in the last few months. At one point, I didn't even show it to the teachers anymore, I just ran out, threw over a chair and slammed the door back with tears in my eyes. That's also why at one point the school direction decided it was better for me to stay at home for a while because everybody who saw it was shocked.

Today, she's no longer a part of my life. We're living our own lives now, quite a few miles apart. I had to say a sorrowful goodbye to her. The things I said to her, mostly, along the lines of 'I wish you all the best of luck in your future' and 'you will always stay with me in my mind, in my heart'.
I still miss her very much to this day, and I hope with all hope that I get to see her beautiful smile again some time. In the meantime, I'm singing this song about once a week, when I'm going for a stroll, or under the shower, or when no one's home in my room. I sang it a lot in the last few weeks of high school and during final exam week.
Do I sing it to her? Well, not always, sometimes I just sing it to myself to settle with my thoughts for her and sorrow, and sometimes I just sing it because it's a helluva good song. I hope you guys will like it as much as I do, but for me, there's some personal stuff going behind it, and I just wanted to share that with you, and the beauty of this song.

In my eyes, this song is as beautiful as the girl I love so much.
Last edited by vizIIsto on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently away from site for indeterminate time (except for Song Contest)
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:54 am

Post by vizIIsto »

Also, for those that don't know this is the case,
there's two songs in my submission. Please listen to both.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:14 am

Post by PJ. »

Is she dead?
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:16 am

Post by PJ. »

Wait..did I really enter as the netherlands?
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:19 am

Post by vizIIsto »

In post 55, PJ. wrote:Is she dead?
No, at least I hope not so. :oops:
She simply left me and we are living our own lives now.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:44 am

Post by PJ. »

This is so anime.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Post by Amrun »

Mine is not all deep like that. It’s just something I used to jam to in high school that had never been entered, which I thought was a travesty.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Post by tris »

time to listen to MUSIC!
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Post by tris »

uh what song am i supposed to ranking for the two parter?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Post by PJ. »

@tool, can you confirm I'm netherlands in a pm?
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

In post 51, Vi wrote:
Spoiler: in re: my submission
Sorry, everyone. After everyone posted hype about the potential for me submitting Ghost, I was considering a submission of one of the non-singles from the back half of
Infestissunam
, but executive dysfunction + concern I wouldn't be able to find it on its own on YT took over.

It looks like someone else got my back on it though, and anyway what I submitted instead is one I'm looking forward to seeing thoughts on.
I mean, there's a reason Cirice won a Grammy. It's a banger. Obviously, the Grammy Awards aren't the end all be all of what music should strive to be, but it was nice to see this win.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:11 pm

Post by Vi »

I've finished my first pass. To all of you who submitted songs that are fewer than three minutes long, a hearty salute for helping me get through 20 entries.
I'm going to be out of town for several days after tonight, though, so it'll be interesting to see how much I have to revise the list on a second listen.

Spoiler: Initial thoughts
Three songs in top tier and three songs in mid tier, with the orders within the tiers negotiable. Yes I know there are more entries this time but six songs I'm willing to give points to makes for a pretty good contest.

There is one entry - other than my own - that I cannot rate. It's an outside-context entry. I'm sorry.

In post 52, Cyril wrote:Vi which one is you
Spoiler: I mean I won't answer this directly but
if it isn't obvious when you click on it, you haven't been paying attention

Spoiler: but w.r.t. who I'm -not-
After tooling around the
Infestissumam
album I decided I would have submitted Depth of Satan's Eyes. Hell yes this is what I'm talking about.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Chad- Ghost- such a great song, ive watched this video a shit load of times, dug further into the group because of this song, watched interviews with Papa and introduced this song to my daughter who overheard it one day and asked what it was. Its just such a powerful song and it hits me in all the feels. It was one of those songs that from the first listen I knew was going to be one that sticks with me for awhile. I could listen to it back to back to back like the Proclaimers tape stuck in Marshall's Fiero.

USA- Sycamour- I liked this a lot. From the initial melody sounding like FoB of PatD and then seeing some balls attached where they usually arent was a nice change of pace. Why the masks on the band?

Australia- Flowerkid- that fucking story man... devastating lyrics. That was fantastic. How old is that kid?

Finland- Poets of the Fall- This got my attention when the vocals started, not what i expected, but in a super good way. I liked this a lot actually, and i felt like it had a good build to it very satisfying last note.

Hutt River- Racoon- Song 1, very listenable, and watching the guy sing out loud when he was walking was nice because i find myself doing the same thing from time to time. Beautiful song too, I think it speaks to that unknown we sometimes leave in our lives for too long. Song 2, dug the first so I stuck around for the second. It was ok, a decent b side to the 1st song.

Iraq- Bon Iver- i had to listen to this one twice, because it wasnt what i know BI to sound like. I liked this.

Solomon Islands- Radio Birdman- nice 80's punk sound, but less raw, which is a nice. I could totally hear some Ramones chords in there and dug it.

Iceland- Glass Beach- I liked this, but it sounded very busy and it kinda put me on edge. I would have liked it a bit more stripped down, but I get that they were going for something different. I did find myself continuing to listen through the break to see what came on the other side though, did not finish.

Poland- Saint Phnx- never heard the original, imma listen to it after this. I dug the original more. The cover was good, but Billie made me tingle.

Turkey- Misfits- Never got into the Misfits, its ok.

Uruguay- Adrianne Lenker- this was ok, a little to coffee shopy for me.

North Korea- The Buoys- I've always said "Can't we have more upbeat songs about cannibalism?" How did I now know about the Buoys? Classic 70's story telling poprock.

Comoros- Greta Van Fleet- I always hear that if you like Zepplin then you should listen to GVF, i agree that the sound is similar, i just dont know if that is a good thing. I love LZ because they sounded like nothing else id heard a that time, this reminds me of a cover band playing an original that ends up sounding just like the cover songs.

Netherlands- Daisuke Ishiwatari- wow, not what I was expecting at all. I didn't hate this, but I can't take it seriously either? I would watch this set to highlights from the anime, kinda like they used to do with dragon ball videos.

Portugal- Naseer Shamma- 15 minutes of lute music. Looking up the best lute players took up four minutes of the 15. Figuring out what you call a lute player took another minute and a half, its a lutenist or lutist. Left it on in the bacground for awhile and was glad i did when it hit 12 minutes. The tone it took on around 14 minutes killed it for me. couldnt even finish it.

Belarus- Melodicka Bros- Another cover, I feel like ive seen this one on guitar hero or rock band, let me check, yup rock band 3. I never made it this far, but my brother liked to play it, I dont hate this song, but again I can't take it seriously, I dont think an acoustic version makes it better.

Costa Rica- Metronomy- This is ok, I would dig it as background music, like walking around a store, but id feel like the store was too hip for me.

Djibouti- Veil of Maya- its ok, i like the idea, but its something i would listen to while working out, but not something id have on my own playlist.

Kosovo- Capsule- its ok.

Japan- Master- Its ok.
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Post by Cyril »

Turkey – I mean, I’m not a big punk guy in general despite loving some genres it evolved into, but this is like. Lacking in substance even for the genre. It has like two lyrics. I mean, I don’t mind it, I’m just… not at all interested in it. (AVERAGE)

Iraq – I mean, I’ve heard some Bon Iver before (their self-titled is solid and has a few good tunes). But uhh. What the actual hell is this garbage.

Solomon Islands – Is this the secret punk contest? I mean to be fair my song is tangentially related too but this is the second straight-up punk song in three tracks. Technically speaking this does have more substance to it, but it also feels like it just has two lyrics and it also goes on twice as long as the last one which isn’t a good thing. It’s… whatever. (AVERAGE)

North Korea – I didn’t like the music of this song at all anyways but holy crap the lyrics of this song are screwed up??!? Who the actual hell puts lyrics like this to music this cheery and cheesy? Wikipedia tells me they did this intentionally to try to get the song banned which, I GUESS. Song sucks either way, so.

Comoros – I think my least favorite thing about these guys is how the singer tries to sound so much like Robert Plant without even understanding the rough-edged appeal he had as a singer in the first place. Also the music is boring tripe. Not even the slightest bit “soulful”. God, these guys really are as bad as everyone says they are. The last minute is the only part of this that has any real use but it’s cheap emotional swell at best & I’m just, offended at the audacity of these guys. I’m not even a big Zeppelin fan!

Principality of Hutt River – Honestly I feel like it should be against the rules to outright send two songs like this but whatever. As such, I’m going to give this points based on the rating of the lower-scored one only. First one’s… a boring acoustic ballad. I don’t get anything off this song, it’s inoffensive at best. (AVERAGE). Second one’s better with a bit more of a pulse and I dig the organ solo, it’s probably the best song in the contest so far really. So it’s the one I’m not gonna listen to again, of course. (DECENT)

Iceland – This band is all over the place in terms of style and even in this song that kinda shows but this one’s definitely my favorite. The wildness and just raw emotional punch of this one slay me.

Belarus – Are you kidding me. You only need to listen to like the first 30 seconds of this to get the joke and then dip out. I stuck around until the vocals came in and that was about enough for me.

USA – Start of this: “boy I sure wonder if these guys have ever heard of Panic! at the Disco,
I really can’t tell
.” The –core vocals & the heavier bits don’t quite work for me but the rest of this is pretty cool though, regardless. 3-minute mark slays, actually. Yeah, alright. (GOOD)

Chad – I listened to this album a few times so I’m going to guess I’ll probably recognize this one. So far I don’t really though. I know Ghost is more of a live band than anything with their stage show and all and I’ve never been too into their sound but ehh. This is pretty Sabbath-y in style. The vocals not as much. I dunno, I feel the hook of this lacks any real power, but the riffs are pretty tasty. Inclined to like this but I don’t love it. Feels a bit long too. (DECENT)
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Post by Cyril »

vi, i skimmed through the other 10 entries and none of them sound like satanic doom metal to me. am i being conned
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 53, vizIIsto wrote:Well, since everyone is able to tell which submission is mine, I might as well not spoiler my thoughts on my own song this time round, but I'll spoiler them anyways because of good manners.

Spoiler: My thoughts
So this is the only version of the first song that I could find that was good, but it also had another song added to it. Well, two for the price of one. I wasn't planning on submitting the other song in a future contest anyway, but it's a great addition.
I've sung this song quite a lot for the past year and a half. There was this girl in high school which was really helpful to me when I was struggling in the first year with a new group. (for those who don't know, I have social struggles). She even was my 'buddy' at some point. We could get along well and I was really glad that I got her as a pal.

And then things changed. The second year with this new group (also my last year of high school), I quickly fell in love with her. Her beauty, her intelligence, her personality, it was all so inspiring and charming and at the same time overwhelming and frightening to me. Some sort of jealousy, maybe, as I wasn't happy with who I was and what I did.
That's where it went wrong. We started to grow apart, I chose another 'buddy' (who is still my best buddy as of speaking), I started to speak to her less... I never chatted with her during lunch breaks. She always hung out with her friends.
I couldn't handle these feelings of love which I had never experienced before, at least, not so crushing. I noticed with every word I said to her that I felt so ashamed just sitting next to her with no one else around. I guess that's what separated us more.
When I had the intuition that I might lose contact with her, all I wanted to show her was that I was grateful for our friendship and that I knew that my love wasn't possible as she didn't love me back. But I guess I gave her the wrong signals.
The bigger that feeling of separation got, the more I started to freak out in high school. I had a time-out card for when I didn't feel comfortable in class, well, I tell ya, I used it a lot in the last few months. At one point, I didn't even show it to the teachers anymore, I just ran out, threw over a chair and slammed the door back with tears in my eyes. That's also why at one point the school direction decided it was better for me to stay at home for a while because everybody who saw it was shocked.

Today, she's no longer a part of my life. We're living our own lives now, quite a few miles apart. I had to say a sorrowful goodbye to her. The things I said to her, mostly, along the lines of 'I wish you all the best of luck in your future' and 'you will always stay with me in my mind, in my heart'.
I still miss her very much to this day, and I hope with all hope that I get to see her beautiful smile again some time. In the meantime, I'm singing this song about once a week, when I'm going for a stroll, or under the shower, or when no one's home in my room. I sang it a lot in the last few weeks of high school and during final exam week.
Do I sing it to her? Well, not always, sometimes I just sing it to myself to settle with my thoughts for her and sorrow, and sometimes I just sing it because it's a helluva good song. I hope you guys will like it as much as I do, but for me, there's some personal stuff going behind it, and I just wanted to share that with you, and the beauty of this song.

In my eyes, this song is as beautiful as the girl I love so much.
Show

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Sorry, getting my vis mixed up
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:05 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 65, Formerfish wrote:Netherlands- Daisuke Ishiwatari- wow, not what I was expecting at all. I didn't hate this, but I can't take it seriously either? I would watch this set to highlights from the anime, kinda like they used to do with dragon ball videos.
It's a fighting game, but funny you mention dragonball. This guy also did the music to Dragon Ball FighterZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvYU2T-i8hE
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Post by Formerfish »

That reminds me a lot of dethklok
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:05 am

Post by Vi »

In post 67, Cyril wrote:vi, i skimmed through the other 10 entries and none of them sound like satanic doom metal to me. am i being conned
Not quite.
Vi wrote:
Spoiler: but w.r.t. who I'm -not-
After tooling around the
Infestissumam
album I decided I would have submitted Depth of Satan's Eyes. Hell yes this is what I'm talking about.
I'm curious about what you and Ff have to say about this.
zeebu
zeebu
Goon
zeebu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:17 am

Post by zeebu »

Spoiler: Fun Fact!
In post 65, Formerfish wrote:North Korea- The Buoys- I've always said "Can't we have more upbeat songs about cannibalism?" How did I now know about the Buoys? Classic 70's story telling poprock.
The song was written by Rupert Holmes who later went on to write Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
zeebu
zeebu
Goon
zeebu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:11 am

Post by zeebu »

also, just cause, here is what i almost submitted. i coulda been a part of the instrumental crowd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zrMMAzIzcc

Return to “General Discussion”