when is premium worth it?

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

when is premium worth it?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:03 pm

Post by Psyche »

Sometimes I feel like I can spend more than the absolute minimum amount of money on something but am unsure if it would be worth it. Do I go to the cheapest haircut spot I can find, or does $30 ($40?? $60????) really buy you a better outcome? When is it ever reasonable to spend more than $20-30 dollars on an article of clothing that's not a warm coat? Why does anyone step foot into publix or — whew — whole foods? Do restaurants with $30 entrees serve meals twice as satisfying as a $15 entree somewhere else?

The potential contexts where the questions come up are endless, and can be really broad or really specific. I know the answer is yes sometimes. For example, I have streaming service subscriptions for content I could easily torrent with only a little more effort. I own a nice computer — and a smartphone! I once bought a hoodie from the American Giant web store and did not regret the purchase. I know things about premium quality ice pops that I can convey as legends to close family. Often, I have Amazon and other sources of online reviews to help discern when cost is associated with genuine quality, but otherwise I feel like I'm asked to take a leap of faith, to just assume that rich people — sorry! "middle class" people! — really know better and aren't just throwing away their money to cope with the ennui that seems inherent in their condition.

What are some times you learned that spending extra money got you extra quality that might be invisible to someone who's never done it?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:40 pm

Post by Vi »

House cleaning services. I would never have imagined how good it feels to come back to a place that was a dump when I left and not one when I came back; because I for one don't have the time, tools, or motivation to clean up on my own.

W.R.T. brands of food I definitely think it's worthwhile to put an ear out for places that other people are talking about. A lot of mid- to high-end restaurants aren't very cost-effective (I mean the portion sizes go
down
) and you may or may not be able to taste a difference in the quality of the food. But having other people go first and making sure you're interested in the same kinds of things is a good way to learn about what's great on the cheap. (Side note: I've heard Publix carries the brand of premium ice cream I like.) I personally have made biryani a go-to luxury food; it's like $15 but it's also two very large meals and I happen to live near the best restaurant for it I've ever been to (and I've tried many other places).

Word of mouth also helps with a lot of services like haircuts and etc., but tbh I'm also a little skeptical of those and don't expect paying a lot to make a big difference (but paying too little definitely will).

W.R.T. textiles it's all about how they feel and how willing/able you are to keep them in good condition. A towel that isn't basically a cloth rug is luxurious af. In general the more you use something in the wearables department the more you should be willing to pay for it.

I'm actually not that fond of spending a lot on tech. Headphones, handphones, etc. Get something that meets your usual requirements and wear it out.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:47 pm

Post by Psyche »

a side question of mine is whether frequent haircuts are worth it
family tradition has been to get a short buzz and wait at least a month to buzz again
this does result in an intermediate period where i don't look optimally fly
how frequently do normal people get haircuts? how frequently do so-called middle class people get haircuts?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:56 pm

Post by zoraster »

Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Post by Psyche »

but where do they buy generic where
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:11 pm

Post by hiplop »

OMG GENERIC TEA IS BAD BECAUSE ITS SO FREQUENTLY COVERED IN BAD PESTICIDES

DONT LISTEN TO DOCTORS AND CHEFS
third best scummer of all time
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 2, Psyche wrote:a side question of mine is whether frequent haircuts are worth it
family tradition has been to get a short buzz and wait at least a month to buzz again
how frequently do normal people get haircuts? how frequently do so-called middle class people get haircuts?
If you're that worried about optimizing your fly style, it's whenever you can afford it.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:43 pm

Post by zoraster »

i booked a haircut because of this thread. it's 40 bucks and i get them roughly every two months. I never look fly.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:45 pm

Post by hiplop »

switch that to everyone 2 weeks zor. flyness is worth it
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:56 pm

Post by zoraster »

there are few mundane things i hate more than getting my hair cut, so no thank you.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:04 pm

Post by Vi »

I get my hair cut whenever people want to be merciful to me and take me to a stylist for my own good

I could probably fly if I flapped my hair hard enough in a strong gale
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:15 pm

Post by vonflare »

Healthy food can be more expensive.

But you should always try to eat healthy. You'll look and feel better
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:11 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 7, zoraster wrote:i booked a haircut because of this thread. it's 40 bucks and i get them roughly every two months. I never look fly.
is this a california thing or a reflection of your not at all lavish and in fact middle american lifestyle
bugspray
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:31 am

Post by bugspray »

I got a bad haircut once and then decided that I would just not get one for a long time and basically I ended up with long hair and I love it and I probably need to get split ends removed and other stuff but this stuff is so fabulous and fun to have and I look really good in it. The biggest downside is that if it's not tied back when eating soup, shaving, canoodling, or brushing my teeth it kinda gets in the way. I really hate when my hair dips into my ramen... Also it gets into my face sometimes
MY PRONOUNS ARE THEY/THEM

do not assume my posts follow coherency they do not imagine that every time i post i put half of my knowledge into a clone and then the clone murders me
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:19 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 0, Psyche wrote:When is it ever reasonable to spend more than $20-30 dollars on an article of clothing that's not a warm coat?
when you're on the job market, a good fitting suit is a must. Appearances play a large role in people's perception of you
Why does anyone step foot into publix or — whew — whole foods?
Produce at my Whole Foods is same or cheaper for many regularly purchased items compared to my local grocery chain. Quality is usually better. Also bulk bins are cheaper too.
Do restaurants with $30 entrees serve meals twice as satisfying as a $15 entree somewhere else?
yes. But to me money for value is important. So overpaying at a restaurant that is only marginally better would make the meal a lot worse on my end.
What are some times you learned that spending extra money got you extra quality that might be invisible to someone who's never done it?
The wife always does this with hotels. For most everything, she's super stingy. But hotels must be 4-star and up with 4.5+ online reviews.

I rarely splurge on big ticket stuff. Closest would be the two times we've been to Morimoto. That was totes worth it though.
a side question of mine is whether frequent haircuts are worth it
Think I've been to a barber once in my life. I didn't pay for it because I was 12. I now just cut a couple inches off the end of my hair every 12-24 months.
This does happen with my beard trimming. The couple days after the trim is too short and looks kinda like skeevy stubble (e.g. Don Jr.). And depending on how motivated I am to shave and can let it get too long where I look a bit homeless.

I think the only thing I feel like I currently waste money on is shoes. But that's because I've started getting plantar fasciitis. So I have to buy new shoes every 6-8 months or it flares up. I had the same sneakers for maybe 8 years prior to that. My toes were coming out in multiple places. At the end of their life, I only wore them at work, but that was like 80% of my non-sleeping time anyway.

I guess I also waste a lot of money on my ice cream hobby. Costs at least $10-20 per batch, often more depending on ingredients. But I only do a few a year, and it's literally my only hobby.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:38 am

Post by Psyche »

wow a shaft.ed wallpost you don't see those every day
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:47 am

Post by Errantparabola »

agree on not spending a lot on tech. havent owned a desktop computer in my life.
i would say cutting unhealthy eating habits can often be cheaper (more time costly etc)
havent gotten my hair cut in a while. almost always have my hair in a bun.
agree with shafted for most of it.
makes sense to waste a lot of money on a hobby (hobbies being "thing you care a lot about that other people dont care as much about" fitting pretty well in this thread in general i think)
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:49 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 15, Psyche wrote:wow a shaft.ed wallpost you don't see those every day
im passionate about my cheapness
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:04 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 0, Psyche wrote:Sometimes I feel like I can spend more than the absolute minimum amount of money on something but am unsure if it would be worth it.
is this Iowa shitshow your fault
To be clear: quack
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:07 am

Post by Psyche »

oh about desktop computers
i have a subscription to this thing called shadow pc
right now it's just 12.99!
it streams a desktop computer w/ desktop-quality specs to you like netflix and can run on very basic devices - eg smartphones - w performance only really gated by the quality of your internet
every day i just connect my tablet/laptop thing to a monitor and go to town
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:09 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 19, Psyche wrote:shadow pc
really...
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:13 am

Post by Psyche »

yeah i know
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:39 pm

Post by Equinox »

In post 12, Psyche wrote:is this a california thing or a reflection of your not at all lavish and in fact middle american lifestyle
It's not so much a California thing as a Bay Area thing. There are cheaper barbers out here, but they require a bit more looking or word-of-mouth.
In post 14, shaft.ed wrote:when you're on the job market, a good fitting suit is a must. Appearances play a large role in people's perception of you
It's also important to your perception of yourself. I used to get by with $35 blazers, $10 blouses, and $15 slacks, which were enough to be more toward the "business" end of business casual but still felt like slapping together an outfit. At some point, someone with more experience in this arena strongly urged me -- and took me -- to get a properly fitted suit. The suit cost $250 and fit me perfectly. It felt qualitatively different to go to an interview with that suit than with the other outfit, and that was important to me in terms of self-confidence.

Things for which you would want to drop premium dollar:
  • mattress
  • shoes
  • backpack
  • toilet paper
  • pet food
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:27 pm

Post by hiplop »

psyche ur the first person i know to use that is it good

why not use stadia
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:08 pm

Post by Psyche »

iirc stadia is just gaming. shadow is a computer you can use for mostly anything.

i will say that it takes very good internet if you want to play games that need super low reaction times (eg a fighting game). usually that means plugging up an ethernet cable for me rather than pretending i can get a great experience on my phone

Return to “General Discussion”