Toolenduso's Top 100 Songs

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:03 am

Post by toolenduso »

MFEO: Made for Each Other/You Can Breathe

by Jack's Mannequin

from the album Everything in Transit

Selected lyrics:
I still live with my high school friends / Some people never change at all / We're still the same compulsive drunks / We were when we were small

My thoughts on this song:
The "story" of Everything in Transit, as it were, is really more of a vague collection of snapshots into a Southern California lifestyle defined by lazy days, partying on the beach, drinking with friends and slowly realizing that something doesn't feel right. The lyrics, set against a magical, sunny musical background, always seemed pretty mysterious and interesting to me. This song, which is basically two songs, seems to be about wanting to escape that lifestyle. And both sides have infectious beats and choruses that make it a lot of fun to jam out to.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:58 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 171, schadd_ wrote:fav kendrick song. incredibly shifty yes. i take the title to refer to himself but maybe moreso his father (i.e. "ducky")
Yeah, that's likely true. There's a thread of destiny (coincidence?) in there that draws them together, but it is more about his dad and Top Dawg.
In post 173, Aloratom wrote:Funny. Rhapsody will always be aces to me. It triggered something. I gobbled up everything from Gershwin. That led to other Tin Pan Alley artists, which led to ragtime, which led to this, which led to that. Rhapsody is tremendous.
I never did the same thing, so for me Rhapsody is more or less the extent of my knowledge of the genre, but I'm sure there are some great ones. Ragtime is pretty fun.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:49 am

Post by toolenduso »

I Want You (She's So Heavy)

by The Beatles

from the album Abbey Road

Selected lyrics:
I want you / I want you so bad / It's driving me mad / It's driving me mad

The Beatles' most epic song? Probably, yeah. The later years of the band were notoriously more experimental than the early years, and this song is a hallmark of that experimentation. The song is equal parts relaxing, intense, soulful and silly. And it's all built around a few motifs that evolve as the music goes along. In some ways it's a look backward to the hey days of jazz and blues, in some ways it was a preview of the future's hard rock and metal genres. It's the kind of song that you can engage with in whatever mood you're in at the moment. It can be a release for anger or a bed of comfort; a stimulant for your brain or an emotional blanket. In the annals of rock and roll, this is one to revisit many times.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:43 am

Post by toolenduso »

Blue Ridge Mountains

by Fleet Foxes

from the album Fleet Foxes

Selected lyrics:
But Sean, don't get careless / I'm sure it'll be fine / I love you, I love you / Oh brother of mine

Fleet Foxes has a knack for making music that sounds timeless. Like, there's the genre of folk and then there are folk songs, that have vague origins and that stick in your head and carry down ideas from generation to generation — Fleet Foxes makes both kinds of folk. This song has a soft, woodsy sound to it that blends happy piano with melancholy vocals and tentative organ. This one'll stick in your head.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:50 am

Post by Errantparabola »

IN THE QUIVERING FOREST
WHERE THE SHIVERING DOG RESTS
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:50 am

Post by toolenduso »

Of Dust and Nations

by Thrice

from the album Vheissu

Selected lyrics:
So put your faith in more than steel / Don't store your treasures up with moth and rust / Where thieves break in and steal

I've long considered Thrice my favorite band, and years ago (before the release of To Be Everywhere) I ran a bracket of all their songs and asked fans to vote between pairs until we had a winner. This song was that winner, and I was surprised but content. Thrice has a lot of songs that go well together but don't necessarily stand out on their own; this one's an exception. The slick guitars, epic drumming and philosophical lyrics truly make this song sound like it exists somewhere out of time and space, reminding us that the things we think of as permanent are as ephemeral to the universe as a breeze is to us.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:51 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 179, Errantparabola wrote:IN THE QUIVERING FOREST
WHERE THE SHIVERING DOG RESTS
words my kitchen hears a lot
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:55 am

Post by Cyril »

oh yeah another great thrice song
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:15 am

Post by toolenduso »

What Sarah Said

by Death Cab for Cutie

from the album Plans

Selected lyrics:
I'm thinking of what Sarah said / That love is watching someone die / So who's going to watch you die?

In high school, I remember a friend talking about "really" watching somebody die — not of sickness or old age, not in a hospital bed, but on a street corner, of blood loss. I guess that was the first time I realized that not all death is equal, and coping with the deaths of people you love might be different depending on how they died. The kind of death I know, and knew then, is hospital death. I watched my father die, when I was young, in a hospital room, with all of my siblings and my mother gathered around. I remember the steady beeping from the machine, which I knew from TV represented his heart rate. I was used to seeing that beeping turn into one unbroken sound, so I figured that was how I would know he was dead — because how else would I know? He was already still. I couldn't tell whether he was breathing. He had long since passed the point of responsiveness. His face was a dull purple, brighter in the little squiggly lines where his veins were. Then the nurse turned off the beeping machine, and I realized that without it I wouldn't know when he was actually dead. So there was no "moment." At some point we all just left the room and decided he was gone. I remember the waiting room, where there were magazines and toys for children to play with, and I remember the vending machine down the hall. I remember the door to the room my father was in, which felt kind of imposing and dark. I remember the strangeness of waiting around for news. When you see a hospital death, these are the things you remember. You focus in on details, you become hyper-aware of your surroundings and get wrapped up in the mundanity of things. You think about practical details of how your life will change, and try to focus on whatever it was you were in the middle of when you got the call. Perhaps it's because you're trying to reconcile the inconceivable event you're witnessing with the presence of familiar, ordinary life. Perhaps it's because you naturally seek an escape from the discomfort of the moment. These are the things that Death Cab for Cutie captured in this song. It's a very realistic portrait of hospital death, and the lines that form the refrain — "love is watching someone die / so who's gonna watch you die?" — are haunting. They powerfully meld together the unthinkable permanence of death with the urgent need to use the present moment in a meaningful way. It's sad, but in an earthy sense it's also beautiful.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:15 am

Post by toolenduso »

Willing Well I: Fuel for the Feeding End

by Coheed and Cambria

from the album Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

Selected lyrics:
The fiction will see the real / The answer will question still

What! An! Epic! Song! This is about as proggy as Coheed gets, and I love every second of it. It's jam-packed with memorable bits, including a twitchy, stutter-stepping opening and a grand, pounding ending. The guitar work (played with a very classic tone) somehow feels understated despite following mostly in the style of the harder 70s-80s rock bands, throwing in random off-kilter licks in the middle of verses and contributing some very natural-sounding soloes when they get the chance. The drumming starting just after the 5 minute mark is also awesome -- just listen to the way the drummer keeps time with the hi-hat while flitting around between the beat on every other part of the kit, giving the song a frantic sort of feeling. This song is just so cool on so many levels.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:27 am

Post by Cyril »

this is the willing well track that seems to get the least appreciation and i dunno why because it's great (although i still like the final cut more because i'm a sucker for those guitars)
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:04 am

Post by toolenduso »

Jesus Christ

by Brand New

from the album The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me

Selected lyrics:
Do you believe you're missing out? / That everything good is happening somewhere else?

What if you knew that heaven was real, and also knew that you couldn't get in? In this simple, moving, beautifully dark song, Jesse Lacey brilliantly uses the extremes posed by Christian doctrine to illustrate what depression feels like. He compares the second coming of Christ to a night-time burglar, an adversary. He says his own fear will lead him to crucify Jesus a second time — in short, he feels no hope. Musically, it's not complex, but the simple drumming helps carry a memorable bluesy guitar line.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:39 am

Post by Cyril »

this song is really really good but it's hard for me to want to listen to any brand new song nowadays, considering its frontman
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:26 am

Post by toolenduso »

Time

by Pink Floyd

from the album The Dark Side Of The Moon

Selected lyrics:
And you run and you run / To catch up with the sun / But it's sinking / Racing around / To come up behind you again / The sun is the same / In a relative way / But you're older / Shorter of breath / And one day closer to death

Amazing classic rock guitar work in this song. Truly an all-time solo. Incredible lyrics and great vocal delivery. Interesting structure. These are the things I love about this song, but there are intangibles too. The mood the band conveys fits well with the existential dread in the lyrics. During the solo, the guitar sounds to me like a blazing red sun sinking toward night. And the lyrics above, specifically, really hit home for me when I first heard them.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:31 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 185, Cyril wrote:this is the willing well track that seems to get the least appreciation and i dunno why because it's great (although i still like the final cut more because i'm a sucker for those guitars)
Yeah, you know, it does kinda feel that way. But it's always been my favorite of the four, and was my early favorite on that album as well. I think it was the "feed little maggots" section that blew me away first.
In post 187, Cyril wrote:this song is really really good but it's hard for me to want to listen to any brand new song nowadays, considering its frontman
I find it much easier to do this with artists I never had a strong attachment to in the first place, like Woody Allen. But for the stuff I grew up with and love, it's hard for me to change that long-standing emotional attachment. So in those cases I try to take the art at face value without tying in my appreciation for it with the person behind it.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:52 am

Post by Cyril »

yeah it's really hard to argue with this one, maybe because dark side of the moon is literally the most popular album ever
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:43 am

Post by toolenduso »

Overcome (The Recapitulation)

by RX Bandits

from the album The Resignation

Selected lyrics:
Because right now we've got our feet stuck in cement / We're too caught up in the material status quo punishment / One thing is for sure and that's the sun will always set / Darlin', you can bet our moon is quite the opposite

Over the childhood years of my generation, there was a shadow. It was not just the senseless, tragic murder of some 3,000 people one September day, but the heartless wrath it inspired in so many of us — the same bloodthirst that led to the wars in the Middle East. We are still struggling as a nation to reconnect to our humanity. In 2003, RX Bandits explored these ideas with The Resignation by following the politics down to their emotional roots. No song on the album does so with more passion and eloquence than Overcome. This somber song seeks to tie a string around all that is unjust in our world, and as the Bandits draw that string tighter and tighter the musical energy crescendoes to an ultimate message of defiance in the face of hatred: "I'm not giving in."
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:02 am

Post by toolenduso »

Unforgettable

by Nat King Cole

from the album Unforgettable

Selected lyrics:
That's why, darling / It's incredible / That someone so unforgettable / Thinks that I am / Unforgettable too

The song that my wife and I had our first dance to at our wedding. The lyrics are simple, but very sweet. With Nat King Cole's silky crooning, the lazily swirling and dipping strings and the soft piano, this version of Unforgettable feels like a black and white photograph, like a memory of summer romance long ago. It really captures that for me, and it will always make me think of her.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:16 am

Post by schadd_ »

good
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:11 am

Post by toolenduso »

Swim to the Moon

by Between the Buried and Me

from the album The Great Misdirect

Selected lyrics:
Slide into the water / Become one with the sea / Life seems so much smaller / Swim to the moon

My favorite BTBAM song is also their longest. A lot of long metal songs I feel were simply extended so that they would be long, but this one — wow does this one really make itself work. So many parts of this song are sheer brilliance. The opening (on its own, about as long as many radio-edit singles) rises gradually from the core rhythm motif of the song into atmospheric guitars that ascends into deft instrumental tension-building up until it gets into the first lyrics. The lyrics, by the way, are largely inconsequential for me in this song. I know there are stories to all the songs on this album, but it's the music and the vocal delivery that I really care about. In this song, it's the rhythm that I really love. It took me a while to actually find it, because when listening to new music I think my brain automatically tries to delineate measures. But BTBAM often doesn't play that way; their rhythms are better understood as phrases than through measures. There's a ton more to talk about in this song too..let's see. There are some fantastic, carefree guitar soloes (the whole section running from 11:00-12:25 is fantastic). There's excellent rhythm guitar and bass work. There are fun sections where everyone plays these crisp, staccato beats together. There are some supremely heavy breakdowns (see 14:34, for example). There's chill acoustic bits and grand sing-along parts. And somehow, someway, they made it not only sound like it all belongs together, but they made it sound like it was the only logical choice for how the song could have been written. Excellent stuff.
Last edited by toolenduso on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:57 am

Post by Cyril »

funny story, this is my favorite BTBAM album but this might be my least favorite song on it. not that it's bad or weak or anything i just like all the others more
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:00 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 195, Cyril wrote:funny story, this is my favorite BTBAM album but this might be my least favorite song on it. not that it's bad or weak or anything i just like all the others more
even fossil genera?

i mean probably a big part of why i fell in love with the song to begin with was the length, but hey, that love has endured through the ages
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:00 am

Post by toolenduso »

(i dont dislike fossile genera, i just think it's the weakest track on the album)
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:10 am

Post by Cyril »

fossil genera is great, i love the intro and i love the last third and the metal in between is mostly pretty good too, it's a bit of a mess i guess but EHH
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:52 am

Post by toolenduso »

Spoon

by Dave Matthews Band

from the album Before These Crowded Streets

Selected lyrics:
Crosses crossed / Hung out like a wet rag / Forgive you, why? / You hung me out to dry

It's hard for me to describe why I like this song so much. Is it Carter Beauford's drumming, which is more subtle than usual but also very appropriate for the song and still manages to dig into my brain with the way it fills in selected blanks in all that empty space (especially the section starting at 3:50)? Is it Dave's frail, vulnerable singing? The brilliantly arranged instrumentation, where each instrument holds back and then shines all the brighter when they get their moment? I think it's the way all of these things add up. It's the intangible quality of mood; the song simply feels powerful and timeless to me.

Return to “General Discussion”