implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Poyzin's Mini Normal Review, June 2020

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:50 am

Post by implosion »

Poyzin wrote:Heya! This setup is based on a semi-open of my own design that was scheduled to run on my homesite, but was unable to due to a lack of players. I removed the randomness from the roles, as well as the flavor, but this is what the setup looks like at a bare bones level, and is also the version that I planned on running.

Town:
[1] Watcher Mason
[1] Follower Mason
[1] Neapolitan

[7] Vanilla

Mafia:
[1] 1x-Ninja Roleblocker
[1] 1x-Ninja Rolecop
[1] 1x-Ninja Goon

Spoiler: For context, this is what the semi-open looked like:
Town:
[1] Watcher Mason
[1] Follower Mason
[1] Neapolitan

[0-1] Visitor
[0-1] Chocolate

[4-7] Vanilla

Mafia:
[1] 1x-Ninja Roleblocker
[1] 1x-Ninja Rolecop
[1] 1x-Ninja Goon

[0-1] Traitor
Poyzin wrote:There's a lot of power on both sides, and the setup is pretty swingy at that. If we agree to tone down the power, that could be arranged. The flavor involved the town being caught in a conflict between the opposing masons and mafia, with the Neapolitan being the mediator that can potentially expose both groups (with a couple of false positives that may or may not exist to allow fakeclaiming). It would be ideal to keep the town's power within the masons, which was the original intent of the setup.
Last edited by implosion on Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:50 am

Post by implosion »

Primary: northsidegal
Secondary: Ircher
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:53 am

Post by Poyzin »

Fun stuff, thanks for the PT!

I'm available to discuss any modifications if y'all find any problems with the present setup.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:08 pm

Post by Ircher »

This looks close to balance, but scum have a bit too much power. Having two roles being masons with each other greatly increase their power since they can coordinate abilities and whatnot. The neapolitan is also pretty solid.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:48 pm

Post by Poyzin »

If it makes a difference, scum used to have 2x Ninja modifier that they could use among their team, but I don't believe that doing so is technically "normal" for all tenses and purposes. However, I took liberty and gave everybody a 1x-Ninja for flavor purposes.

https://smashboards.com/threads/midnigh ... m2.486900/

This was the original game, which was supposed to be played last summer but never ended up happening. Would you suggest removing the modifier from the Goon, or add in a Chocolate Townie for the benefit of town? I personally like the aesthetics of a full 1-shot ninja team (if that's even a thing) but I can see the untapped power in that, especially when the scumteam is already powerful without the modifiers.
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:51 pm

Post by Poyzin »

In post 4, Poyzin wrote:However, I took liberty and gave everybody a 1x-Ninja for flavor purposes.
EBWOP
and gave all of the scumteam a 1x-Ninja for flavor purposes, referring to the remake of this game, which is queued at my homesite. It's not final, and subject to change.
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Post by Poyzin »

Town:
[1] Watcher Mason
[1] Follower Mason
[1] Neapolitan

[7] Vanilla

Mafia:
[1] 1x-Ninja Roleblocker
[1] 1x-Ninja Rolecop
[1] Goon

This is the modified setup. The third 1x-Ninja modifier is only added to the Goon if a Town Visitor appears in the game; the problem was, I removed the chance of a Visitor and left in the 1x-Ninja. That actually makes a lot more sense.
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:01 pm

Post by Poyzin »

(I keep confusing the semi-open version and the open version and just assume that they're the same. They're not. Hopefully the confusion is cleared, there shouldn't have been 3 1x-Ninjas in this version, only two as long as the Visitor is removed.)
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:32 pm

Post by northsidegal »

i'm uncomfortable with the amount of power stacked onto so few roles

imagine the watcher mason has to claim day one, an occurrence that's really not that uncommon. where does that leave town?

ungated roleblocker + rolecop + kill is also a huge amount of PR hunting / disruption every night while all scum are alive
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:36 pm

Post by Poyzin »

Thank you for the response.

I am going to politely disagree with your first point; in most any game of mafia, the town PR could be put into a position where they need to claim D1 that would effectively doom town. As an example, in a game where the only PR is a town cop, yet they play poorly and find themselves at the end of a wagon, would it be the setup's fault for that? I do see the problem with a PR being outed early on which would give scum the advantage, but this situation can be extended to most games of mafia where town relies on a PR. Of course, you do have the final say, and I'd be willing to compromise with you to reduce the swing of this setup (because this setup's nature is to be swingy). I just disagree with the notion that the watcher mason claiming D1 makes the setup problematic because the same can be translated to any game where the most important role claims D1.

On the flipside, I do agree that there is a lot of power stacked onto just a handful of roles, which can definitely be problematic depending on one's perspective of power in mafia and how much game solving should be done at night. I can see high power on both sides leading to a problem, as it means that the loss of one mason or one mafioso can lead to a faction's downfall. This leads in to the benefits of limiting the presence of power roles for a more vanilla experience and forces players to rely on social strategy with a few sparse PRs thrown into the mix to help guide town in the right direction. (At the same time, I originally named this setup Midnight Ops with the intention of putting an emphasis on the night phases, and the power struggle between the warring masons and mafioso. 3 Town and 3 Scum night actions are naturally going to be hectic and are going to lead to aggressive hunting from both ends, but this is what I kept in mind when creating the setup and making it loosely balanced: "There is still going to be one kill a night. The game will move at the same pace, but the watcher and the follower will be working together to check players for actions and nighttime discussion and scumhunting. At the same time, the mafia, knowing that there are two investigative roles working in tandem, are given options to try to deceive and maneuver the investigations through their 1x-Ninja, and can shutdown the masons whenever they end up outting themselves." In the end, the benefits of the roleblock and the rolecop are largely based on how many PRs are left. A majority of the rolecop hits are going to be vt, and roleblocks on vts are functionally useless. The 1x-Ninja only affects the mason's results, meaning that in the unfortunate situation where all of the TPRs are killed and town takes out 1 or 2 of the mafia, the game becomes functionally vanilla on both sides as the rolecop/roleblock/ninja abilities are useless to a town of vts.

With THAT being said, I can see why you think the setup is scumsided, as an early mason death could mean tragedy for town. (I don't know if this is necessary), but would the setup be acceptable if the Roleblocker was even/odd night only? By doing this, scum would be less disruptive at night, giving the masons / neapolitan more room to operate.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 9, Poyzin wrote:As an example, in a game where the only PR is a town cop, yet they play poorly and find themselves at the end of a wagon, would it be the setup's fault for that?
arguably yes. in micro games this is sometimes avoidable, but in mini games it
is
, in my opinion, an instance of a weakness of a setup if a single persons stands as a crucial pillar of the setup.

an argument could be made that town is weaker if the strongest role in any setup claims day one, yes. the point i was attempting to make was not that town is just weaker (true in basically any setup), but that it swings the game to an unacceptable amount.

i didn't say that the setup was scumsided (although i do probably think that). my main problem with this setup is the amount of power stacked onto the masons. i honestly consider it unacceptable.

I'll elaborate a little more. I'm looking at this setup with three elements of setup design: balance, swing, and skew. You certainly already know what balance and swing are. Skew is the tendency for one faction to be able to make massive gains if they play well or get lucky. This is a rare example of a normal game which is skewed in
scum's
favor rather than towns, and
very heavily
at that. Scum don't even have to be perfect to almost entirely negate town's power – using a Ninja shot each night already renders the mason active abilities useless until Night 4 (most masons die before this point). Basically, I think that for town to make any gains with their PRs in this setup they would need to make exceptionally good shots AND scum would have to misplay, whereas I think that scum would see a lot of benefits even without perfect mechanical play. This isn't how setups tend to be balanced.

As for swing, I've already said how much I dislike the amount of power stacked onto the masons. A setup this swingy can just create a lot of potential avenues where something goes wrong early and the rest of the game is basically a foregone conclusion. Finally, balance wise, I do think that this is probably scumsided, although it's an incredibly high power setup on both sides. Ungated roleblocker and rolecop are both super high power for scum, you don't tend to see both of them in a single game. A watcher and masons in the same setup is generally not something that I'd want to allow even if the ninja shots basically negate it. Neapolitan is also incredibly anti-synergy with the masons because even if they're doing a good job of hiding themselves the neapolitan could out the masons and out themselves and basically single-handedly lose the game for town with a single claim.

It might seem like I'm focusing too much on these random ways that things could go wrong, and that that isn't really a fair way to look at things. To that I would say that this setup has a lot more ways that things could go wrong than most setups, and that at least one of them happening is basically a certainty.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:16 pm

Post by northsidegal »

if you really want to keep the idea of mason PRs then my suggestion is to lower power across the entire game

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 10, northsidegal wrote:Neapolitan is also incredibly anti-synergy with the masons because even if they're doing a good job of hiding themselves the neapolitan could out the masons and out themselves and basically single-handedly lose the game for town with a single claim.
(also, to clarify this – neapolitan + masons isn't
inherently
really bad in the same way that e.g. cop + doc, watcher + doc, or watcher + innocents is, but in this setup specifically it has incredible anti-synergy in a way that could sort of just end the game)

things fall apart
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:56 am

Post by Poyzin »

Alright. Thank you for the reply. I will admit that scum is able to get away with mistakes far more than town could. I think you are perfectly justified to look at different ways that things can go wrong. The Neapolitan unable to distinguish between the masons and the mafiosi was a deliberate design choice.

Spoiler: Mandatory "but..."
To your point about the Neapolitan checking a mason, the chance that their non-vanilla check is a mason is a 2/5 chance. At that point, they are more likely to hit scum, but this is being said under the pretext that the mason's played townie enough to not warrant being checked. From my (limited) experiences of playing with masons, the duo used their private conversation to talk about how to remain townread so that they wouldn't have to out themselves. When you have a masoner perpetually advocating for your towniness, the chance that you'll find yourself on the bottom of a lynch would be far lower than a typical PR who is playing bad, making the chance of this happening be much slimmer than normal.

I agree that while the PRs are alive, the scumteam can do some serious PR hunting with their rolecop and roleblock. Assuming that none of the TPRs are mislynched, there will be at least one TPR alive by D3 if the scumteam plays optimally and kills a PR every night. Yet, the rolecop and roleblock abilities become more and more useless whenever they kill a TPR. I've played in many games where the 3-person scumteam is a rb, rc, and goon, and town won their share of them even when there were three TPRs. Town PRs more often than not die before endgame. There's a good chance that the masons would have to cc the mafia when they try to claim to be the team, which would spell d-o-o-m for the masons. However, losing the masons does not equal losing the game, as the game becomes more or less vanilla after the masons die. I predict that the masons would catch two scum in an action or in a lie before they themselves are outed (because two would have to back up each other's mason cc), but it may be more realistic to say that they'll only catch one scum.

D1: Mislynch a vt
N1: NK a vt
D2: Roleblocker lynched after mason watched the kill
N2: Mason dies
D3: Mislynch a vt
N3: Mason dies

At this point, there are 2 scum left in a town of 7 with a neapolitan. This is an example of a suboptimal town play: they mislynched every day that they didn't have decisive evidence from a mason, and we can assume that scum would have figured out the other mason by now and killed them in the night. Now, scum has a goon and a rolecop in a town of 7, and the neapolitan is still alive and has checked three people, two if we say that they checked the mason N3 leading to a useless result. This is already a poor situation to be in for town, which can be considered punishment for mislynching D1 and D3. Yet, the game still isn't even in LyLo, Neapolitan has two vt clears, and there is still a reasonable chance for a town victory. Sure, scum didn't even play particularly well here, which I will agree with you that the setup in its current form is a bit scumsided, but victory from both sides is completely plausible, and I'm willing to work with you to reduce the power of the scumteam. I have some suggestions outlined below.

I'm of the personal opinion that scum being nailed by the mason team would be even more tragic than the mason d

If you're in charge, I'll trust your judgement. Would you accept the setup with an even-night roleblocker instead of an all-night roleblocker? (And to go further if an even-night roleblocker is implemented, would you add in an odd-night rolecop to replace the previous rolecop?)

using a Ninja shot each night already renders the mason active abilities useless until Night 4 (most masons die before this point)
Figured I'd mention, the first version of the setup that was posted here was made incorrectly. Only the roleblocker and the rolecop should have 1x-Ninja abilities, not the goon. In addendum, I intended for the 1x-Ninja to only apply to the specific action, not the team's actions. (i.e. if the roleblocker uses his Ninja shot, but the rolecop doesn't, then while the roleblock would be invisible, the rolecop and the nightkill would still be able to be tracked.)
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:59 am

Post by Poyzin »

On a different topic, would a Tracker Mason + Voyeur Mason be more powerful or less powerful than a Watcher Mason + Follower Mason?
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:06 am

Post by Poyzin »

In post 13, Poyzin wrote:making the chance of this happening be much slimmer than normal.
To clarify, while I view the chance is much slimmer than normal, it is still very well a chance, and I think that your worry about the Neapolitan checking and outing a mason is a perfectly valid, and could very well happen. Yet, the Neapolitan should still know that by claiming a non-vanilla result on a player, they could potentially screw over their faction by outing a mason, which means that the Neapolitan has to do some serious planning so that their actions don't backfire resulting in a town loss.

In the end, the Neapolitan probably has the hardest job out of any of the roles. Scum doesn't need to strategize as much as the Neapolitan does, which goes back to the setup being more scumsided if the Neapolitan acts like a liability and outs the mason. I predict that the Neapolitan would probably just keep their results to themselves to save the masons, but you never know.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:21 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 14, Poyzin wrote:On a different topic, would a Tracker Mason + Voyeur Mason be more powerful or less powerful than a Watcher Mason + Follower Mason?
Watcher is a really strong role for town, especially when they have a mason role to check. On the flipside, Voyeur is generally considered a pretty weak role as it can only confirm what happened and not so much who did what. So Tracker + Voyeur would be much weaker than Watcher + Follower.

My main suggestion would be that you significantly tone down the power of scum to only having a single role. It is actually a bit uncommon for scum to have multiple power roles in a mini normal. Aside from that, you'll likely need to replace the watcher with something else due to the mason interaction.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 am

Post by Ircher »

Also, one thing you'll learn as you design and run setups is that towns tend to be really bad at setup-speccing and playing their roles optimally. In the case of the Neapolitan, I probably would hold onto the results for the while even with a non-VT check because Neapolitan is really a role suited for getting innos, not guilties, but my point is that you cannot really predict what a player will do ahead of time, and more times than not, they'll amaze you.
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:35 am

Post by Poyzin »

In post 16, Ircher wrote:My main suggestion would be that you significantly tone down the power of scum to only having a single role. It is actually a bit uncommon for scum to have multiple power roles in a mini normal. Aside from that, you'll likely need to replace the watcher with something else due to the mason interaction.
To that, would you accept an odd-night rolecop and an even-night roleblocker (while keeping the 1x-Ninja)?

Also, what do you refer to about the "mason interaction"?
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:47 am

Post by Ircher »

There are certain roles that when paired with a town watcher leads to somewhat broken (for town) interactions. For instance, if you have an IC that forcibly activated day 1, scum are almost always going to shoot the IC. The issue is that if there is a watcher in the game, the watcher has every reason in the world to watch that slot, so town basically gets a free scum lynch. Scum would feel horribly cheated in that instance and rightfully so. A similar thing could occur in this setup in that the Watcher mason has zero reason not to watch their mason buddy. If they are both forced to claim to confirm themselves, scum have to guess which one to kill (assuming the masons don't full claim and only claim the mason part of their role). Yes, ninja helps negate it, but it is still an awful interaction that would make many people mad at you post-game if it occurred.
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:55 am

Post by Poyzin »

In post 19, Ircher wrote:If they are both forced to claim to confirm themselves, scum have to guess which one to kill (assuming the masons don't full claim and only claim the mason part of their role).
This is fair enough, the two could easily lie about which is the watcher and who is the follower and nail scum at the cost of a mason. Would you suggest a Tracker and Voyeur combo then?
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:30 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 13, Poyzin wrote: I agree that while the PRs are alive, the scumteam can do some serious PR hunting with their rolecop and roleblock. Assuming that none of the TPRs are mislynched, there will be at least one TPR alive by D3 if the scumteam plays optimally and kills a PR every night. Yet, the rolecop and roleblock abilities become more and more useless whenever they kill a TPR. I've played in many games where the 3-person scumteam is a rb, rc, and goon, and town won their share of them even when there were three TPRs. Town PRs more often than not die before endgame. There's a good chance that the masons would have to cc the mafia when they try to claim to be the team, which would spell d-o-o-m for the masons. However, losing the masons does not equal losing the game, as the game becomes more or less vanilla after the masons die.
The game becoming vanilla isn't really a balancing factor in town's favor. What I mean by that is that it isn't some feedback mechanism as you seem to think that it is. Yes, the scum abilities become useless once all TPRs are dead, but as far as I can tell, there is
no
role that would retain its use for scum after all TPRs are dead (barring a scum vigilante or something, which is not allowed per Normal guidelines).
D1: Mislynch a vt
N1: NK a vt
D2: Roleblocker lynched after mason watched the kill
N2: Mason dies
D3: Mislynch a vt
N3: Mason dies
The sequence of events you have here makes me think that you might think that scum can use any actions they have as well as perform the kill in the same night (given that you see the roleblocker as performing the kill n1). This is not the case – unless scum have the Multitasking modifier, they can perform only one action per night. Just in case you weren't aware – if you were, just ignore me.
If you're in charge, I'll trust your judgement. Would you accept the setup with an even-night roleblocker instead of an all-night roleblocker? (And to go further if an even-night roleblocker is implemented, would you add in an odd-night rolecop to replace the previous rolecop?)
I'm sorry, but I'm not accepting a setup with a Mason Watcher. That needs to be changed. Tracker/Voyeur is a step in the right direction – from there I would still want scum toned down (I agree with Ircher that sticking to only a single scum PR is probably the way to go) and I would still
prefer
that town power be spread out a bit more, but that might not be strictly
necessary

I really am sorry with how much I'm making you chop up your original setup. As reviewers I think we have a responsibility to try to stick close to your vision for what your setup should be, but we also have perhaps an even more important responsibility to the players of this game, and I can't in good conscience pass it with the aspects that I've talked about still being in the setup.
using a Ninja shot each night already renders the mason active abilities useless until Night 4 (most masons die before this point)
Figured I'd mention, the first version of the setup that was posted here was made incorrectly. Only the roleblocker and the rolecop should have 1x-Ninja abilities, not the goon. In addendum, I intended for the 1x-Ninja to only apply to the specific action, not the team's actions. (i.e. if the roleblocker uses his Ninja shot, but the rolecop doesn't, then while the roleblock would be invisible, the rolecop and the nightkill would still be able to be tracked.)
Good, that's how Ninjas work as per Normal guidelines.

things fall apart
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:05 am

Post by Poyzin »

Town:
[1] Tracker Mason
[1] Voyeur Mason
[1] Neapolitan

[7] Vanilla

Mafia:
[1] 1x-Ninja Even-Night Roleblocker
[1] 1x-Ninja Odd-Night Rolecop
[1] Goon
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 am

Post by Poyzin »

Alternatively,

Town:
[1] Tracker Mason
[1] Voyeur Mason
[1] Neapolitan

[7] Vanilla

Mafia:
[1] Roleblocker
[1] 1x-Ninja Goon
[1] 1x-Ninja Goon
Poyzin
Poyzin
Goon
Poyzin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:07 am

Post by Poyzin »

(Tbf the second one looks a lot better than I thought it would, even if I didn't want to get rid of the rolecop).

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”