MafiaScum Idol Season 1 (And the winner is...)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:10 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

Jesus Christ super star is literally called a rock opera...

I'm wondering about Avril Lavigne. Or some sad bands from Manchester.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:13 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 100, Bellaphant wrote:I'm wondering about Avril Lavigne.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:34 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

I believe Avril Lavigne is considered pop rock or alt rock so I’d probably accept it :)
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:56 pm

Post by Mina »

Ugh, every time I try to record myself singing above a whisper, my neighbours' footsteps suddenly get louder. This is terrible, particularly when the genre is rock.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:02 pm

Post by Mina »

(But on the plus side, time for my go-to karaoke song!)
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Listening through and these are fantastic! My background track seems to have shifted exactly 2 beats off and I have no clue how that happened :S It actually still worked out rather well though. And I'm so glad you liked the "God I wish I was special" bit. I was really worried that wouldn't land!

Thanks for the amazing feedback! I appreciate it, and look forward to sending stuff in for you to enjoy!
I store such a high portion of my stress in my jaws by clenching them literally all day unless I'm consciously not, like to the point that I have to literally pry my jaw open sometimes, and literally crack it into movement in the mornings. What I'm saying is that I'll work on opening my mouth more, but that might be an uphill battle!
In post 61, Bellaphant wrote:Ari is just on brand it hurts.
Haha thanks Bella!
I do try to be genuinely me whenever possible.

Going through these, and they are all amazing, but Holy Shit Flubber! You are def acing the Rock round, and probably anything else that comes along!
Fantastic!

Also, Bella, I love that snog and you destroyed it! Well done my friend!

I couldn't get yours to play, NoPowerOverMe, which is a shame. I hope I can hear your next one!

Haschel, I unironically love Barbershop Quartets and wanted to be in one so badly as a young boy! I had weird dreams. It's fine.
What I'm saying is that was awesome!

And Mina, holy shit!
You're coming to Karaoke with me next time I go! For real!!
Like, once singing and dancing in public isn't illegal that is...
*grumbles in footloose*
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:57 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Also, I think I've picked my song for next round, though we'll see if I can pull it off as well as I think I can or not.
- Jingle
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:23 pm

Post by Mina »

Ari, yes!!! I'd be 1000% in. I've almost forgotten what social interaction feels like nowadays.

(The "I wish I was special" line was a gut punch, you delivered it with so much emotion.)
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:04 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Hey guys.

As I said yesterday, me not wanting to participate as part of the competition anymore doesn't mean I want to leave this behind entirely. Singing is one of my hobbies after all, and I still love to share a song or two over the course of the competition - I just don't want to feel the pressure anymore that I'm putting myself under. And for those that remember how it went in Song Contest: yes, I will therefore also listen to your auditions and recordings. Only seems fair.
So picking a Rock song wasn't easy. After all I don't have a rock voice, I don't have a raw edge on my voice. I decided to go with We Will Rock You and give it my own twist trying to sound more... inspirational? I wanted to do Another One Bites The Dust first and try sticking with the rock style, but abandoned that when I found out I struggled with the transitions from chorus to refrain.

Good luck to everyone else involved! Rooting for whoever sang Never Gonna Give You Up - please sing Baby Shark next! :D

Here's my 'entry': https://voicespice.com/Player.aspx?c=p& ... wg8QCgzY2w
Currently away from site for indeterminate time (except for Song Contest)
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:46 am

Post by toolenduso »

Yeah, I really miss going out to karaoke with friends :cry:
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Ugh hard same!!!

Also viz your song was lovely!!!
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:05 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Here are my opinions on your auditions:
toolenduso:
Your voice has so much potential! It's a shame that the recording on itself has echo/lag issues, like Malkon pointed out. One tip I'd give is: your voice doesn't need a 'tryhard' mode. This song is made to, umm, exaggerate, is that the right word? Anyways, I feel like if you wouldn't try so hard you would sound much smoother. This wouldn't add up for the next round 'rock' though.
8/10

Aristophanes:
I have some mixed feelings about this. Perhaps watching the video made it feel like you were being kinda lazy about it. That's not the case obviously; closing my eyes, I can hear some of the passion! Furthermore, maybe this is because I haven't heard this song before, but it felt boring as time progressed. Again, this probably is the song's fault, not yours. I'm seeking for a bit of variation, and hopefully the rock theme can bring that out of you.
6/10

flubbernugget:
If this was a competition about who has the most impressive vocal range, you'd win this by a mile! A pitfall that I felt you fell in a few times is that high notes can sound like screaming. Even though you can hit the high notes, to me your voice truly shone on the lower and longer notes. But still, you can hit notes others can't! Rock is a category right up your alley, and it in some way does allow for 'scream singing'.
8.5/10

bellaphant:
So does this have potential to hit a big crowd? I'm afraid that's a no. But can you sing? Yes you can! Like some others, this might be equipmental issues, but it sounds as if you're trying to make the end of the song rather than sing the song and see where it ends. It sounds too... robotic? I feel like I sounded like a robot in my recordings, so that might give you a clearer idea of what I'm trying to say. I'm very interested in what to expect from you for the rock genre!
6.5/10

Klick:
Rick rolled! I heard recently that Rick Astley got publicly rickrolled. But that's for another story. Your voice shines in the higher echelons, but you have to make sure you make those notes. You were off sometimes. Your pronunciation: spot on! It's also a nice experience to hear this song in a higher range! Rock seems like it'll be a tough challenge, but good luck to you!
7/10

NoPowerOverMe:
Are you Jim Henson? Just kidding, but it was my first thought, albeit derpy. The beginning was promising, but about halfway through I kinda lost it and it sounded almost as if you were totally off. Luckily you picked it up later on! Your voice fits well only with a small amount of songs I think, but the songs it would fit with, it will work, I'm sure! Something like You Shook Me All Night Long? If you can get that raw edge, of course. Unfortunately, I think this song... wasn't the best choice. But hey, it's only an audition!
6.5/10

Haschel Cedricson:
So the fact you're singing with multiple versions of your own shows you have knowledge of the art of singing. It sounds like one of those 60's/70's barbershop quartets. I'm wondering if you're going with Bohemian Rhapsody next since its opening is also multiple versions of Freddie. For this particular recording, I can't judge your talent well enough since it's only a minute and you're not singing 'alone' as in 'one voice'. Hopefully I get to see more of that from you in the future!
7.5/10

T-Bone:
So I want to say first that you have a nice tone to your voice, and there are many songs that suit you. But this is, like, totally opposite of what would work for you, in my opinion. It's a bit of a shame the first round's theme is rock, because I would love to hear some other genres from you, like country or ballads. This unfortunately doesn't score too high, but let it be clear that doesn't mean at all that you can't score much higher!
5.5/10

Davsto:
More Radiohead! I agree with what Malkon said about you that your soft approach is unique, especially for a song like this. I would also die to see you play more hardcore for the rock genre. It could be far away from your comfort zone, but it's something I'd be interested in hearing if it works for you! For future rounds, I'd hope to see - as cheesy as it might sound - an Ed Sheeran song. You dare that?
6.5/10

lilith2013:
This is a typical musical voice! I don't know if that's your thing, but if you like acting, I'd say give that a shot! Your vocal range is also excellent for many songs. Your high notes are impeccable, but the lower notes can use some tinkering. I'd totally want you to sing My Heart Will Go On someday!
8.5/10

Mina:
You have a very pretty voice! I don't know this song all too well, so I'm probably wrong but it sounded out of tune, but it's probably how the song was written. Try to open up a bit more when you're singing: you have a stunning voice and so much potential! I hope you can show us more the more comfortable you get with singing for a dozen of us! Here's some encouragement:
8/10

Not giving out any sub-par scores yet, since this is most likely a big step to overcome for some of you, but I might give out some fours or fives if I think you can do better for next round. Overall, I'd say this is so well done from all of you guys! Most of you haven't reached your prime yet, so hopefully that's to come!
Good luck and have fun! :D
Last edited by vizIIsto on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel
Ariel
none please
edited 449 times in total
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:20 pm

Post by Ariel »

Hi, I just wanted to say that I admire the confidence of everyone that inned and think it's cool that so many people did!
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:42 am

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 111, vizIIsto wrote:Not giving out any sub-par scores yet, since this is most likely a big step to overcome for some of you, but I might give out some fours or fives if I think you can do better for next round. Overall, I'd say this is so well done from all of you guys! Most of you haven't reached your prime yet, so hopefully that's to come!
Good luck and have fun! :D
Just a reminder this is largely meant to be a positive experience <3 I'm going to ask that we leave the judging to the judge. I do not want this to turn into a negative experience for anyone. It's a HUGE deal to participate in one of these and I was very deliberate in not bringing on other judges to this.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:54 am

Post by vizIIsto »

I will suicide myself from this forum. Fuck you Malkon
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:01 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Viz, I appreciated the feedback. For the record, I am open to any and all critiques.

That said, I respect Malkon's decision here and like the positivity he is bringing to this!
- Jingle
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:16 am

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 114, vizIIsto wrote:I will suicide myself from this forum. Fuck you Malkon
I believe I've been extremely kind to you entering this contest. Your singing was lovely, you have amazing taste in music and I was excited to hear how you would do in this contest. I am very sad you dropped out and I appreciate you taking time to invest into this. It's a very scary experience to put yourself out there to be judged and to be critiqued.

I do apologize if something I've said has made you upset with me, that was not my intention. My intention is to try to help foster a positive experience for those who are participating.

I've been in many contests over the years where the judges were harsh or critiqued the wrong aspects or just straight up were assholes to the contestants and it's a very...awful feeling and a very awful place to be in as someone who enters. I did not want to bring that negative energy or environment into MS Idol and just wanted it to be a fun, lighthearted contest where we showcase the great talent MS has and I think so far we've really begun to do that :)

It's not my intent to break down or degrade anyone who chose to put themselves out there to participate in this. It was also not my intent to shut you down or feel that you cannot be involved, I just would prefer if we don't make this a negative environment for those participating :(

You can lash out at me all you want, I can take it, but I would prefer it if we try to just foster positivity amongst a really negative time in the world right now. That's all I wanted this contest to be.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:17 am

Post by Klick »

You're doing great Malkon.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:20 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 117, Klick wrote:You're doing great Malkon.
- Jingle
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:36 am

Post by Davsto »

On your side here Malkon. viz was definitely out of line to give that response to you as you gave a very polite and understandable response, and you're doing great with this.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:38 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Agree to the above.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:57 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Same here
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:05 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Anyway, I'm going to shift this back to the competition if that's alright.

I've recorded and am uploading my next submission now. It's pretty okay imo. A couple parts could definitely be better and I really lack the Rock edge in my vocals, but so be it. I was far more apprehensive recording this time, oddly enough and I really can't bring myself to rerecord right now so even with an especially rough ending it's probably the finished product.

That said, Malkon, it's still early in this season, but I really appreciate you hosting and being so positive!
I've wanted to make videos where I sing for Youtube for a long time now. Like years. And I think this is going to give me the confidence to get over my worries about it! So thank you in advance, because this is a lot of fun and it's pushing me past a barrier I've been aware of for a long time now!
- Jingle
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:06 am

Post by T-Bone »

I'm picking a risky song, but ah well, nothing ventured nothing gained.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:10 am

Post by Klick »

I'm picking another meme but this time it's in range!

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”