Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2875 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:22 am

Post by Auro »

Anyway, I'm not seeking to argue. <3 to my scumbuddies who were reassuring and awesome in our PT!
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2876 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:26 am

Post by Auro »

In post 2873, Albert B. Rampage wrote:Could Vi have NK'd mafia or was it only town players targeted?
Has to have been just town, otherwise it's an absolutely unfair penalty for scum playing in certain ways. Also, incentivizes people to try and figure out Vi's method of choosing the kill, and try gaming it (it's inferrable to some degree that it involved posting, so you could have different suspects behave in different ways including lurking out, posting too much, etc and utilize the extra kill)

Hmm in that sense, town could've actually used this as a soft cop check had they figured out the mechanism anyway. That would've been cool to see.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2877 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:39 am

Post by Starbuck »

Maybe not 201, probably like 195 because I'm not discounting endgame posts, but still same logic applies.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #2878 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:39 am

Post by Hoopla »

In post 2872, Auro wrote:A large portion of which came around the period of time I got executed and post-execution wifom which I won't apologize for. :P and at the same time getting dinged for "not performing as I usually do".
as scum you have the right to shit up the thread in any way you see fit.

it is one of the perks;)
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2879 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:40 am

Post by Starbuck »

You gotta say, though, for random kills those were spot on. How mad was the mafia that I was basically confirmed after Porkens died?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2880 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:41 am

Post by Vi »

In post 2856, Albert B. Rampage wrote:Agreed 100%. Only Vi could have assembled this many great players like Thanks brought together the infinity stones in Infinity War.
Please. I only grabbed the last four players, the "newbies" who've only been on the site for four years or fewer.
Hoopla 2857 wrote:his predecessor in llamarble also was a great town influence. i wonder what happened to him? vi?
As far as I know workplace responsibilities took over his life.
Auro 2876 wrote:Also, incentivizes people to try and figure out Vi's method of choosing the kill, and try gaming it (it's inferrable to some degree that it involved posting, so you could have different suspects behave in different ways including lurking out, posting too much, etc and utilize the extra kill)

Hmm in that sense, town could've actually used this as a soft cop check had they figured out the mechanism anyway. That would've been cool to see.
Considering that no one was even close to figuring it out - and the prevailing theories were "lol Vi's literally adjusting balance on the fly" and %-based chances - I think it's important to keep in mind how opaque this sort of thing is to people who are in the middle of a stressful game that is all about not trusting people to begin with. This one is especially so because this particular mechanic is extremely difficult to piece together after the fact, since you need contemporary post counts.
[edited: vote -> post]

On a strict need-to-know level the only people who needed to know that these weren't real Mafia kills at all were members of the Mafia. The dog steadily refusing to die (in the grand Sixty tradition) turned it into a community puzzle-solving game, considering I had to tell the dog enough information to encourage them not to be a hero D1/N1.

WRT the other private topics - Everyone's been active enough. If anyone has any objections to me releasing things without making edits, please let me know in the next 12 hours. This includes the dead thread, the Mafia thread, and the spectator thread. I'm unsure whether to release the review thread.
Last edited by Vi on Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2881 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:48 am

Post by Vi »

In post 2872, Auro wrote:A large portion of which came around the period of time I got executed and post-execution wifom which I won't apologize for. :P and at the same time getting dinged for "not performing as I usually do".
For what it's worth the Twilight period D1 was what pushed the N1 kill to ABR, and probably also the N2 kill to Porkens.

I mention this in the dead thread but at one point there was a theory that there was some trickery around how there were long Twilights D1, D2, and D3. Which... no, you all just happen to be most active around frigging midnight (D1 and D3) or the middle of the workday (D2). I hauled my bitter ass out of bed at three in the morning to put the lock on D1.
Starbuck 2879 wrote:You gotta say, though, for random kills those were spot on. How mad was the mafia that I was basically confirmed after Porkens died?
You were arguably confirmed when farside died, if not when you claimed.
Hoopla 2878 wrote:
as scum you have the right to shit up the thread in any way you see fit.

it is one of the perks;)
I suppose I should point out with mixed feelings that spreading conspiracy theories in my games seems like more of a viable anti-Town move than usual. After all, there tends to be A conspiracy (aside from the usual informed minority one). This game was a confusing morass of smoke and mirrors purely because of what the
Town
was pushing.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2882 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:55 am

Post by Auro »

In post 2880, Vi wrote:Considering that no one was even close to figuring it out - and the prevailing theories were "lol Vi's literally adjusting balance on the fly" and %-based chances - I think it's important to keep in mind how opaque this sort of thing is to people who are in the middle of a stressful game that is all about not trusting people to begin with. This one is especially so because this particular mechanic is extremely difficult to piece together after the fact, since you need contemporary vote counts.
Definitely. My closest guess was "top poster" but I think you killed the bottom poster on some night so I didn't figure out it was two conditions :P I'd like to imagine in some universe town did try to figure it out lol.

@VPB, I'm curious about the decision to NK Vi, since it seemed very beneficial to us that Vi performed kills. Was there something I missed?
CantHateAPuppy
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2883 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:57 am

Post by CantHateAPuppy »

Great game, thanks for hosting vi! :)

Had a really fun time, was honored to be invited even if my play wasn't as good as others <_< Can't believe ABR nailed two scum on day 1 lmao. Could've gone very differently!

Was really hoping there was some sort of mega catastrophe too, I was so sure vi had something extra up her sleeves
CantHateAPuppy
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2884 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:58 am

Post by CantHateAPuppy »

Also really neat how the post-count-kill rule ended up making so many "good" kills that no one believes they weren't being chosen by scum, lol
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2885 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:59 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

In post 2883, CantHateAPuppy wrote:Can't believe ABR nailed two scum on day 1 lmao. Could've gone very differently!
Yeah! Thanks for the props!
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
CantHateAPuppy
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2886 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:14 am

Post by CantHateAPuppy »

You played great :D

Just curious, don't wanna start any arguments but... How would anyone else have played my role? Can read my role text now. O it pretty obviously screamed "don't die or scum control their nightkill"

Didn't want to claim until there was an obvious game-solving moment, which three trackers claims looked like it. But five trackers lmao

Since VPB targeted Vi for a kill twice, I take it he wanted to trigger the calamity and I was right not to mention a kill aimed at me would break the cycle. Someone (Blair? UT?) Asked the obvious question of what would happen if I had been killed and I made up some answer that should not have passed scrutiny

Otherwise I trickled my claim so 1) I would avoid saying "kill me! Kill me! Kill me!" And 2) because it was really fun
CantHateAPuppy
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2887 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:17 am

Post by CantHateAPuppy »

Also, vi , no wonder this game stressed you out, your vktecounts are the most beautifully detailed of any host ive ever played for
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2888 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:20 am

Post by Starbuck »

Cuteposting ftw.

And eff all y'all who tried to make the cute alliance seem scummy, btw.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #2889 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:28 am

Post by Nahdia »

There's always a concern when a game is designed around a single role that they'll just end up dying in the first couple phases and it'll all be kind of a letdown. But in this case the game very much revolved around the role. So that was satisfying to see, though I can understand how it made things a bit confusing for the uninformed players. When reviewing we figured the impact your role had on the game would likely be some midpoint between doing almost nothing at all and... what actually happened.

I think the way you framed your claim as a revelation was clever, Puppy, though I imagine a very mechanically oriented scumplayer would have made short work of sorting out what was really happening.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2890 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:42 am

Post by VP Baltar »

In post 2879, Starbuck wrote:You gotta say, though, for random kills those were spot on. How mad was the mafia that I was basically confirmed after Porkens died?
Hahaha, it was not helpful!
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2891 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:50 am

Post by VP Baltar »

In post 2882, Auro wrote:@VPB, I'm curious about the decision to NK Vi, since it seemed very beneficial to us that Vi performed kills. Was there something I missed?
You mean the second time?

My thinking was that I couldn't actually "track" anyone and get a result, so I needed a neutral party that I could know the result from without actually knowing the result. I also didn't want to be seen targeting a VT because I would then have to say they didn't move, this confirming them -- a potentially bad move if they made it to Xylo.

If I had actually had my brain on this game and not on work, I should have publicly said I targeted GC and had no result. I should have figured out that I would always have no action because I was being blocked every night. That is my error, and it cost us the game. Sorry!
YOUR AD HERE

Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2892 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:53 am

Post by Starbuck »

One more thing @ABR, thank you for the false positive statement. I feel like I get that so much and it's never anything I've ever been able to shake in all these years of playing.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2893 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:06 am

Post by Porkens »

I am sorry farside didn’t have a good time though :(
CantHateAPuppy
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2894 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:08 am

Post by CantHateAPuppy »

In post 2889, Nahdia wrote:I think the way you framed your claim as a revelation was clever, Puppy, though I imagine a very mechanically oriented scumplayer would have made short work of sorting out what was really happening.
This is what I was worried about, as I let more out and no one made the right inferences I decided not to worry about it. Scum didn't kill me so I suppose it all worked out.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2895 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:49 am

Post by Starbuck »

In post 2893, Porkens wrote:I am sorry farside didn’t have a good time though :(
I know. I ever opened my role PM and this was me.

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2896 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:00 am

Post by Vi »

In post 2888, Starbuck wrote:Cuteposting ftw.
One last sample
CantHateAPuppy
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
CantHateAPuppy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2897 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:01 am

Post by CantHateAPuppy »

Do we get dead PTs
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2898 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:22 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 2894, CantHateAPuppy wrote:
In post 2889, Nahdia wrote:I think the way you framed your claim as a revelation was clever, Puppy, though I imagine a very mechanically oriented scumplayer would have made short work of sorting out what was really happening.
This is what I was worried about, as I let more out and no one made the right inferences I decided not to worry about it. Scum didn't kill me so I suppose it all worked out.
I wasn't trying to give scum any help, but I was *shocked* that they never tried to target you
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2899 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:36 am

Post by VP Baltar »

In post 2898, Untrod Tripod wrote:
In post 2894, CantHateAPuppy wrote:
I wasn't trying to give scum any help, but I was *shocked* that they never tried to target you
It was considered, but also the non scum directed kills helped cover for our trackers. It was a tricky balance by the time it was just kmd and I
YOUR AD HERE

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”