NPOM's Top 110 Songs

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

NPOM's Top 110 Songs

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:18 pm

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

In no particular order, in groups of 5.
Santa Fe from Newsies(film)(1992) *****

-An underappreciated broadway number because the film was considered a flop, It was skipped over in the broadway version for some reason. Little known fact, the singer is Christan Bale, famous from the Batman Trilogy from Christopher Nolan.
Hero by Enrique Inglesies(2001)**

-A very well thought out balad with a lot of heart. A little over sentimental, maybe, but still very good.
One Night Only from Dreamgirls(broadway)(1981)****

-Has become something of a standard, one of the most popular songs from Dreamgirls. Who wouldn't like a one night stand once in awhile?
Alone by Heart(1987)*

-We all feel a little needy sometimes. Nice ballad with a good piano background.
Making Love Out Of Nothing At All by Air Supply(1983)**

-One of the great 80s power ballads. Okay there were a lot of great 80s power ballads but this is one of the best of the lot. A lot of ambiguity that makes you think and a great orchestration.
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:50 pm

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

Jessie's Girl(1981) by Rick Springfield****

-One of the most recognized 80s tunes, in fact I believe it's guitar riff has been called on of the most recognized of all time. Why can't I find a woman like that?

On My Own(1980) from Les Miserables(Broadway)***

-Of modern Broadway musicals, this is probably one of the top 5 songs, in my opinion. Great piano counterpoint and Lea Solonga sparked her career with this one song. Teenage girls everywhere love this as an audition piece.

Listen to your Heart(1988) by Roxette*

-Yeah it may not be considered great by some, but it's one of my favorite. The DHT cover is also very good, albeit at a slower pace.

Take It On The Run(1981) By REO Speedwagon**

-It really sucks to have a girlfriend who won't stay at home all the time and goes on dates with other guys. Why not just get another girlfriend.

Faithfully(1983) by Journey*****

-This is literally not just one of the great power ballads of all time, but it's one of the great rock songs of all time period. It hits all the right tones
and anyone who doesn't feel feel a pitter patt in their heart is a robot.
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:22 pm

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

Little Rock(1994) by Colin Raye(****)

-Heartfelt country ballad that touches on the point that none of us are perfect and we all make mistakes in life. Has some Christian overtones, but hey, I'm not Christian and even I can appreciate the greatness of the song.

Come What May(2001) from Moulin Rouge(film)(**)

-Sung fantastically by Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman, two individuals who are mainly known as actors. This is a song that should be heard more on the radio, in my opinion.

...Baby One More Time(1998) by Britney Spears(***)

-Bubble gum pop at it's best, this is the song that launched Spears career, although it ended too shortly thanks to poor parental management and bad relationship choices. The schoolgirl music video is pretty iconic at this point, as well.

Girls Just Want To Have Fun(1983) by Cindi Lauper(*)

-Okay so maybe I am throwing "iconic" around a little to often but this is really an iconic feminist '80s mantra. Has aged well, especially since the #metoo movement.

Smooth Criminal(1988) by Michael Jackson(*****)

-From "Bad", one of the last albums before MJ's career was overtaken by scandal, this song still shows his appreciation and exuberation for music and pop. Even with the upbeat tempo, the song hits a serious note as the subject Annie is found dead in hotel room. MJ first performed the moonwalk in this music video.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:40 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 0, NoPowerOverMe wrote:Hero by Enrique Inglesies(2001)**
i like this song
In post 0, NoPowerOverMe wrote:One Night Only from Dreamgirls(broadway)(1981)****
good !
In post 1, NoPowerOverMe wrote:-Of modern Broadway musicals, this is probably one of the top 5 songs, in my opinion. Great piano counterpoint and Lea Solonga sparked her career with this one song. Teenage girls everywhere love this as an audition piece.
looooooooooove lea
In post 1, NoPowerOverMe wrote:-Yeah it may not be considered great by some, but it's one of my favorite. The DHT cover is also very good, albeit at a slower pace.
i consider it great
In post 1, NoPowerOverMe wrote:-It really sucks to have a girlfriend who won't stay at home all the time and goes on dates with other guys. Why not just get another girlfriend.
apart from the whole pandemic situation i would like for girlfriends to be able to Go Out in general
In post 2, NoPowerOverMe wrote:...Baby One More Time(1998) by Britney Spears(***)
good
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:46 am

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

Thanks for your feedback, looks like we have some simlar taste in music!

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen(1975)*****

-The official car head jamming song, thanks to "Wayne's World." If you like this, I also recommend the Muppets cover.

7 Years by Lukas Graham(2015)*

-Aside from me wondering if the composer really drank and smoked weed at 11 years old, this is a beautiful song. How Time
magazine named this one of the worst songs of the year I have no idea.

Summer Nights from Grease(broadway)(1972)**

-Tell me more! Tell me more! Was originally written for the broadway musical although John Trovlta and Oliva Newton John's version
is the definitive version of the song. My wife dislikes the Sandy character but this is still a classic.

When Doves Cry by Prince(1984)****

-Prince's best known and best written piece, great anti-violence song that could also be construed as an anti-war song. Make love
not war!

I Dreamed A Dream from Les Miserables(Broadway)(1980)***

-Maybe not the best known song from Les Miserables until Susan Boyle made it famous with her Britian's Got Talent audition piece.
We didn't know what we were missing, it's a truly bittersweet look back at love and the consequences of failed romance.
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:07 am

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

Axel F from Beverly Hills Cop(1984)***

-Great hip hop instrumental piece. Heavy on the synthesizer, but the music video makes no apologies on this.

God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood(1984)****

Maybe not a politically correct song in the BLM era, but hey I'm a patriotic guy and I'm not going to feel bad about it. Also may not mean alot if you're not american, but what the hey.

If You Leave by OMD(1986)**

A fun pop romantic song, just fun to listen to.

Jack and Diane by John Mellencamp(1982)*****

A little ditty, about Jack and Diane, two American kids growing up in the heart land. Very memorable 80s song.

Love You Like A Love Song by Selena Gomez and the Scene(2011)*

One of Gomez' first hits after a breakout acting career as a teenager on Disney's Wizards of Waverly Place. She uses a sultry seductive voice to show she's no longer a little kid.
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:47 pm

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

My Life Would Suck Without You by Kelly Clarkson

-Pretty much bubble gum pop, but it's good bubble gum pop. I like songs that don't try do be more than what they are.

Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi

-A great mash up of classic heavy metal and western. A lot deeper than most heavey metal which tends to be about
girls and drugs.

Hodling Out for A Hero by Bonni Tyler

-Kind of like the perfect anti-feminist song. It's okay for men to be men and for women to love them.

Theme from Superman by John Williams(from Superman: The Movie(film))

-One of the most famous opening credits and film themes in movie history, and rightly so. The song makes you
feel like jumping up and flying.

The Rose by Bette Midler

-One of the most memorable melodies that nobody knows what it is. Perfectly simple, yet elegant and full of soul.

Return to “General Discussion”