Song Contest 156 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:47 am

Post by Davsto »

yeah i went for 120 shrines (without guide as much as possible bc i really enjoyed just trekking every bit of the map - i missed about 12 in the end and used a guide for them), and for korok seeds I went for just as many as I found along the way. The seeds are really fun as devices to enhance general exploration of other things - seeing something out of place or eye-catching and deviating from your path to check it out - but I wouldn't experience much joy from actively looking just for them, especially not with getting all 900 being the goal in mind.
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:36 am

Post by MiniDeathStar »

I keep getting cut and having my country taken :(
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:46 am

Post by tris »

In post 76, MiniDeathStar wrote:I keep getting cut and having my country taken :(
if that's russia, i won't be doing it next round. i choose a different country each time
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:20 am

Post by Scigatt »

In post 72, Vi wrote:I've finished my second pass. I was a bit less sanguine the second time around, but no complaints about being pushed out of my comfort zone.

Spoiler: here they are
|
|
TIER: POINTS

(12) MASADA -- The Airborne Toxic Event {Poor Isaac}
-- (The last time this band was submitted I rated it better than usual for its genre but not as good as Joppin'.) This song actually slaps. I think this would enter me-screaming-for-more territory with a different vocal interpretation with more range, but as is this is solid.

(10) HINAMIZAWA -- fhána {わたしのための物語 ~My Uncompleted Story~}
-- Surprisingly adventurous J-pop. This isn't a style that I normally give points to but this one has so much personality that it stands out. I need to learn more about some of these chord progressions for my own endeavors...

(8) USSR -- Erik Mjones {Lion of Love}
-- I was told this movie was on point but no one told me it was
this
much so. The screen in the back showing the gazelles getting
launched
was a high point. Is this kind of content even legal in Russia? The song itself is only kind of okay to me, but the amount of ham in this video made it required viewing.

(7) CANADA -- mouse on the keys {spectres de mouse}
-- but there's a cheetah on the drum set
I like the idea, but the implementation felt unfocused, like it spent too much time in transition between ideas.

(6) DENMARK -- Snail's House {Warp Star}
-- pls turn the vibrato down, the music doesn't need to be this synthy
I can see how this is the jam of a lot of people, but it's way, way too busy for me. Like I hate how much this misses my preferences, because I feel like this is several stylistic decisions away from being my runaway favorite in this Contest.

TIER: POINTS?

(5) UGANDA -- Nihiloxica {Nilo Chug}
-- Oh, hello. Actually Ugandan. Nyege Nyege is affiliated with LGBT in Christian/Muslim Africa; dissonance to fight the power with. I feel like I should hate something like this that goes on for seven minutes, and yet I kind of don't. It's decent background music.

(4) RUSSIA -- Tori Amos {Precious Things}
-- More or less as usual, I can't relate to this song, but this sounds good enough to get points anyway.

(3) CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC -- Renaissance {Let It Grow}
-- It sounds nice. Those octave jumps are tough and she pulls them off. Ballads that use "love" in over 50% of its lines are a hard sell to me, so I welcomed the lengthy outro.

(2) TANZANIA -- Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata, Soshi Abe and Hajime Wakai {Talus Battle}
-- I've never played this game, and I'm only aware of what goes on in the first part. Divorced of context... it's definitely strange but it has character.

(1) NORWAY -- Paul McCartney {Temporary Secretary}
-- I have been informed on multiple occasions that this man's love does it good. Solid YouTube comments I agree with: "This feels dangerous to listen to. Like how flashing lights could potentially send you into an epileptic seizure. I feel like I’m risking something health-wise listening to this song" "This song is what I imagine a neural network designed to compose whole-ass songs would create as its very first, wholly unpolished mistake" "This is both an absolute disaster and a marvel to experience. It's a song that shouldn't exist and the mere fact it does is an insult to life itself, it's a monument of human arrogance. A visceral punch to good taste and i can't stop listening to it." This may objectively be the worst entry I have voluntarily rated above at least 15 others in a long time, and I'm not sure if I should thank you for submitting this (it'll depend on whether my mind audiates it tomorrow at 02:00).

ANGUILLA -- Deltron 3030 {Battlesong}
-- I can very easily tell this is someone's jam. I don't think it's mine. Still, I'm rating it high for novelty.

BELGIUM -- UGK (Underground Kingz) {Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)}
-- I can appreciate a song where everyone involved knows it's made of cheese. The verse at 2:04 takes me back to HIS WORLD in a way that is unintentionally enjoyable. sex song is w/e

ARMENIA -- Anna Calvi {Desire}
-- Whoever in the comments compared this to Springsteen was right on.

COLOMBIA -- Hoodie Allen {Surprise Party (feat. Blackbear)}
-- Sweet stage name.

CYPRUS -- Cloudier {Heartbeat}
-- I respect the soft pink-blue aesthetic.

GLOOMHAVEN -- The Pound Shop Boys {The Tra-La-La Song (Banana Splits Theme)}
-- I'll admit the first thing I read was the title of the song and I was worried that it was the
other
tra-la-la song. The Banana Splits barely,
barely
overlapped with my childhood, and I suspect I've been spared years of nightmares as a result of the limited exposure.

RUNETERRA -- WaqWaq Kingdom {Mum Tells Me}
-- This is a bit "out there" for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if not giving this points tanks my sheeple score.

TUVALU -- MercyMe {Even If}
-- I did warn y'all that Christpop was coming back after a well-advised adventure into it a while ago. This song is actually near the top of its class; certified Platinum, #2 for its genre for 2017 and #9 for the decade.

I don't expect overtly religious songs to do well - especially overtly Christian songs in English - but I'm sure someone would appreciate the window into a community that everyone sees but no one actually looks into.
There's only 17 song ratings here?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 am

Post by Vi »

I'm really, really,

really

tired of shitty people being shitty to people rn

and knowing that I can be like that, I decided not to show relative ranks for entries that weren't in contention and only kept the interesting comments for them
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:52 am

Post by PJ. »

I'm sorry, people suck sometimes. :pensive_cowboy:
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Post by Cyril »

In post 74, toolenduso wrote:
In post 66, Cyril wrote:nothing else here i feel like commenting on without listening except to say that i never finished breath of the wild
It's...well...I mean, it's satisfying at first but the problem is that it doesn't take too long to run out of things to do (at least, if you're using the Internet as a guide like I often do), except collecting 900 korok seeds. And at a certain point none of the enemies are all that challenging anymore.

That said, the basic design of the game still makes it fun to go back to every once in a while. Just climbing up a huge mountain and then jumping off and gliding forever is cool.

(yes I am trying to get all 900 korok seeds)
it's way too big with not enough to do

i was just going for all shrines myself and i quit somewhere between the first and second dungeons mostly just out of exhaustion/repetitiveness
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:56 pm

Post by MiniDeathStar »

In post 77, tris wrote:
In post 76, MiniDeathStar wrote:I keep getting cut and having my country taken :(
if that's russia, i won't be doing it next round. i choose a different country each time
No, it was Ireland. I also choose a different country every time. :dead:
het
het
Townie
het
Townie
Townie

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:05 pm

Post by het »

In post 72, Vi wrote:I've finished my second pass. I was a bit less sanguine the second time around, but no complaints about being pushed out of my comfort zone.

Spoiler: here they are
|

BELGIUM -- UGK (Underground Kingz) {Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)}
-- I can appreciate a song where everyone involved knows it's made of cheese. The verse at 2:04 takes me back to HIS WORLD in a way that is unintentionally enjoyable. sex song is w/e
I really do not think you understand this song
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:45 pm

Post by PJ. »

I feel like international players anthem is like..only great if you were there?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:03 am

Post by Vi »

In post 72, Vi wrote:
Spoiler: earlier review
(1) NORWAY -- Paul McCartney {Temporary Secretary}
-- This may objectively be the worst entry I have voluntarily rated above at least 15 others in a long time, and I'm not sure if I should thank you for submitting this (it'll depend on whether my mind audiates it tomorrow at 02:00).
update: this happened
but it was also the
least
distressing thing to keep me awake overnight, so no change to my vote
het 83 wrote:I really do not think you understand this song
That may as well be the tagline for the Contest as a whole, let alone my reactions to the entries. I'd be surprised if I understood half of what gets submitted.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:33 am

Post by PJ. »

I'm bummed that you didn't like mine, but I understand
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:48 am

Post by toolenduso »

I have decided to start doing posts where I follow up with my experience checking out more from artists I like from the song contest. And first I am going to do Tool, which is one of the bands I've listened to more thoroughly than almost anyone else from the contest.

Spoiler: Tool's thoughts on Tool
Background

-Contest that made me want to check out more: SC100
-Song from that contest: Vicarious
-Person who entered them: Cephrir

Overview

I had always meant to listen to Tool. I'd always heard great things about them growing up, and my teenage years involved a lot of metal — just not exactly the section of metal that involves bands like Tool. My interests leaned more in the direction of System of a Down, Protest the Hero, The Acacia Strain, August Burns Red, etc. I've since moved on to many more spaces within the genre, but there are still many niches I find boring or inaccessible.

Tool is neither boring nor inaccessible, and I've gotten really into them since SC100. Overall I have found them to be very creative in a constrained sort of way, and often extremely fun to listen to. Since I just listened to Fear Inoculum the other week I can say that I've listened to every studio album the band has done at least once.

Album rankings and thoughts

1. Lateralus

Favorites: Lateralus, Schism, The Grudge, Reflection

Of all Tool's albums, this is the one I like listening to all the way through the most. In fact I love both the regular version and the Holy Gift re-ordered version, which is a fun idea for approaching the album a different way that I think could possibly be expanded to other albums from other bands as well.

Lateralus not only flows well song-to-song, but there's like...basically nothing on this album that I don't enjoy. Every track is, at a minimum, interesting and cool, including the interludes. There are all-time great songs like Lateralus and Schism, but then there are interesting detours like Reflection and Disposition, weird experimental ones like Ticks and Leeches and some that just have excellent energy like The Grudge.

Lateralus is the only Tool song I included in my top 100 songs list, and it's a great example of Tool's ability to build an elaborate structure within a song, evolving one concept into multiple stages. They do that in many songs, but nowhere better than this one.

Tool was very much at the top of their game on this album, and it's definitely somewhere among my favorite albums of all time.

2. Aenima

Favorites: Stinkfist, Aenima, Third Eye

More raw than Lateralus, in many ways. The sound is less ethereal and more gritty, the lyrics and vocals are more aggressive and angry and less speculative, and the musicians focus more on bowling you over with hard-hitting breakdowns than on stringing together beautiful, oddball passages like those littered throughout Lateralus.

What really sells this album is the grooves. There are just some genius rhythm sections in here, and Tool explores them early and often. There are, however, many tracks on this album that I don't really care about, and therefore I don't listen to it nearly as much as Lateralus. I basically go to the tracks I like the most and listen to them in isolation.

I will say that I know Forty Six and Two is a big fan favorite but I just do not get why. It's a good song, sure, and if I were to rank it I might put it fourth or fifth. But yeah I just think it's good, not great. Idk I think it might be because of the lyrics, and Tool's lyrics are mostly just interesting detours to me. I don't take them super seriously and I don't buy into the kind of mysticism they are prone to.

3. 10,000 Days

Favorites: Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot

The three tracks listed above I absolutely love and I listen to them regularly. Almost everything on this album I either do not care about or do not care for.

But those three are pretty excellent. Each have super unique ideas, and The Pot especially has this amazing execution of rhythmic evolution. Listen-throughs of this whole album are rare for me.

4. Undertow

Favorites: Undertow, Disgustipated

Very raw and stripped down, but often fun. The above two tracks are the only ones I listen to regularly, and I might have listened to the whole album from start to finish like...twice?

I'm actually something of a sucker for long, strange ending tracks like Disgustipated, so I do not listen to the shortened version of the song. I like listening to the sermon, followed by the piano-shooting chanty part, followed by the crickets, followed by that weird voicemail story. Most of it is barely even music but it's somehow quite entertaining.

5. Fear Inoculum

Favorites: Sevenempest

I've only listened to this once, and it was pretty recent, so maybe this'll grow on me. But almost this entire album I just found to be pretty boring. It felt like Tool was recycling all these old ideas they've had, but with less vigor and imagination. Their buildups were mostly telegraphed and predictable and there's very little in the way of experimentation.

Sevenempest, which I refuse to call by any other name because I hate this bullshit numbers-as-letters thing people like to do in titles, is the sole exception. I found it to be competent, exciting and fun. There's a weirdo guitar riff that I think was the most creative thing on the whole record.

The only other thing I enjoyed on here was an instrumental interlude track, Chocolate Chip Trip, and that was just because it was kind of wacky (if also repetitive).

That said, I'll definitely listen to it more than once to give it a fair shake.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:41 am

Post by Natirasha »

In lieu of my regular reviews, I am rating all songs with a discord emote.

Spoiler:
Norway(Paul McCartney)--:emiruthink:
Ireland(Jazz Party)--:nicodab:
Uganda(Nihiloxica)--:bakebake:
Flavortown(Maya Hawke)--:NoFuckleShuckle:
Central African Republic(Renaissance)--:greg:
Russia(Tori Amos)--:mamacry:
China(Molly Tuttle)--:weesmart:
USSR(Erik Mjones)--:parseestare:
Gloomhaven(The Pound Shop Boys)--:100eggstunned:
Masada(The Airborne Toxic Event)--:crim:
Hinamizawa(fhana)--:ginsan:
Denmark(Snail's House)--:cags:
Tuvalu(MercyMe)--person_shrugging:
Belgium(UGK)--:peoplehands:
Cyprus(Cloudier)--:yurucheer:
Columbia(Hoodie Allen)--:medusashock:
Switzerland(Grey Daze)--:bigthunk:
Burkina Faso(Antti Paalanen)--:whale:
Armenia(Anna Calvi)--:gb:
Canada(mouse on the keys)--:grease:
Tanzania(The long list of names attached to BotW)--:goat:
Greece(noname)--:goat:
Anguilla(Deltron 3030)--:signut:
Poland(Younger Hunger)--:Smegu:
Australia(LestarSstarCa)--:umu:
Runeterra(WaqWaq Kingdom)--:pikari:

I give the contest as a whole two :wiggles: out of :nuko:.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:10 am

Post by PJ. »

I'm sad upyo was more popular than tuturu
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:16 am

Post by PJ. »

I have a bad habit of already knowing what is getting points before I listen to the songs.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:43 pm

Post by Elbirn »

Spoiler: Top 10
01. [RUSSIA] Tori Amos - Precious Things
02. [RUNETERRA] WaqWaq Kingdom - Mum Tells Me
03. [CANADA] mouse on the keys - spectres de mouse
04. [UGANDA] Nihiloxica - Nilo Chug
05. [ARMENIA] Anna Calvi - Desire
06. [GREECE] Noname - Blaxploitation
07. [IRELAND] Jazz Party - Drowning
08. [ANGUILLA] Deltron 3030 - Battlesong
09. [SWITZERLAND] Grey Daze - Sometimes
10. [BURKINA FASO] Antti Paalanen - Elä (Gotta Live)

No I will not explain or offer tier rankings or ratings out of ten nor will I talk about the songs that didn't make the cut these are just the songs I have selected good day to you.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:10 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

points from elbirn!
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:51 pm

Post by Scigatt »

y0

Spoiler: Points contenders
Anguilla (Deltron 3030 - Battlesong)
Armenia (Anna Calvi - Desire)
Australia (Le☆S☆Ca - Mitsubashi (ミツバチ))
Canada (mouse on the keys - spectres de mouse)
China (Molly Tuttle - Olympia, WA)
Flavortown (Maya Hawke - Generous Heart)
Greece (Noname - Blaxploitation)
Hinamizawa (fhána - My Uncompleted Story)
Ireland (Jazz Party - Drowning)
Poland (Younger Hunger - Dead Inside)
Switzerland (Grey Daze - Sometimes)
Tuvalu (MercyMe - Even If)
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:40 am

Post by Errantparabola »

4.9 - DENMARK (warp star): i saved this in like 1.5 seconds and put it on like five playlists

-- line above which is warp star --

4.2 - USSR (lion of love): i was enchanted by this. thanks key changes
4.2 - HINAMIZAWA (my uncompleted story): spends a lot of time in this surprisingly ambiguous space. somehow the singer isnt annoying
4.2 - CANADA (spectres de mouse): saved the album

4.0 - FLAVORTOWN (maya hawke generous heart)
3.9 - BELGIUM (intl players anthem)
3.9 - ARMENIA (anna calvi desire)

3.8 - RUNETERRA (mum tells me): saved the album
3.8 - CHINA (olympia wa)
3.8 - CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC (let it grow)

-- line above which i save a song --

3.7 - GREECE (blaxploitation)
3.7 - BURKINA FASO (antti paalanen elä)
3.7 - ANGUILLA (battlesong)
3.7 - IRELAND (drowning)
3.7 - TANZANIA (talus battle): gamecube intro?

3.6 - RUSSIA (precious things): its a bit long but i like it
3.6 - AUSTRALIA (mitsubashi)
3.5 - TUVALU (even if): this is good but actually let me go and listen to warp star again
3.5 - POLAND (dead inside)

3.3 - CYPRUS (cloudier heartbeat)
3.3 - MASADA (poor isaac)
3.2 - SWITZERLAND (sometimes)

3.0 - GLOOMHAVEN (tra la la song)
2.0 - COLUMBIA (surprise party)

1.5 - NORWAY (temporary secretary): this is good
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

points from errant!
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
The Bulge
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:47 am

Post by The Bulge »

Spoiler: review blurbs
Norway (Paul McCartney) - This is catchier than I think a lot of people are willing to give credit, and brief enough that it doesn't become grating.
Low points.

Ireland (Jazz Party) - Not a fan of the mix, drums aside even, and those are also not great. The third quarter feels unnecessary, but the final quarter is notably the best section.
No points.

Uganda (Nihiloxica) - Interesting all throughout and overall incredibly well-paced.
High points.

Flavortown (Maya Hawke) - Generic and somewhat sleepy.
No points.

Central African Republic (Renaissance) - There are a couple interesting ideas here that I don't think are being fully explored.
No points.

Russia (Tori Amos) - This has my attention at every moment. I love the song's progression, I love the vocal experimentation, and the piano track is addictive. A lot going on in the lower end of the mix as well that can't go unmentioned.
High points.

China (Molly Tuttle) - It took me many re-listens to form an opinion on this, and so I came to the conlusion that this song is simply okay with me being bored by it.
No points.

USSR (Erik Mjönes) - The drums and the synths and the lyrics and the vocal delivery and the key change are all so unbelievably annoying.
No points.

Gloomhaven (The Pound Shop Boys) - The drums and the synths and the lyrics and the vocal delivery and the key change are all somehow still less annoying than USSR's entry.
No points.

Masada (The Airborne Toxic Event) - An interesting blend of sonically-diverse ideas, although perhaps playing a little safe.
Mid points.

Hinamizawa (fhána) - One thing I can always appreciate about J-pop is how the trajectory of the whole instrumentation plays around the vocal lines, undeniably written alongside one another. The words work like an instrument in the mix, not like lyrics tacked onto a backing beat. This does that particularly well.
Low points.

Denmark (Snail's House) - Cool, but I think it could benefit a great deal from a more diverse sound palette.
Low points.

Tuvalu (MercyMe) - I was raised pretty much solely on contemporary Christian rock, including the likes of MercyMe, Third Day, Casting Crowns etc. So there are a hell of a lot of grievances I could air here about the genre and its many tropes and other fundamental flaws, but I don't think this one song necessarily deserves the weight of all that.
No points.

Belgium (UGK) - THE 6 Kings of the South all on one track. Each rapper brings a verse that effectively highlights their own strengths, all over an absolute classic beat.
High points.

Cyprus (Cloudier) - An array of unique sounds with a personality that keeps on giving. Definitely a standout in its own genre.
Low points.

Colombia (Hoodie Allen) - I've always found his beat selection/collabs far more interesting than his textbook 2010s-white-rapper flow. This is formulaic and disingenuous as pop-rap gets.
No points.

Switzerland (Grey Daze) - Feels like not a lot of effort or creativity went into the songwriting, and the singer's voice does just one thing the whole time.
No points.

Burkina Faso (Antti Paalanen) - Too long without expanding on any of the ideas it presents.
No points.

Armenia (Anna Calvi) - I dig the Brandon Flowers influence[?] but some of the musical phrasing makes it hard for me to get into a groove. She does seriously have a great voice though.
Low points.

Canada (mouse on the keys) - Easily the best-crafted song this contest. The different rhythms intersect at such carefully placed and satisfying beats. Densely packed without being repetitive or straying too far from a central theme.
High points.

Tanzania (Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata, Soshi Abe and Hajime Wakai) - I need to play more of this game. The soundtrack here has a lot of classic Lozisms which I can appreciate. However I don't think the structure of this one really works for me in this context.
No points.

Greece (Noname) - The instrumental suits her slam poetry delivery style perfectly. I need to check this album out, Telefone is great as well.
High points.

Anguilla (Deltron 3030) - This album is a childhood favourite that I have been revisiting a
lot
in the past few months. Any track I could have chosen would have done a good job at capturing the concept of the entire album (probably even the skits, which I did briefly consider). Del's voice as always is like warm butter as he spits effortlessly over the Automator's ever-complex genre-defying instrumental.

Poland (Younger Hunger) - Fine at first but I got tired of this very quickly.
No points.

Australia (Le☆S☆Ca) - Largely monorhythmic. Nothing here excites me or makes me anticipate the next part.
No points.

Runeterra (WaqWaq Kingdom) - This has me hooked. Some elements remind me of iglooghost but less abstract. Love to hear cubase production. I'll definitely be checking out more.
High points.

this was an extremely polarizing contest for me, only one "Mid Points". overall though I enjoyed it, had a lot of high scorers
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:15 pm

Post by Vi »

in re: your review, my entry - My condolences. I was spared all of that by virtue of living under a rock, but that entry came from looking into the abyss a while ago, and... yeah.

I'm feeling a little less despondent now, so I've added the rest of my comments in.
To respond to het again, honestly most of my exposure to music that humans listen to has been through these Contests. With that in mind, I appreciate reading others' comments so I can better understand the material presented and how people respond to it.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:41 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 72, Vi wrote:
Spoiler: Vi Thoughts
CHINA -- Molly Tuttle {Olympia, WA} -- There's something punchable about the male vocalist's performance - the two vocalists don't agree on the interpretation of the vocals, and hers are much better than his - and it's distracting at best. The song's okay. I think I'm reaching a point where I can conclude that I'm immune to whichever magic dazzles people when they hear male and female voices singing the same thing simultaneously.
Yeah I knew the harmonizing was gonna be, uh, a thing. It's been the reason the songs been buried in my ear for several weeks now.

Also, uh, never look up the original of that song because boy will you hate those vocals!
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
SnowStorm
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:52 pm

Post by SnowStorm »

Spoiler: :shifty:
Norway - I was expecting something different. I kinda like this.
Ireland - DRUMS! This was nice.
Uganda - YES, more percurssion!
Flavortown - Nice voice. It's ok.
Central African Republic - Pretty nice.
Russia - This feels unfair.
China - Eh. Not a fan of the vocals.
USSR - Nope.
Gloomhaven -This is horrible.
Masada - Meh.
Hinamizawa - Generic.
Denmark - This is just a bunch of sounds.
Tuvalu - Power-bore.
Belgium - Not feeling it.
Cyprus - The start sounds like call me maybe. I hate her voice and I'm tired of this musical formula.
Colombia - It's ok.
Switzerland - I was gonna call this a Linkin Park knock off, then I saw Chester in the pic. I guess it's an official knock off.
Armenia - I'm not very familiar with Anna Calvi, but I really like what I've heard so far.
Canada - It's Hinamizawa without the vocals.
Tanzania - kay.
Greece - Hm, okay.
Anguilla - it's ok.
Poland - I like this.
Australia - It's Hinamizawa Part III.
Runeterra - This is pretty cool.

Overall, it was a good contest. Started strong, kinda went downhill, but it stabilized. It wasn't easy ranking my favorites, I actually feel bad for not being able to give more points to some songs.

edit: also, thanks for the Spotify playlist. That helps a lot!

Return to “General Discussion”