Setup :

Town Multitasking Bodyguard Disloyal Babysitter
Town Backup Babysitter
Town Roaming Complusive Detective
Town Lazy 2-shot Roleblocker 2-shot Tracker
Town Disloyal Hider
Vt*5

Mafia 1-shot Personal Rolestopper
Mafia Night 1,2 JOAT (Neighborizer, Rolecop, Alien, Watcher, Activated Informed)
Mafia Goon

Information is : Town has the following modifiers and only those :

-Backup
-Compulsive
-Disloyal x2
-Lazy
-Multitasking
-Roaming
Last edited by implosion on Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:17 pm

Post by implosion »

Primary: Flavor Leaf
Secondary: Isis
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:43 pm

Post by Gypyx »

Egopost, i'll wait for your thoughts on the setup
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (4/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:15 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

13 players
Daytalk on, scum isn't multitasking by default

Setup :

Town Multitasking Bodyguard Disloyal Babysitter
Town Backup Babysitter
Town Roaming Complusive Detective
Town Lazy 2-shot Roleblocker 2-shot Tracker
Town Disloyal Hider
Vt*5

Mafia 1-shot Personal Rolestopper
Mafia Night 1,2 JOAT (Neighborizer, Rolecop, Alien, Watcher, Activated Informed)
Mafia Goon

Information is : Town has the following modifiers and only those :

-Backup
-Compulsive
-Disloyal x2
-Lazy
-Multitasking
-Roaming

One big question is I feel like a mass claim Day 1 given the knowledge of the town modifiers drastically can lead to a town victory, so I don't really like that. If you're glued to that idea, maybe we can work it a bit.

The detective's interesting with the Roaming aspect, considering Detective's only find out if people have made kills. Scum is the only thing that can get targeted with it. Compulsive just seems unnecessary, I don't see why they wouldn't ever use the action.

Town Backup Babysitter would only inherit the babysitter aspect, not the disloyal, correct?

Disloyal Hider and Disloyal Babysitter's not gonna be fun to play against. There's some insane swing here too, that in a worst case scenario, could destroy scum.

Also, Personal on scum is redundant, isn't it? That cuts out factional, but town doesn't have any factional abilities, so it just seems like it's there to be there.

I do think this is probably still lean scum, but with insane swing potential to destroy them at the same time.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:58 am

Post by Gypyx »

Hmmmm, could you develop on the problems that massclaim D1 might bring? I don't think that this is likely to happen but for future balance it would be good to know

I'm fine with dropping the compulsive, just that i wanted to avoid the player not acting in case he wanted to avoid being unable to investigate someone in the future

This is correct yes

I think it's the contrary here, like, if there is someone obviously scum enough to be both targeted by the babysitter and hider, the hider will die too, kind of an asshole interaction now that i think of it... i'm fine with tweaking the multi bg babysitter

Personal rolestopper can act as an anti-protectetive strongman too as it doesn't block the scumkill

I'm fine with the game slithgly leaning scum
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (4/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:25 am

Post by Isis »

Flavor Leaf, the information he listed under "Information is:" is supposed to be the information that the mafia receives if they choose for the JOAT to spend a night performing Activated Informed, I believe, not setup information given to the entire town. So it shouldn't create massclaim issues.

cfj told me in a recent thread that Backups do not inherit modifiers, only Universal Backups do.

Personal Rolestopper is not redundant, it can be used to sort of grant Strongman to a teammate in a way a general rolestopper cannot. You can rolestop a town player, and have another mafiosi target that player with the factional nightkill, babysitter actions fail, but allowing the nightkill to go through, because it is factional. An unmodified rolestopper would block the factional nightkill itself also.

I think Disloyal Hider and Roaming Detective are both interesting workable roles that make your setup plenty interesting already, and there should be two replacements for the Babysitter slots that bring the setup closer to true neutral on balance.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:12 am

Post by Gypyx »

In post 5, Isis wrote:there should be two replacements for the Babysitter slots that bring the setup closer to true neutral on balance.
I don't get that sentance, could you explain?

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:15 am

Post by Isis »

I meant, there are probably other roles you could come up with to change the Babysitter and Backup Babysitter that could put the setup at balanced. You already expressed openness to messing with the babysitter (and if the Babysitter is changed as much as mutating to a completely different role, the backup babysitter would likely also have to change, since backups without the primary role present are weak for town)
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:29 am

Post by Gypyx »

Yeah, i'm not putting any backup without the primary role in the game, mod WIFOM isn't a good thing

bottom text
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 am

Post by Gypyx »

By the way, i made a "power chart" to see if the setup is close to being balanced, and i might not evaluate correctly some PR's, but here's what i thought

Broken PR (bulletproof mason) : 15
Strong PR (cop) : 10
Decent PR (vig) : 8
Medium PR (tracker) : 6
Weak PR (Vanilla cop) : 3

Default : -15

Multi BG : 4
Backup baby : 5
Roaming det : 7
Tracker rber : 5
Disloayl hider : 2

Rolestopper : -4
JOAT : -5

Result : 23 vs 24

bottom text
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:25 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Maybe I’m not completely up to date on what Personal is. I thought it was like a Personal PT Cop wouldn’t get a positive result on Scum who’s only PT is the scum factional thread.

That makes a lot more sense in regards to the info thing. I’ll take a closer look tonight after soaking all this in.

I think it’s closer to balanced than I initially thought for sure, however.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:35 am

Post by Gypyx »

In post 10, Flavor Leaf wrote:Maybe I’m not completely up to date on what Personal is. I thought it was like a Personal PT Cop wouldn’t get a positive result on Scum who’s only PT is the scum factional thread.
Yeah personal can also do that

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:41 am

Post by Isis »

The third thing Personal can do is make "visit based investigatives" like tracker or watcher stop seeing the factional kill, and then I think that's the only three things it can do.
"Well, I..."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:44 am

Post by Gypyx »

Personal gunsmith could be a thing too i guess? Like, we're getting into the realm of weird roles, but a gunsmith who doesn't see mafia members as having a gun

Just a wild thought, i doubt that would fit into the spirit of normal games, even for me

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:16 am

Post by Isis »

Personal Psychologist and personal detective too, I guess. Good point.
"Well, I..."
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:36 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

So a Personal Gunsmith targeting a Mafia Goon would get No Gun, so if the Mafia Goon claimed a role with a gun, they’d be caught out? I think I actually like that as a role a lot, and since these modifiers are newer, I think it’s fair to expect these.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:00 am

Post by Gypyx »

Well, anyways i don't think these roles fit into the current setup, but i'm keeping those as ideas, also i don't agree on the point that newer modifiers / roles are more expected than others

bottom text
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:30 am

Post by Gypyx »

Also, i'd kinda like this question answered : does this setup looks fun / original to you guys?

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:27 am

Post by Isis »

I think it's a lot more interesting than it is fun. I don't consider myself a great judge of that, but I'll give my opinion since asked. It has lots of lottery ticket roles and it's so many of them the setup is balanced or getting there and it has a complexity to it that the town can probably get some clearing off of setup spec even if they whiff all their lottery tickets but I think I'd enjoy a setup with a smaller number of more reliable roles, most of the time. I've played like a tenth as many normals as FL though and have more confidence speaking to balance/breaks than being reflective of Normal community tastes
"Well, I..."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:36 am

Post by Gypyx »

hmmm, that's interesting, but the lot of "lottery tickets" or as someone said "small little fun toys" is intentional, like, my last normal (2169) was townsided af, but the players still enjoyed a lot that kind of setup, so i'm trying to do it again and see if it was just a single occurance or if that's actually what normal players like

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:37 am

Post by Isis »

I'll reiterate a lack of confidence in my answer
"Well, I..."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:40 am

Post by Gypyx »

Yep got it, just wanted to say that i'm experimenting basically

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:06 am

Post by Isis »

One minor misaligned incentives interaction in this setup is that if scum use activated informed and discover there are two disloyal players, they might prioritize night killing players who have good reads, and that will backfire if the disloyal hider is selected.
This goes away anyway if the disloyal babysitter isn't kept but is maybe worth thinking about that slot is kept disloyal.

Oh, it actually backfires on a disloyal babysitter too. Whack. I think most people are going to see disloyal and think about disloyal roleblockers or disloyal NX vigs or disloyal investigatives (which are basically cops and they shouldn't expect that if they metagamed design but I don't think the normal philosophy should ask for that level of analysis, they should be able to operate from "disloyal is a modifier that means your power works better against scum" and work from that without a paradoxical effect)

If it goes down to one disloyal in the setup, I think it's fine.
"Well, I..."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:31 am

Post by Gypyx »

Hmmm how about this : Multitasking Babysitter Compulsive Loud Bodyguard

And remove the compulsive from the detective

Also i had a small quality of life change in mind for maf :
Inform the JOAT that his activated informed ability tell him the list of all modifiers owned by town
To compensate, make the rolestopper Novice

bottom text
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:52 am

Post by Gypyx »

Hmmm hold on, we might be getting into weirdness territory if my idea of a replacement for multi bg decides to target both him abilities at the same person

How about this :
Town Combined Friendly Neighbour Roleblocker
Town Backup Roleblocker
Town Roaming Detective
Town Lazy 2-shot Tracker 2-shot Motion Detector
Town Disloyal Hider

Mafia Novice 1-shot Personal Rolestopper
Mafia Informed Night 1,2 JOAT (Neighborizer, Rolecop, Alien, Watcher, Activated Informed), knows that thier activated information tells them all the modifiers that town has
Mafia Goon

Yeah, that's a lot of poking around the setup, but i kinda struggle to find good modifications to make

bottom text

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”