Song Contest 159 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:34 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 0, Song Contest wrote:If fewer than 75% of the people who entered the contest haven't voted by the end of the first deadline, the voting deadline will be extended, and anybody who hasn't voted will get a penalty.
Also, in rereading the rules to find the exact wording there, I noticed the above, which should say either "If fewer than 75% of the people who entered have voted" or "If more than 75% of the people who entered haven't voted"

And while nobody cares, I thought I'd mention it.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:38 am

Post by Errantparabola »

Gonna try to listen and vote despite having not entered to cancel out the time i didn't vote
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:43 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 26, Errantparabola wrote:Gonna try to listen and vote despite having not entered to cancel out the time i didn't vote
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:05 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 24, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 0, Song Contest wrote:You may not vote for yourself.
The rules are pretty clear on this one!

No cheating, Tool!
Lol, well...that's not really the way I interpreted that particular rule, but it's also a moot point because I was not planning on voting for that entry.
In post 25, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 0, Song Contest wrote:If fewer than 75% of the people who entered the contest haven't voted by the end of the first deadline, the voting deadline will be extended, and anybody who hasn't voted will get a penalty.
Also, in rereading the rules to find the exact wording there, I noticed the above, which should say either "If fewer than 75% of the people who entered have voted" or "If more than 75% of the people who entered haven't voted"

I think your suggested replacements would be if only 25% needed to vote? And that's not the case, I wanted the rule to be that 75% of entrants needed to vote, otherwise there'd be a deadline extension and penalties.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:50 am

Post by Scigatt »

Just put in my ballot. The top 5 were really tough to order.
In post 21, PJ. wrote:Huh...surprised at ur entry
How so?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:46 am

Post by Vi »

I've finished my first pass. I think this one's somewhere on the better side of average.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:34 pm

Post by AGar »

Almost through my first listen and my main question is why the fuck is this Puff Daddy song 7 minutes long? Did no one tell him he didn't need to sample
all
of Kashmir?
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
The Bulge
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:47 pm

Post by The Bulge »

Spoiler: review blurbs
Ukraine (Mary J. Blige) - I almost submitted some Dre production this time around too. This is fantastic all around and makes me feel extremely nostalgic.
High points.

Pergamon (Erutan) - I've left this blank for so long and unfortunately can't find anything I want to say about this, but I don't hate it.
No points.

Ireland (LA Priest) - Everything including the vocals meshes well to create a loose bouncy barrel of sound that feels like it's about to spill over the edge at any moment. Creative, infectious and well-executed.
High points.

Mafiascum (Toolenduso) - Hell yea dude. Nailed every note, and you have an excellent timbre even on the outskirts of your range.
Low points.

USA (Yunomi) - Cool mix of sounds. I don't care for the vocal line much at all but there's a lot going on otherwise that I really enjoy.
Mid points.

Flavortown (IDLES) - I find the instrumental thoroughly uninteresting, and I guess I'd rather listen to it with the vocals than without but they're really not great either.
No points.

Hokkaido (Sekai No Owari) - I like the short instrumental section in the middle. The rest sounds like Owl City stripped of any soul or creativity.
No points.

Canada (Glennis Grace) - Great voice, but no part of the composition interests me.
No points.

White Mountain (mewithoutYou) - The repeating four-bar vocal melody is a little tiresome especially in such a long song. I like where the horns come in. But the melody does make this a very hard listen.
No points.

Burkina Faso (Self Esteem) - I don't like the upper-octave backing vocals and don't have much to say about the rest.
No points.

Armenia (Evil) - Some very effective atmosphere-building is accomplished in part by the vocal glitches and flourishes, and the unique mix of instruments creates an aesthetic I can dig. This makes me want to hear more.
High points.

Rome (Ex Deo) - The percussion leads a steady, measuredly slow tempo, which lays a foundation for the guitars and strings to build a pretty intense and satisfying wall of sound.
Mid points.

Britannia (Mishaal) - Somewhat generic to a very specific subgenre of indiepop (whatever Dominic Fike is), but it's a vibe. Not exactly a standout, but it is a very pleasant listen.
Mid points.

Graceland (Elias) - I feel like there's a million covers out there that tackle Amazing Grace from this exact angle, down to the parts where they've changed the melody. But this is an alright take.
Low points.

Spain (BLACKSTARKIDS) - Mixed horribly makes for an extremely hard listen. I don't care for any of the performances, and the instrumental is forgettable and largely drowned out by the awful mixing.
No points.

Norway (Bad Wolves) - Pretty good cover of a timeless classic. The vocals and instrumental both are a little scaled back from the original in terms of grittiness and personality, but the vocal performance here especially is very good.
Mid points.

Palau (Florrie) - Catchy hook, and the beat is tonnes of fun.
Low points.

Poland (Brown Bird) - Their voices are complimented well by this sort of minimalist instrumentation. Not a whole lot that happens in this song.
No points.

Switzerland (Arcus) - Not very creative or original sounding on the lyrical or instrumental fronts.
No points.

Greece (Puff Daddy) - Diddy is a terrible rapper, and almost as bad a singer. Plant or bust.
No points.

Bolivia (KAWAI Naoko (河合奈保子)) - I like pretty much everything about this. The lead and backing vocals have so much character, and the bassline, although simple, keeps the melody driving forward.
Mid points.

Anguilla (Shabazz Palaces) - Among the best acts in experimental hip hop, especially when it comes to creativity, musicality, accessibility, and quality and variety of sound. Black Up is my favourite of theirs, but any project will leave you intrigued.

Atlantavannah (Outkast) - Not one of my favourites off Aquemini, but it's a great outro and I'm glad it ended up at the end of the list here. Big Boi absolutely outdoes Andre on this one.
Mid points.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:17 pm

Post by Tammy »

In post 31, AGar wrote:Almost through my first listen and my main question is why the fuck is this Puff Daddy song 7 minutes long? Did no one tell him he didn't need to sample
all
of Kashmir?
The video is the masterpiece.

I submitted it because the video makes me smile. I don't know if it translates all that well without the video.
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:24 pm

Post by AGar »

It wasn't bad it was just... god I do not remember that being that long.

That and I got thrown with the Big Papa intro.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:27 pm

Post by petapan »

like 9 songs to listen to still but really not liking a big chunk of this contest
free crypto
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:58 pm

Post by PranaDevil »

In post 32, The Bulge wrote:
Spoiler: review blurbs
Graceland (Elias) - I feel like there's a million covers out there that tackle Amazing Grace from this exact angle, down to the parts where they've changed the melody. But this is an alright take.
Low points.
It's Amazing House of the Rising Grace Sun.

Also, I'm with petapan, so much of this contest fell into the "really want to turn this off" category. With one that I actively had to. The top few getting points from me absolutely deserve their points though.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:49 am

Post by Vi »

I've finished my second pass. I feel like I'm not usually the one saying that a Contest is better than the community consensus, but I don't think much of this was -bad- so much as not the kind of music I wanted to listen to over the last couple of days.

Spoiler: That said I definitely kind of phoned this one in
|
|
TIER: POINTS!

(12) PALAU -- Florrie {Experimenting with Rugs}
-- I appreciate this artist/title pun. This is totes the kind of pop I want more of - the drive, the hook, the variety. I initially thought this song was only good, but it got better with each relisten.

(10) GRACELAND -- Elias {Amazing Grace}
-- I was really worried when I saw the title, but I had no idea I needed this to the tune of "The House of the Rising Sun". I appreciate that the vocalist has the restraint to stop this from entering corny territory. WWE jumps into my top tier again.

(8) NORWAY -- Bad Wolves {Zombie}
-- I have watched Doctor Eccleston and thus have never been able to take this band seriously given the genre. Similarly, I wish I had heard this
before
Norweigian Reggaeton. All snark aside, this is a great update to an iconic song. I'm bitterly unamused by how this song was banned during the Iraq War.

(7) UKRAINE -- Mary J. Blige {Family Affair}
-- I wanted to say this sounded like something I would have heard growing up, but better... and hey, it's from 2001! Heck yes. Mary J's voice is great. It probably didn't need a minute of outro, but that could have happened to worse songs.

TIER: POINTS

(6) BOLIVIA -- 河合奈保子 {大きな森の小さなお家}
-- Is this what the 1980s looked like in Japan? It has a heartbeat and it's cute without being moe, so it's taking the short road to my points list without distinction.

(5) MAFIASCUM -- Toolenduso {For Forever}
-- Wait, that's how you pronounce your screen name? I'm getting some serious musical vibes from this, but not in the ways I like. The vibrato is very heavy. "Appalachian" is pronounced with a "latch" sound, dammit. I respect that you put yourself out there and honestly you're good at this; this doesn't seem like a song that's easy to hit pitches on and you nailed them. Thank you for sharing!

TIER: POINTS?

(4) GREECE -- Puff Daddy w. Jimmy Page {Come With Me}
-- Now here's a name I haven't heard in a while. The mixing on this seems soft on the vocals, which is probably for the better - it's tough to screw up Zepp's backing.

(3) ATLANTAVANAAH - OutKast {Chonkyfire}
-- The backing is pretty cool. I won't claim to understand the appeal of the lyrics or the delivery but I can put this on in the background and chill.

(2) BRITANNIA -- Mishaal {Peddle Bike}
-- On the put-on-in-background standard, this is perfectly serviceable. It benefits from being as long as it has to be.

(1) CANADA -- Glennis Grace {Afscheid}
-- Dutch really is not made for this kind of song. The vocalist obviously has a very solid voice, but the song itself is the kind of pop ballad that probably should have been left in the '90s.

POLAND -- Brown Bird {Nothing Left}
-- This is unusual. I'm not sure I have the patience for it but my take is slightly better than neutral.

HOKKAIDO -- SEKAI NO OWARI {Dragon Night}
-- A song with people who want to avoid Ice Beams and Blizzards. This feels like something I should like, but it keeps poking me with how artificial it is.

PERGAMON -- Erutan {Jabberwocky}
-- I'd like to give this artist another chance with a different song. The voice is good, the musical setting is thoughtful, the texture of the lead vocal is a little indistinct, and Lewis Carroll has gone well beyond the point of being tedious to make reference to. Plus I'm thoroughly burned out on minstrel as a genre.

USA -- Yunomi ft. Akari Kitou {Koi No Uta}
-- It takes long enough, but this becomes something somewhat distinctive in its genre. I'm still not excited over it. The comments make this anime's premise sound kind of hilarious.

TIER: NO POINTS

FLAVORTOWN -- IDLES {War (Live on KEXP)}
-- I appreciate that it was actually at home. Did the vocalist make a mic whine noise first thing? This song doesn't just have an audience out there, it has a whole
scene
- even if I'm not part of it. :respect:

ANGUILLA -- Shabazz Palaces - {Endeavors for Never (The last time we spoke you said you were not here. I saw you though.)}
- I'm not sure if this is a song so much as an experience. I'm having difficulty parsing this. This placement is a best guess, but as advertised, I'm intrigued.

SWITZERLAND -- Arcus {Crawling}
-- This strikes me as something that people who are into a scene that I'm not would find really neat. The reversed bass synth in particular is attention-getting.

BURKINA FASO -- Self Esteem {I'm Shy}
-- This artist rolls hard with their gimmick. This doesn't really do much for me; the voice pitched up two octaves in the chorus doesn't work for me but without it there isn't really a lot here.

IRELAND -- LA Priest {What Moves}
-- This is a style I'm not on board with but I'm pretty sure this has a substantial audience elsewhere.

==TIER: NO POINTS.

ROME -- Ex Deo {I, Caligvla}
-- There is a place for this song, but I'm not sure what it is. I'm having difficulty expressing what it is about this that's turning my opinion against it, but there's a lot of it.

WHITE MOUNTAIN -- mewithoutYou {The King Beetle On A Coconut Estate}
-- This is another song that has a reasonable audience - the same people who like Rainbow Connection - but it's something I feel I have to sit through for six minutes.

ARMENIA -- Evil {A Child Shamed}
-- I'm surprised this band name wasn't taken. I'm not sure if this artist's gimmick is to add a dozen filters, but they're not helping.

SPAIN -- BLACKSTARKIDS {CIGARETTES}
-- This was the hardest of passes as soon as the vocals kicked in.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:34 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Votes are due at midnight Pacific time tonight!
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:51 am

Post by toolenduso »

Spoiler: You need to vibrate higher so you can capture the opening of the portal that connects this Earth of 3D to one Earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5...
Spain - BLACKSTARKIDS - CIGARETTES: This is kinda cool. I like the vocal rotation, and the singing toward the end is especially good. This'll get points. DECENT.

Burkina Faso - Self Esteem - I'm Shy: This is interesting production. It's subtly off-kilter. The beat kind of stutters around and mixes together hip-hop with indie rock stylings, then contrasts the softness of the verses with very sharp vocals in the chorus. I'm liking it. DECENT.

Armenia - Evil - A Child Shamed: Big fka twigs vibes in this song. Idk. It's...I feel like this sounds like a song I would rank toward the middle of a better album. The kind of song that just sounds out of context by itself. On its own, it's like, it's ok, it's pretty good even. I've heard much better in this vein. DECENT.

USA - Yunomi ft. Akari Kitou - Koi No Uta: Yu no mi, still the same OG but I been low key. Anyway...I guess this is the opening to an anime show or something? We've had, um, a lot of these in the contest. Apparently there's way more anime than I was aware of. Some of these theme songs have been pretty great, but this one's only OK. It could get low points. Well, all right, it's getting more interesting with this electronic break. The voice sounds bad, but what are you gonna do. DECENT.

Flavortown - IDLES - War (Live on KEXP): Hey, this sounds like Daughters. From, you know, the one Daughters record I've listened to. But yeah a lot of similarities to that record early on in the song. There are some things I like in here, like, mainly when they give individual musicians a chance to shine. I find myself wishing they would just take some of these ideas farther. Feels weird to describe something like this as "restrained" but that's my impression of it. Idk, I might like it more than anything else I've heard so far. DECENT.

Graceland - Elias - Amazing Grace: Where do I know that guitar riff from...ah, it's House of the Rising Sun. Well, that's an idea. Singing ain't bad. Yeah, that's really all I can say about it, it ain't bad. DECENT.

Switzerland - Arcus - Crawling: This sounds like NIN. Not that I've listened to much NIN. Oh ok now it's getting poppier. A rare example of a "weird" song where I like the vocals more than the music...well, really it's just the chorus I don't like the music in. The spare, ambient sections outside the chorus are good. DECENT.

White Mountain - mewithoutYou - The King Beetle On A Coconut Estate: Hey it's that guy who narrated Razia's Shadow! I've never really been into this band's style tbh. Always kind of seemed like it was music made for singing, but with spoken word instead, rather than more intentionally embracing and building for spoken word. But this is at least an attempt at singing? I like the music behind the voice. That part's pretty tight, actually. Whoah, why does it suddenly sound super lo fi when it switches to the rock part? Yeah, I like the bones of this song but the execution annoys me. The music's good enough that I'm sure it'll get points. DECENT.

Ireland - LA Priest - What Moves: Very unusual singing choices this person is making. Actually, reminds me of some Indian songs I've heard entered in the contest, so maybe it just sounds weird to me because of my cultural background. Anyway this is kind of funky in multiple ways and I kind of like it, but don't love it. DECENT.

Poland - Brown Bird - Nothing Left: This strikes me as the type of song likely to win the contest. It's also a song I find ok but not super interesting. DECENT.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:54 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 37, Vi wrote:
-- Wait, that's how you pronounce your screen name? I'm getting some serious musical vibes from this, but not in the ways I like. The vibrato is very heavy. "Appalachian" is pronounced with a "latch" sound, dammit. I respect that you put yourself out there and honestly you're good at this; this doesn't seem like a song that's easy to hit pitches on and you nailed them. Thank you for sharing!
Yeah it's from the musical Dear Evan Hansen, which I actually have not seen or heard any of the other music from, but Malkon chose it for me for MS Idol.

I actually did know that's how it's supposed to be pronounced, funny enough I did not remember that when recording. In my defense, the original singer pronounces it like "lay" so I blame him!
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:12 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 37, Vi wrote:
Spoiler: That said I definitely kind of phoned this one in
|
|
TIER: POINTS!

(12) PALAU -- Florrie {Experimenting with Rugs}
-- I appreciate this artist/title pun. This is totes the kind of pop I want more of - the drive, the hook, the variety. I initially thought this song was only good, but it got better with each relisten.

(10) GRACELAND -- Elias {Amazing Grace}
-- I was really worried when I saw the title, but I had no idea I needed this to the tune of "The House of the Rising Sun". I appreciate that the vocalist has the restraint to stop this from entering corny territory. WWE jumps into my top tier again.

(8) NORWAY -- Bad Wolves {Zombie}
-- I have watched Doctor Eccleston and thus have never been able to take this band seriously given the genre. Similarly, I wish I had heard this
before
Norweigian Reggaeton. All snark aside, this is a great update to an iconic song. I'm bitterly unamused by how this song was banned during the Iraq War.

(7) UKRAINE -- Mary J. Blige {Family Affair}
-- I wanted to say this sounded like something I would have heard growing up, but better... and hey, it's from 2001! Heck yes. Mary J's voice is great. It probably didn't need a minute of outro, but that could have happened to worse songs.

TIER: POINTS

(6) BOLIVIA -- 河合奈保子 {大きな森の小さなお家}
-- Is this what the 1980s looked like in Japan? It has a heartbeat and it's cute without being moe, so it's taking the short road to my points list without distinction.

TIER: POINTS?

(4) GREECE -- Puff Daddy w. Jimmy Page {Come With Me}
-- Now here's a name I haven't heard in a while. The mixing on this seems soft on the vocals, which is probably for the better - it's tough to screw up Zepp's backing.

(3) ATLANTAVANAAH - OutKast {Chonkyfire}
-- The backing is pretty cool. I won't claim to understand the appeal of the lyrics or the delivery but I can put this on in the background and chill.

(2) BRITANNIA -- Mishaal {Peddle Bike}
-- On the put-on-in-background standard, this is perfectly serviceable. It benefits from being as long as it has to be.

(1) CANADA -- Glennis Grace {Afscheid}
-- Dutch really is not made for this kind of song. The vocalist obviously has a very solid voice, but the song itself is the kind of pop ballad that probably should have been left in the '90s.

POLAND -- Brown Bird {Nothing Left}
-- This is unusual. I'm not sure I have the patience for it but my take is slightly better than neutral.

HOKKAIDO -- SEKAI NO OWARI {Dragon Night}
-- A song with people who want to avoid Ice Beams and Blizzards. This feels like something I should like, but it keeps poking me with how artificial it is.

PERGAMON -- Erutan {Jabberwocky}
-- I'd like to give this artist another chance with a different song. The voice is good, the musical setting is thoughtful, the texture of the lead vocal is a little indistinct, and Lewis Carroll has gone well beyond the point of being tedious to make reference to. Plus I'm thoroughly burned out on minstrel as a genre.

USA -- Yunomi ft. Akari Kitou {Koi No Uta}
-- It takes long enough, but this becomes something somewhat distinctive in its genre. I'm still not excited over it. The comments make this anime's premise sound kind of hilarious.

TIER: NO POINTS

FLAVORTOWN -- IDLES {War (Live on KEXP)}
-- I appreciate that it was actually at home. Did the vocalist make a mic whine noise first thing? This song doesn't just have an audience out there, it has a whole
scene
- even if I'm not part of it. :respect:

ANGUILLA -- Shabazz Palaces - {Endeavors for Never (The last time we spoke you said you were not here. I saw you though.)}
- I'm not sure if this is a song so much as an experience. I'm having difficulty parsing this. This placement is a best guess, but as advertised, I'm intrigued.

SWITZERLAND -- Arcus {Crawling}
-- This strikes me as something that people who are into a scene that I'm not would find really neat. The reversed bass synth in particular is attention-getting.

BURKINA FASO -- Self Esteem {I'm Shy}
-- This artist rolls hard with their gimmick. This doesn't really do much for me; the voice pitched up two octaves in the chorus doesn't work for me but without it there isn't really a lot here.

IRELAND -- LA Priest {What Moves}
-- This is a style I'm not on board with but I'm pretty sure this has a substantial audience elsewhere.

==TIER: NO POINTS.

ROME -- Ex Deo {I, Caligvla}
-- There is a place for this song, but I'm not sure what it is. I'm having difficulty expressing what it is about this that's turning my opinion against it, but there's a lot of it.

WHITE MOUNTAIN -- mewithoutYou {The King Beetle On A Coconut Estate}
-- This is another song that has a reasonable audience - the same people who like Rainbow Connection - but it's something I feel I have to sit through for six minutes.

ARMENIA -- Evil {A Child Shamed}
-- I'm surprised this band name wasn't taken. I'm not sure if this artist's gimmick is to add a dozen filters, but they're not helping.

SPAIN -- BLACKSTARKIDS {CIGARETTES}
-- This was the hardest of passes as soon as the vocals kicked in.
shattered my record here. glad to see you liked my as yet undisclosed song
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:35 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 28, toolenduso wrote:
In post 24, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 0, Song Contest wrote:You may not vote for yourself.
The rules are pretty clear on this one!

No cheating, Tool!
Lol, well...that's not really the way I interpreted that particular rule, but it's also a moot point because I was not planning on voting for that entry.
In post 25, Aristophanes wrote:

I think your suggested replacements would be if only 25% needed to vote? And that's not the case, I wanted the rule to be that 75% of entrants needed to vote, otherwise there'd be a deadline extension and penalties.
Don't worry, I was only kidding around about the wording of the rules in the first bit :P

The second, however, I'm going to continue on about but you can just ignore me if you like.

If fewer than 75% of the people who entered the contest haven't voted

This means that if more than 25% have voted the deadline will not be extended. You have a double negative which makes the wording the exact opposite of what is intended.
Make the "haven't" into "have" and it works, as I suggested, or make the "fewer than" into "more than", as I suggested, and it means that 75% is your threshold for cutoffs and anything less results in an extension and punishments. 75% or more, then, means the results are posted. Literally it's just the double negative that is warping the meaning here.

That said, I'm on to listening and whatnot so I'm sorry for bothering you with this. It really doesn't effect anything but I like to see correct rules so they aren't misinterpreted when it might matter.
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:59 am

Post by toolenduso »

ohhhhhh kay that just clicked in my head. yeah i see what you mean, i'll fix it soon
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:41 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

<3
- Jingle
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:20 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Spoiler: What a ride!
Ukraine: Mary J. Blige - Family AffairWhat a goddamn classic track!
Fabulous vocals, awesome club lyrics, great beat! I love it!

Pergamon: Erutan - JabberwockyI mean, the telling of this tale in song is really nicely done here. I love the fantasy, the light vocals, the instrumentation, and the way she brings everything to life!

Ireland: LA Priest - What MovesI'm just really not a fan of the vocal style. It's like approximated whining with some synth effects on it.

Mafiascum: Toolenduso - For ForeverI can hear you smiling in this song and that changes the notes into just the perfect feel for this song!
You have the right energy and voice for this song and your emotions come through so nicely. <3

USA: Yunomi ft. Akari Kitou - Koi No UtaI like the energy of this song a lot actually. It's fun, and the electronic overvocals give it a really nice effect.

Flavortown: IDLES - War (Live on KEXP)A loud, annoying song yelling about loud, annoying noises loudly and annoyingly.

Hokkaido: Sekai No Owari - Dragon NightLOL I thought they were singing about Pokémon for a split second there XD
I also thought it was hilarious when they went" let's dance for the night" or w/e and then panned to everyone just..standing around? XD
I like the indie, pop, dancy, happy vibes :)
It's like Owl City making dance songs.
The video is silly, the instrumentation is silly, the singer definitely says "fire birbs" at 2:44 (or that's when I noticed it)
I honestly loved it!

Canada: Glennis Grace - AfscheidIt's really hard to make a song with this many guttural sounds sound so smooth, but she does a great job at it tbh.
Oh yeah! That power when she gets into it is amazing! What a voice!

White Mountain: mewithoutYou - The King Beetle On A Coconut EstateWhat a story! The problem is...like, it's deep on the surface, but I don't get it.
I read the comments and it's apparently about a relationship with God and well, I get that I suppose. But I don't think it conveys it as well as it could.
It gets really intense there but I felt more confused than anything when it did. The story looked to be going in an intriguing direction but remained simply too vague throughout.
Feels like a missed opportunity to me.

Burkina Faso: Self Esteem - I'm ShyWith the off-time clock ticking in the background, the sudden sounds, and the shrill backup vocals that show up throughout, this disjointed song is just n experiment in anxiety.
And while it is well done in that sense, I simply cannot give it any points, for it made me uncomfortably tense.
I'm sure that was the point, but I did not enjoy what it did, despite it being proficient at it.

Armenia: Evil - A Child ShamedI like the distortion vibe as if from an old video recording which shows up in this kind of music.
And I like the robotically effected vocals that show up in techno/electro-style music.
And I like the distortion drums that shop up in dubstep music.
But they should not be combined into a song with out-of-tune banjo.

...I feel like I'm being a dick this contest :(

Rome: Ex Deo - I, CaligvlaOkay can I first mention that a song about Caligula, submitted by Rome, is like, just, :hearteyes:
I adore whoever did this =D
They, uh, set it in 38AD though, and Caligula became emperor in 37AD so... O.o

I really enjoyed the setting, but this is totally out of the styles I'd ever listen to.

Britannia: Mishaal - Peddle BikeAwesome vibes, very chill, nice composition!
I find the lyrics ironic.
"Pedal Bike" *shows engine on bicycle*
"Blue Suedes" *pans to white-ass shoes*
"Little lies" Ooooooh lol

Graceland: Elias - Amazing Grace
The House of Amazing Grace

Hunh.

I mean, it's well done and his vocals grit really nicely with emotion on the chorus. It feels like a miss on the verse though.
Really cool take on an overdone song. I like the idea behind it a lot! Execution leave a bit to be desired.

Spain: BLACKSTARKIDS - CIGARETTESThis started off sounding like they were singing in babytalk.
The sound of the song kinda supported it too.
This feels really family channel without being family channel appropriate since it's about, well,
CIGARETTES

Norway: Bad Wolves - ZombieTHIS!
There are a select few songs that give me chills on the majority of listens.
This is one of them.
I adore this cover, the tribute it is, and the things it represents. The imagery in the lyrics is striking. The vocals carry emotion and are paired with, rather than fighting, the rock instruments in the piece.
Theonly thing I could say about this with the word "bad" in it is "Bad Wolves did a fantastic job here!"

Palau: Florrie - Experimenting with RugsI got very "Tame GaGa" vibes from this whole thing.
Which isn't a bad thing! I enjoyed it a lot! Felt like it could have been more than it was, but that kind of makes me wanting more after it finished. I'll probably look into more of her stuff!

Poland: Brown Bird - Nothing LeftStarts off as non-descript DnD Town music.
Turns into a fun (if bleak) sidequest.
The intrigue grows really nicely in it and I really like when he goes into full vocals in the end. It rounds out the song really nicely and the instruments coming together is really good.

There we go, I'm being nice again! :)

Switzerland: Arcus - CrawlingIs
Lo-fi Emo
a thing?
Because this is that.

Fucking fantastic!

Greece: Puff Daddy w. Jimmy Page - Come With MeI just...I have so many things to say and I'm not sure how to say them.

Like, okay. First off, this starts with a sensual intro that is interrupted at a world shaking moment by the world literally shaking him awake, which is cringe.
Then they name drop 9/11 in a clip that downplays the disaster but plays up people's discontent at the evacuation while making an obvious comparison between it and...Godzilla! Which is definitely a choice.

Then it starts off and I'm like "Ohey, I know this song! This is a good song! Of, but now there's rapping over it. That was also...a choice.

And then, for no apparent reason that I can think of other than effects and forced scene changes, they have the Elevator BURST THROUGH THE GODDAMN CEILING LIKE THAT WILLY WONKA BULLSHIT!!! AND PUFF DADDY BECOMES PUFF BIRDIE!?!? WHAT IN THE FUCK AM I WATCHING :lol: :!:

Like, he definitely should have died but instead floats down to a stage like some sort of angel here to deliver us bad dance moves and mediocre rap over an iconic rock riff.

The last 2 minutes served no purpose, contained 10 straight seconds of him saying "come with me" and it ends with 20 straight seconds of "uh hunh, yeah" on loop for some godawful reason that I can only assume is the producers saying to Puff "we need waaaaay more filler here, you got anything?" and his response being "uh hunh, yeah" and them just assuming he actually had something but he didn't so when they got to recording and realized it was simply too late and they had to go with it.

This whole thing is just the summation of questionable choices.

Bolivia: KAWAI Naoko (河合奈保子) - Ooki na mori no chisa na uchi (大きな森の小さなお家)Now this is some good shit!
Happy song, smiling the whole way through, pleasing melodies, soft instrumentals, literally dancing around while streamers cover the stage, a lot of which are coming from her fans in the crowd!

Goddamn Wholesome! <3

Anguilla: Shabazz Palaces - Endeavors for Never (The last time we spoke you said you were not here. I saw you though.)Okay, some newage-postmodern-jazzy vibes here.
I really like the vocals. She has a great voice!
I just really dislike the disjunct musical style of whatever is happening in the background.

This might have scored anyway if her singing continued and shined throughout it. But it goes weird too quickly and never circles back.

Atlantavannah: OutKast - ChonkyfireOh hells yes! Ending with OutKast is a great choice! =D
They have such a good sound! And while I haven't heard much of their more rap-heavy songs, the smoothness is great! The conversational nature, the rounded guitar in the back, the poetic approach. I really enjoy it! I wish I could place it higher because I would definitely enter them into BotB. But I can't game the system with good conscious.
I'm just not big on rap in general, but this is a good example of it.
Last edited by Aristophanes on Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jingle
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:44 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 37, Vi wrote:I've finished my second pass. I feel like I'm not usually the one saying that a Contest is better than the community consensus, but I don't think much of this was -bad- so much as not the kind of music I wanted to listen to over the last couple of days.
Yeah, Iunno. It wasn't a bad contest, I agree. But I wasn't, like, impressed by it.

I was worried I wasn't going to be able to fill the 10 voting spots for a bit of it which is uncommon.
- Jingle
het
het
Townie
het
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Post by het »

In post 45, Aristophanes wrote:
Greece: Puff Daddy w. Jimmy Page - Come With MeI just...I have so many things to say and I'm not sure how to say them.

Like, okay. First off, this starts with a sensual intro that is interrupted at a world shaking moment by the world literally shaking him awake, which is cringe.
Then they name drop 9/11 in a clip that downplays the disaster but plays up people's discontent at the evacuation while making an obvious comparison between it and...Godzilla! Which is definitely a choice.
FWIW, this was from the Godzilla movie from 1998, so it definitely wasn't referencing 9/11. It was referencing the (considerably less destructive) WTC bombing in 1994.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:05 am

Post by Song Contest »

I will begin posting results momentarily!
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:07 am

Post by Song Contest »

White Mountain

Scigatt

12 - Poland
10 - Graceland