Ascetic Roaming Alien
Ascetic Compulsive Loud Hider
Innocent Child Psychologist
Loud Loyal Fruit Vendor
8x VT

MAFIA KNOW THE SETUP
, town knows mafia know
Daytalk, no Multitasking

I’m hoping this isn’t too complex, the role names are complicated but the interactions shouldn’t be too bad on the players and there are a lot of VTs. Plus I can just give the Mafia the town PR role PMs, which solves some of the problems with complicated town roles anyway doesn't it?

The mafia publicly knowing the setup thing was suggested in an MD thread, I wanted to try designing a setup around that, that’s really the key idea here.

LOUD + LOYAL INTERACTION IS UNCLEAR. I asked Implosion and he wasn’t sure either. My intent is for the Mafia to see they’ve been visited, but not be sure if it was the Fruit Vendor or the Hider. Not sure if it would work but could that also or instead be accomplished with Combined Loud Visitor / Loyal Fruit Vendor or something? (Although that’s even longer.)

Loud is weird because the wiki
specifically
lists it as being related to targeting, trackers can track someone to an Ascetic target for example, even though the action fails. I really want to achieve something like this, but the wiki is unclear on a lot of these interactions. Still I think they only matter on the mod side, I can clear them up in the role PMs easily enough I think.

I'll flip role PMs when players die.

I want maximum VTs so scum have more room to abuse their setup knowledge, but I like the setup fitting together nicely like this.

I have no idea how much Mafia knowing the setup is worth, given that town knows they know and mafia knows town knows they know and town knows mafia know town know they know.

Also, do you think I need to worry about the “town wins after 3 consecutive day/night phases with no deaths” rule with this setup? Or is that just a kind of hilarious way for scum to lose in the scenario where they have Hider endgames when the Hider has good reads?

Spoiler: RULES POST
Rules stolen from PenguinPower and various other moderators, all of whom stole from various other moderators.

Rules

General Rules
  • Since you’re on this site, follow site rules, obviously.
  • Pretending to break the rules is the same as breaking the rules.
  • Personal attacks, threatening to report people for game throwing when they don’t agree with you, etc. may get you force-replaced.
  • You may not quote private communication (real or otherwise) of any kind—this includes role PM, night results, other mod communication, posts from private threads, etc. Paraphrasing and drafts are acceptable.
  • Report attempts at out-of-game communication immediately.

• No ciphers, encryption, extremely small text, or similar tactics.
  • No provable randomness.
  • Once you tell me you’re replacing out, you are out. No backsies.
  • Bold all requests to the Mod.

• This is my color. You cannot has.

• If you think I’ve made a mistake please PM me about it, if you’re not happy with my reply, let’s drop it and talk about it after the game.
  • Do not attempt to find or abuse loopholes in the rules. I’ll try to assume good-faith but loophole abuse will be punished and rules will be updated if there are problems. I’ll make a new post about changes to the rules if that happens.

Activity
  • Post once every 48 hours or get prodded.
  • If prodded, you have 24 hours to respond with a
    substantive post in game
  • A player who has been prodded 3 times may be replaced with no further notice.
  • If you plan on being inactive for more than 48 hours,
    PM me and post in thread that you're going to be V/LA
  • When V/LA, your prod timer is 96 hours. Don’t abuse this.
  • I might give you more time if you talk to me via PM ahead of time.
  • If you plan to have regularly scheduled V/LA period (e.g. the weekend) please PM me about it.

Deadlines
  • Days will last 10 days.
  • Nights will last 49 hours.
  • Extensions may be given out for replacements if it’s late in the day, or when I feel like it makes sense.
  • If you have a role with a Night action, your action is due by 1 hour before night ends.
    Players with a Night action may submit a "No Action" PM to indicate you do not wish to perform your action, I'd really appreciate that. I'll still accept one later if you change your mind before the deadline.

Voting
  • When a simple majority of all living players have voted for one person, that person is Dropped from the game and the day ends. If no one has a majority at deadline, no one is Dropped.
  • When a player is Dropped the game enters twilight and everyone can keep talking until I post the final vote count.
  • You may VOTE: No Drop — half of the living players voting No Drop is enough to end the day without dropping any of the players.
  • If no one dies for 3 consecutive day/night phases, the game ends with a victory for town.
  • Votes must use VOTE: Tags or
    Bold
  • Votes that use nicknames or have minor spelling errors will be counted as long as I unambiguously understand who you’re voting for. This counts for No Drop votes too.
  • Votes in quotes, spoiler tags or otherwise non-obvious will not be counted.
  • Stop talking once you’re dead, no bah posts.

Setup
  • Daytalk: anyone with a private topic can use it whenever they like.
  • ALL NON-TOWN-ALIGNED PLAYERS KNOW THE COMPLETE SETUP
    , just not the role randomization.
  • Factional abilities can
    not
    be used the same night as role abilities without the Multitasking modifier. I promise I won’t do anything lame like giving everyone Multitasking.
  • This is a normal game, so everything is normal.

Spoiler: Sample Role PM
A least one player has received this:
Vanilla TownieWelcome, playername! You are a
Vanilla Townie

Abilities:

You have no special abilities other than your voice and your vote. Use them well!

Win condition:

You win when all threats to the
town
have been eliminated and at least one
town
player is still alive.

Please confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Game thread is here.

Spoiler: ROLE PMS
Mafia CheckerWelcome, playername! You are a
Mafia Checker

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to check. If your action succeeds, you will be informed that your action succeeded.

If you successfully checked your target, you will get:
“You checked PLAYERNAME successfully! Good job.”
If your action fails for some reason, you will get:
“NO RESULT.”

Your team has a factional nightkill: at night one of you may kill another player.
You cannot both kill and check a player the same night.
You share an evil den of bad taste with your team
PLAYERNAME
and
PLAYERNAME
You may talk with them here any time.

Win condition:

You win when the entire
town
is dead and at least one
mafia
player is still alive, or when nothing can prevent this from happening.

Please confirm by replying with your role name and alignment, by PM or in your private thread.

Game thread is here.

Ascetic Roaming AlienWelcome, playername! You are a
Town Ascetic Roaming Alien

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to abduct.
If your action succeeds, any other actions targeting that player will fail and any actions your target attempts will also fail.
You cannot target the same player-slot more than once.
Other than kills, any actions targeting you will automatically fail.

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.

Ascetic Loud Compulsive HiderWelcome, playername! You are a
Town Ascetic Loud Compulsive Hider

Abilities:

Each night you
MUST
target a player to hide behind.
Your target will be informed that you visited them, but not what you did.

If your action succeeds you will hide behind that player for the night, meaning you cannot be killed by actions targeting you but you will die if the player you hide behind is targeted for a kill and dies because of it.
If you ever fail to submit an action, you will automatically hide behind the first player still alive on the ordered list of players you sent me.

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Please confirm by replying with your role name, alignment, and
an ordered list of all players in the game

This is in case you fail to submit an action. You are free to update the order of this list by PMing me at any time.

Game thread is here.

Loud Night Result

PLAYERNAME paid you a visit last night.

Innocent Child PsychologistWelcome, playername! You are a
Town Innocent Child Psychologist

Abilities:

At the start of the game, I will publicly confirm that you are
town-aligned
Each night you may target a player to investigate.
If your action succeeds, you will learn whether or not your target is capable of killing but has yet to do so.

If your target can target a player to kill but has not yet done so, you will get:
“PLAYERNAME has the look of a killer.”
If your target has
either
already attempted to kill someone
or
is incapable of killing, you will get:
“PLAYERNAME seems innocent.”
“NO RESULT.”

This investigation resolves after night kills.

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.

D1 Start announcement

PLAYERNAME is aligned with the
Town

Loud Loyal Fruit VendorWelcome, playername! You are a
Town Loud Loyal Fruit Vendor

Abilities:

If your target is on a different team than you your action will fail.
If your action succeeds, your target will be told:
”You have received a piece of fruit!”

Your target knows you visited them whether they get the fruit or not.

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.

Vanilla Townie

Abilities:

You have no special abilities other than your voice and your vote. Use them well!

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.

Other rules questions

I assume Ascetic trumps roleblocking (i.e. from Alien.)

Looks like there’s no set rule for if a Roleblocker blocks an Alien that targets the same RB or something (in case someone asks.) To me the most intuitive ruling is that all roleblocks/rolestops/abductions are simultaneous, so the Roleblocker would indeed be immune to the NK even if they’d blocked the Alien that was targeting them or whatever. Is that okay?
I already mentioned mafia knowing the setup needs to be accomplished through an informed role and town knowing that through public setup info.
Last edited by implosion on Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:20 am

Post by implosion »

Primary: mastina
Secondary: Flavor Leaf
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:40 am

Post by Akarin »

Spoiler: Revised Mafia PM
Mafia Informed CheckerWelcome, playername! You are a
Mafia Informed Checker

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to check. If your action succeeds, you will be informed that your action succeeded.

“NO RESULT.”

Your team has a factional nightkill: at night one of you may kill another player.
You share an evil den of superior taste with your team
PLAYERNAME
and
PLAYERNAME

Win condition:

You win when the entire
town
is dead and at least one
mafia

You are Informed that the setup for this game is:
  • 3x Mafia Informed Checker
  • Ascetic Roaming Alien
  • Ascetic Compulsive Loud Hider
  • Innocent Child Psychologist
  • Loud Loyal Fruit Vendor
  • 8x VT
Sample Role PMs available upon request, but you’re not allowed to quote them.

This information will be redacted upon your flip.

Please confirm by replying with your role name and alignment, by PM or in your private thread.

Game thread is here.

I also wonder if I should strengthen the no-talking about mod communication rule given that Mafia knows the setup? Is this okay?
  • You may not quote private communication (real or otherwise) of any kind.
    Paraphrasing the information is fine, but discussing the form of such information is off-limits.
    This includes role PM, night results, other mod communication, posts from private threads, etc. Writing draft posts for your own use is acceptable.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:43 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Tracker tracks someone targeting an ascetic is correct, but the loud player targeting Ascetic, while they would get tracked to the Ascetic, the ascetic wouldn’t be notified. The action doesn’t get blocked or prevented, it just gets nullified when it touched the Ascetic, if that makes sense.

I just did a quick look so I can think about it through my day for now. I’ll get to this tonight!
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:46 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

But yes, Loud Loyal Fruit Vendor the Mafia wouldn’t be notified if targeted because Loyal makes the action unsuccessful on the first person’s part, not their target.

I think we could probably figure something out to do what you want, though.

Combined Loud Visitor Loyal Fruit Vendor kind of does the trick. The Loud Visitor would let any non ascetic know they were targeted, but Loyal Fruit Vendor would make it so only fruit show up if they are town. Combined means they always have to be with the same target, and it’s considered 1 action.
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:18 am

Post by Akarin »

Spoiler: Combined Loud Visitor Loyal Fruit Vendor PM
Combined Loud Visitor Loyal Fruit VendorWelcome, playername! You are a
Town Combined Loud Visitor Loyal Fruit Vendor

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to visit.
If your target is on the same team as you, they will be told:

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.

The role PM actually might be simpler this way even though the role name is longer.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:14 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Yeah, that looks good for that role PM.

I think you should still put the 3 no death nights rule. Makes it so scum can’t always No Kill purposefully after a No Fade. Just good to have.

I don’t really have too many complaints about the setup. Will wait for Mastina, of course. I could possibly see an additional town role being added with low power. The knowing the entire setup is interesting.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:33 pm

Post by mastina »

I think that the setup is in the balanced range on paper (but see below concern).
Scum know the setup and have three roles to check for the town power roles--but they have the same numbers as they would in a Mini, while the town has extra.

The town's roles are all fairly strong, with two kill-deniers and two investigatives, but I have one concern:
The Innocent Child Psychologist is likely to not ever get any results in the game. If they are protected by the Alien, they get No Result, and the scum knowing precisely the night that the Innocent Child was protected means that they can just off the IC the next night.

So on paper, it's in the balanced range, but if you want the psychologist to actually see use, I'd suggest splitting that role in half, leaving the IC as just the IC (or if you want the IC to have a power, some extra worthless ability that doesn't give the town extra power, like turning the IC into an IC Checker), and turning one of the VTs into a Psychologist (since I don't see any of the other roles that could have the Psychologist role tacked onto them).
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:48 am

Post by Akarin »

In post 7, mastina wrote: The Innocent Child Psychologist is likely to not ever get any results in the game. If they are protected by the Alien, they get No Result, and the scum knowing precisely the night that the Innocent Child was protected means that they can just off the IC the next night.
Honestly that's... kinda my intent.

At first I just had Innocent Child by itself. But I realized the ideal strategy for scum was just to leave the IC alive until either N2 or N3, checking them each night and killing the night after they get a No Result. Alien could try to WIFOM them into leaving the IC alive until N3 (and probably should) but that's all there was to it.

So I wanted to give Mafia a reason to consider wasting a shot on the IC on N1. Starting at odds it's not
totally
crazy because town also has to make them miss an NK to get an extra day, it ups the stakes on future NKs but I want it to
maybe
be worth trying, depending on other factors like how afraid they are of the IC. Psychologist has always seemed like a neat role to me, but a) it feels bad if the scum don't know it's there and b) because it's completely useless after a couple nights if they know it is. The Alien knows the mafia know the setup, the IC has no real reason
not
to claim Psychologist too, so I feel like giving it what amounts to a slightly worse 1-shot cop gives the Alien and the Scumteam a bit more WIFOM to play with on N1. But yeah, if the IC doesn't get to investigate N1, they die without ever getting to use it.

Basically I want scum to at least be tempted to waste a shot on the IC on N1 in exchange for definitely not getting investigated.

So do you think that's going to feel too bad for the IC?

And do you think that makes the setup scumsided?
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:56 am

Post by Akarin »

Innocent Child Watcher also occurred to me, but I worry that could make scum feel hosed if it does get a shot off and probably is strong enough it means the Alien should just flip a coin, whereas I feel like a weaker role tempts the Alien to risk letting them get a shot off a bit more, and tempts Mafia to not take their chances but still worry about it.

Not sure about this, just my thought process.

Also, honestly, I laugh every time I type "Innocent Child Psychologist" and that might contribute to my attachment to the role, but I really do want to aim for balance & fun (which no one wanted to discuss the difference between in my MD thread despite people always saying "well I think it's worth sacrificing balance in the name of fun sometimes.") So yeah, balance trumps role names that make me giggle.
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:34 am

Post by Akarin »

Note also that the Fruit Vendor is basically a Neapolitan, but Mafia can gambit by claiming fruit when they get visited and hoping it's not the Hider (or once the Hider is dead, but people should be
mostly
disregarding the Fruit as evidence at that point once claims/flips happen.)

I guess I have trouble estimating both what having an extra Day is worth to Town, and what knowing the setup is worth to scum. Which is even harder because I kind of want to play with a setup where Scum knowing the setup is critical to them to really take advantage of the idea.

Oh, I had these notes, maybe posting these here is helpful?
Spoiler: Other 15p 12v3 games
Games at this size:
Macho Day 3 IC, Neapolitan, Even-night RB, Doctor, JOAT (Tracker, Follower, Voyeur) vs Goon, Encryptor, Combined Tracker+Rolecop
Town sweeps but largely due to one player hitting guilties N1 and N2
Hard to tell how balanced it was because everyone was sour about the lucky town sweep and saying obviously dumb stuff like scum needing 4 players despite the 17p 4 scum games being mostly all scum wins, much less 15 player games.

Scum win, but Masons were apparently very bad/actively anti-town
mason x3, motion detector vs. 3x goon
no setup complaints

Town win
Indecisive Alien, Novice Neapolitan, Neighbor x2, Watcher vs Goon, Tracker, Watcher Enabler
Basically everyone agrees it was townsided because of the Watcher.

By the way, when I was looking at other games in this range trying to pick a player size I wanted, it's crazy how different the response to town wins vs. scum wins tends to be. Complaints about townsidedness on town wins are on everything, often with crazy scumsided counterproposals, but scum wins very rarely have any "this was too scumsided" complaints. The salt imbalance is real.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:42 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 8, Akarin wrote:So do you think that's going to feel too bad for the IC? And do you think that makes the setup scumsided?
Well, if you intend for the psychologist to not actually be used...then yes. The town, instead of two protectives and two investigatives, for all intents and purposes, has only the one investigative. It feels like it'd be in the 60-40 scum-town range because while the town knows that the scum know the setup, the town does not themselves know the setup.

The IC doesn't know about the alien, and the alien might get to know the ic is a psychologist but isn't guaranteed to know that (a setup revolving around a town PR claiming their power on D1 is generally not going to play out as expected given they may see reason not to claim). Plus, the town roles have strong anti-synergy. The alien targeting the hider is a waste; the alien targeting the hider's target may or may not effect the hider's hide (need to double-check on that interaction to see which takes priority, I
think
off the top of my head Alien > Hider in Normals but do need to check that interaction since I don't have it memorized off the top of my head), the alien can cause a false guilty by targeting either the fruit vendor or the fruit vendor's target, and the scum roles are very good at finding the town PRs quickly.

Mafia may not be multitasking, but their kill still counts as a pr checker of sorts, meaning that even lacking multitasking, they get to check for three power roles every single night that there's three alive.

One thing which I feel would bring it back to acceptable is a town voyeur. Voyeurs are normally a "throw it in" role for a town to bridge gap in power without actually giving them much, but in this case in this setup, I actually think that a Voyeur is
precisely
what the town needs if you want to keep the psychologist on the IC. The voyeur allows for the town to overcome a lot of their anti-synergies, without overpowering the town the way a stronger investigative would. It also can't generate a guilty (unless on a scum fakeclaim), but
can
generate situational conditional innocents.
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:30 pm

Post by Akarin »

Too tired from election to write up stuff, need to sleep on it, but it's funny because I had Town Voyeur in an earlier version of this (before the fruit vendor)!

I do also want to say that because of the Alien, scum often are going to want to target the same player with the checking two nights in a row to see if they're really a PR, or at least that was my assumption and I wanted to not limit that idea.

Voyeur can't see Alien, but can see Fruit Vendor and Hider. Do you think an un-flipped Fruit vendor is much of an innocent? I mean I do actually like the idea, just wondering if it's enough. Hider would be really weird for scum in this setup, so that's pretty good at least. I like that it makes scum wonder if one should claim checker, or if none should and just let town realize all the checking is scum and claim ascetic something.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:37 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Scum can have olds like Simple FV or Complex, which is relatively medium for scum.

Watcher is powerful, so I’d lean voyeur as well.
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:46 am

Post by Akarin »

Okay so new setup
15 players
3x Mafia Informed Checker

Ascetic Roaming Alien
Ascetic Compulsive Loud Hider
Innocent Child Psychologist
Combined Loud Visitor Loyal Fruit Vendor
Voyeur
7x VT

I'm happy with this, but is that enough for town?

Current version of role PMs coming in a minute.
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:51 am

Post by Akarin »

Spoiler: ROLE PMS
Mafia Informed CheckerWelcome, playername! You are a
Mafia Informed Checker

Abilities:

“NO RESULT.”

You share an evil den of superior taste with your team
PLAYERNAME
and
PLAYERNAME

Win condition:

You win when the entire
town
is dead and at least one
mafia

You are Informed that the setup for this game is:
  • 3x Mafia Informed Checker
  • Town Ascetic Compulsive Loud Hider
  • Town Ascetic Roaming Alien
  • Town Combined Loud Visitor Loyal Fruit Vendor
  • Town Innocent Child Psychologist
  • Town Voyeur
  • 7x Vanilla Townie
Sample Role PMs available upon request, but you’re not allowed to quote them.

Game thread is here.

Ascetic Compulsive Loud HiderWelcome, playername! You are a
Town Ascetic Compulsive Loud Hider

Abilities:

Each night you
MUST
target a player to hide behind.

If your action succeeds you will hide behind that player for the night, meaning you cannot be killed by actions targeting you but you will die if the player you hide behind is targeted for a kill and dies because of it.
If you ever fail to submit an action, you will automatically hide behind the first player still alive on the ordered list of players you sent me.

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Please confirm by replying with your role name, alignment, and
an ordered list of all players in the game

This is in case you fail to submit an action. You are free to update the order of this list by PMing me at any time.

Game thread is here.

Loud Night Result

PLAYERNAME paid you a visit last night.

Ascetic Roaming AlienWelcome, playername! You are a
Town Ascetic Roaming Alien

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to abduct.
If your action succeeds, any other actions targeting that player will fail and any actions your target attempts will also fail.
You cannot target the same player-slot more than once.

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.

Combined Loud Visitor Loyal Fruit VendorWelcome, playername! You are a
Town Combined Loud Visitor Loyal Fruit Vendor

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to visit.
If your target is on the same team as you, they will be told:

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.

Innocent Child PsychologistWelcome, playername! You are a
Town Innocent Child Psychologist

Abilities:

At the start of the game, I will publicly confirm that you are
town-aligned
If your action succeeds, you will learn whether or not your target is capable of killing but has yet to do so.

If your target can target a player to kill but has not yet done so, you will get:
“PLAYERNAME has the look of a killer.”
If your target has
either
already attempted to kill someone
or
is incapable of killing, you will get:
“PLAYERNAME seems innocent.”
“NO RESULT.”

This investigation resolves after night kills.

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.

D1 Start announcement

PLAYERNAME is aligned with the
Town

VoyeurWelcome, playername! You are a
Town Voyeur

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to watch.
If your action succeeds, you will learn what actions were used on your target that night.

You only learn the actions performed, not the names of the roles performing those actions.
You’ll get results from this list of actions:
RoleblockedJailkeptDoctoredBodyguardedBabysatNeighborized
Informed of FriendlinessHidden BehindReceived FruitVisitedReceived MailChecked
KilledStrongman KilledViggedTrackedFollowed
Investigated by a ...CopGunsmithRole CopVanilla CopNeapolitan
PsychologistDetectiveTraffic AnalystPT CopFinder
Watched by a ...WatcherVoyeurMotion DetectorRole Watcher

Results will be in the form of:
”PLAYERNAME was Xed, Yed, and Zed last night.”
If nothing was done to your target, you will get:
”Nothing was done to PLAYERNAME last night.”
”NO RESULT.”

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.

Vanilla Townie

Abilities:

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.

Trying to word the Voyeur PM was tough, I'm trying to stick with this giving specific results thing, and I find the NAR pages on the wiki pretty confusing so want to remove ambiguity.

Heck, I'm not even sure this is the form the results should be taking, but that's my best reading of the page. So really want to be unambiguous with the results the player should expect.
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:55 am

Post by Akarin »

My understanding is that the Alien is like a Rolestopper, so the Hider can't target the Alien-abducted player, right? And then the Hider would end up actually vulnerable to an NK that night.

Also, should I link the wiki on each of the relevant Voyeur results? It's not that big a deal to me if either of you think it would make the PM better (like if a player who isn't aware of the wiki gets the role???) Or does that just look bad at little benefit?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:57 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 12, Akarin wrote:Voyeur can't see Alien, but can see Fruit Vendor and Hider. Do you think an un-flipped Fruit vendor is much of an innocent?
Voyeurs don't see the exact role; to a Voyeur, a Fruit Vendor gives the exact same result as a Checker--"You saw a miscellaneous action". Same for Hider, actually--per this page (which is more used for Voyeur/Follower results), Hider is
also
a miscellaneous action.
So aside from the psychologist (who is a Role Investigation result), Miscellaneous is the only role result a voyeur can get, aside from 'action failed' or 'you did not see any action'. (Well, also 'nightkill' from targeting the scum kill I guess.)
In post 12, Akarin wrote:I mean I do actually like the idea, just wondering if it's enough.
I think it is, yes. I feel like the setup is on paper close to balanced without the town voyeur, it's just the in practice anti-synergy of the town roles + scum having the information advantage that pushes it into scumsided. With the voyeur, that bridges the in-practice gap so that the setup is more balanced in reality, at least in my opinion.

The one thing to be aware of is a Voyeur result from multiple miscellaneous actions, which I believe would separate them, e.g. "You saw three miscellaneous actions".
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:05 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 16, Akarin wrote:My understanding is that the Alien is like a Rolestopper, so the Hider can't target the Alien-abducted player, right? And then the Hider would end up actually vulnerable to an NK that night.
Correct.
And per what I said before: you'll need to redo the Voyeur role PM because Voyeurs don't get the exact role type or even modifiers, they get
only
the category of the role--"Your target was visited by (number--a, two, three, etc.) Blocking Action(s)", "Your target was visited by (number--a, two, three, etc.) Jailkeep Action(s)", "Your target was visited by (number--a, two, three, etc.) Protection Action(s)", "Your target was visited by (number--a, two, three, etc.) Miscellaneous Action(s)", "Your target was visited by (number--a, two, three, etc.) Killing Action(s)", "Your target was visited by (number--a, two, three, etc.) Role Investigation Action(s)", "Your target was visited by (number--a, two, three, etc.) Action Investigation Action(s) (not including your own)", "You did not see any actions target your target", or "Your action failed, and you receive no result", or something to that effect.
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:26 am

Post by Akarin »

VoyeurWelcome, playername! You are a
Town Voyeur

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to watch.
If your action succeeds, you will learn what kinds of actions were used on your target that night.

You’ll get results from this list of action types:
Blocking, Jailkeeping, Protection, Kill, Role Investigation, Action Investigation, Miscellaneous
You can see what actions fall into each category here.

Results will be in the form of:
”PLAYERNAME was Xed, Yed, and Zed last night.”
If nothing was done to your target, you will get:
”Nothing was done to PLAYERNAME last night.”
”NO RESULT.”

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.

“PLAYERNAME was Killed and Blocked last night.”
“PLAYERNAME had 3 Miscellaneous actions performed on them last night.”
“PLAYERNAME was Killed and had a Miscellaneous action performed on them last night.”
“PLAYERNAME was Protected twice and Killed once last night.

Also, just want to check, a hypothetical Babysitter would register as a kill IFF it actually died that night, right? Otherwise it would just always be a Protect?
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:29 am

Post by Akarin »

And can I just say the Voyeur (and Follower) pages are really unclear. Are Normal guidelines on the wiki protected or can anyone change them?

And if anyone can, it'd be too much of a giveaway while I have a setup in review, but how do you get permission to update the wiki? In case I wanted to take matters into my own hands once the game is over.
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:33 am

Post by Akarin »

Spoiler: RULES POST SLIGHTLY REVISED
Rules stolen from PenguinPower and various other moderators, all of whom stole from various other moderators.

Rules

General Rules
  • Since you’re on this site, follow site rules, obviously.
  • Pretending to break the rules is the same as breaking the rules.
  • Personal attacks, threatening to report people for game throwing when they don’t agree with you, etc. may get you force-replaced.
  • Quoting
    or discussion
    of the
    form
    of private communication is forbidden, although paraphrasing the
    content
    is fine, as is using a PT to write draft posts for your own use. DO NOT QUOTE REAL
    OR FICTIONAL
    PMs or PT THREAD POSTS.
  • Report attempts at out-of-game communication immediately.

• No ciphers, encryption, extremely small text, or similar tactics.
  • No provable randomness.
  • Once you tell me you’re replacing out, you are out. No backsies.
  • Bold (or PM) all requests to the Mod.

• This is my color. You cannot has.

• If you think I’ve made a mistake please PM me about it, if you’re still not happy let’s drop it and talk about it after the game.
  • Do not attempt to find or abuse loopholes in the rules. I’ll try to assume good-faith but loophole abuse will be punished and rules will be updated if there are problems. I’ll make a new post about changes to the rules if that happens.

Activity
  • Post once every 48 hours or get prodded.
  • If prodded, you have 24 hours to respond with a
    substantive post in game
  • A player who has been prodded 3 times may be replaced with no further notice.
  • If you plan on being inactive for more than 48 hours,
    PM me and post in thread that you're going to be V/LA
  • When V/LA, your prod timer is 96 hours. Don’t abuse this.
  • I might give you more time if you talk to me via PM ahead of time.
  • If you plan to have regularly scheduled V/LA period (e.g. the weekend) please PM me about it.

Deadlines
  • Days will last 10 days.
  • Nights will last 49 hours.
  • Extensions may be given out for replacements if it’s late in the day, or when I feel like it makes sense.
  • If you have a role with a Night action, your action is due by 1 hour before night ends.
    Players with a Night action may submit a "No Action" PM to indicate you do not wish to perform your action, I'd really appreciate that. I'll still accept one later if you change your mind before the deadline.

Voting
  • When a simple majority of all living players have voted for one person, that person is Dropped from the game and the day ends. If no one has a majority at deadline, no one is Dropped.
  • When a player is Dropped the game enters twilight and everyone can keep talking until I post the final vote count.
  • You may VOTE: No Drop — half of the living players voting No Drop is enough to end the day without dropping any of the players.
  • If no one dies for 3 consecutive day/night phases, the game ends with a victory for town.
  • Votes must use VOTE: Tags or
    Bold
  • Votes that use nicknames or have minor spelling errors will be counted as long as I unambiguously understand who you’re voting for. This counts for No Drop votes too.
  • Votes in quotes, spoiler tags or otherwise non-obvious will not be counted.
  • Stop talking once you’re dead, no bah posts.

Setup
  • Daytalk: anyone with a private topic can use it whenever they like.
  • ALL NON-TOWN-ALIGNED PLAYERS KNOW THE COMPLETE SETUP
    , just not the role randomization.
  • Factional abilities can
    not
    be used the same night as role abilities without the Multitasking modifier. I promise I won’t do anything lame like giving everyone Multitasking.
  • This is a normal game, so everything is normal.

Spoiler: Sample Role PM
A least one player has received this:
Vanilla Townie

Abilities:

Win condition:

town
town
player is still alive.

Game thread is here.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:56 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 19, Akarin wrote:Also, just want to check, a hypothetical Babysitter would register as a kill IFF it actually died that night, right? Otherwise it would just always be a Protect?
Correct.

And I'm pretty sure this works, so:
/pass!
Akarin
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Akarin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:52 pm

Post by Akarin »

Thanks!

So I already PMed someone about being a potential co-mod but they aren't getting back to me and I'm supposed to have one. Before I ask anyone else, either of you want to be the required co/backup mod since it's technically a large?

No pressure, you've both been really helpful already and honestly I find the review process kind of fun. Maybe I'm weird. But thank you both is what I'm trying to say.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Post by implosion »

I don't think normal guideline sections are protected. Just the normal game page itself.

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”