Mafia Engine Tool Development

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they/him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:14 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

I'm going to showcase both the Global Variables which I've already announced and also Role Specific information which is a new addition, but a cool one!

You can now make specific information that only shows under specific conditions, such as if their alignment is Mafia etc (such as for Mafia PTs). This took a bit to actually fix all the bugs that appeared but it's fully workable now. I am planning to add a more in depth boolean functions such as "and/or" operators as well as "not" operator instead of just "equals" so every role BUT Mafia sees someone etc.

"Am I a ghost like you, caught between the seams of two intertwining melodies?"

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:14 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 24, BBmolla wrote:Hey this kicks ass
Thank you ;)
I agree

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:17 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

I'm going to add a way for the user to change all the things the lexer uses to find handles etc. As well as possibly using cookies to store preferences, only if the user allows ofc to prevent paranoia for me stealing all yo passwords.

wiki // GTKAS
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:36 pm

Post by Psyche »

I really dig your interface. i'd be happy to make small scale contributions to your project on a weekly basis if it's designed in a way conducive to that
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:08 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Game Randing and Name Referencing

One issue I had when designing a few mock setups was that you can't make role-cards referring to a players name similar to.
Spoiler:
Welcome JacksonVirgo, you are a...

I've created a way to rand a game, which randoms the order of the player list, searches for new handles which I'm coining {{Player}} which gets the current players name such as in the example above and {{Player_X}} gets another players name, where X is the index of the role you're wanting the players name for, 1 being the first line in the spreadsheet and 4 being the fourth etc. With this you can effectively create Mafia PTs that show players names without having to manually add them to the card before sending it, which is the goal of this project. Example of this in practice can be found in the video below and in the spoiler for the Role Card of one of the Mafia.

Spoiler:
Welcome Trash Can! You are a
Mafia Tracker

Each night you may check a player to see who they visited, if anyone.

You are aligned with the worst

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:09 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 28, Psyche wrote:I really dig your interface. i'd be happy to make small scale contributions to your project on a weekly basis if it's designed in a way conducive to that
Thank you, for right now the code is a real mess so I've got to refactor a lot of it, may spend a day or two focusing just on that. I don't think I really need it at the moment as it's just a casual tool I'm working on but I might get back to you after I refactor.

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:24 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

You can now save the current template and all global variables to a file and then load it back up. Meaning you can save templates to file to re-use.

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:45 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

When trying to remake my old Mini Normal setup + rand to test. I ran into an issue where referencing a second player's name fails to work. I will be focusing on fixing that and if all goes well I'll get this version hosted to get it tested.

EDIT: The logic I was using to find them gets conflicted with previous {{Player_X}} tags, I'm going to rework the way I reference them. Right now I'm thinking making {{Player}}[4] like tags. Where that accesses player 4's name. {{Player}}[0] may get the current players name.

EDIT 2: I've found the problem so I am going to revert back to my old code and fix it, it was dumb.

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

An example of how it works in practice, I've created a google spreadsheet of all the information within the spreadsheet which you can find here

And using the following JSON file as the saved template/globals. It looks confusing but it's simply just storing the template string and an array of all of the global variables. Which is the winconditions, mafia PT link, game thread, confirmation message and describing the mafia factional kill.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

{"template":"[area={{Player}}]\n[b][color={{rcolour}}][size=150]{{align}} {{rname}}[/size][/color][/b]\n\n{{abilities}}```align=Mafia:\n\nYour partners are {{aligned}}.\n\n{{fac_kill}}\n\nYou can find the Mafia PT [url={{pt_mafia}}]here[/url]```\n\nYou can find the game thread [url={{game_thread}}]here[/url]\n\n{{confirm}}\n[/area]","globals":[{"id":1,"handle":"wincon_mafia","content":"You win when at least one Mafia is alive and all threats to the Mafia are eliminated or when nothing can stop that from happening"},{"id":2,"handle":"wincon_town","content":"You win when all threats to the Town are eliminated and at least one member of the Town is alive."},{"id":3,"handle":"confirm","content":"Confirm your role via replying with your role name, alignment and any abilities you have."},{"id":4,"handle":"fac_kill","content":"If you are not performing another action, and if no other is doing so, you may perform the factional kill each night."},{"id":5,"handle":"game_thread","content":"https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=12263829#p12263829"},{"id":6,"handle":"pt_mafia","content":"https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=84752&p=12263952#p12263952"}]}

I randed the game using the same player-list and roles as my Mini Normal setup (which has finished don't sweat your butt cheeks)
Spoiler: Example Role-Cards
PlusJoyed
Town Macho Doctor-Enabler

When you die, any Doctors will lose that ability. You cannot be protected from kills.

You can find the game thread here

Confirm your role via replying with your role name, alignment and any abilities you have.
bob3141
Town Doctor

Each night, if your action succeeds, you will protect a player from one attack.

Confirm your role via replying with your role name, alignment and any abilities you have.
MisaTange
Town Doctor

Each night, if your action succeeds, you will protect a player from one attack.

beeboy
Town Even-Night Role Cop

Every even-night, if your action succeeds, you will learn their role. Mafia Goons, Town Vanillas and Serial Killers will appears as Vanilla.

nopointinactingup
Town Odd-Night Gunsmith

Every odd-night, if your action succeeds, you will learn if they have a gun or not. You will get a positive result on all Mafia (except Traitors and Doctors), Cops, Vigilantes, Gunsmiths, Role Cops, Vanilla Cops, PT Cops, Vengefuls, Detectives, Neapolitans, Backups of roles with guns and JoATs that have any of these listed powers. You will get a negative result otherwise.

Staarling
Town Vanilla

You have no abilities.

Flubbernugget
Town Vanilla

You have no abilities.

derp
Town Vanilla

You have no abilities.

Keita
Town Vanilla

You have no abilities.

Hiraki
Town Vanilla

You have no abilities.

Noraa
Mafia Enabler-Finder

Each night, if your action succeeds, you will learn if your target is an Enabler or not.

Your partners are Glitch and Trendall.

If you are not performing another action, and if no other is doing so, you may perform the factional kill each night.

You can find the Mafia PT here

Glitch
Mafia Goon

You have no abilities.

Your partners are Noraa and Trendall.

If you are not performing another action, and if no other is doing so, you may perform the factional kill each night.

Trendall
Mafia Informed

You are informed that there are two Doctors.

Your partners are Glitch and Noraa.

I'm currently planning on making a way to reference the attributes of the roles such as the role name for confirmation etc. Also I've found sending the ENTIRE setup through PM is too large to send through a link. Just click the copy button and paste it into the PM.

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:56 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Current version is now hosted if anyone can test it in a mock-setup please do so and help me out. Send me a message on Discord or via PM here if you do so and/or need help. Any issues, no matter how big or small, let me know it so I can change it as the only tester I've had so far is myself and a few others in the very early stages.

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:38 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

I've created a mock main menu. Two of the three sections are functional the other two does nothing. Thoughts? I've also semi-made a decision on the name change.

wiki // GTKAS
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:44 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

Idea:

I CAT

I Created A Tool
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:45 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 36, Jake The Wolfie wrote:Idea:

I CAT

I Created A Tool
Purrfection

wiki // GTKAS
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:15 pm

Post by Gypyx »

In post 35, JacksonVirgo wrote:I've created a mock main menu. Two of the three sections are functional the other two does nothing. Thoughts? I've also semi-made a decision on the name change.

2 + 2 = 3

interesting... *sips coffee*
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (4/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:43 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Screen-scraping is fully functional for the replacement form as I've replaced the original logic and dependencies which broke heavily. You can see the showcase in the video below. All that's needed is the link to the game and the player that's getting replaced. That's it. The screen-scraper will find the Moderator name, which is the user who created the thread, it grabs the thread title (which should include the game type/number/name/phase anyway) and also the page count.

I am going to eventually add ways to manually add information that they don't want the screen scraper to grab. This includes the moderator, as if the game has been taken over by another moderator you don't want the old hosts name on it (and I want to avoid users having to still manually change the result as much as possible).

Now that the screen-scraping for that is functional, I am now slowly moving towards vote count territory. I know plenty already exist but I want this to be a main hub for a lot of different forum mafia related tools.

wiki // GTKAS
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:18 pm

Post by Psyche »

so are you aiming for extensibility? i'd love for there to be an easy way to plug tools i've been developing into your UI
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:46 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 40, Psyche wrote:so are you aiming for extensibility? i'd love for there to be an easy way to plug tools i've been developing into your UI
The general goal for this project is to have any tools regarding FM all in one place and easily accessible to avoid needing twenty billion links for all sorts of tools.

That being said, that does include aiming for extensibility and thus if I could think of an effective way to do so that would be great, although I am not sure exactly on how I could do so, at least for right now.

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:45 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

I'm currently in the process of moving from using Web Sockets into using a REST API as much as I can, the role formatting currently isn't functioning due to the changes but I'm planning to have that working again by the end of the weel.

You can effectively use my API to make your own tools if you wish and/or make it possible for me to make a desktop version of my site without redoing all the logic that I've made up to this point if that's something people are wanting once it's all completed.

How to use the API

The tool is currently being hosted by Heroku, meaning you can access the API via http://mafia-engine.herokuapp.com/api. This link doesn't go anywhere but it's the root access to all the http request URLs you will need.

http://mafia-engine.herokuapp.com/api/replacements which you can be seen utilised here by encoding the games URL into a value that can be safely passed through the URL and then decoded on the other side (using encodeURIComponent and decodeURIComponent respectively).

A Vote Counting version of it has been made as well, utilising a similar VC Settings as MathBlades Vote Counter to make things cross-compatible. I'm planning on making this compatible with other Vote Counting settings as well as not needing one at all if you want to simply check the last vote of all users that posted on the thread (if they voted at all).

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:30 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

If you thought I abandoned this project... you thought wrong!
I have added a lot more features and am very close to releasing this to the public!

If you have been excited for this project so far... I have a new addition I think will have you explode with even more!

If you want to be notified via PM once a public release for this project airs feel free to reply with a
/notify
or PM me directly.

Be patient...

wiki // GTKAS
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:37 am

Post by Ythan »

I'd like to keep an eye on this.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:55 am

Post by OkaPoka »

EGO
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2021 4:44 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

It has come to my attention that someone has spoken about myself and this tool in a pub near where I am staying at the moment. Small world

wiki // GTKAS
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2021 6:15 am

Post by Cook »

In post 46, JacksonVirgo wrote:It has come to my attention that someone has spoken about myself and this tool in a pub near where I am staying at the moment. Small world
:O

it's a scum world after all
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon May 10, 2021 4:23 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Chrome Browser Extension

I am now announcing that I have been working on a Chrome Browser Extension to make votecounting and replacement forms as seamless as possible. Why is it seamless? It creates buttons directly onto the MafiaScum web page and thus you have no need to ever leave the website to do what you need to do.

Currently it has two buttons.
- Vote Counter
- Replace User

Vote Counter

Assuming you have the correct settings in the OP of the game, this button will make a votecount for your game and place the formatted VC in the edit box.

Replace User

This button is below a users "details" and by pressing it you will be pushed towards the Replacement Thread where the replacement post will be placed in that edit box making the whole process seamless.

---

Why am I posting this now? Well I need some testers!
If anybody has a Chrome desktop browser or any Chromium based browsers such as Brave please hit me up so we can test this and make this project the best it can be!

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri May 14, 2021 1:29 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

I will use this post to explain how the vote count settings work.

Firstly, you have to have format things correctly to have the tool correctly grab the settings in the first place. In the following spoiler I will explain how to do exactly that.

Spoiler: Formatting
  1. Create a spoiler tag, in the first post, have the name be exactly

VoteCount Settings

2. For each setting, create an italics tag

[i][/i]
    in which to put the one setting and it's information within. This is so the tool can easily recognize each setting.
  3. Profit

Now for the settings themselves. I will also update this post as I add more

First Column -> The recommended setting name.
Second Column -> All possible setting names, all works the same.
Third Column -> Description on what the setting does.

If you find any confusing, let me know so I can have it reworded.

SettingAlternate Handles (N/A means it has none)Description
playersplayerListList each player separated by commas (,). You can shorthand replacements as well by splitting replacements by a colon (:) with the most recent slot being on the left.
slotsslotList, replacementList, replacementsList each slot separated by commas (,). Split replacements by a colon (:) where the most recent slot being on the left. It is recommended you use the shorthand part of the players setting, this is only here for cross-compatibility with MathBlades VoteScrubber.
aliasnicknames, nicknameList, aliasListIf a player goes by a name that isn't what the votecounter recognizes (e.g. JV for myself) then list the nicknames like this (JacksonVirgo: JV) and seperate each individual nickname by a comma, even if it is for the same user. e.g. (JacksonVirgo: JV, JacksonVirgo: Jackson)
moderatorsmoderatorList, moderatorNamesList each moderator or anyone that is not a player that needs to access the votecounter here (such as possible overseers, backups, co-mods etc), seperated by a comma (,)
deaddeadList, eliminatedList each player that has been eliminated/died here seperated by a comma (,)
deadlinetimerPlace here the EXACT time that you would put in the countdown tags for the End of Day. If this is shown, it will add a "Day ends in X" section at the bottom of the votecount.
edashedashweightEnter a number of which what amount of votes before hammer you would like to show the [E-X] suffix to each wagon. Default is 2 and that means that only those at E-2, E-1 and eliminated will be shown.
edashOnTopN/AEnter a number (I will refer as X), the top X players will have their edash suffix attached. Default is 1 (meaning just the top wagon/s)

wiki // GTKAS

Return to “Mafia Discussion”