Large Social Game Guidelines

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:52 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

If the challenge explicitly calls for at most five members of a tribe to participate (in any capacity, including strategizing beforehand) and you are not one of them, it should count as an "official sit out".
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 am

Post by PrivateI »

In post 23, VashtaNeurotic wrote:Okay, so not showing up to a semi-live challenge still counts as participating since it affects your tribe, similar to submitting a 0 for a challenge. In that case it seems good to me. The only case I think that fails to work would be if only 5/7 of a tribe are asked to show up, and 5 do show up, but not the hydra head.
In post 24, Cephrir wrote:
In post 23, VashtaNeurotic wrote:The only case I think that fails to work would be if only 5/7 of a tribe are asked to show up, and 5 do show up, but not the hydra head.
If I'm understanding this right, I would think it'd be the same as sitting out.
In post 25, D3f3nd3r wrote:If the challenge explicitly calls for at most five members of a tribe to participate (in any capacity, including strategizing beforehand) and you are not one of them, it should count as an "official sit out".
If I'm reading correctly, I think everyone is on the same page here (let me know if I'm misinterpreting it). But yes, we sometimes have challenges that require less than x people to participate (where x is the number of people currently on the tribe). Even if the people participating in the challenge are inclusionary rather than exclusionary (i.e. "Jim, Rahab, Jerome, SarahBeth, and Refrigerator are the five competing for our tribe", rather than "Ellen is sitting out for our tribe"), if the hydra head is either not included or is explicitly excluded, they would not count as "participating" for hydra head challenge alternation rules.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:22 am

Post by kdowns »

I think these are good rules to be implementing .
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:54 am

Post by Malkon05 »

I'm not sure if this needs to be expressly stated or not, but are there going to be rules on how many people can make up a hydra at any given time? Is it 2 at most or is that host discretion? Not that we've had 3+ hydras, but the rules seem to only take pairs into account.
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

In post 28, Malkon05 wrote:I'm not sure if this needs to be expressly stated or not, but are there going to be rules on how many people can make up a hydra at any given time? Is it 2 at most or is that host discretion? Not that we've had 3+ hydras, but the rules seem to only take pairs into account.
We had 3 hydras this year already.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:13 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

Malkon is asking about codifying the fact that a hydra has a maximum of two players
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:09 pm

Post by xofelf »

At this time we don't feel the need to make there be a rule about that. The size of the player base likely doesn't support having more than 2 people in a hydra at all in the first place, let alone the fact I don't imagine most mods would want to have a hydra that was bigger than 2 people, but if someone wants to give it a shot and see if it works out, more power to them. It just seems a bold risky move with no visible benefit IMO aside from an all-hydra sort of game.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:24 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

I guess then I'd offer a secondary scenario in that case.

If a mod team does want to have a 3+ person hydra, then how does the alternating rule work? Could two people on that hydra just swap back and forth for the challenges and the third just be along for the ride? I would caution against not at least giving thoughts to that regard. Like you said, the size of the player base probably wouldn't support that, but it's something that could happen and it feels like something at least worth discussing if that's a thing that isn't going to be expressly disallowed.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:21 pm

Post by Cephrir »

if that did end up getting done i think it would make sense to upgrade the rules to affect a third player in the same way it does the first two. probably not going to come up, tho.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:49 am

Post by Cephrir »

It has been suggested that we consider adding challenge timers (that is to say, a maximum time limit) to all challenges that could theoretically take unlimited time. The idea behind this reform would be to ensure that no challenge can possibly take vastly more time than the moderators expect it to. We have decided not to make a rule about this at this time, but we will be strongly suggesting that moderators use this practice in our listmod reviews.

My upcoming game will use challenge timers, which can be considered a trial run of the concept.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”