implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Kerset's Large Normal Review, August 2021

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:04 pm

Post by implosion »

Kerset wrote:Subject: Normal Queue Thread (Players and Mods)
Kerset wrote:/in to mod large
Cop
N1 Combined FriendlyNeighbor Neighborizer Cop
N2N3 Commuter
Ascetic Vengeful Townie
1-shot Babysitter Town Neighbor
7* VT

Cop-Finder
1-shot Loud Visitor
Mafia Neighbor
Informed Mafia (There are 5 town active power roles)
Last edited by implosion on Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:05 pm

Post by implosion »

Primary: Isis
Secondary: Gypyx

Sorry this took so long to get going!
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:15 pm

Post by Isis »

Oh I shouldn't have opened this yet. Gypyx post something so this gets marked unread
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:45 pm

Post by Gypyx »

wooo woo woo it's 2 in the morning and idk why i'm checking MS
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (9/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Isis »

I think the smell test says this amount of town and mafia power is balanced, but vengeful ascetic feels like a troll with this setup of roles. Using the day's elimination to kill someone who the nightplay confirmed is resistant to nightplay effects shouldn't be punished.

Splitting the role is probably fine? Since both are passive it wouldn't impact the tally for the informed. There's other stuff you could do also.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:58 pm

Post by Gypyx »

hmmmm, i kinda think the setup has a bit too much "random stuff" personally? Like, tell me if i'm wrong, but the "Vengeful" "1-shot Babysitter" or the neighborhood don't serve a crucial part in the setup?

heck, i'd say vengeful is even less effective than normal with the maf's information, like, they know that something is unclaimed in Lylo / MeLo
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (9/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:02 am

Post by Kerset »

There are two hyper powerful PR. It would be tough to play it without any protective role, especially with modern D1 claiming. On one hand ungated cop can be saved from death, on other hand there is neighbor, which might sabotage it, if it gains babysitter trust.

Vengeful is indeed just a filler. It was the best thing that crossed my mind. I guess ascetic could be moved elsewhere, i don't mind it.
giv me pagetop :(
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:23 am

Post by Isis »

Gypyx, "random" roles are like.. good. Roles that are more arbitrary are harder to guess in setup spec and allow the game's play to more frequently bend towards which players in the rand turn out to be successful in the dayplay rather than which players land the protagonist or antagonist roles of more scripted setups. I've consistently seen player feedback be more likely to be negative the stronger a designer was committed to a setup having a specific conceit and there's reasons that makes sense.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:24 am

Post by Isis »

I would pass this with the ascetic vengeful split and no other changes. Idk if you want to do something else instead
"Well, I..."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:34 am

Post by Gypyx »

In post 7, Isis wrote:Gypyx, "random" roles are like.. good. Roles that are more arbitrary are harder to guess in setup spec and allow the game's play to more frequently bend towards which players in the rand turn out to be successful in the dayplay rather than which players land the protagonist or antagonist roles of more scripted setups. I've consistently seen player feedback be more likely to be negative the stronger a designer was committed to a setup having a specific conceit and there's reasons that makes sense.
alright fair, i thought normals were actually supposed to not have a lot of moving parts, without being extremely straightfoward of course

plus the reasons make sens actually so ye i'm okay with keeping things that way

the thing tho, is that like, if we reach MeLo with the venge unclaimed, scum knows that there's an unclaimed role in that mix, and can reasonably guess it's a vengeful because really what role other than venge doesn't claim in that situation, so they can basically neutralize it by acting smart

which i though was bad but actually i'm supposed to think about balance so it's good probably?

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:34 am

Post by Isis »

Oh I misunderstood the informed ability. I thought "active town power roles" excluded roles that do not act at night. Maybe change the setup to the way I misread it to fix that issue? Lol
"Well, I..."
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 am

Post by Kerset »

I followed wiki description.
Wiki wrote:An Active Role is one that must choose whether to use their role-related ability, and/or who to use their ability on. Most power roles are active in nature; some examples include Cop, Doctor, and Mafia Goon.
Maybe i shall add wiki link to PM?

Fun fact is that i decided to add this informed role after i saw your post Isis. You said somewhere that game are more fun for mafia when they get some intel about town roles and you for instance decided to spoil entire setup to mafia.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:28 am

Post by Gypyx »

can't go wrong with adding wiki stuff yeah, active can also be reasonably mixed up with non-passive as Isis did

yeah btw, about the informed, i feel like it's a bit too weak to really weigh in that sorta "inform scum about this town to give them agency" stuff

like, picture this, you're scum, but know there are 5 active PRs, what does that mean, can you do anything with that ? Probably not, Maybe refine a bit the loud visitor's fake claim but that's it really

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:34 am

Post by Isis »

You are right and I am wrong! Mtg had influenced me, in that game's mechanics vengeful wouldn't be an "activated ability" it'd be a "triggered ability". Mtg has so much overlap with mafia playerbase that Ascetic role comes directly from mtg so I don't feel self centered mentioning that personal influence. Does not make me correct though, that wiki blurb is clear.

I would include the wiki blurb, yes, other people besides me could get confused.

I think I dont mind if the mafia figure out there's a vengeful.
"Well, I..."
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:47 am

Post by Kerset »

In post 12, Gypyx wrote:like, picture this, you're scum, but know there are 5 active PRs, what does that mean, can you do anything with that ? Probably not, Maybe refine a bit the loud visitor's fake claim but that's it really
In mid-game, you know how many more PR are hidden.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:50 am

Post by Gypyx »

In post 14, Kerset wrote:
In post 12, Gypyx wrote:like, picture this, you're scum, but know there are 5 active PRs, what does that mean, can you do anything with that ? Probably not, Maybe refine a bit the loud visitor's fake claim but that's it really
In mid-game, you know how many more PR are hidden.
fair, it's still pretty weak imo, but if that's what you wanna roll with go ahead

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:22 am

Post by Isis »

The vanilla townie is pretty weak too? I don't get it.
"Well, I..."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:25 am

Post by Gypyx »

In post 16, Isis wrote:The vanilla townie is pretty weak too? I don't get it.
you know what i mean by that >.>

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:55 am

Post by Isis »

I do not
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:56 am

Post by Isis »

I don't know if you think scum needs more power in the aggregate or if there is something misleading or what

It is a queue that has fruit vendors "this isn't a high impact power role" needs some kind of explanation as a criticism
"Well, I..."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:00 am

Post by Gypyx »

well, it isn't a criticism of the setup, which is probably in a good place with the suggested changes, more like "yo, i'm not sure the effect is what you were aiming for"

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:24 pm

Post by Isis »

I think she probably knew
"Well, I..."
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:05 am

Post by Kerset »

Spoiler: VT
Welcome x! You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no active ability.

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

Confirm by replying to this PM with a summary of your role.

Spoiler: Cop
Welcome x! You are a
Town Cop

You have the following active ability:
Each Night, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether that player wins with Town.

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

Spoiler: N1 Combined FriendlyNeighbor Neighborizer Cop
Welcome x! You are a
Town N1 Combined FriendlyNeighbor Neighborizer Cop

During Night 1, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will receive a message from the moderator that states that you are Town, additionally you will learn whether that player wins with Town, also private thread will be created for two of you, you may talk with each other at all time.

Spoiler: N2N3 Commuter
Welcome x! You are a
Town N2N3 Commuter

During Night 2 and Night 3, you may decide to commute. During commute you will be untargetable by any means.

Spoiler: Ascetic Townie
Welcome x! You are a
Ascetic Townie

Actions that target you, other than kills, will fail as if roleblocked.

You have no active abilities.

Spoiler: Vengeful Townie
Welcome x! You are a
Vengeful Townie

When you are eliminated, you may target another player in the game to attempt to kill them.

Spoiler: 1-shot Babysitter Town Neighbor
Welcome x! You are a
1-shot Babysitter Town Neighbor
You and z share a neighborhood. You may talk to them here at all time.

Once in the game at Night, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will be protected from one direct kill, but will die if you are killed.

Spoiler: Cop-Finder
Welcome to game! You are a
Mafia Cop-Finder
Your team-mates are x y z. You may talk to them here at all time.

You have the following active abilities:

Each night, if no other member of your faction is performing this action, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.
Each Night, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether that player is Cop.

You win if at least one mafia member is alive and all other players are dead (or if nothing can prevent the same).

Spoiler: 1-shot Loud Visitor
Mafia 1-shot Loud Visitor

You have the following active abilities:

Each night, if no other member of your faction is performing this action, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.
Once per Game during Night, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, your target will be notified that you visited them.

You win if at least one mafia member is alive and all other players are dead (or if nothing can prevent the same).

Spoiler: Mafia Neighbor
Mafia Neighbor
You and w share a neighborhood. You may talk to them here at all time.

Spoiler: Informed Mafia
Informed Mafia

You are informed that in this game there are exactly 5 town active power roles.

Your target wins with Town
Your target doesn't win with Town

Your target is Cop
Your target is not Cop

Kerset is member of town
Kerset visited you last night
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:17 am

Post by Gypyx »

Ascetic isn't accurate as they don't fail as if roleblocked, as the targeting player is still considered as targeting you

stating that the informed's info is redacted upon flip can't go wrong also

bottom text
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:34 pm

Post by Kerset »