Microsoft is Winning the Console War

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Microsoft is Winning the Console War

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:14 am

Post by House »

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/sony-create ... ing-label/

To know why this story matters, you need to understand that Microsoft didn't have any interest in console gaming whatsoever until a PS2 was hacked to boot to Linux.

That advancement raised alarms at Microsoft, and they were concerned that consoles could one day evolve to replace personal computers, so they developed the Xbox to become a player in the game. Given the current state of technology, those concerns were justified. Consoles have rapidly turned into their own flavor of personal computers in many ways.

With this new development from Sony, PC gamers will be able to enjoy games designed for the 3 major platforms¹ (PS, Xbox, and PC), which keeps computers a highly competitive - and arguably the dominant - gaming platform, which suits Microsoft just fine because that's Mission Accomplished.

Console hardware may eventually become as obsolete as Microsoft once feared consoles would make home computers.

¹ I did not include Nintendo as a major platform because they have basically converted into some mobile hybrid abomination. On a related note, Valve is developing the Steam Deck to compete directly with the Switch (which I pre-ordered the second I heard about it).
The apology that resulted in my indefinite ban:

https://tinyimg.io/i/ZX5Yjhw.png
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:07 am

Post by lendunistus »

microsoft has literally already had an (almost) monopoly on PC gaming since the majority of games that release on steam, GOG, etc are windows-only

granted, they can’t charge fees off those games unless they’re being sold through microsoft’s own storefront but windows has still been
the
PC gaming OS (and
the
OS for mainstream usage in general) for ages

the only reason PC gaming is on the rise right now is because consumers are starting to realize that modern consoles are fundamentally just locked down PCs
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:10 am

Post by lendunistus »

also, sony has sold more than 10 million units of the PS5 by now and they’re getting even more money from PS plus subscriptions, PS store fees, etc

sony’s releasing some older PS4 games on steam to appease the crowd. sony and the playstation brand are NOT about to die.

if sony were to release uncharted 5 or something on steam like a day after the PS5 release I’d see your argument
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:52 am

Post by House »

In post 1, lendunistus wrote:microsoft has literally already had an (almost) monopoly on PC gaming since the majority of games that release on steam, GOG, etc are windows-only

granted, they can’t charge fees off those games unless they’re being sold through microsoft’s own storefront but windows has still been
the
PC gaming OS (and
the

the only reason PC gaming is on the rise right now is because consumers are starting to realize that modern consoles are fundamentally just locked down PCs
This isn't about Windows.

It's a given that iOS & *nix are shit for gaming, in comparison.

Thing is, consoles used to be preferable to a pc not only because of exclusives, but also because they were more stable due to proprietary hardware & uniformity. Developers didn't have to design games for a kajillion different potential builds.

lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:01 am

Post by lendunistus »

In post 3, House wrote:
In post 1, lendunistus wrote:microsoft has literally already had an (almost) monopoly on PC gaming since the majority of games that release on steam, GOG, etc are windows-only

the
PC gaming OS (and
the

This isn't about Windows.

It's a given that iOS & *nix are shit for gaming, in comparison.

Thing is, consoles used to be preferable to a pc not only because of exclusives, but also because they were more stable due to proprietary hardware & uniformity. Developers didn't have to design games for a kajillion different potential builds.
just to be clear, you're saying that since sony is starting to port their games to PC, we're moving towards a state in which consoles are obsolete, which benefits Microsoft, correct?

I don't think that's the case, since sony's only porting their older games over. plus, consoles still have appeal towards mainstream consumers since building a PC equally specced to a PS5 is way more expensive and most families already have a PC in their home to use word or whatever, so they won't go for a gaming PC when little timmy can work out a PS5 just fine
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:44 am

Post by House »

In post 4, lendunistus wrote:just to be clear, you're saying that since sony is starting to port their games to PC, we're moving towards a state in which consoles are obsolete, which benefits Microsoft, correct?
Yes

Not tomorrow, obviously, but Sony has given up precious ground. Although PlayStation games being ported to pc is nothing new, in the past that decision was always made by the game developer after exclusivity rights expired. This is Sony making the decision. That's a difference with a distinction.

The day I read about the PS2 being hacked to run *nix, I knew the game had changed forever. It didn't happen overnight, but that event was a catalyst for Microsoft throwing their hat in the ring.

This decision by Sony is another game changer.

With the Steam Deck release being right around the corner (not to mention Game Pass making pc games available cross platform so you can actually play some of them on your phone/tablet), that gives pc gaming another edge that Sony has abandoned - mobility.

Sony's accidental evolution into personal computing directly led to Microsoft's evolution into a gaming powerhouse. All because Sony wanted to add a hard drive.

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:55 am

Post by House »

If Microsoft and Nintendo work out a partnership to bring Game Pass to the Switch, it could tank PlayStation outright... and it wouldn't be the first time Microsoft bailed out a failing tech company. Apple is still around today because of Microsoft.

lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:44 am

Post by lendunistus »

In post 6, House wrote:If Microsoft and Nintendo work out a partnership to bring Game Pass to the Switch, it could tank PlayStation outright... and it wouldn't be the first time Microsoft bailed out a failing tech company. Apple is still around today because of Microsoft.
> Nintendo
> failing

no.

I get that from your perspective, the Switch may not be satisfactory and the games might not be that great, but they're still getting a crap ton of sales. nintendo is known for their gimmicks and great games (although the latter might be starting to fade), not exactly powerful hardware

also, Nintendo execs literally laughed at Microsoft's execs when they proposed to buy Nintendo so I don't think what you proposed is happening
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:23 am

Post by House »

Microsoft doesn't have to buy Nintendo. :lol:

They didn't buy Apple. :roll:

lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:10 pm

Post by lendunistus »

In post 8, House wrote:Microsoft doesn't have to buy Nintendo. :lol:

They didn't buy Apple. :roll:
my point was that Nintendo would probably be opposed to cooperation with Microsoft and the Xbox brand

if they want to make a Nintendo Game Pass (which they probably don't) they'll do it themselves
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:54 pm

Post by House »

Wouldn't be worth it. They lack the library, and at this point, probably the resources. Game Pass would help Nintendo by giving the Switch a reason to exist. Nintendo doesn't really offer much benefit to Microsoft.

Nintendo is a shell of its former self, primarily being supported by
cultists
loyalists.

Nintendo's obsession with cartridge games did a lot of damage, and half-assing their way into the cd-rom era with the GameCube (which was still limited as much as a cartridge based system because the media & reader were both proprietary) did little to mitigate that.

The Switch is basically a modified tablet. They're not even trying, anymore.
Last edited by House on Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:57 pm

Post by House »

Anywho, it's not like Microsoft particularly needs Nintendo on board, with Valve coming out with the Steam Deck.

Put my preorder in for that bad boy a while back. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Spangled
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:47 pm

Post by Spangled »

Nintendo makes good games and has a great brand, so they’ll keep on going. But ultimately Microsoft will be much bigger than them, because Nintendo, both, doesn’t experiment as much, and also isn’t as money-hungry. Microsoft squeezes its consumers as much as it can, whereas Nintendo, they just do their own thing.
I proved myself a coward, who would desert a dying man.
---
Check out 15.ai, it does generated voices for characters and it’s pretty neat.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:22 am

Post by House »

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:39 am

Post by House »

In post 12, Spangled wrote:Microsoft squeezes its consumers as much as it can
I have access to a vast library of games that I can play on my computer, Series X,
or smartphone
(via cloud gaming) that I would otherwise never play because I'm not going to go out and buy hundreds of games.

Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:25 pm

Post by Who »

In post 0, House wrote:To know why this story matters, you need to understand that Microsoft didn't have any interest in console gaming whatsoever until a PS2 was hacked to boot to Linux.
And Sony had no interest until Nintendo decided not to use CDs in the Nintendo 64, at which point they entered to ensure that their storage medium would become dominant. They solidly accomplished that goal.
In post 11, House wrote:Anywho, it's not like Microsoft particularly needs Nintendo on board, with Valve coming out with the Steam Deck.

Put my preorder in for that bad boy a while back. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.
The steam deck uses Linux, right? This seems more like an argument that Valve is winning the console war. But focusing on the Microsoft vs Sony console war is a mistake, the real console war happening at the moment is Valve vs Facebook.
In post 12, Spangled wrote:Nintendo ... isn’t as money-hungry.
Their attitude towards old games says otherwise.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:08 am

Post by House »

In post 15, Who wrote:The steam deck uses Linux, right? This seems more like an argument that Valve is winning the console war. But focusing on the Microsoft vs Sony console war is a mistake, the real console war happening at the moment is Valve vs Facebook.
Wrong!

Microsoft doesn't need people to use Windows to win the gaming war. They need people to be spending money on Microsoft (and away from proprietary consoles)... which will still happen via GamePass.

Even though the Steam Deck uses Linux, it still provides a benefit to Microsoft by giving PC gamers a much needed mobile option. This will be particularly helpful if the Steam Deck provides support for Game Pass.

There's more to marketing wars than just increasing one's own sales. Depriving the competition of sales is also essential. Valve is indirectly benefiting Microsoft, and it remains to be seen whether that support will become more direct in the future.

Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:50 am

Post by Who »

What does winning the console war look like? Selling more XSXs than PS5s? Consoles going out of business entirely and leaving us with only PC gaming? Only PlayStation going out of business leaving the XSX the sole console (well, besides Nintendo but you’re ignoring them)

Selling more XSXs than PS5s seems entirely possible but it’s too soon to tell. The likelihood of consoles going out of business entirely depends on what is meant by “console”. PlayStation going out of business while XSX remains seems very unlikely, if anything it would be the reverse. The XSX is just a shitty gaming PC, the PS5 is a shitty gaming PC with some exclusives which gaming PCs don’t and won’t have. Also they’re a player in the VR console war.

Also are you counting the Oculus as a console? It’s a standalone device for playing video games, it seems like a console to me.
Who said that?
Or is it?
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:34 am

Post by House »

In post 17, Who wrote:What does winning the console war look like?
As far as I'm concerned? PS having roughly the same status as Nintendo. A shadow of its former glory.

Nintendo was king once, back in it's glory days. Then, PlayStation changed the scene with games on CD-ROM & Nintendo did not evolve quickly enough to survive and now only has a small collection of dedicated customers.

PlayStation could easily share that fate, if they lack an answer to Game Pass.

Where Nintendo wanted to hold onto cartridge based games, Sony wants to hold onto console based gaming.

Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:49 pm

Post by Who »

In post 18, House wrote:As far as I'm concerned? PS having roughly the same status as Nintendo.
The Nintendo Switch has sold over 92 million units so far. Microsoft's best selling game console, the 360, sold a mere 84 million units. If the PS5 outselling Microsoft's bestselling console will win Microsoft the console war then... it could happen, no guarantees but so far even the worst selling Playstation still outsold the best selling xbox so yeah there's a decent chance that Microsoft "wins" the console war by that metric.

I think you're projecting your personal hatred of Nintendo onto everyone else. If Nintendo is only kept alive by a small collection of dedicated customers then no Xbox has ever attracted anything more than a small collection of customers.
Who said that?
Or is it?
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:17 pm

Post by House »

In post 19, Who wrote:
In post 18, House wrote:As far as I'm concerned? PS having roughly the same status as Nintendo.
The Nintendo Switch has sold over 92 million units so far. Microsoft's best selling game console, the 360, sold a mere 84 million units. If the PS5 outselling Microsoft's bestselling console will win Microsoft the console war then... it could happen, no guarantees but so far even the worst selling Playstation still outsold the best selling xbox so yeah there's a decent chance that Microsoft "wins" the console war by that metric.

I think you're projecting your personal hatred of Nintendo onto everyone else. If Nintendo is only kept alive by a small collection of dedicated customers then no Xbox has ever attracted anything more than a small collection of customers.
It hasn't. Microsoft isn't focused on console sales, unlike the other console manufacturers.

Microsoft's future in the gaming industry isn't the Xbox. It's Game Pass. Xbox is just one medium among several that can utilize Game Pass.

Cloud gaming is this era's game changer. Gamers aren't stuck having to buy a console to play their games, if they don't want to, or wait until they get home to play if they're on a trip.

I can fire up Skyrim on my Series X, swap over to the same save file on my pc, and even fire it up on my smart phone when I'm out and about.

As of yet, Sony can't compete with that. Nintendo comes closest with that hybrid bastardization that is the Switch, but their library is a ghost of what it used to be.

Yeah, I don't deny that I hate Nintendo. I'm bitter to this day that they refused to embrace the future back when cd-roms were introduced. Their Wii sucked. The Switch is crippled because they're Nazis about any kind of modding, to the point of bricking the Switch and banning the account. I can understand refusing to support Switches that have had modded games installed, but making the demands they've made on hardware the consumer is supposed to own?

Fuck. That.

I hope Sony DOES learn from Nintendo's mistakes and comes out with their own answer to Game Pass, but considering they're giving up ground to PC gaming, I'm not going to hold my breath.

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:10 pm

Post by House »

Guess I'll play some Fallout New Vegas on my Galaxy S21 Ultra while I wait for people to tell me how nobody cares about cloud gaming.

Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:32 pm

Post by Ythan »

I hope your courier's name is House.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:12 am

Post by House »

In post 22, Ythan wrote:I hope your courier's name is House.
I have a few. My favorite is Six, so that being addressed as "Courier Six" is more than just a numerical designation.

Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:20 am

Post by Who »

In post 20, House wrote: It hasn't. Microsoft isn't focused on console sales, unlike the other console manufacturers.

Microsoft's future in the gaming industry isn't the Xbox. It's Game Pass. Xbox is just one medium among several that can utilize Game Pass.
That doesn't sound like winning, that sounds like abandoning.
Cloud gaming is this era's game changer. Gamers aren't stuck having to buy a console to play their games, if they don't want to, or wait until they get home to play if they're on a trip.
If Cloud gaming is so important then sounds like the console war has been won by Google with the Google Stadia.
I can fire up Skyrim on my Series X, swap over to the same save file on my pc, and even fire it up on my smart phone when I'm out and about.
I don't see what value the Series X provides in this.
As of yet, Sony can't compete with that. Nintendo comes closest with that hybrid bastardization that is the Switch, but their library is a ghost of what it used to be.
It's big enough for over 92 million people.
Yeah, I don't deny that I hate Nintendo. I'm bitter to this day that they refused to embrace the future back when cd-roms were introduced. Their Wii sucked. The Switch is crippled because they're Nazis about any kind of modding, to the point of bricking the Switch and banning the account. I can understand refusing to support Switches that have had modded games installed, but making the demands they've made on hardware the consumer is supposed to own?

Fuck. That.
Okay yeah if you're hating Nintendo for their approach to modding I'll join in. Other things they've done include: Threatening legal action vs mod developers, threaten to pull support from esports tournaments if they had any modded play, and autobanning anyone who mentions a mod on their platform, even if said mod is abbreviated "PM", which is a bit overzealous. Yeah fuck Nintendo and their approach towards mods.
I hope Sony DOES learn from Nintendo's mistakes and comes out with their own answer to Game Pass, but considering they're giving up ground to PC gaming, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Nononono, put down the monkey's paw. Do you remember the glory days of Netflix? Back when it was the only streaming service around and it had everything? Now TV/Movies are fractured across a multitude of different platforms, is this what you want to happen to videogames? Well wish granted. They already have PlayStation Now, but they're working on something new: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -game-pass
Who said that?
Or is it?

Return to “The Arcade”