[SETUP] 3rd Party Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/them

[SETUP] 3rd Party Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:54 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

I searched for the name and couldn't find it, but it seems kinda obvious for the name of a game so if I've missed something I'm happy to change it.

Roles
Mafia Condemner
Mafia Savior
Mafia Survivor

Jester

X Vanilla Townies

The Condemner and Savior target a random vanilla town, who do not know they are targeted.

FactionsThe Mafia retain their factional kill. However the Mafia win by meeting at least 2 out of 3 of their 3rd party win cons, killing can help meet that goal but is incidental to the win con. The Condemner's and Savior's targets are revealed on death, giving feedback to the town.

The Town win if at least 2 out of 3 of the Mafia fail at their 3rd party win con.

The Jester wins if they are eliminated, and loses otherwise. Their victory ends the game with other factions losing.

Game EndMafia and Town win conditions are checked on the normal endgame conditions for a game of Mafia, all Mafia dead, or Mafia equal or outnumber remaining town.

I don't really know how to go about determining a good number of townies, that's the main feedback I'm looking for.
Last edited by Mizzytastic on Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/them

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:45 pm

Post by Dwlee99 »

I'd suggest not making the jester game ending.
I prefer they, thanks :)
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:24 am

Post by Kerset »

soo after d1 Savior target haven't been voted out and Survivor is still alive. GG EZ?
giv me pagetop :(
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:33 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

In post 1, Dwlee99 wrote:I'd suggest not making the jester game ending.
I was umming and ahhing over this, I'm pretty sure I had a reason when I wrote this but I lost it, I'll see if I can remember it.
In post 2, Kerset wrote:soo after d1 Savior target haven't been voted out and Survivor is still alive. GG EZ?
I didn't make the endgame condition clear. The game ends (ignoring the jester which I am no reconsidering) when all mafia are dead (in which case the survivor obviously failed both the saviour and condemner need to have succeeded), or mafia tie/outnumber town in which case if the survivor is still alive the mafia only need one of the other two conditions to have succeeded.
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/them

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:40 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

If mafia night kill the savior target, don't they automatically reach 1 out of the 2 needed to win?

Also let's say Mafia Savior + Mafia Condemner are alive, survivor is dead, and the savior and condemnee target are both alive. Should this be a scum win, because if the game continued on mafia could force the condemnee target to be voted out, or no?

I'm also thinking: maybe this concept could be reworked with the savior replaced with a mafia jester? And get rid of the other jester?

So setup could be

Roles
Mafia Condemner
Mafia Jester
Mafia Survivor

X Vanilla Townies

I think this is better because savior is kind of a free point for scum unless the savior gets eliminated by all town on day one. This setup punishes town for eliminating the wrong scum which is a problem though, so might still need readjustments. This does have an interesting dynamic though where scum are both trying to eliminate one of their own but also a specific townie, which could possibly give town more info to work with?
I prefer they, thanks :)
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:30 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

In post 4, Dwlee99 wrote:If mafia night kill the savior target, don't they automatically reach 1 out of the 2 needed to win?

Also let's say Mafia Savior + Mafia Condemner are alive, survivor is dead, and the savior and condemnee target are both alive. Should this be a scum win, because if the game continued on mafia could force the condemnee target to be voted out, or no?

I'm also thinking: maybe this concept could be reworked with the savior replaced with a mafia jester? And get rid of the other jester?

So setup could be

Roles
Mafia Condemner
Mafia Jester
Mafia Survivor

X Vanilla Townies

I think this is better because savior is kind of a free point for scum unless the savior gets eliminated by all town on day one. This setup punishes town for eliminating the wrong scum which is a problem though, so might still need readjustments. This does have an interesting dynamic though where scum are both trying to eliminate one of their own but also a specific townie, which could possibly give town more info to work with?
That is another set up I considered for this idea. The main idea was just the mafia all having 3rd party goals they need to achieve a majority, what 3rd party goals didn't matter as much to me. I feel like it creates an interesting voting dynamic for town to try and parse.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”