They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:08 pm

Post by DkKoba »

backup scum neighbor can exist
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:09 pm

Post by DkKoba »

and it has been used before :P
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:36 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 24, Ircher wrote:Going by the wiki, the normal guidelines section for universal backup says it inherits any non-vanilla role of the same alignment. A neighbor would return a non-vanilla result to a vanilla cop, so it should be able to be inherited.
Does a neighbor return a non-vanilla result to a vanilla cop?

I have always treated neighbor (with nothing more) as, effectively, a modifier to the Vanilla Townie role. As, technically, being a Vanilla (Townie/Goon) Neighbor.

It's not a true power role; the NRG basically universally treats neighbors as power-neutral in games because neighbors do not add anything on their own to the game, barring niche game mechanics/roles being in play to make the neighborhoods have tangible value.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:39 pm

Post by DkKoba »

i find neighbors to be moreso enhancers to players with social skill
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:39 pm

Post by DkKoba »

if a strong scum player and a weaker town player are in a hood together, it creates a stronger benefit for town, for instance.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:39 pm

Post by DkKoba »

for scum ***
retired
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:40 pm

Post by Ircher »

I checked the wiki page for vanilla cop.
Vanilla Cop is considered Normal on mafiascum.net. When the role is called "Vanilla Cop", Vanilla Townies, Mafia Goons, and Serial Killers with no additional powers return a "Vanilla" result, while all other roles return "not Vanilla".
By that definition, neighbors return a non-vanilla result to vanilla cops.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:49 pm

Post by DkKoba »

ircher, with knowledge that the UB isnt instant cleared, how would you classify it?
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:49 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 23, Ircher wrote:
In post 22, mastina wrote:
In post 20, DkKoba wrote:And to be clear: if a regular neighbor dies, that inherits the role too, I am assuming.
I'm fairly certain Neighbor does not count as a role for UB.
I am actually pretty sure that the opposite is true which may be a problem since universal backup --> neighbor effectively makes the slot confirmed town. I will see if I can find a reference for that tonight.

If I'n wrong about that, everything else looks fine.
since you did say this
retired
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:26 pm

Post by implosion »

neighbors aren't considered vanilla, UB can inherit it. Technically something like a neighbor cop is a multirole. They're just another one of those roles that you
can
formalize in a lot of ways but whichever way you pick you're gonna confuse someone.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:52 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 34, implosion wrote:neighbors aren't considered vanilla, UB can inherit it. Technically something like a neighbor cop is a multirole. They're just another one of those roles that you
can
formalize in a lot of ways but whichever way you pick you're gonna confuse someone.
wdym?
retired
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:08 pm

Post by implosion »

For the purpose of this setup I'm saying this is correct:
In post 24, Ircher wrote:Going by the wiki, the normal guidelines section for universal backup says it inherits any non-vanilla role of the same alignment. A neighbor would return a non-vanilla result to a vanilla cop, so it should be able to be inherited.
In general I'm just saying that there's a formal notion of a multirole in normals and technically something like a neighbor cop was in a bit of a grey zone in terms of legality before that notion was introduced. It was allowed but I was always not really sure why, iirc.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:49 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 32, DkKoba wrote:ircher, with knowledge that the UB isnt instant cleared, how would you classify it?
In that case, I'm fine with the setup. I would suspect that most people are still going to townread a Universal Backup --> Neighbor interaction, but with it not be clearing, I don't think it affects the balance significantly enough to bring it outside of balanced range. I don't have anything else to add that mastina hasn't already said.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:50 pm

Post by mastina »

I'm also good balance-wise but still need the role PMs/results/rules/etc.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:52 pm

Post by DkKoba »

yup!

i'll write them up now.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:53 pm

Post by DkKoba »

wdym by results/rules btw?

also that reminds me of the project i wanted to undertake to standardize all role PMs on the wiki so there's examples for everyone to go to, pls someone help me compile them :P
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:55 pm

Post by DkKoba »

oh also:

Built in multitasking: ON

Global daytalk: ON

that was a bit of a given but yeah, doesnt affect the setup minus speculation on player's parts
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:56 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Vanilla TownieWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Vanilla Townie.

You have no special powers.

You win when all mafia members are dead and at least one town member remains alive.

Please respond to this PM indicating you understand your role and your win condition.
The game thread is here (link).

just putting in a VT PM for a baseline since I'm going to type them all up in here :P here goes.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:47 pm

Post by DkKoba »

oh i didnt realize there would be the ability to just immediately snipe that mini spot and itd be mine and i was rushing to write up PMs .. i guess ill relax for now in that case ...
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:50 pm

Post by DkKoba »

was looking for a more standardized looking Detective role PM but couldn't find one
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:02 pm

Post by DkKoba »

All possible town roles are typed up:

Spoiler: Vanilla Townie
Vanilla TownieWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Vanilla Townie.

You have no special powers.

You win when all mafia members are dead and at least one town member remains alive.

Please respond to this PM indicating you understand your role and your win condition.

Spoiler: Town Neighbor
Town NeighborWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Town Neighbor

You are neighbors with XXX, YYY, and ZZZ. You may talk to them at night in the thread linked here: (link)

The game thread is here: (link)

Spoiler: Town 2 Shot Gunsmith Neighbor
Town 2 Shot Gunsmith NeighborWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Town 2 Shot Gunsmith Neighbor

You are neighbors with XXX, YYY, and ZZZ. You may talk to them at night in the thread linked here: (link)
Twice in the game, at night, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether or not that player has a gun. Roles that have a gun are: all Mafia (except Traitors and Doctors), Cops, Vigilantes, Gunsmiths, Role Cops, Vanilla Cops, PT Cops, Vengefuls, Detectives, Neapolitans, Backups of roles with guns and JOATs that have any of these listed powers.

Spoiler: Town Universal Backup
Town Universal BackupWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Town Universal Backup

You will inherit the role of Town power roles who die, losing this ability in the process.

You have no active abilities.

Spoiler: Town Novice Detective
Town Novice DetectiveWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Town Novice Detective

Starting on Night 2 you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether or not that player has attempted to kill anyone directly. (Directly in this case means not due to a secondary effect from a role, such as a Babysitter or a Weak modified role)

Spoiler: Town Even Night Jailkeeper
Town Even Night JailkeeperWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Town Even Night Jailkeeper

On even numbered nights, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will be protected from kills that night, but all their actions will be blocked that night.

retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:03 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Gunsmith may receive in this game: Has gun, Does not have gun, or No Result

Universal Backup may receive a new role PM from the others, and if inheriting the 2 shot Gunsmith, will receive the number of shots left.

Town Novice Detective may receive in this game: Has attempted to kill, Has not attempted to kill, or No Result

That is it for town roles
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:25 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Mafia Roles:
Spoiler: Mafia Goon
Mafia GoonWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Mafia Goon
Your partners are YYYY,
Mafia Neighbor
, and ZZZZ,
Mafia Universal Backup Finder
. You share a private topic that you may talk in at night here: (link) , and you share a factional kill that one of your members may carry out each night.

You have no additional abilities.

You win when the mafia control 50% of the town or nothing can prevent this.

The game thread is here: (link).

Spoiler: Mafia Neighbor
Mafia NeighborWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Mafia Neighbor
Your partners are YYYY,
Mafia Goon
, and ZZZZ,
. You share a private topic that you may talk in at night here: (link) , and you share a factional kill that one of your members may carry out each night.

Spoiler: Mafia Universal Backup Finder
Mafia Universal Backup FinderWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Your partners are YYYY,
Mafia Goon
, and ZZZZ,
Mafia Neighbor

Every night, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn if that player possesses the role "Universal Backup".

retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:28 pm

Post by DkKoba »

UB finder, I am assuming based on how UB works, does not receive a positive result on the player that was UB after they inherit a role.
retired
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:47 pm

Post by implosion »

Yeah, it's mostly just I don't want there to be no game in signups and there's never a guarantee of how long any given step of the process will take. Rest assured as soon as we're good here this game will be teed up (unless one of the mods who haven't been available comes out of hiding)

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”