Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
TAX
TAX
Goon
TAX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:52 am

Post by TAX »

Can someone make make a comment about my post.
^ I believe Socrates once said that.
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:53 am

Post by rolandofthewhite »

:|
Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:55 am

Post by PokerFace »

TAX wrote:Ashamed Lyncher- You are pro-town. If three people you voted to lynch were innocent you hang yourself.
I think this would better fit as a worse role idea. Its essentially a townie with a contious who kills himself putting the town even further behind then they were after 3 mislynches.

Still an interesting role I wouldn't mind using sometime, but I wouldn't call it a Best role. But since it hurts itself and the town it is a good role for bastard modding.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:06 am

Post by PokerFace »

When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

popsofctown wrote:that kind of goes against a core part of mafia doesn't it?...
I look at it as similar to a stump, only it can only be activated upon death. Most effects of death still take place (most notably its effect on the player count), the mafia just won't be able to silence that person by killing him or her.

And it's not like I'd suggest anybody make an all-ghost town. It'd be one player, who very well might look at the role as sort of a weakened version of bulletproofing.

And TAX: I don't think it'd be of much use to the mafia.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:41 am

Post by popsofctown »

hmm.. on that explanation i think it seems more favorable.

I think more information would come out of the idea if you reversed it though:
Disgruntled Spectre

You aren't human, you're a ghost that looks human. Jealous of the other spirits in the town who have true mortal houses, you aim to separate all of them from there bodies just like you've been. (The process involves a silver necklace, a crystal ball, and a large mushroom).
You are similar to an SK. Every night you separate someone from their body, excluding them from the tally that goes towards their faction, taking away their vote and other powers, and immuning them from being a target of any actions (except post mortem actions on your body). They can only speak.
Members of non-town factions immediately go to hell if separated. They have no voice.
It's always clear that any of your victims were not killed, but separated from body, because the uninhabited body is still breathing and performing basic survival functions emotionlessly.
You win when all other faction tallies reach zero.
Original idea- Moses le fou

You don't gain much information if a random towny can become a ghost. Since no one knew that was going to happen, you can't analyze the plusses and minuses of killing someone and leaving their voice. You technically could claim ghost, but all you would be doing is getting the mafia to NK possible power roles instead of you.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Post by PokerFace »

This clearly needs a bump along with this link

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9911
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:47 am

Post by PokerFace »

PokerFace wrote:
Let's Mess with Trackers and Watchers time!

We know how these roles become new roles when their predecessors go down.
Deputy (or Retired Cop)
- Should there be a cop in play and they die, you will become a cop and be able to investigate one person each night learning if they are mafia.
Nurse
- Should there be a doc in play and they die, you will become a doc and be able to protect one person each night from dieing to 1 kill.
Miller
- Will show up as guilty or scum to all Cop investigations
But Consider these:

Peeping Tom (or Sightseer)
- Should there be a watcher in play and they die, you will become a watcher and be able to watch one person each night learning who targets them.
Patsy (or Follower)
- Should there be a tracker in play and they die, you will become a watcher and be able to track one person each night learning who targets them
Grave Digger
- Miller Variant that will be seen as targeting any and all players that died during the previous night, by trackers and watchers.
And now some Mafia aligned Roles:

Mafia Undertaker
- Framer Variant that can makes it look like his target killed each player that died last night. He can choose any player each night.
Mafia Ninja
- Mafia Goon who can't be seen by trackers or watchers whenever he kills or somehow uses another action.
PokerFace wrote:
Now let's mess with the sanity of Trackers and Watchers!

A Tracker or Watcher that always gets a No Result is Blind or
Naive Tracker or Watcher

A Tracker or Watcher that saw a random result would be
Random Trackers or Watchers

A Tracker that sees people that performed actions last night target no one AND sees people that did not perform actions last night target
people that died last night
, would be an
Insane Tracker
If nobody died last night, then the insane tracker sees his Vanilla Target go to the insane tracker.

A Watcher that sees everyone that didn't use an action last night, target their watchee would be an
Insane Watcher

Tracker that always gets their trackee going to each player that died last night would be
Paranoid Tracker
. If nobody dies the paranoid tracker sees his trackee targetting the paranoid tracker.

Watcher that always gets everyone as going to their target would be
Paranoid Watcher
Fixed in italics so its not random
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:30 am

Post by Alduskkel »

Role PM wrote:You are the
Mafia Doctor.
Each Night, you may choose a target and they will be protected from being lynched on the next Day. You may not target yourself. You win when only Mafia members remain or nothing can prevent the same.
It would have to be balanced a bit.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:42 am

Post by shaft.ed »

PokerFace wrote:
Patsy (or Follower)
- Should there be a tracker in play and they die, you will become a watcher and be able to track one person each night learning who targets them
I like my Patsy tracker variant better.
Patsy:
You are Patsy, humble page boy to King Arthur. You are equipped with a coconut that allows you to transport a single person over large distances each night. Using your ability you can grant another player the power to track a second target. Your request should be formatted as “I want PlayerA to track PlayerB.” Note that you cannot be either the tracker or the target of tracking for your night action.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:46 am

Post by PokerFace »

shaft.ed wrote:
PokerFace wrote:
Patsy (or Follower)
I like my Patsy tracker variant better.
Patsy:
You are Patsy, humble page boy to King Arthur. You are equipped with a coconut that allows you to transport a single person over large distances each night. Using your ability you can grant another player the power to track a second target. Your request should be formatted as “I want PlayerA to track PlayerB.” Note that you cannot be either the tracker or the target of tracking for your night action.
Yes but the proper name for your variant was whispering tracker. I mentioned that in the game many times since I had seen a whispering tracker before playing in Monty Python's Flying Circus Mafia

Meanwhile the general term patsy outisde of the holy grail is follower or sidekick which would fit better for a full tracker that picked up where you left off. Can you think of a better name for a guy that becomes tracker after the last one died?
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:52 am

Post by PokerFace »

Role idea inspired by shaft.ed for watching
You are
Tour Guide
. At night you can allow someone to visit any location so that they may admire anything the may want. Basically you can allow one player to "watch" another player at night and let them see anyone who also goes there. Your request should be formatted as “I want PlayerA to watch PlayerB.” Note that you cannot be either the watcher or the target of watching for your night action.
Mafiaplayer
Mafiaplayer
Goon
Mafiaplayer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:07 pm

Post by Mafiaplayer »

You are L. Ron Hubbard. You win with the Church of Scientology. Every night, you select two people. Both of these people will join your cult.
You are Anonymous. Every night, you kill one member of the Church of Scientology, at random, other than L. Ron Hubbard. You cannot join the Church of Scientology.
Anyone who would actually play mafia sucsk
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:37 am

Post by PokerFace »

Addictive Cop
- You may investigate any player at night in order to learn if they are scum via an inocent or guilty read. You know that you are sane but if you are targeted by a doc your results for that night could be wrongly influenced.You win with the town when all scum are elimnated. Good luck.

Mod Notes -
if Cop is protected from a kill, his result will be paranoia
if Cop is protected and not targeted for a kill, his result will be naive
Inspiration: CEScum rules!
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 72#1363572
Cogito Ergo Scum
Cogito Ergo Scum
Mafia Sum
Cogito Ergo Scum
Mafia Sum
Mafia Sum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:08 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Scum »

PokerFace wrote: Inspiration: CEScum rules!
I do? :D
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:20 am

Post by Korts »

You are a
Romani
. Your trailer broke down in this shithole, and apparently there's some bad blood between these folk, so you better get out of here fast.

Each night, you must target a
gaujo
; for that night, all actions directed at you or them will affect both of you, on account of you, ahem... working there.

You win if you "earn" enough money from your, ahem... work to repair your trailer and move on.

(note: theft and cheap whores are the two things most often associated with the Gypsies of Hungary, so interpret this any way you want :))
scumchat never die
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:15 am

Post by PokerFace »

Cowboy Bebop's Faye Valentine was a Romani or so she said in episode 3 as she called Spike a gaujo
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:20 am

Post by Adel »

PokerFace wrote:
Addictive Cop
- You may investigate any player at night in order to learn if they are scum via an inocent or guilty read. You know that you are sane but if you are targeted by a doc your results for that night could be wrongly influenced.You win with the town when all scum are elimnated. Good luck.

Mod Notes -
if Cop is protected from a kill, his result will be paranoia
if Cop is protected and not targeted for a kill, his result will be naive
Inspiration: CEScum rules!
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 72#1363572
that is a really awesome role. It adds nifty layers of wifom and neuters the cop+doc combo.
That is how the original newbie game setup should have been fixed!

Super Classic Newbie Game Setup Remix

2 Mafia Goons
1 Addictive Cop
1 Doctor
3 Townies

daystart
TonyMontana
TonyMontana
Mafia Scum
TonyMontana
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:18 am

Post by TonyMontana »

PokerFace wrote:Role idea inspired by shaft.ed for watching
You are
Tour Guide
. At night you can allow someone to visit any location so that they may admire anything the may want. Basically you can allow one player to "watch" another player at night and let them see anyone who also goes there. Your request should be formatted as “I want PlayerA to watch PlayerB.” Note that you cannot be either the watcher or the target of watching for your night action.
I like it. -.-
Upcoming
Mini
Theme: Rainbow Six|Siege Mafia
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:44 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Alduskkel wrote:
Role PM wrote:You are the
Mafia Doctor.
Each Night, you may choose a target and they will be protected from being lynched on the next Day. You may not target yourself. You win when only Mafia members remain or nothing can prevent the same.
It would have to be balanced a bit.

What does "protected from being lynched" mean?

If the town gets to a lynch on the person, does the day end and the lynch fail, or does that guy just not get lynched, or does the mod announce "Elmo can not be lynched today!"?

If it's the second or the third, it's probably balancable. The first would probably be too strong.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:48 am

Post by Alduskkel »

Admittedly when I thought of the role I was thinking of the first or second, but in retrospect I think the third is best.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Post by PokerFace »

TonyMontana wrote:
PokerFace wrote:Role idea inspired by shaft.ed for watching
You are
Tour Guide
I like it. -.-
Should be noted that just like shaft.ed's tracker in MPM the tour guide does not know what his tourist saw if anything.

K7 did not know I went after strappado and wound up at spyreQ
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:01 am

Post by PokerFace »

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5539
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 93#1438293
Korts wrote:
You are a
Romani
. Your trailer broke down in this shithole, and apparently there's some bad blood between these folk, so you better get out of here fast.

Each night, you must target a
gaujo
; for that night, all actions directed at you or them will affect both of you, on account of you, ahem... working there.

You win if you "earn" enough money from your, ahem... work to repair your trailer and move on.

(note: theft and cheap whores are the two things most often associated with the Gypsies of Hungary, so interpret this any way you want :))
You know I think we can still come up with something better and call it Romani. Give me some time and take tyour time and I'm sure we'll get something really good.

I really like the name and the idea of a traveling gypsy. Perhaps there is a way we can word the pm to be like overworked intern or some kind of traveling role blocker or jailkeeper

Of since the thief role can investigative perhaps this role somehow investigate and role blocks. Learns what you are by fucking you. All that matters most if how you wierd a role. You can name something pretty much anything and it can do practically different things. I think Seol ran a game with alot of those

Seol's game
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 910#751910
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:06 am

Post by Natirasha »

You are god. Kinda. Your actually the moderator. That's close enough to god for you. Anyways, you are the Cult Leader. If a player votes for you, their win condition will be changed to "You win if the moderator survives the game."

You win if you survive to the end of the game.
Is it a Best Role or Worst Role? I can't even figure it out myself.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:09 am

Post by Vi »

Worst Role.
You can't lose, and you may as well not worry about creating the rest of the setup (if the game is properly advertised).

It sounds like something that would be funny to see in a Marathon Day game though.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”