Mafia Universe Championships - Representative Nominations

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Mafia Universe Championships - Representative Nominations

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:05 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Hey, we've given some thought to this. We've also been asked by MU to participate.

We are fine participating and having someone represent the community. We decided we didn't want to ham fist pick someone ourselves. So we're looking for people that A) would want to participate and B) the community would feel comfortable being represented by, and C) doesn't have recent ban history here (or elsewhere).

We have one other concern/light request. We don't want to end up in a situation where our representatives have to play with users we have banned from this site. I know that MU is very similar to us and probably has the same sorts of people banned we do, but I'm unsure about other communities who might participate. So if we find out someone we banned, and I'm thinking specifically for things like bigotry/harassment, is participating, we wouldn't want you to play.

Beyond that, we're content leaving it up to the community for now.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:27 pm

Post by Isis »

It's not critical that anyone play if there's no right fit, but this could be a fun way to interact with another community.

Keep in mind that the event is very demanding with respect to short deadlines and posts per hour. Nominees may wish to step back for that reason, but also it may expedite the consensus building to pass over nominating players who you are familiar who would struggle with that pace.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:33 pm

Post by Ythan »

Hype
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:36 pm

Post by AniX »

One thing to keep in mind is that the deadline for submissions is April 23rd, so while there is plenty of time, if this is something the community wants to participate in, there is an overall month window for this.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:40 pm

Post by fferyllt »

What are we doing? Can we go ahead and nominate people? Are we trying to come up with a selection process first?

My noms from the other thread are Not_Mafia and Prism.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:41 pm

Post by DkKoba »

SOME NOTES ABOUT THE COMPETITION:

The setup is 3v12 Mountainous.

The elimination is compulsive plurality everyday, with hammers possible past day 1.

The deadlines you are able to pick for the qualifiers, usually its either:
12/12
24/24
48/24
72/24
(all in hours)
I believe there was a 5 day one but no one really picked that one iirc.

We will need to choose a Main Representative and a Backup. The backup will play if the main representative cannot play anymore.

The choices must be finalized by APRIL 23rd.

I propose that we select via a 2 round selection process:

1) Similar to scummies, we nominate a player. Any player who receives at least 2 nominations will be move on to the next part.
2) We will have a focused discussion period about the nominees and who should be sent. Critique of play will be present.
3) We will do a ranked choice vote and then choose that way.

This feels like the most fair and objective system that ensures a strong candidate ends up going.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:42 pm

Post by DkKoba »

From the nomination document: "Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 600-700 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis!"
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:42 pm

Post by DkKoba »

The tournament structure
135 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
QUALIFIERS: 9 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 8 will select 27 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 9 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.
retired
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:42 pm

Post by Bell »

Okay. So should people PM you T-Bone to say that they’re interested?

I’m not sure how you’d do the second part without some form of public humiliation.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:42 pm

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In the spirit of wanting people to volunteer, I say Andante (sorry if i spelled that wrong) would be a great pick since they seem like they would be active, and this is the kind of event that sending a relatively active and newer to the site player to would be kind of cool for?
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:43 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Relevant mechanics info

Day start.
Majority elimination is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point for the elimination.
Tied votes will result in a player being eliminated at random from among the tied players.
No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
Thread is locked during Night Phases.
Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO
Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia factional kill is mandatory.
Mafia may communicate at any time.
Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 1 hour before day end).
The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals alignments automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).
retired
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:43 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I will re-nominate Cabd and Pooky

I don’t feel like N_M is a good fit because last I remember, he has gone on record that he dislikes a great amount of MU terminology. Do we really want our representative to have open animosity to the very site he’d be playing on?
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:44 pm

Post by DkKoba »

The games will be between April-mid June and the semi's in July/August. Finale game will occur in August or September.

This is a long term commitment!
retired
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:44 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 8, Bell wrote:Okay. So should people PM you T-Bone to say that they’re interested?

I’m not sure how you’d do the second part without some form of public humiliation.
At this time, the mods are not taking on any organizational capacity. I would say the best choice is for a user/users to volunteer to accept submissions or interested users post in this thread.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:44 pm

Post by Bell »

I don’t like the idea of sending dog avatars away from posting on this site.
The more posts with dog avatars on this site the better this site is. Anything that detracts from that is my enemy.
(Sniff I will 2nd the nom)
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:46 pm

Post by Bell »

I volunteer to receive voluntary private messages volunteering to participate in this voluntary tournament and then aggregate that list and send wherever.when people figure out what to do with it.

And if people just wanna pop their heads in and volunteer in thread, cool. Glad you’re comfortable with that.
Last edited by Bell on Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:49 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I decline to offer any sort of clerical help in organizing info or anything. That is up to anyone who wants to step up for it.

If people could look over the system I proposed in , and state any objections or modifications, that'd be great.

Otherwise someone should propose a solidified other system if they disagree with it, just so we have something to go off of.
retired
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:53 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 15, Bell wrote:I volunteer to receive voluntary private messages volunteering to participate in this voluntary tournament and then aggregate that list and send wherever.when people figure out what to do with it.

And if people just wanna pop their heads in and volunteer in thread, cool. Glad you’re comfortable with that.
perhaps we should first form a central committee for the purpose of deciding on volunteers to organize the selection process for volunteers
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:53 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 7, DkKoba wrote:a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff
Oh shit
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:55 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 17, catboi wrote:
In post 15, Bell wrote:I volunteer to receive voluntary private messages volunteering to participate in this voluntary tournament and then aggregate that list and send wherever.when people figure out what to do with it.

perhaps we should first form a central committee for the purpose of deciding on volunteers to organize the selection process for volunteers
thats not enough bureaucracy
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:55 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 18, Ythan wrote:
In post 7, DkKoba wrote:a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff
Oh shit
yup! the creator of mafia himself :P
retired
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:55 pm

Post by Prism »

In post 76, Prism wrote:My #1 vote is still N_M.

I will think more carefully over whether or not I'd be eager to play. The chance to play high-level games is always a treat, but I have severe reservations about nominations, awards, competitions and the like. I always find even simple compliments difficult to stomach. I would want to commit fully rather than pull my hat in or out whimsically.
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:57 pm

Post by Bell »

In post 17, catboi wrote:

Is the central committee made up of volunteers?
Andante
Andante
She
Survivor
Andante
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:01 pm

Post by Andante »

I'm not even sure who all is interested, and I'm not throwing out names unless those people voice interest, cause yeah, the deadline difference is a huge factor, the forum maf I come from is that fast paced play (which is why my play is so strange to all yall here) every year people are always like "idk who to send!!" yet no one has ever even brought up my name/asked me (even though I've gotten some great compliments from people for my "scary scum game" :) ) so this year I'm just like "why not?!?" like, my feelings won't be hurt if we don't want to send me, but I know I could do it, and do it well, I'd have a lot of fun, and hey, who doesn't want to rep the community they love? I have a lot of experience with fast paced games, thus I figured I'd speak up. I'd happily be our nom, and I'd happily back anyone wanting to do it!!!

(I'm not a huge fan of discussion forums, but figured this was worth speaking up about, and umm yeah I would LOVE to do this, but won't be mad if I'm not the rep!! WOOOOOO go MS!!!)

At the end of the day, doesn't matter if we even send anyone, GO MS!!!!(We're the best team out there!!!)
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:02 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 23, Andante wrote:I'm not even sure who all is interested, and I'm not throwing out names unless those people voice interest, cause yeah, the deadline difference is a huge factor, the forum maf I come from is that fast paced play (which is why my play is so strange to all yall here) every year people are always like "idk who to send!!" yet no one has ever even brought up my name/asked me (even though I've gotten some great compliments from people for my "scary scum game" :) ) so this year I'm just like "why not?!?" like, my feelings won't be hurt if we don't want to send me, but I know I could do it, and do it well, I'd have a lot of fun, and hey, who doesn't want to rep the community they love? I have a lot of experience with fast paced games, thus I figured I'd speak up. I'd happily be our nom, and I'd happily back anyone wanting to do it!!!

(I'm not a huge fan of discussion forums, but figured this was worth speaking up about, and umm yeah I would LOVE to do this, but won't be mad if I'm not the rep!! WOOOOOO go MS!!!)

At the end of the day, doesn't matter if we even send anyone, GO MS!!!!(We're the best team out there!!!)
if pooky doesn't want to go I think this is largely the best person we can send fwiw based on her experience ^
retired

Return to “Mafia Discussion”