Happy Anniversary, mafiascum

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 am

Post by mith »

In post 8, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:Half a lifetime of great memories. Miss you bud.
Miss you too, Pooky; how's the fam?
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:45 am

Post by schadd_ »

how old is your kid (kids?)
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:53 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

Family is great ^_^ - Life goes by too fast sometimes friendo.(doesn't it always? - blink and you miss it all)

I wanted to visit Thesp in Dallas but ended up catching Covid(lol) before I got to ask him if he wanted to hang out(is it bad i think he lives in dallas but he might not? hopefully next time I won't catch covid randomly and we can hang out)

Hoping to see you at an oldschool meetup sometime.

Still remember that all nighter we pulled playing dominion - helluva time - we'll have to run that back eventually - I don't even remember who won because sleep deprivation.
Last edited by PookyTheMagicalBear on Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:58 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 26, schadd_ wrote:how old is your kid (kids?)
I think there were two. I hope
Panzer's two least favorite people
Mith's kids are doing well!
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:05 am

Post by catboi »

What's your favorite sudoku variant?
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:13 am

Post by mith »

Luke is 6 now, and Zoe is 3.
In post 27, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:I wanted to visit Thesp in Dallas but ended up catching Covid(lol) before I got to ask him if he wanted to hang out(is it bad i think he lives in dallas but he might not? hopefully next time I won't catch covid randomly and we can hang out)
He's in the Austin area, actually. We play quite a bit of Race for the Galaxy and Shards of Infinity via iPhone app. :) We're actually in McKinney (two suburbs north of where we were, outskirts of DFW) now but I'm too lazy to change my profile.
In post 29, catboi wrote:What's your favorite sudoku variant?
I just got asked something close to this on the sudoku discord: My favorite to *solve* is either killer or kropki (pairs). My favorite to *set* is... arrow or classic? Hard to answer, it changes all the time.

For those who aren't aware, one of the things I have gotten into seriously over the pandemic is sudoku:

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:15 am

Post by mith »

In post 28, D3f3nd3r wrote:
I think there were two. I hope
Panzer's two least favorite people
Mith's kids are doing well!
They are! Luke is really thriving with kindergarten, after not being around other kids much for a while. And Zoe is the happiest person in the world 99% of the time. She has taken to wearing her backpack and mask at home for extended periods of time so she can practice going to school just like her big brother.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:22 am

Post by catboi »

favorite moment in a mafia game? (it's okay if nothing comes to mind! but I figure most people have a story they like sharing)
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:42 am

Post by Pink Ball »

In post 30, mith wrote: For those who aren't aware, one of the things I have gotten into seriously over the pandemic is sudoku:

Happened to me too! Simon got me hooked, now I play a killer sudoku everyday (bathroom breaks turned into sudoku breaks basically).

Any app you recommend? The one I use is good, but it's not challenging enough now.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:43 am

Post by Ythan »

I've just recently picked sudoku up again out of the blue weird.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:52 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 24, mith wrote:This thread is now an AmA (Ask mith Anything). Go.
What was your motivation for making this site?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:54 am

Post by mith »

In post 32, catboi wrote:favorite moment in a mafia game? (it's okay if nothing comes to mind! but I figure most people have a story they like sharing)
That's a pretty easy one. It's the time I sorta made MeMe cry. For the newer users, MeMe was an early presence on the site, and in fact the first List Mod. She and her family hosted a few meetups over the years.

This was at one of the meetups, back in the days of "lol Jester is a funny role". The setup had a Jester, some number of Mafia, and... maybe not much else, I don't remember and it isn't relevant. Not sure who was modding, either.

Day 1, and Atticus (MeMe's younger son) was acting incredibly suspicious. There was a lot of talk about him possibly being the Jester, but also we figured he could be Mafia trying to make us think he was the Jester so we wouldn't vote for him. So we were discussing "forcing" the Mafia to sort it out for us: either they kill Atticus for us at night, or we assume he's Mafia and vote him out the next day. Foolproof, right?

Being a bit cheeky, at the conclusion of this discussion I said loudly something along the lines of "Mafia, you understand the plan, right?", to which MeMe immediately responded "Yes". Boom, got'em.

It soon became clear that MeMe was not actually Mafia falling for the dumbest trick ever; at some point during our interrogation she became visibly upset by the whole thing, so either she was innocent, or the Jester pulling some next level mind games, or Mafia immediately winning a Scummy for crying on cue after making a slip. So I started to ease the pressure off, having convinced myself she was likely innocent.

Our attention turned to Dirge (MeMe's husband), who IIRC wasn't letting go of the "MeMe gave herself away" thing (it may have been something else that was suspect). With Day 1 having lasted ages at this point, he was quickly voted up... and revealed to be the Jester. (Atticus was, in fact, Mafia.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:02 pm

Post by mith »

In post 33, Pink Ball wrote:Happened to me too! Simon got me hooked, now I play a killer sudoku everyday (bathroom breaks turned into sudoku breaks basically).

Any app you recommend? The one I use is good, but it's not challenging enough now.
I guess it's not clear if you don't know me elsewhere, but I'm the one who set that particular puzzle. :)

When I solve, it's mostly puzzles on the CTC Fan Server (discord). I spend way more time setting and theorizing than I do solving, though. Even when I do solve, most of it is testing for GAS (Genuinely Approachable Sudoku), as the setters test each others' puzzles. (I do have a couple of the CTC apps though - Classic and Sandwich.)

If anyone wants to go really in depth with advanced sudoku techniques, I've been doing a youtube series with rangsk (who has also featured on CTC, but has his own channel mostly doing live solving streams): Link (I don't really recommend starting from episode 1 here if you've never solved much sudoku! rangsk has done a "Learn to Love Sudoku" series which explains some simpler techniques.)
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:08 pm

Post by AGar »

Hi mith!

20 years, christ on a bike.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:29 pm

Post by mith »

In post 35, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 24, mith wrote:This thread is now an AmA (Ask mith Anything). Go.
What was your motivation for making this site?
World domination

At the time I started the site, Mafia had basically taken over the game forum over on the Grey Labyrinth. I had also introduced Mafia to a couple other forums. It seemed like a good time to have a dedicated site and bring some of those people together, though early on the site heavily skewed toward GLers. I felt a bit of responsibility for being the driving force behind a dedicated site, having introduced the game to the GL in the first place. (And probably figured someone else doing it might screw everything up, or stick ads everywhere, or whatever.)

It was also a good way teach myself some things; I probably imagined at the time that I would spend more time making websites than I actually ended up doing. I always had plans for various automation improvements, and more of a "live" gaming experience, that never really went anywhere. 2002 was the year I graduated university, and a time for a lot of big life changes. And I wasn't really ever interested in trying to make money doing this, so it often had to take a backseat to real life.

I have been fortunate to have a ton of positive experiences with online communities. An interest in puzzles and math led to the GL, which played a huge role in my social life and even my decision to move to England. The GL led to mafiascum, and some of the people I would count among my closest friends I met here. Those friends and the various mafiascum meetups I was able to attend led to the board game community, which is where I met a number of local friends and gaming groups; there's a good chance I would have moved elsewhere and never met my wife if not for that.

All that said, did I have any idea about any of that when I started the site? No (well, other than the England stuff, but that's a whole other story); I just spent a ton of time playing Mafia and wanted a dedicated place to do it. ~shrug~
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:31 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

In post 37, mith wrote:
In post 33, Pink Ball wrote:Happened to me too! Simon got me hooked, now I play a killer sudoku everyday (bathroom breaks turned into sudoku breaks basically).

I guess it's not clear if you don't know me elsewhere, but I'm the one who set that particular puzzle. :)

When I solve, it's mostly puzzles on the CTC Fan Server (discord). I spend way more time setting and theorizing than I do solving, though. Even when I do solve, most of it is testing for GAS (Genuinely Approachable Sudoku), as the setters test each others' puzzles. (I do have a couple of the CTC apps though - Classic and Sandwich.)

If anyone wants to go really in depth with advanced sudoku techniques, I've been doing a youtube series with rangsk (who has also featured on CTC, but has his own channel mostly doing live solving streams): Link (I don't really recommend starting from episode 1 here if you've never solved much sudoku! rangsk has done a "Learn to Love Sudoku" series which explains some simpler techniques.)
Whaaaaaaat I remember doing that particular sudoku when the video came out and got the Cream reference too! mith I think I've dedicated too much time on things that you've done, you don't have a cooking show do you?
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:42 pm

Post by Cook »

In post 39, mith wrote:(well, other than the England stuff, but that's a whole other story); I just spent a ton of time playing Mafia and wanted a dedicated place to do it. ~shrug~
if it please you, regale us with this tale!
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:02 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

pog
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:11 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 39, mith wrote:I just spent a ton of time playing Mafia and wanted a dedicated place to do it.
That's so nice of you, mith.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:09 am

Post by DeasVail »

In post 21, implosion wrote:Here to contribute to the goal of having as many different join years as possible post in this thread~
Kilgamayan
Kilgamayan
Goon
Kilgamayan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:22 am

Post by Kilgamayan »

Wow, I remember feeling like this website had been around since the dawn of time when I made an account. Hard to believe it has now existed for roughly 60% of the website's life.
In post 21, implosion wrote:Here to contribute to the goal of having as many different join years as possible post in this thread~
2010 solidarity!
Well, this game happened.
~ Edible
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:05 am

Post by lendunistus »

hi
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:07 am

Post by Isis »

Should I log into popsofctown to add 08
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:05 am

Post by AniX »

2002: Mith
2003: AniX, PookyTheMagicalBear
2004:
2005:
2006:
2007:
2008:
2009: Ythan, Nero Cain, AGar
2010: implosion, Kilgamayan
2011: DeasVail
2012: D3f3nd3r
2013: MathBlade, catboi, RadiantCowbells
2014:
2015: Davsto, Ircher, Radical Rat
2016: MURDERCAT, schadd_
2017:
2018: Irrelephant11, Pink Ball
2019: NorwegianboyEE, RH9, Menalque
2020: Bell, Isis, Noraa, Gypyx, Cook, lendunistus
2021: Greeting
2022:
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:05 am

Post by AniX »

We gotta get those early dates up.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN

Return to “News”