i'm the normal 242 dead thread (game over)

Forum for old private topics
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:49 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

imagine playing mafia versus a disloyal vig and 2 tprs that are protective and your only "counterplay" against disloyal vig is "one shot loyal bodyguard" this setup is hilarious
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:15 pm

Post by schadd_ »

really the only thing that materially helped town in this game were the two vig shots and one of them confirmed a tpr who was gonna die anyway. maybe you would count the obligatory kill choices on n3 and n4 as town power. idk why you would need counterplay from the setup, the counterplay was shooting nm when he claimed for no reason on day 2
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:16 pm

Post by schadd_ »

those two tprs that are protective can also . . screw up the vig
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:23 pm

Post by schadd_ »

maybe this game could have been trickier if not for the fact that town pretty much fully claimed on d2. honestly its like hard to balance around that, because i don't know why or when people are gonna do that and it makes town's ev just like plummet a lot. but like if you're complaining about how this game actually went down that just seems counterfactual. it feels like it's been in vogue to just always complain about the setup for like 3 years. i guess i complain about my own setups too. i dont like normal roles in general even though normals are like more than half the games i mod
free darius mccollum

PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:30 pm

we had literally no night counterplay for a novice disloyal vigilante

so we might assume the town has no protectives because disloyal vig is really strong and if we have no way to counterplay it with like roleblocker or w/e we should be able to kill it at night

except theres an even night doctor that can block our first kill attempt on it??

like thats just insane
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

-Norwee
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:30 pm

the town could literally no lim every day and the disloyal vig just mows through the entire player list rofl
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:31 pm

In post 102, schadd_ wrote:those two tprs that are protective can also . . screw up the vig
why would protectives protect people who the vig is going to target !?!?
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:32 pm

In post 103, schadd_ wrote:maybe this game could have been trickier if not for the fact that town pretty much fully claimed on d2.
if mass claiming helps the town your setup might be a little messed up because mass claiming is supposed to help the scum side
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:58 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 104, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:we had literally no night counterplay for a novice disloyal vigilante

so we might assume the town has no protectives because disloyal vig is really strong and if we have no way to counterplay it with like roleblocker or w/e we should be able to kill it at night

except theres an even night doctor that can block our first kill attempt on it??

like thats just insane
this peril really only comes up in a small portion of games
-doctor and vig are both alive by night whatever
-vig claims for some reason, but the doctor doesnt
-this happens before an even night

incidentally this happened in this game and neither the doctor nor the mafia hit the vig. so i guess there's an additional assumption that everything happens cleanly and exactly in accordance with what you'd expect. it's a problem that theoretically comes up any time there is a doctor and i don't think i've ever seen it, mostly because a large portion of the town has usually claimed by around d3.

if you want a roleblocker to "counterplay" this, that either means you randomly correctly roleblocked the doctor when they were trying to heal the vig, or you hang out and look for the doctor while blocking the vig (which also just like sucks because you're either blocking them when they shoot town which has no effect and makes people think they're town anyway, or you're blocking them while they shoot mafia, which probably just wins you the game unless town ends up sniffing out that there's a roleblocker). none of these outcomes feel like good mafia to me really. in fact, it's rare that i feel like there's a way to exploit roles to produce interesting thinking for either alignment, especially investigatives. the handful of things i was hoping for in this game was a few instances of town having to figure out "do i think this person would do this thing with that PR at that time", which also completely did not happen
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:01 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 105, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:the town could literally no lim every day and the disloyal vig just mows through the entire player list rofl
ok. um, i think that would be a bad idea
In post 106, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:
In post 102, schadd_ wrote:those two tprs that are protective can also . . screw up the vig
why would protectives protect people who the vig is going to target !?!?
the doctor: is also a tracker, maybe you noticed. the doctor and the tracker component have to target the same person
the alien: wants to target mafia and could prevent a kill in that case, and also prevents a kill if it incidentally targets the vig
the roleblocker: only prevents the kill if it incidentally targets vig

In post 107, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:
In post 103, schadd_ wrote:maybe this game could have been trickier if not for the fact that town pretty much fully claimed on d2.
if mass claiming helps the town your setup might be a little messed up because mass claiming is supposed to help the scum side
i meant trickier for scum. mass claiming did indeed help the scum side.
free darius mccollum

Frogsterking
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:00 pm

Post by Frogsterking »

No one could have predicted the Town galaxy brain D2 strat with massclaim + sacrifice our JOAT roleblocker for the greater good.
Bruce: Terry. I've been thinking about something you once told me... and you were wrong. It's not Batman that makes you worthwhile; it's the other way around. Never tell yourself anything different.
Terry: ...Thanks.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:19 pm

Post by Alisae »

I heckin’ love mafia!!!
WOW!!K
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:46 pm

In post 108, schadd_ wrote:this peril really only comes up in a small portion of games
-doctor and vig are both alive by night whatever

night two?

is it really that hard for them to both survive the d1/n1 cycle in a 16p?
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:12 am

Post by schadd_ »

there's a 30% chance one of those two roles dies by day 2. the reason i said "night whatever" is because it's much more likely but much less problematic on day 2 vs. day 4 for it to happen. if it happens on day 2, sure there's this unfortunate situation for the mafia but also the role which comprises something close to half of town's power is now claimed before it has even done anything. keep in mind that on average you'd expect a given PR to survive until d4 something like half the time, and so the doctor situation might just cause them to have to hold off on killing the vig until the probabilistically typical time. on the other hand, if it happens on day 4 that could create a nasty and unreasonable outcome but it's baseline much less likely for it to happen.

really the only thing that bothers me here is the feeling of it for scum rather than the balance of it, and it seems like that's even mostly what you're reporting to me. if you were to shoot nm on night 2 and find that he didn't die (which would not have happened but etc), then you're like, ok well fuck. what do we do here. do we go hunting for the doctor or do we just shoot nm again hope that the doctor is gated (and gated in a way that's what we want- maybe it's novice? maybe it's 3-shot? maybe it's nights-2-and-3 which schadd has used before? there's essentially no way for us to determine whether that's what's going on). if you then choose option two it would work out, Unless! the roleblocker/alien got lucky and blonked someone correctly on night 3, in which case ba ba ba ba ba waa waa
free darius mccollum

PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:51 am

In post 101, schadd_ wrote:idk why you would need counterplay from the setup, the counterplay was shooting nm when he claimed for no reason on day 2

the reason scum need a way to counterplay a disloyal vig is because claiming as town should be punishable by the scum

there should be some incentive for town to try to hide their TPRs and some reward for scum if they get town run up and to claim

if instead a disloyal vig basically becomes god and is not killable by scum reliably since there are two protective TPRs AND not counterplayable by scum via night actions like doctor, roleblocker, alien etc then the disloyal vig basically becomes a walking god and can control both night and dayplay and thats just insane levels of power.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:09 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 101, schadd_ wrote:really the only thing that materially helped town in this game were the two vig shots and one of them confirmed a tpr who was gonna die anyway. maybe you would count the obligatory kill choices on n3 and n4 as town power. idk why you would need counterplay from the setup, the counterplay was shooting nm when he claimed for no reason on day 2
I claimed for the best reason; I was bored
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:51 am

Post by Nero Cain »

Who is winning?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:45 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 114, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:the reason scum need a way to counterplay a disloyal vig is because claiming as town should be punishable by the scum
i think i'm just gonna be done here. every role except the vig would greatly rather not claim, and the vig would marginally rather not claim. i'm just not really blown away by what i'd call a cop that does some extra stuff under certain circumstances.
In post 116, Nero Cain wrote:Who is winning?
i believe mafia are going to win.
free darius mccollum

PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:05 am

In post 117, schadd_ wrote:i'm just not really blown away by what i'd call a cop that does some extra stuff under certain circumstances.
a disloyal vig is much more powerful than a cop

a cop claim could be a scum fakeclaiming a guilty
or a scum faking a guilty on his teammate for towncred
or any number of things

a disloyal vig self-clears itself when it hits scum - a cop does not

also being able to eliminate another player instead of the person you have a guilty on because that person is already dead is pretty powerful
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Frogsterking
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:54 pm

Post by Frogsterking »

I guess I'm glad I'm not alive to look for the last scum. I would seriously consider Cape here because it doesn't feel right that they were on the Malcolm wagon. I don't agree with Toogle's analysis that Cape is cleared by BCG iso, but my feeling from Toogle's analysis is that it comes from Town. I think if Cape is the last one then I'd expect to see Cape leave Toogle alive as a mark to mishammer someone else in the endgame.
Bruce: Terry. I've been thinking about something you once told me... and you were wrong. It's not Batman that makes you worthwhile; it's the other way around. Never tell yourself anything different.
Frogsterking
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:57 pm

Post by Frogsterking »

I'd appreciate if anyone pointed out Cape was on a downward trajectory in my reads, so the timing of my kill could have been to cement a townread there anticipating I might flip my read on him later.
Frogsterking
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:47 pm

Post by Frogsterking »

In post 120, Frogsterking wrote:I'd appreciate if anyone pointed out Cape was on a downward trajectory in my reads, so the timing of my kill could have been to cement a townread there anticipating I might flip my read on him later.
I feel like this is a detail being missed right now.
Frogsterking
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:52 pm

Post by Frogsterking »

In post 101, schadd_ wrote:idk why you would need counterplay from the setup, the counterplay was shooting nm when he claimed for no reason on day 2
I would argue this as another point in favor that the timing of my kill was to cement a legacy Townread before I could flip my read on Cape.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 am

Post by Titus »

In post 116, Nero Cain wrote:Who is winning?
Scum. Math discards everything when pocketed.

You know this Nero.

It's been Luke Cape.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:12 am

what if I told you mathblade is mafia :>
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee

Return to “Completed Game Topics”