Why don’t more mods allow hydras?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:05 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

I'll chime in with the take of the mechanics complexity argument:

Normal games has recently been changed for some games to be labeled as simple with very basic mechanics in play which should serve as a good alternative for someone who doesn't like to/ struggles with more complex mechanics.
Imprefection is the spice of life.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:55 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 25, MegAzumarill wrote:I'll chime in with the take of the mechanics complexity argument:

Normal games has recently been changed for some games to be labeled as simple with very basic mechanics in play which should serve as a good alternative for someone who doesn't like to/ struggles with more complex mechanics.
Good to know but I also really like themes and experimental setups so long as they’re not excessively mech complex but I want to be good at mech complex games, not to avoid them.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:45 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I think hydras are a Good Thing. They allow for mentorship, help solve problems of low potential activity, and can be fun for those in the hydra because they get to guarantee they share an alignment.

On the other hand, hydras do seem to increase a game’s complexity, and sometimes add a chaotic or even silly vibe. There’s also sometimes a competitive advantage, yeah (imagine a 2v7 game but the two mafia slots are randomly chosen to be filled by three-headed hydras? Rolling mafia is about looking unaligned and having the stamina to lie for long game days, and isn’t that now much easier?).

So, my take: the way things are is close to ideal. Hydras are fun and help make games accessible to hydra-enjoyers. But they also change a game’s flavor, and introduce challenges to the non-hydra players. For this reason it’s a Good Thing that some games allow hydras and some don’t
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:57 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 11, Yume wrote:You know what? Since the fact that many of us like hydras are clearly a personal affront to those who don't, then how about we who like them leave the site for good and make our own where hydras are allowed?! You can keep this one for all I care!!!
for the love of god please do.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
JunkoChan
JunkoChan
She/her
Mafia Scum
JunkoChan
She/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:38 am

Post by JunkoChan »

Hydras are overpowered, I can play as them and stomp but is annoying to play against them
For how to play with JunkoChan, click on my wiki!

I will inflict you with the pain of a thousand slapping anime girls ~thenewearth
you do know if you kill me that's a one way ticket to execution-ville ~Iprobablysuck
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:45 pm

Post by Firebringer »

first i feel liek this topic or something similar gets reposted every year, almost seems like just yesterday nancy was talking about either hydra or alts.

secondly i haven't played as many games as i used to but unless site meta changed, the majority of games allow hydra. ive only seen like... maybe 4? This year in which it was banned. Is there a new trend im unaware of.

i find having no hydra game can be refreshing once in awhile, not everygame should have them. As a mod i dislike hydras because they are the ones i always expect to have activity issues either one head not playing or both because neither had time and they just signed up with assumption other will carry it.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:55 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 8, Dannflor wrote:I don't find hydras very fun to play with personally

I'm fine with them existing and there being games for them existing as a concept but I prefer that they are not the norm
Having been around an incredibly long time it's interesting to watch site opinion in general change over time. At one point they were arguably too popular. So popular in fact that running them in normal games became a big enough issue for an outright ban to be issued on their use in normals. Even after that ban a lot of the sentiment I saw on Hydras was that more people tended to enjoy being able to play in games with them than not.

Now it seems like the opposite is true. (At least from perusing this thread.) It's just funny to watch the site's sentiment on hydras change over time as much as is has.
Yume
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She/They

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:53 am

Post by Yume »

In post 28, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 11, Yume wrote:You know what? Since the fact that many of us like hydras are clearly a personal affront to those who don't, then how about we who like them leave the site for good and make our own where hydras are allowed?! You can keep this one for all I care!!!
for the love of god please do.
I don't like the fact you're calling hydras 'heinous' or being dismissive of players who need them to play. If you are gonna cry harassment because I called you out on it, that's your choice.
Show
Whatever the chains placed upon me
Whatever the prison, my soul has the key
No money can buy, no power can still
No burden can break the unshakeable strength of my will

Mah best game

My alignment is what JJH says it is.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:57 am

Post by Ythan »

I don't see Shea calling hydras heinous or being dismissive of anyone or crying harassment.
Yume
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:59 am

Post by Yume »

In post 33, Ythan wrote: I don't see Shea calling hydras heinous or being dismissive of anyone or crying harassment.
In post 26, Thestatusquo wrote: I don't care, they break the fundamental premise of mafia.

They are truly heinous and shouldn't be allowed in forum mafia in any capacity.
Here, he calls them heinous and claims he 'doesn't care' that there are users who need them to play. It's all there.
Last edited by Yume on Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show

Mah best game

Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:59 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

She is referring to how she spent this morning harassing me via PM while I continually asked her to stop, was asked by the mods to stop, so now has taken to digging up posts from 3-4 months ago to continue harassing me about this.

So, some context for you.
Yume
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:01 am

Post by Yume »

In post 35, Thestatusquo wrote: She is referring to how she spent this morning harassing me via PM while I continually asked her to stop, was asked by the mods to stop, so now has taken to digging up posts from 3-4 months ago to continue harassing me about this.

So, some context for you.
Go on, continue hiding behind harrassment to avoid being held accountable for being dismissive of people who need hydras to play.
Show

Mah best game

Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:02 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Anyway yume I don't really know what you're trying to accomplish here but I think it would be best for you if you just left me alone.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:03 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Is the implication that I am somehow ableist because I think hydras are breaking the fundamental social contract of mafia? That's a wild claim, but go on.
Yume
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:04 am

Post by Yume »

I am trying to make you understand that your attitude towards hydras is hurting people, and being dismissive of their claims that they need hydras to play is wrong, but I was asked to stop, so I will.

P.S. Stop gaslighting me. Let's just agree to disagree, okay?
Show

Mah best game

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:40 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

While I don’t think Yume’s recent posting here is in any way warranted, I believe the same reasoning you don’t like hydras could be used as a platform to target certain people, Shea. I’m not aiming to insinuate that’s your intent, just that someone else could make similar arguments with bad intentions.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:38 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 31, Zachrulez wrote:
Having been around an incredibly long time it's interesting to watch site opinion in general change over time. At one point they were arguably too popular. So popular in fact that running them in normal games became a big enough issue for an outright ban to be issued on their use in normals. Even after that ban a lot of the sentiment I saw on Hydras was that more people tended to enjoy being able to play in games with them than not.

Now it seems like the opposite is true. (At least from perusing this thread.) It's just funny to watch the site's sentiment on hydras change over time as much as is has.
Since this topic has been apparently revived since my last post I'll just add that if I were ever to play again on this site it would more likely than not be as part of a hydra than individually. Especially with the site culture shifts toward playing faster over shorter periods of time. I would definitely prefer to divide playing responsibilities with someone else than take it all on my own.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:00 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

You see, hydra is a very dangerous mythological monster with 9 serpentine heads. Normally if you encounter one, your first choice should be staying very far away from it (did you know that one of its head is
immortal
???), instead of playing Mafia with it. You don’t want to be eliminated pre-game in a gruesome way.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:37 am

Post by Ythan »

In post 42, GuyInFreezer wrote: Normally if you encounter one, your first choice should be
Did not get the meme I was expecting.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:24 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Your knowledge of mythology is questionable
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 21, Meuh wrote: I mean with the site already struggling to fill games, having a higher density of players within less slots probably wouldn't help.
That's really the only reason why I'm ok with less hydras nowadays. Back then, I'm fine with people being able to use hydras because the idea of two minds coming together is fun. That is all. Now, we don't have the room the spare.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”