RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #875 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:24 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 850, mastina wrote:
In post 259, RH9 wrote:I just realised that scum has been NKing every single Town Tracker. One would think that they're trying to get a scum Tracker.
We sure wanted that narrative! :P

Ironically, the scum tracker power was legit the most worthless of them to have, so no, we didn't want it. And no, we didn't fear the tracker tracking on the council, either. One of the scum's powers was an ability that would nullify the tracker's track if need be. We didn't care about town having it, we didn't want it, but giving the
narrative
we wanted it? That, that was worth it. xD
I see.
Did scum also have other secret abilities?
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #876 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:30 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 781, Andresvmb wrote:and a lot of us fell into thinking mastina was Town when they were acting completely anti-Town and nonsensical. Like giving them a pass for that has got to feel bad in a way but is also an important lesson.
Actually that was me mimicking my townplay. xD
For instance, the N1 Kingsguard was the towniest I've ever been in a PT--that wasn't me as scum; that was me as town. (Btw the theory in there remains true. I wasn't arguing some insane theory; I was arguing the truth. What I said there was 100% actually the case.)

The
actual
scumtell there was in how I wasn't actually pushing HARD enough. I was pushing nonsense but I wasn't pushing hard enough.
Except when it was to defend scum.

Check the strength of my Dannflor push versus my VP push--I avoided pushing Dann at all; I pushed VP hard.
Check the strength of my Johnny defense versus my Dwlee/Datisi defense--I didn't defend Johnny at all; I hardcore defended both Dwlee and Datisi.

It wasn't the craziness of the push; it was who I was focusing the pushes on and the alignment of them.

Also I lurked hardcore compared to my towngame.

I'm not gonna pretend I was remotely town this game.
I was scum in twenty different ways.

But nonsensical "anti-town" behavior (I was actually being pro-town in it and my theory remains true. I didn't argue nonsense; I argued things that were actually TMI in me knowing they were true when the town wouldn't) was not among them.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #877 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:31 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 803, Thestatusquo wrote:I think this is just the most likely world. Scum was planning on going all in and almost got there but didnt because they didnt expect the pressure on datisi to start the day it did, and after that all their plans were just kind of scuffed.
Yeah.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #878 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:32 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 804, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:the day dann died was mylo and if he hadn't awoled you couldve forced a win on miselimination of any of the LHFs
To be fair we didn't think about it until the day of the Datisi elim.

We probably wouldn't have effectively no-killed if I had done the math prior to then.
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #879 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:35 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 878, mastina wrote:
In post 804, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:the day dann died was mylo and if he hadn't awoled you couldve forced a win on miselimination of any of the LHFs
To be fair we didn't think about it until the day of the Datisi elim.

We probably wouldn't have effectively no-killed if I had done the math prior to then.
Wait.
Did you no-kill?

v/la every weekend

mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #880 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:37 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 805, MathBlade wrote:Agreed :) Datisi = scum mvp
For the record I feel like I was also very important; I was making almost every shot in the scum PT, including having mapped out the win conditions we had. If Datisi hadn't died with 13p alive, then we would've probably have won right there from the gamble I cooked up.

Is why I felt so defeated.

All of the good things I did were behind-the-scenes but when they become seen, then it'll be shown why this was a very good scumgame for me.

And it didn't matter.

If all which was there to my scumgame was what was shown in the main gamethread I'd not feel bad about the loss at all, it'd be an "oh well, move on" thing, because my dayplay here was nothing special. It wasn't anything remarkable. I did nothing incredible by dayplay.

But by behind-the-scenes play it was genuinely a strong scumgame of mine and I just...it meant nothing.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #881 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:38 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 817, fireisredsir wrote:also agree that datisi played well. will wait to read the scum pt but i talked in the PTs last night that i kinda doubted that going all in for mechanical victory would be datisi's first choice of plan and things might have ended up better if scumteam played more standard.
Datisi explicitly had me giving a huge amount of feedback on his actions. :P
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #882 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:43 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 880, mastina wrote:
In post 805, MathBlade wrote:Agreed :) Datisi = scum mvp
For the record I feel like I was also very important; I was making almost every shot in the scum PT, including having mapped out the win conditions we had. If Datisi hadn't died with 13p alive, then we would've probably have won right there from the gamble I cooked up.

Is why I felt so defeated.

All of the good things I did were behind-the-scenes but when they become seen, then it'll be shown why this was a very good scumgame for me.

And it didn't matter.

If all which was there to my scumgame was what was shown in the main gamethread I'd not feel bad about the loss at all, it'd be an "oh well, move on" thing, because my dayplay here was nothing special. It wasn't anything remarkable. I did nothing incredible by dayplay.

But by behind-the-scenes play it was genuinely a strong scumgame of mine and I just...it meant nothing.
My sympathies.
I look forward to reading your scumgame.

v/la every weekend

mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #883 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:50 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 848, MathBlade wrote: Like you’re one of the players I look up to.
At my peak I'm worth that.

But my peak has been more and more destructive--I've not had a game in like six months where I haven't received a warning from the game mod and/or the listmods. Even if the culmination of this doesn't result in me actually getting on the ban list (which, well, I wouldn't be surprised if it did and it would be deserved), the fact that every game is risking getting me there should tell you everything you need to know.

I'm not fit to play mafia. I'm tethering on the edge of getting banned every game and heck may have already crossed it. If every game brings me closer to getting banned from playing games, that means I shouldn't be playing games. Especially since the warnings add up and are cumulative. They don't go away, they are remembered and stack up so each will be more severe/harsh than the last.

All of that, aside from one more thing.

Mafia is genuinely destroying my life. I've been late for work, skipped workouts, missed out on meals, missed out on hygiene, skipped out on doing things with friends and communities to play...it's not worth it.

I already knew about that from my townplay.
But this game is proving it true for my scumplay too.

So like. mastina just needs to go away. For how long, I dunno.
But I need to not be around.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #884 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:57 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 883, mastina wrote:
In post 848, MathBlade wrote: Like you’re one of the players I look up to.
At my peak I'm worth that.

But my peak has been more and more destructive--I've not had a game in like six months where I haven't received a warning from the game mod and/or the listmods. Even if the culmination of this doesn't result in me actually getting on the ban list (which, well, I wouldn't be surprised if it did and it would be deserved), the fact that every game is risking getting me there should tell you everything you need to know.

I'm not fit to play mafia. I'm tethering on the edge of getting banned every game and heck may have already crossed it. If every game brings me closer to getting banned from playing games, that means I shouldn't be playing games. Especially since the warnings add up and are cumulative. They don't go away, they are remembered and stack up so each will be more severe/harsh than the last.

All of that, aside from one more thing.

Mafia is genuinely destroying my life. I've been late for work, skipped workouts, missed out on meals, missed out on hygiene, skipped out on doing things with friends and communities to play...it's not worth it.

Would you be willing to help me mod a unique setup? I just don’t want to lose a good friend :(
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #885 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:03 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 857, VP Baltar wrote:Had Datisi flipped town, town would have had two confirmed towns and the cop would have gone to a stronger town read at that point. I don't see how that's scumsiding at all.
The council had reason to be all-town at that point (there was a failed nightkill that made no sense if the council had any scum on it), and the council was deliberately leaving the protectives off of Datisi. That saves coin allowing for more cop checks, or forces scum to kill Datisi, or allows the doctor to protect against another nightkill.

It also keeps the scum from having any chance to join a council they're not on--if the council was all town, eliminating Datisi and nightkilling literally any council member would mean there wasn't enough positions to fill within the conftown. So you'd need to select an unconfirmed player with Datisi dead (and role assigned to existing council) + council member killed.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #886 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:07 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 859, VP Baltar wrote:I think this was a smart play tbh. I have no idea if I ever would have turned on GL, but he and Datisi were on my "needs regular sanity check" list.
Yeah, the smartness of the play and it meaning nothing are why I'm just...not feeling like existing in mafia games.

We didn't play
perfectly
, and some of our decisions were arguably mistakes--but the decisions we made were still made
intelligently
, with having weighed the risks and rewards and coming up with a clear plan and steering the game in the way we wanted it to go and it was going so well until it suddenly and abruptly didn't.

We expected the failed nightkill on the tracker to give the entire council locktown status when it came to light.

And then somehow it was the opposite, where the people off the council were pushing exclusively members of the council after a failed nightkill that by all rights
should
have spewed them all as town.
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #887 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:13 pm

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 883, mastina wrote:one more thing.

Mastina, I have over all enjoyed my interactions with you on site.

Seeing this made me want to share an except of something I sent to someone else when they were debating retireing from mafia games.

"Hobbies should be fun, and you should have fun doing them. Of course, everything will have less then fun moments, but if there are not more positive, fun times in the experience, then the frustrating, anti-fun times in the experience, then that is a problem.

For me personally, the Positive Experiences are more frequent then the Negative Experiences, which is why I am still signing up for games

But I also know several people who don't feel that way. The frustrations, whether is be from getting misread/miselimed, not listened to, or when games can get toxic, end up being a sum-total more then the sum-total positives feeling of trying to solving the puzzle as town or fighting for the scum win or just being online with people you like.

While I someone who does enjoy playing Forum Mafia, I am of the opinion that if the frustrations are more then the positives, then I think that not playing can be the right decision on a personal level. Hobbies should be fun, and should be over all positive experiences!"

If you are feeling like the negatives are more then the positives, while it would feel odd to not see you on site, on a personal level I hope that you prioritize spending time on things that generate an overall positive experience for you in your life.

If that means stopping signing up for mafia games, I would fully support you making that decision. And if you ever think that your situation or perspecitve has changed enough that mafia games would be a net positive for you again, I would be happy to see you back then too

<3
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #888 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:16 pm

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 885, mastina wrote:So you'd need to select an unconfirmed player with Datisi dead (and role assigned to existing council) + council member killed.
At the time that datisi was killed, Titus only had the lord commander role. So, it was the perfect time to hand the reigns of the cop over to her.

Titus being "cleared" by Datisi with only one council role, was a pretty big factor in my mind on the calculus of killing Datisi.

I think that killing Datisi was the right play, even if it turned out that Datisi was town tbh.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #889 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:40 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

On the retirement note, take time off. I took like 7 years off. I am having more fun playing mafia now than when I stopped because I don't take it so serious anymore. Time away is good if it doesn't feel like fun anymore
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #890 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:45 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 863, fireisredsir wrote:town made the right play and it's pretty rude to pretend that we were throwing by doing it when it literally won the game
Town making a play that should lose them the game happening to win the game because it happened to be the right play in spite of every appearance suggesting it should be the wrong play,

Is indeed something I would call objectively throwing, throwing that would be throwing in 99% of the case but since we were in the 1% it so happened to not be a throw. (Pooky pls don't be mad at me at the wording, am using fireisredsir's wording here.)

You had reasons to scumread Datisi, but don't pretend that every vote on Datisi did. The only other slot I think which expressed play-based reasons was GuiltyLion. (Well, that and Roden who ironically was off the wagon.)

LLD didn't (the closest she got was "mastina doesn't look like she's leaving behind a will and is still alive, therefore Datisi scum with her" when she literally had access to the proof that wasn't the case because I had done exactly that in the nonsupporters PT and kingsguard N1 and there were reasons for me to still be alive); furtiveglance didn't (his reasons were survivalistic); UNOwen didn't; Drapion explicitly didn't (Drapion explicitly said he was throwing the game with his vote); Enchant didn't (he just did what Enchant does).

It wasn't throwing the game because Datisi was actually scum but he had every reason to not be. There was a paper trail, but don't pretend that the trail was perfect just because it was true. Don't pretend that just because it happened to be what happened that arguing it happened was the most logical conclusion that didn't have flaws, didn't have counterpoints.

There was literally a failed nightkill in a council where a scum-Datisi knew exactly where the protections were.
That failed nightkill literally gave the town an extra elimination, something which a scum Datisi wouldn't want to do because as a cop he would need to clear more players.
The mastina check wasn't something objectively bad; literally half the town explicitly called it a good check.
That was true for each check, too; they were called good checks.

While there was a "Datisi cleared LLD and LLD is scum" narrative, that LLD hard-pushed Datisi was proof that wasn't a world we were in.

There were mechanical reasons for Datisi to be town; there were mechanical reasons for eliminating Datisi to be a bad idea. If Datisi were town then eliminating him when given those mechanical reasons would've been a bad idea. There was a trail showing how Datisi
could
be scum, but that trail was something which in a balance of probability would be ruled improbable: paranoia, compared to the reasons for Datisi to be town.

Having Datisi be eliminated the night after there was reason for Datisi to be conftown was something which shouldn't have happened. Any fears of "the scum could have endgame tools"
should
have been countered by the fact that a failed nightkill meant they couldn't use those tools.

The argument that Datisi gave up a scum kill, giving the town an extra elimination, in order to try and endgame when by having given up a nightkill he delayed any possible endgame, is in of itself contradictory. It literally makes no sense. If Datisi wanted to endgame then sacrificing a kill would explicitly go against that objective. If Datisi wasn't trying to endgame then a kill being sacrificed made sense, but in that case it should've been okay to give an extra day.

Basically, if Datisi were intending to endgame, a failed nightkill would prevent that from happening, so the failed nightkill meant it wasn't possible to do and thus that Datisi could be kept alive. If Datisi weren't intending to endgame, then an endgame wasn't possible to do and thus Datisi could be kept alive. By every logical metric, "Datisi let a failed kill go through" and "Datisi as scum can endgame the town if not eliminated today" should've been mutually exclusive arguments.

Yet they were made in tandem and so happened to be correct--in spite of the logical contradiction involved. Don't pretend the contradiction wasn't there just because it happened to be the correct deduction. It being correct doesn't make it be the most logical option; it was explicitly illogical. It explicitly had huge gigantic flaws in narrative. It happened to be the narrative in the game (largely because I was the one making the shots and scumastina is highly illogical), but it wasn't at all obvious, it wasn't at all a default assumption.

It was akin to yolovigging a claimed cop--in 95% of games that would earn disdain from the inevitable town cop flip because of having a paranoia read on "but what if the cop claim is scum". Yet because it was the 5% where actually the cop
was
scum, after the fact, people don't complain because it happened to work out when 95% of the time it wouldn't have.

An action that should cripple the town, is an action that would be a throw--but when it so happens to do the opposite, does that magically make it be okay? Does that make performing the action which should be a throw, be less of an action which should be a throw? I would say no. An action which should be a throw is still an action which should be a throw, even if it turns out to be the opposite.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #891 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:49 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 868, VP Baltar wrote:
In post 867, mastina wrote:
In post 649, Datisi wrote:
In post 648, VP Baltar wrote:We're you ever going to kill me?
no, we were intending to keep you alive. at the time of discussing nightkills, anyway.
Yeah I hard-vetoed the idea of ever killing VP Baltar here.

There was one instance which would allow us to have justified it, but in all other cases, I was vehemently against it; we wanted VP Baltar alive unless it was the town to end his life.
Why?
Well that'd technically be spoilers but basically, we felt that you would do more damage dead than alive: you'd already caused the most possible damage possible with your Dwlee push. Literally nothing you could do would make you even more of a threat.

So everything you did from there would, explicitly, only be downhill from there. You did the most protown thing you could, so after having done the most protown thing you could, killing you would've kept you at the most protown you could be, level.

Keeping you alive tho, that allows you to go from most protown possible, to less than that, and less than the most protown possible, is an asset to the scum, essentially. (I can't share details since those are technically spoilers. But basically, I didn't think you would be any more of a threat than you were, and past that point would progressively become less and less of one, and more and more of an asset.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #892 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:56 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 875, RH9 wrote:Did scum also have other secret abilities?
Just the council powers.

Which we couldn't realistically use outside of endgame, except the useless ones that did nothing. Heck most of them did nothing.

The three instakill powers were strong, but they would instantly out there being scum on the council--meaning we couldn't use them except to trigger an endgame. The town had too many tools to remove scum from the council positions and prevent scum from getting in. Using the powers and outing scum being on the council was never worth it when scum didn't have a way to get back on once kicked off.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #893 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:58 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 879, RH9 wrote:Did you no-kill?
Technically, no, we shot at Firebringer. (Not really a spoiler since it doesn't rule out Firebringer being scum.)

We just knew exactly where the protections were, so it was a no-kill because we knew that Firebringer would be protected. (Remember, minimum of two scum on council, both involved in that decision process. We knew who was being protected and deliberately shot at those being protected.)
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #894 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:00 pm

Post by MathBlade »

I will miss you Mastina. Please say hi when you feel it healthy. <3
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #895 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:02 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 884, MathBlade wrote:Would you be willing to help me mod a unique setup? I just don’t want to lose a good friend :(
Sure! Not playing doesn't mean I'll be leaving the site, so I'm down to help mod.

It's just.

I can't play on mastina.

I'm literally arguing even when dead. Defending things that are not worth defending. It's not worth defending my theorytalk here. And yet I've spent two hours essentially saying I'm not wrong from a theoretical point in spite of the theory not being true in the actual game being played.

That says enough.
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #896 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:03 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 892, mastina wrote:
In post 875, RH9 wrote:Did scum also have other secret abilities?
Just the council powers.

Which we couldn't realistically use outside of endgame, except the useless ones that did nothing. Heck most of them did nothing.

The three instakill powers were strong, but they would instantly out there being scum on the council--meaning we couldn't use them except to trigger an endgame. The town had too many tools to remove scum from the council positions and prevent scum from getting in. Using the powers and outing scum being on the council was never worth it when scum didn't have a way to get back on once kicked off.
I see.

v/la every weekend

RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #897 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:04 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 893, mastina wrote:
In post 879, RH9 wrote:Did you no-kill?
Technically, no, we shot at Firebringer. (Not really a spoiler since it doesn't rule out Firebringer being scum.)

We just knew exactly where the protections were, so it was a no-kill because we knew that Firebringer would be protected. (Remember, minimum of two scum on council, both involved in that decision process. We knew who was being protected and deliberately shot at those being protected.)
That's interesting.
By the way, could scum actually shoot at themselves?

v/la every weekend

mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #898 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:12 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 887, Lukewarm wrote:"Hobbies should be fun, and you should have fun doing them.
The truly twisted part is that
I still have fun

Mafia is literally destroying my game and I'm becoming toxic as fuck, but I am still having fun.

There are always less than fun moments, but I always look at my games with positives, and fun. I see all of the fun and truly believe that it DOES outweigh the negatives. Looking at my mafia games, they feel like the positive is always greater than any frustration.

And yet there's a disconnect there between objective reality and subjective feeling.

Objectively, mafia is destroying my life and I know it's not healthy.

But subjectively, it feels fine, like I'm doing great, that mafia is the highlight of my life.

I have fun, and it feels like the fun outweighs the downsides.

Yet I objectively know that's not true even tho subjectively it is.

Kinda fucked up tbh.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #899 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:12 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 897, RH9 wrote:By the way, could scum actually shoot at themselves?
Yup, they could!

Return to “Completed Game Topics”