Song Contest 199 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Song Contest 199 (Results posted!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:52 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Welcome to the One-Hundred-and-Ninety-Ninth Song Contest!
This contest is sponsored by Chinese warlord Yuan Shao's defeat of Gonsung Zan at the Battle of Yijing in 199 CE.

Submit your song via this FANCY FORM!

What is the MafiaScum Song Contest?

The MafiaScum Song Contest is a competition modeled after the annual Eurovision Song Contest. It's a means to gain exposure to new music through the tastes of your peers, like it or not. Those that enter must also vote for the people they are running against based on how much they like the songs. Everyone picks an alias in the form of a country (any one of your choosing) and sends in a song that they like in order to expose it to the other contestants. After voting, they are tallied in the thread and a winner is named. No matter who wins, everyone wins by gaining new knowledge of songs, artists, albums and genres of music in the process!

List of Previously Entered Songs

How to Participate in the Song Contest:

1. Find a song that you like on any internet medium that isn't restricted or private.

2. Submit it via the form linked above!

3. After submitting, you must confirm that you've entered by either posting in this thread or sending a PM to the Song Contest account.

4. Wait until I reveal the entries. You may or may not be cut (as stated at the end of this post).

5. Once entries are revealed, you will rank your top 10 countries! You will do this via a Google Form link to be provided later. The point values are as follows:
12 points - 1st
10 - 2nd
8 - 3rd
7 - 4th
6 - 5st
5 - 6th
4 - 7th
3 - 8th
2 - 9th
1 - 10th
Please rate fairly by giving all countries a listen. You may not vote for yourself. Everyone, regardless of entry or cut status, may vote, so you can still participate even if you chose not to enter or if you got cut! However, if those that entered and are accepted do not vote, they will get a point penalty (see below), so please consider that before entering.

6. Wait for results. It's that simple!

What entries are/aren't allowed?

In order to eliminate bias, certain entries based on previous performance are banned. After dozens of contests and a following of a vague "Code of Ethics" by the Song Contest population, there have been so many entries that a rule system is now in place as to what can and cannot be entered. Please refer to the list of entered songs linked above and CTRL+F your artist AND song name to make sure it isn't included in the following list.

What isn't allowed?

-You cannot enter an artist that has won ANY contest in the past, no matter how far away that contest is.
-You cannot enter an artist that has been entered in the last 15 contests.
-You cannot enter a song that has been entered before, regardless of placement. (You can enter a cover or different version of that song.) For example: You cannot enter in "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes, but you can enter in "The Hardest Button to Button" by The White Stripes.
-You cannot enter an artist that has achieved a top-three finish in a Battle of the Best. For example: You may not enter anything by the Doves, as they got 2nd in a BotB.
-You cannot enter something that is not a 'song'. We generally interpret this term very loosely, but here are some examples:

Things considered a song: Anything created with an actual artist and song title that is INTENDED for the listener, even if it's painful to listen or even if there's nothing included (Examples: Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit, Eminem - Lose Yourself, Barney - I Love You, John Cage - 4'33, Sunn 0))) - 0))) Bow 1, etc.)

Things not considered a song: Anything without an artist or title, a video clip of something random, a comedy routine (unless it's an actual song a la Stephen Lynch), a large square wave, an animal barking, total silence not being attributed to an artist, etc. (Examples: A clip of a comedian's standup special, an ibex screeching, a clip of a game show, a clip of someone screaming, etc.)

I will let you know if your entry does not meet the criteria of a 'song', but it should be fairly obvious.

What IS allowed, then?

-You can enter an artist that has achieved second place or lower at least 15 contests ago, as long as you do not repeat a song by that artist.
-You can enter an artist that reached the top three in a song contest, unless it won that contest or also got top three in a Battle of the Best.
-You can enter a different version of a song entered before, such as a cover (or the original if the cover was entered first). For example, Johnny Cash's Hurt has already been entered, but you can still enter Nine Inch Nails' version of Hurt.

Other than that, you're good! If your entry violates one of these rules, you'll have until the deadline to fix it or we reserve the right to deny your entry (as if you haven't entered one at all) due to time constraints.

Voting

Anyone is welcome to vote regardless of whether they've entered a song into the contest, but
those who entered songs are required to vote
. If you enter a song and fail to vote, you will be penalized in the form of deductions from the points your song earned from other people's votes (see below).

If fewer than 75% of the people who entered the contest have voted by the end of the first deadline, the voting deadline will be extended, and anybody who hasn't voted will get a penalty. This process will repeat until either 75% of entrants vote or until 16 days have passed (three extensions). As more extensions are needed, those who haven't voted yet will receive escalating penalties, as follows:

-If you fail to vote and fewer than three extensions are needed: You lose 12 points
-If you vote after the first extension: You lose 5 points
-If you vote after the second extension: You lose 10 points
-If you vote after the third extension: You lose 15 points
-If you fail to vote, even after three extensions: You lose 20 points

Ties in final scores will be broken in favour of the entry with the most first-place rankings, then the most second-place rankings, and so on.

All ballots received before the final results are posted will be accepted, even if they come in after deadline.

Reserved Countries

Barbados
Czechia
Greenland
Israel
Kenya
Mali
Namibia
North Saturn
Palau
Peru
San Marino
Singapore
Syria
Tristan
USA

Deadline for entries is Monday, 1 May at 11:59 p.m. Greenwich Mean Time.

Spoiler: If we get more than 26 entries, the 26 participants in the competition will be decided based on the following criteria:
1. First-time entrants

2. Last winner (Aisa)

3. Current Song Contest Team (ChannelDelibird)

4. Any entrant who was cut in the period of the last 3 contests (except those cut for not voting) and has not used their guaranteed bid.
3 Contests remaining: Nobody!
2 Contests remaining: Nobody!
1 Contest remaining: Nobody!

5. Everyone to whom rules 1-4 or 6 do not apply

6. Any entrant who failed to vote in the previous contest

Anyone who does not make the cut is guaranteed a spot in one of the next three contests.
Last edited by Song Contest on Sat May 13, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:52 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Entries!

Votes are due on Saturday 13 May at 11.59pm (23.59) Greenwich Mean Time!

RedHook ft. Sly Withers - Soju

Sonido Gallo Negro - Bocanegra

Kelela - Raven

Yoasobi - Idol

Deerhunter - Desire Lines

Cub Sport - Come On Mess Me Up

Cigarbox Man - Hollywood

Tom Odell - Heal

Joulez - Lon La-bul

As Cities Burn - Pirate Blues

Kansas - Dust in the Wind

Dodie - Ready Now

Hortus Animae - Bible Black

Manchester Orchestra - Angel of Death

Nobody was cut!
Last edited by Song Contest on Mon May 01, 2023 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:29 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

/in but idk what to enter
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:53 am

Post by Pink Ball »

/in and I already entered
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:54 am

Post by DeasVail »

/in
Merlyn
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:37 pm

Post by Merlyn »

/in, and submitted. No idea what people will think of this song!
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:21 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

in b4 200
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:05 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Ego so I might join :)
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:55 am

Post by Skygazer »

/in
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Empathice
Empathice
Goon
Empathice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:50 pm

Post by Empathice »

\/\/in
emrysmoonchild
emrysmoonchild
Townie
emrysmoonchild
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:20 am

Post by emrysmoonchild »

/in with a song that makes my heart ache every time
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:06 am

Post by Nexus »

/in
Trans rights are human rights.
BS2000
BS2000
Goon
BS2000
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:44 pm

Post by BS2000 »

/in with as flawless of an indie song as I've ever heard
i was going to learn the keyboard and write several ballads
But i went to a barbeque and got lost by the tater salad
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:34 am

Post by toolenduso »

Re-entering an underrated band
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:50 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

/in with an artist I could have sworn I'd previously entered
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
compulsive complex Inventor
biancospino
he/she
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:47 am

Post by biancospino »

/in
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon May 01, 2023 10:42 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Entries are up!
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue May 02, 2023 3:09 am

Post by Nexus »

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2aUPI ... 040bf34ab7

Link to Spotify playlist, apart from the Joulez song.
Trans rights are human rights.
Merlyn
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue May 02, 2023 5:24 am

Post by Merlyn »

Oh that's awesome, thanks Nexus
emrysmoonchild
emrysmoonchild
Townie
emrysmoonchild
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2023 6:33 am

Post by emrysmoonchild »

Eyyyy I’m back. Right before we hit the 200th song contest. That’s pretty nifty.

Let’s react to some songs, shalllll we? (Thanks for making that Spotify playlist, Nexus! That was super helpful.)

Spoiler:
Slovenia
- RedHook ft. Sly Withers - Soju
A bop. Love the chorus. Very “done with this shit” customer service rep vibes. Respect to the guitarist. AND THE FRICKIN SAXOPHONE!! Ooooh and the crowd singing along. Love that shit. I wish the chorus came back one more time to make that even more impactful, but still a really solid piece.

Lithuania
- Sonido Gallo Negro - Bocanegra
Alright. Funky. Takes me back to dorking around with an electronic keyboard with my cousin when we were kids. Got a bit weird and repetitive after a while.

Gibraltar
- Kelela - Raven
Got my attention right away. The Batman vibes. Gorgeous voice. “There’s nothing here to mourn” is a powerful line. YES IT BUILT UP TO SOMETHING EVEN COOLER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD. Oh! But it ended so suddenly. Dang, I wish it’d gone just a bit further.

USA
- Yoasobi - Idol
Super Smash Bros energy. Ooh key change. Dance-worthy. Rap that ascends into high-pitched madness? I’ll take it. Some very nice note sequences around the 2:40 mark. Cool ending.

Peru
- Deerhunter - Desire Lines
Strong intro. New Moon vibes. Kinda petered out halfway thru to the end, and it was just background noise. Still pleasant. And I don’t want to give it 0 points, so it makes the cut!

Wales
- Cub Sport - Come On Mess Me Up
Enya vibes at first, which I didn’t expect with the title. Lovely voice. Chorus makes me feel like I’m running down the street with friends at dusk, laughing and feeling like maybe good things can last forever.

Chile
- Cigarbox Man - Hollywood
It’s like a conglomeration of good sounds from different genres. Is it rock, is it country, is it indie? No, but also yes. Not quite my jam, but I’m not mad listening to it. Another one that ended when I thought it was building up to more.

Ireland
- Tom Odell - Heal
Mine. The piano gives me chills every time. And then Tom’s voice just… kills me. Especially when he says “heal, hell, heal” and his voice is all raw and emotional… And the last line “tell me some things last…” I heard this song when I was writing once, and I immediately knew it would play during a funeral scene, and my GOD it hurts me. And then it was the first credits song for a very sad movie that I love (If I Stay, if any of y’all need a good cry), so… yeah. This song resonates with my soul. It’s so simple but so deep.
IF I COULD VOTE: look, I know it’s not gonna be the top song, but maybe I need to stop trying to win and just… share songs I like? (man, does anyone else think I sound like xof? definitely not related, nope, not a bit)

Israel
- Joulez - Lon La-bul
I really appreciate that somebody else shared a mostly electronic song. I’m still not over that one time I shared a Seven Lions remix and someone commented, “do people still listen to dubstep?” and I was like…. uh…. do people NOT? Anyway, the singer’s voice in this is quite lovely, and the beat is good.

Yemen
- As Cities Burn - Pirate Blues
This has a timeless, raw beauty to it. “She’s not coming back” voice break is great, but the broken screams at the end are perfection. Sped-up guitar and drums near the end were a nice touch too, just for something different.

Denmark
- Kansas - Dust in the Wind
Does anybody not know this song? I grew up on this bread and butter. I actually heard Kansas perform this live at the New York State Fair back in 2017? Very nostalgic. And honestly, it’s a nice song. Solid Kansas choice. My fave growing up was Carry On, My Wayward Son, naturally, but maybe that one’s a tad overplayed? Anyway, I’ll give this a decent placement, but I’m not like jumping out of my seat, you know?

eSwatini
- Dodie - Ready Now
Intro is nice. I like how clearly she pronounces every syllable. Makes it really personable and sweet, like a friend whispering in your ear. Plus, it’s easy to understand the lyrics. Outro is even nicer. So relaxing. I’d listen to this on repeat.

Oz
- Hortus Animae - Bible Black
I’m intrigued by the title. Yep, sounds exactly like I thought it would! Ooh like a darker, rougher version of Trans Siberian Orchestra. Oof, 8 mins seems a bit long for this. There’d better be singing (narrator: there was not, in fact, singing). Oh hey, they sound like demons. Bible Black. Demonic. Got it. Getting “My Lullaby” from Lion King 2 vibes at 1:50 (the villains always have the best songs). (Hahaha pausing this to take a call at work was hilarious.) Sorry, I’m kind of rambling just trying to find positive things about a genre that isn’t my jam. Like, I think it’s good. The drum and guitar and keyboard are noticeably good. I would totally listen to a version without the vocals. Just give me those rockin’ instruments. DUDE THERE’S A VIOLIN. OKAY, I’M GIVING POINTS FOR THAT. IT’S REALLY FUCKIN’ PRETTY. Niiiice, ended on a whisper. (okay, I went back to find the time stamp for the “My Lullaby” comment, and I’m actually… jamming a little? Weird.)

Mali
- Manchester Orchestra - Angel of Death
Chill and energetic all at once. Damn, this guy’s voice is unique. I like it. This feels like the type of song that would have defined my high school experience, if I’d found it back then. I honestly love this, and I applaud the choice. YES I LOVE A GOOD BUILDUP. AHHH IT DID EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED AND MORE! Had to crank up the volume to feel it in my soul. Ending wasn’t my favorite (kinda veered off into something different and barely offkey in that offputting way that works in other stuff but felt weird here, but could’ve worked if they’d circled back to the original sound), but all in all, I really really liked this, and it deserves the top spot.

--
By the way, if your song was given a low point, I still liked it! I still had 2 more I would have gladly given points (I honestly struggled to figure out the order of my votes for like 5 mins because some of them were neck and neck with each other; Wales and eSwatini, I’m looking at you; my placements weren’t from best to worst; they were from AMAZING EXPERIENCE to PLEASANT EXPERIENCE). This was a stellar list. Good job, everyone.
Last edited by emrysmoonchild on Fri May 05, 2023 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
emrysmoonchild
emrysmoonchild
Townie
emrysmoonchild
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2023 6:54 am

Post by emrysmoonchild »

Guyyyys I can't fix the spoiler thing. I clicked on the thing labeled spoiler and I tried all kinds of methods to make sure I wasn't breaking it, but it just blacks it out and won't let us actually read it, unless you highlight it with your mouse.

Hellllllllp.
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2023 6:56 am

Post by biancospino »

Just put a = sign after the word "spoiler" in the opening tag

Code: Select all

[spoiler=]like this[/spoiler]
emrysmoonchild
emrysmoonchild
Townie
emrysmoonchild
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2023 7:00 am

Post by emrysmoonchild »

THANK YOU! OH MY GOD THAT WAS DRIVING ME NUTS.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2023 8:43 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

We've lost some people here, haven't we. Well, I'm glad to be back no matter what! :)

Spoiler: Slovenia: RedHook ft. Sly Withers - Soju

Ooo I really like this! It's got a good edge all around, but the actual music is really polished. It's definitely a way more approachable "fuck you" song than so many that I've come across. Like, looking at this I expected a very punk or heavier rock base to it, but instead it's more like easy listening Avril Lavigne, which I actually say as a compliment to it despite knowing that will be a detractor for many.

I could have done without the chant at the end, but it completes the song thematically. I just feel it detracts from it musically and in this case they put a lot into making this a very musical song, making that departure a but jarring.

Overall, I approve!

Spoiler: Lithuania: Sonido Gallo Negro - Bocanegra

This is what I would expect on a desert/Egyptian level of a side-scrolling video game. Simple, but it captures a certain aspect of worldbuilding that is very important.
It's a fun piece to listen to! I expected it to feel tired by the end, but it didn't.

Spoiler: Gibraltar: Kelela - Raven

Well this certainly is a mood!
I'm not sure what mood though.

I found it a little off-putting at the beginning, the effects were cool and the vocals were nice but they were so dissonant in structure and sound at some points I was a little uptight listening to it. As it got closer to the 3 minute mark I could feel it changing and felt the anticipation of the incoming beatz, which were a welcome release from the tension that built up to it. I would listed to the section from 3 minutes any time, and while I get the lead up is supposed to be impactful, I would have been happier without it. I may have missed something though. Maybe if the first part was a little shorter I'd be more down with it, but it went for so long and the dissonance distracted me from anything the story was trying to tell me.

Spoiler: USA: Yoasobi - Idol

I love me a good anime intro!
This was a fun song with a lot of movement to it. I liked that it wasn't as bubblegum as a lot of these are. It felt a lot deeper, a bit broody even. The spoken/rapped bits were well done as well and I think they added to the piece rather than distracting from it. I wasn't a huge fan of the key change that occurred in the last quarter of the song but it was effective in increasing the tension of the piece without having to change the composition at all, which I can definitely appreciate.

Spoiler: Peru: Deerhunter - Desire Lines

Did I miss a memo that we're supposed to highlight dissonance this round or something?
I don't entirely mind this, the guitar is nice and whatnot. But where the last song felt driven, this one feels stagnant. I do get that it may be by design, the vocals play around with a single note and the guitar does pick that up near the end, droning on. It just doesn't feel like it went anywhere though.

Oh, the outro is still going. This is like, 3 minutes of monotony. If it didn't feel like it went anywhere before, I have bad news...

Spoiler: Wales: Cub Sport - Come On Mess Me Up

Now this is a song full of emotion. I can feel the broken soul behind it. The torn thoughts and feelings, the will to grow but the acceptance that he doesn't want to face that. How the present can be comforting even when it isn't good for you. How change is hard, but not changing something that hurts changes you in the end. This has a dissonance in its message that works really well without being musically dissonant. Great piece!

Spoiler: Chile: Cigarbox Man - Hollywood

At the start of this I thought the guys were trying to be like, hip or something. BUt as it went on I accepted that they know they're being silly and have embraced it. The Bohemian Rhapsody homage knocked that home for me. I really enjoyed the way they annunciated "light it up" and overall the vibes of this song were mellow and enjoyable.

Spoiler: Ireland: Tom Odell - Heal

This is really nice and I have to admit to being a sucker for straight vocals over simple instrumentation. It's a powerful way to emote a message.
I think I missed the message on this though. He's definitely trying to heal, but past that I didn't feel what he was trying to get me to. I just didn't feel as engaged as I need to be for a song like this to top the charts.

Spoiler: Israel: Joulez - Lon La-bul

The BPM on this song feels crazy, I think I counted it around 180 though it varied slightly when I was trying to match it as I'm definitely no drummer.
A lot of energy, but it was almost too fast for my liking. It felt rushed and almost like it was tripping over itself at some points.

Spoiler: Yemen: As Cities Burn - Pirate Blues

"Ya know kid, your parents used to do heavy drugs before you came around. And I'm doing them right now trying to write the next great song!"
I'm guessing the faster, messy instrumentals are supposed to capture the rush of the drugs and the wail which follows is the feeling of coming down.

It's not my style or my message, but I can appreciate some aspects of it.

Spoiler: Denmark: Kansas - Dust in the Wind

A classic! I have loved this song for a very long time and have nothing bad to say about it.
The imagery is so good, the setup of the song is simple but captures the message so well.
The violin break is fantastic! I think it's me favourite part of the whole piece in fact!
Everything may just be dust in the wind, but this piece is timeless!

Spoiler: eSwatini: Dodie - Ready Now

Ohey, it's my entry!
I love this song. It is so simple, but it captures its message so well!
I take a message of strength, or renewal and a fresh start, of the importance of someone who supports you and builds you up so you can stand tall and take the next leg of your journey on. This is what Sam is to Frodo. This is how journeys, big and small, get started.
I love the harmonies she hums, how well they support each other and how gracefully they weave together even if they come in at different times. It's quite beautiful.

Spoiler: Oz: Hortus Animae - Bible Black

Rrrrrrrrrrrr!

Spoiler: Mali: Manchester Orchestra - Angel of Death

This is nice, and very different from the rest of the contest entries.
Solid song, the instrumentation supports the vocals well and the imagery is good.
Nothing fantastic, but definitely enjoyable. I think it's a little bit away from my usual listening which would explain why it's not higher ranking for me, but it's well done.
- Jingle
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2023 8:52 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 19, emrysmoonchild wrote: Eyyyy I’m back. Right before we hit the 200th song contest. That’s pretty nifty.

Let’s react to some songs, shalllll we? (Thanks for making that Spotify playlist, Nexus! That was super helpful.)

Spoiler:
Slovenia
- RedHook ft. Sly Withers - Soju
A bop. Love the chorus. Very “done with this shit” customer service rep vibes. Respect to the guitarist. AND THE FRICKIN SAXOPHONE!! Ooooh and the crowd singing along. Love that shit. I wish the chorus came back one more time to make that even more impactful, but still a really solid piece.

Lithuania
- Sonido Gallo Negro - Bocanegra
Alright. Funky. Takes me back to dorking around with an electronic keyboard with my cousin when we were kids. Got a bit weird and repetitive after a while.

Gibraltar
- Kelela - Raven
Got my attention right away. The Batman vibes. Gorgeous voice. “There’s nothing here to mourn” is a powerful line. YES IT BUILT UP TO SOMETHING EVEN COOLER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD. Oh! But it ended so suddenly. Dang, I wish it’d gone just a bit further.

USA
- Yoasobi - Idol
Super Smash Bros energy. Ooh key change. Dance-worthy. Rap that ascends into high-pitched madness? I’ll take it. Some very nice note sequences around the 2:40 mark. Cool ending.

Peru
- Deerhunter - Desire Lines
Strong intro. New Moon vibes. Kinda petered out halfway thru to the end, and it was just background noise. Still pleasant. And I don’t want to give it 0 points, so it makes the cut!

Wales
- Cub Sport - Come On Mess Me Up
Enya vibes at first, which I didn’t expect with the title. Lovely voice. Chorus makes me feel like I’m running down the street with friends at dusk, laughing and feeling like maybe good things can last forever.

Chile
- Cigarbox Man - Hollywood
It’s like a conglomeration of good sounds from different genres. Is it rock, is it country, is it indie? No, but also yes. Not quite my jam, but I’m not mad listening to it. Another one that ended when I thought it was building up to more.

Ireland
- Tom Odell - Heal
Mine. The piano gives me chills every time. And then Tom’s voice just… kills me. Especially when he says “heal, hell, heal” and his voice is all raw and emotional… And the last line “tell me some things last…” I heard this song when I was writing once, and I immediately knew it would play during a funeral scene, and my GOD it hurts me. And then it was the first credits song for a very sad movie that I love (If I Stay, if any of y’all need a good cry), so… yeah. This song resonates with my soul. It’s so simple but so deep.
IF I COULD VOTE: look, I know it’s not gonna be the top song, but maybe I need to stop trying to win and just… share songs I like? (man, does anyone else think I sound like xof? definitely not related, nope, not a bit)

Israel
- Joulez - Lon La-bul
I really appreciate that somebody else shared a mostly electronic song. I’m still not over that one time I shared a Seven Lions remix and someone commented, “do people still listen to dubstep?” and I was like…. uh…. do people NOT? Anyway, the singer’s voice in this is quite lovely, and the beat is good.

Yemen
- As Cities Burn - Pirate Blues
This has a timeless, raw beauty to it. “She’s not coming back” voice break is great, but the broken screams at the end are perfection. Sped-up guitar and drums near the end were a nice touch too, just for something different.

Denmark
- Kansas - Dust in the Wind
Does anybody not know this song? I grew up on this bread and butter. I actually heard Kansas perform this live at the New York State Fair back in 2017? Very nostalgic. And honestly, it’s a nice song. Solid Kansas choice. My fave growing up was Carry On, My Wayward Son, naturally, but maybe that one’s a tad overplayed? Anyway, I’ll give this a decent placement, but I’m not like jumping out of my seat, you know?

eSwatini
- Dodie - Ready Now
Intro is nice. I like how clearly she pronounces every syllable. Makes it really personable and sweet, like a friend whispering in your ear. Plus, it’s easy to understand the lyrics. Outro is even nicer. So relaxing. I’d listen to this on repeat.

Oz
- Hortus Animae - Bible Black
I’m intrigued by the title. Yep, sounds exactly like I thought it would! Ooh like a darker, rougher version of Trans Siberian Orchestra. Oof, 8 mins seems a bit long for this. There’d better be singing (narrator: there was not, in fact, singing). Oh hey, they sound like demons. Bible Black. Demonic. Got it. Getting “My Lullaby” from Lion King 2 vibes at 1:50 (the villains always have the best songs). (Hahaha pausing this to take a call at work was hilarious.) Sorry, I’m kind of rambling just trying to find positive things about a genre that isn’t my jam. Like, I think it’s good. The drum and guitar and keyboard are noticeably good. I would totally listen to a version without the vocals. Just give me those rockin’ instruments. DUDE THERE’S A VIOLIN. OKAY, I’M GIVING POINTS FOR THAT. IT’S REALLY FUCKIN’ PRETTY. Niiiice, ended on a whisper. (okay, I went back to find the time stamp for the “My Lullaby” comment, and I’m actually… jamming a little? Weird.)

Mali
- Manchester Orchestra - Angel of Death
Chill and energetic all at once. Damn, this guy’s voice is unique. I like it. This feels like the type of song that would have defined my high school experience, if I’d found it back then. I honestly love this, and I applaud the choice. YES I LOVE A GOOD BUILDUP. AHHH IT DID EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED AND MORE! Had to crank up the volume to feel it in my soul. Ending wasn’t my favorite (kinda veered off into something different and barely offkey in that offputting way that works in other stuff but felt weird here, but could’ve worked if they’d circled back to the original sound), but all in all, I really really liked this, and it deserves the top spot.

--
By the way, if your song was given a low point, I still liked it! I still had 2 more I would have gladly given points (I honestly struggled to figure out the order of my votes for like 5 mins because some of them were neck and neck with each other; Wales and eSwatini, I’m looking at you; my placements weren’t from best to worst; they were from AMAZING EXPERIENCE to PLEASANT EXPERIENCE). This was a stellar list. Good job, everyone.
You have such nice things to say about everything! It's wonderful to see!

That used to be me, I'm not sure what happened hahaha

I'm glad you enjoyed my entry :)
After reading your reviews I kinda want to relisten to a few and give them another chance because I'm definitely missing something about them.
- Jingle

Return to “General Discussion”